Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I've read about 100 pages of Infinite Jest and I haven't really enjoyed it much. It's not really funny or interesting so far, and I haven't really gotten any insight from anything. So I don't know. I enjoyed the Gately and Erdedy parts.

I'm reading the two essay books Consider The Lobster and A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, I've enjoyed those a lot more. I find he is extremely good at mixing different types of essays/writing in a smooth way, the best example being maybe the Lynch essay which is part bio, part analysis, part set gossip, and goes off on many tangents. On the other hand, I do feel that sometimes he just endlessly describes things that aren't very interesting just for description's sake (the McCain essay in particular had a lot of 'filler' so to speak). His review-essays are more insightful.

I feel like I would enjoy Infinite Jest but so far I just end up reading large parts and thinking "I could have gone without reading that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I restarted Infinite Jest and am enjoying it more now.

For better or worse, it really does feel like he threw everything he knew, everything he could come up with, everything that might qualify as a 'concern' for him, and made a brick out of it.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
There's some parts of IJ I'd like to re-read, if anyone remembers the page numbers I'd appreciate it:

- the whole spiel about the increasingly evolving camera-phones and people's attempts to hide their faces.
- a part about how AA requires you to repeat mantras and believe in some higher power and how it works even if you don't believe in it.
- a part about how a depressed guy felt like every day and how his wife handled it.

• Locked thread