Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

flyinsaucier posted:

I just came across this on The Onion; it's from February 2003, so some of you may have already read it.
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27769

Zombies' Downfall posted:

long book is long
Heh, I thought it was kind of funny, especially this: "One thing I found annoying was that you had to read all the way to the middle to figure out what things on the first page of the letter were talking about," Thompson said. "For instance, he kept referring to somebody named The Cackler without explanation until page 11, at which point I finally found out that The Cackler is my friend Renée—essentially forcing me to read the whole first 11 pages over again. And then there are all the footnotes. I always felt he overused those in his valentines, too." Plus, the image they have with the footnote is pretty on-the-nose.

Anyway, I read Consider the Lobster first and recently finished Infinite Jest. Really good book, although I have to say, I didn't read anything about it beforehand, so it was pretty funny speculating all along on how Hal in the first chapter would eventually get like that, and how slow the realization was as I got to page like 800 or so that hmm... he's not going to exactly tell me, is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread