Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hoof and chase works regardless of skill level as long as you have 1 fast boi. This is one of the few soccer things I know about because I am stupid fast and used to run track. If you're recieving alot of pressure or your team cant string 3 passes together you have 1 fast boy sit between the fullback and the CB and when anyone in the backline gets the ball they literally kick the poo poo out of it to the agreed upon corner and all you do is ask your speed guy to go get it. Itll give everyone time to get shape and relax and get their poo poo together (as well as a mental break. Defense is draining) now if your speedy guy is good maybe he can shield it and buy some time for people to join the attack, play it back and re present himself as an option, or dribble around and try to win a corner or a fk. At worst though you give the back 4 a breather

That poo poo works from beer league to former pros and university players. But you gotta be fast.

E: I played semi regularly with a retired French ligue 1 guy who called me English. Not because I'm English but because he played mid and would often receive the ball and than just kick the poo poo out of it into the corner and I would go chase it like a dog. All he did was play the English long ball with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

If you're getting overrun and conceding sloppy goals, get two lads to just sit back and defend

Simple, correct, and seemingly impossible to get through to some people. Esp if you're down a few goals in the second half of the second half. People just start drifting up to chase a goal to salvage their week

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Ugh, had someone new join my team. I've played with her before and she's good and kind/humble on the field.

She misses the first two games due to sickness and then tells me before the third game that she's actually joining a different league. She's the only one on the team who hasn't paid so I'm screwed out of that money. I tell her about only paying for the two games she missed but she stopped responding to texts. I'm sure I'll see her on the field some day.

I've been managing teams since 2015 and been paid fully and then suddenly I have 3 straight seasons where I've had 1 person not pay. It's been driving me insane.

Geno fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 28, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally got onto a Sunday league team, 8v8 boardless, now I'm playing S/T/Th, loving hell yes incoming injuries

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
well! we played with the diamond against the league leaders and lost but we didnt concede from our restarts or pas it across the area. our finishing was ashit; we must have missed five 1-on-1s. stupid low goals. actauly we didnt really have much of the ball so we didnt play in a diamond except at ko. we just stuck to our manmarking and tried to block the shots. three more games then perhaps a new season somewhere else in london. anyone know any good 5aside monday leagues?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Breath Ray posted:

we just stuck to our manmarking and tried to block the shots.

were you not doing this beforehand? cos that might explain why you were concedeing so many

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
yea this is kinda key

Not saying you do this breath ray, but I have played on a number of teams where defenders sometimes will act like a goalie needs to stop everything that goes towards the goals and actually get out of the way to facilitate this. I mean no one like copping a whack from a futsal ball at close range but christ almighty have a glass of concrete mate we're tryna get a win so we can talk poo poo to the barmaid after the match. She's keen as gently caress to hear a bunch of lies of sweaty old fatties and I won't deny her that pleasure

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Tongues posted:

yea this is kinda key

Not saying you do this breath ray, but I have played on a number of teams where defenders sometimes will act like a goalie needs to stop everything that goes towards the goals and actually get out of the way to facilitate this. I mean no one like copping a whack from a futsal ball at close range but christ almighty have a glass of concrete mate we're tryna get a win so we can talk poo poo to the barmaid after the match. She's keen as gently caress to hear a bunch of lies of sweaty old fatties and I won't deny her that pleasure

You are so correct.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Playing on turf for the first time in ages. RIP my knees.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Playing on turf for the first time in ages. RIP my knees.

Turf is great, you won't step in a hole and explode your leg.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m not dead but the pellets have torn my feet up something fierce. Scored a few goals and made some goal line clearances.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Big ole blisters under my big toe, toward the outside edge. New turf shoes. Any easy fix?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Big ole blisters under my big toe, toward the outside edge. New turf shoes. Any easy fix?

Liquid bandage on the area next time you play, maybe thicker socks as well.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Turf sucks so much if you're a defender.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ka0 posted:

Turf sucks so much if you're a defender.

and if you're a goalkeeper, I've stopped playing small-sided games on artificial pitches because even the 3g stuff absolutely ruins your hips

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
First full sided senior match today in over a year, aside from when I tried to force my recovery playing in the ressies.

I've been eating starbursts all day this is going to be a disaster

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
https://gfycat.com/CrazyUnkemptArgusfish

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Played a boardless double-header tonight, scored a nice goal in traffic then blasted a penalty, Ander Herrera style. Can't wait to sail the next 3 into row Z, because I am now a disciple of that school

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
My second penalty in a row was saved, and this is in 5aside goals from 5ft away

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Tuesday 9v9 league team added a Serbian centerback and it's the best thing ever.

Dude is a maniac, flies all over the field and essentially defends the center by himself. It rules

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Took last season off football as we had our son and I'm the stay-at-home dad since iajWife travels a lot for work. Had my first game in a year and a half tonight and I am dead. Was supposed to be a game with heaps of subs but ended up with one on the bench, with an injury soon making that zero. Played the entire game in a variety of positions (centre back, centre mid, left back, foetal) and we acquitted ourselves reasonably well against a team three divisions above us.

I'm now half dead in bed with a scotch and Nurofen dreading the fact that my son will wake up some time tomorrow morning and I won't be able to just sleep forever. Definitely feeling that my birthday was a couple of weeks ago and I'm in my mid thirties...

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
sounds rough pal. any chance your wife could help raise your children and give you a night off once a week?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
To keep track of my team's attendance, I sent out a Google Calendar hit that sends everyone an email and they just click a Yes/No button as their response.

I get about 75% responding but the 25% that don't respond is the same every loving people every week and it's so annoying having to constantly text them just to ask if they're coming.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Geno posted:

To keep track of my team's attendance, I sent out a Google Calendar hit that sends everyone an email and they just click a Yes/No button as their response.

I get about 75% responding but the 25% that don't respond is the same every loving people every week and it's so annoying having to constantly text them just to ask if they're coming.

welcome to managing poo poo house cloggers

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

JFairfax posted:

welcome to managing poo poo house cloggers

the worst is one of my teammates used to text me asking what time the game is even though all he has to do is check his loving email OR check the website. I stopped replying to that text so he stopped texting me that while still showing up for the game.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Our opponents last night wore custom Blue Lives Matter shirts

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

Get Stuck In

E: playing for the first time in like six months tonight just a 7 on 7 small goal game. We'll see how bad my cardio is

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ok.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheBigAristotle posted:

Lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
is blue lives matter someting to do with Avatar"?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Had probably my best shooting night in the last 6 months and the opposing keeper saved 4, one hit the crossbar from distance, another hit the post. At least the first shot went in and we won

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
im the top scorer in my league thanks for belieivng in me guys

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ripped a ball into the top corner from about 12 yards out on the half-volley and it took the slightest deflection, dipping like crazy.

I basked in the adulation for a second, but quickly ratted myself out. Team is on a roll this season, 4-0, 40 goals, 8 conceded, and 5 were tonight, three in the last 3 minutes when it was out of reach.

We've been mid-to-lower-mid for the year and a half we've been playing, but made some great additions after some people quit, and now we're more balanced. Feels good

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Invited to play LB against the Miami Select FC, an u-18 travel team tuning up for a tournament. Pray for me

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Invited to play LB against the Miami Select FC, an u-18 travel team tuning up for a tournament. Pray for me

Early reducer

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Sounds like some young guns are about to get an object lesson in what happens when they take on a team of (forgive me but let's accept the current likely demographic of this forum) older club legends.

Our team either gets obliterated within minutes of the young team can hold possession at all or our platoon of fat old cunts eventually win via 1000 cuts.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
May not be true everywhere in the country, but from what I've seen it's shocking how much the floor (in anything above rec leagues, b-teams etc.) of american soccer has been raised in the last ~25 years.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I think that's the case in a lot of leagues internationally, the standard of the sport is changing massively. I'm not sure if you've seen that article analysing Noted poo poo Team Huddersfield of 2018/19 to Arsenal of ten years ago, but it was crazy to see how much the game has changed. Obviously it's apples and oranges to the local cloggers we play each week, but kids and coaches emulate the flashy sides and how they play. I think every coach I've seen pushes play out the back now, all ages and abilities.

How did you go against the rep side?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went to buy a new skill ball tonight, and Nike is the only one that stands up to a month or two of a German Shepherd.

Get to the counter, they tell me they're not allowed to sell them yet, this particular ball is for the Womens World Cup and they can't break street date. It's white and says Team USA

I had to get a Neymar branded ball instead :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
That ball is going to crumple at the first touch from your dog.