Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

newtestleper posted:

Dave Eggers has definitely dialed back the postmodern tricks in his later novels, but his short story collections 'How We are Hungry' and 'Short Short Stories' still use a lot of these. His best writing is the short story 'Up the Mountain, coming down slowly', which definitely showcases his more mature side.

Thank god, because Eggers sucks whenever he ventures beyond a very basic style.

My favorite DFW book is Brief Interviews, because I like how well he could manipulate readers through the characters - I'd reach points in that book where I could almost identify with the horrible men (the three-person dialogue about post-feminism, especially), and then they'd say something to completely shatter it, and so on. They were very human that way, which may be a trite observation after some of the insightful comments in this thread, but that's what I came away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

aricoarena posted:

I was hoping that would have been more funny than sad, but it's just pathetic.

Yeah, I wish I could be surprised by a conservative talk show host being a pedantic whiny turd, but they all seem to be like that off the air. I totally understand why DFW didn't appear on his show, because he'd just sit there being ranted at and interrupted under the pretense of discussing his article.

Worse than Ziegler's personal grudge against Wallace, justified or not, is the bullshit about Wallace's death. Hate someone all you want, but using their suicide as an occasion to poo poo all over them is pretty low.

• Locked thread