Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Knee injuries suck.

I agree with this 100%. I hurt my knee during an open night last year and it was upwards of 8 months before it was finally good to really play. Luckily I hurt it again shortly after that and was out for a few more months.

I'm also going to add that hamstrings suck. I tore mine crossing the street maybe 3 months ago (pretty sure I did the damage before that and it just kicked in then), took time off and rehabed it until it felt safe. Anyway 3 weeks ago I'm breaking into a run at maybe 70% max speed and boom. did the hammy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Ramagamma posted:

long thing about defending and slide tackling.

You sound a lot like me. Last league I played in (6 a side) I was one of the only people who defended in a physical way and I got a yellow in almost every game for sliding. Anyway, I was moved up front one game because we were playing a very short team (I'm only about 6' but I towered over these guys) and I started putting in goals, so I was never put in defense again and I didn't get another card.

Moving on, the day after the last game of the term I did my ACL in an open night, starting 2 years of miserable injuries keeping me off the field. Talking foot ligaments getting torn, thigh muscle getting torn, 2 hamstring injuries, and re-aggravating a previously broken foot to the point of requiring another surgery on it. So after all that I think it's a good idea to start playing again, I join my school's 6-a-side team (competitive local league, I've never played before at this level though) and I'm feeling good about it. I'm not really a skilled player at all, but during all our scrims I was scoring crazy amounts of goals and I got 1st striker.

Anyway about 3 days after I got told that I'm playing in an open game trying to get back to full stride and I do my ankle, out for 6 weeks with some sort of acute-strain according to my doctor.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah, but I'll be damned if that stops me.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Ramagamma posted:

Christ I feel sorry for some of you lads. I'm a fairly wee lad, although well built, and I tend to throw myself into challenges to a ridiculous degree for indoor football games and the worst I ever come out with is a few layers of skin off my knees.

lucky dog, I've had a rough string of injuries these past few years, 2010 was the worst for me. Out of the whole year I was healthy for no more than 5 months, with 2 bad ankle sprains like ephex posted, surgery on my previously broken foot, 2 torn hamstrings, and a torn tricep (that didn't keep me out of action.) I'm healthy again now but I'm taking time off. I'm trying to fight my way back to fitness since I've put on 35lbs during all this injury time. It's gotta come off before I think about playing again since, being total poo poo on the ball, all I had going for me was my fitness.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
played my first 11 a side match in like a loving decade today, I managed to score a goal, but I realized pretty quickly I hate everybody. We had 3 problems, first the other team plays together like 3 times a week and our team never played together. Second, our keeper decided to play poo poo long balls to the center of the field (which was totally controlled by the opposition) instead of passing short or to the wings. Third, there was one fat dude who was convinced he was (a poo poo) Ronaldinho (who hated passing)-he would try to flair past players and lose the ball, beat fit players for pace and lose the ball, and he was allergic to passing.

Anyway, I hated that guy. I was on the right wing, totally unmarked, and instead of putting it out to me he'd decide to run through 4 people through the middle. Consistently. Guy was poo poo and I hate him. Good thing it was just an open game and I don't have to deal with him weekly.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
The key after getting an own goal is surely to get yourself a red card, it doesn't redeem you but if you do it right it will change talking points after the game. (experience)

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I've been back playing for maybe 3-4 months after a series of injuries (knee ligaments, hamstring problems, IT band problems) that kept me out for about a year, and it was feeling pretty awesome. Well, it kept me out but it's not like I didn't get to play at all during that year, it as basically recover then get a new injury. So a little over a month ago I pulled my hamstring and was like "ah, well a strain; will sit out a few weeks, do light work, rehab it, avoid further injuries." Found myself able to play again, was playing surprisingly well when I landed wrong and hyper extended my knee.

:negative: It's happening again, isn't it?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I'm 23, and I generally don't rush back into playing. This last year was hardly my first brush with injury, so I've learned it doesn't help to speed up the recovery process, as it were. I'd ventrue to say I've lost atleast 2 of the past 5 years to various injuries-most of them unrelated. To not go into great depth, I'll just list that both hamstings, ankles, and knees have previous injuries. My left quadricep, ligaments and tendons in my left foot, and (the only non-sports injury) a bad break of my right foot (car accident, like 6 years ago before these problems really set off) should round out the list.

btw, it's not like i'm just a weekend warrior who spends all week eating cheetos before playing-I train with weights, run, and bike to keep my physical condition (when I'm able to, because as you might imagine some of these injuries interfere with that).

Basically what I'm saying is I feel like Robben or Pato, if they were bad at football.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

derin posted:

If you have some money and live in a civilized area you might want to see an active release technique practitioner, someone certified in functional movement screening, or rolfer, or find a good strength and conditioning coach. And start doing mobility exercises every day. Check out Steve Maxwell's dvds.

Hey, thank you for this. I've never heard of art or fms, I'm gonna check to see if there is anyone around here for this, thanks again. I'll try anything to keep me on the pitch and this all seems solid stuff.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Fryhtaning posted:

I've never had IB (iliotibial band) problems until I started playing soccer, but now it seems like my right leg is less flexible due to tightness on the outside of my right knee. That's a really hard area to stretch, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better (or worse).

I had tons of IT band problems, and a really good stretch is to lay flat on your back and take the afflicted leg and pull it over and try to bring your knee to the ground without letting your shoulder blade off the ground.
Kind of like how this well drawn man is doing it, but laying down:

Also the lunge stretch gets a real big stretch the whole quad area. The thing you should do if you're always tight is to make sure you stretch every day, even when you're not playing. My IT Band and hip was so tight it was causing not only tightness/pain in my upper-leg but also dehabilitating knee pain, even while at rest, (and led to problems with my knee being pulled to the outside), now I'm in no pain since I started stretching every day. Well, still in all sorts of pain but none relevant to the stretches.

grvm fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 17, 2012

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Try doing the foam roller thing with a tennis/lacross ball. A big guide was linked above, that should help.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Soylent Green posted:

These are your other option. See that bit at the bottom? It's an ankle support. The majority of the injuries I see are ankle related so for my money you want to have that. It will slightly restrict your movement but not overly and that's well worth it for avoiding, or at least greatly reducing the risk of, a major ankle injury.

You will get injured.

Not quite an hour after reading that i went outside to do some juggling/dribbling drills and rolled my ankle. Did it in pretty bad too, doing just routine stuff I do basically everyday. Just letting the new guy know it can happen whenever. You should really I think expect to be injured (minor) 2/3 times a year, more if you're like me.

That being said I successfully rounded the keeper in our 6 a side league game Monday, executed a step over to torch some chump before fooling the keeper and slotting it in near post, scored an inzaghi-esque poachers goal off my knee, and had a headed goal disallowed in what was probably my best match to date. A real hat trick hero in our 10-5 win. Note that I'm normally a defender and generally only play forward to hassle opposition high up the pitch if we have a lead, so that was something for me.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Make sure with magnesium you get magnesium aspartate or just get ZMA which also comes with zinc aspartate. The absorption rates on all the super cheap ones are horrible, like less than 1%. Bananas help too I guess if you're one of those strange people stuck in the stone age who rather eat food than a bunch of pills every day.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Soup and a Sandwich posted:

yo steve claridge is total nob but i heard an interesting stat on beans on toast having the same amount of protein as a steak!

steve claridge though gently caress him.

That stat is definitely wrong unless you're eating dainty 3oz steaks or piling mountains of beans on your toast.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Thirteenth Step posted:

don't think I'll have a good game tonight, my legs feel v tired and I'm not sure what a can do to get them feeling ok again

Get a good warm up in, it works wonders. There's a reason you see the pros taking a few runs before they come on.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
My 6 a side game last night (which I only played for like 5 minutes because of an ankle injury) was pretty ridiculous, both our teams forgot how to defend. Like it was almost embarrassing how bad defending was, we went down 4-0 in the first 5 minutes of the game, fought back to take it to 6-5 at half time then lost 15-11 after 2 of our players went down with injuries and our right back decided he was sergio ramos or something and decided to move himself to right wing, despite my constant yelling from the sidelines.

I had to sub in with 5 mins left, down 13-11, their first move I got smoked and just had to foul their man to save a goal, shoulda been a card on my first move. forgot how much slower you are with a bad ankle and got turned, so I just gave him the old bear hug to stop from them breaking 2 on 1 with the keeper.

I then get into space for two clean shots on goal only to blow them over. They break again on us and smash in one more and a keeper error let them get 15.

This league is pretty bad defensively in general, I don't think there has been less than 5 goals allowed in any of our games (and we have one of the best defensive records in the league somehow, well until last night). Now we're tied on points for 1st with the team we lost to with a match against 3rd next week. Hopefully I'll be able to actually play again for that match.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I know that feeling. My 6 a side went 2-1-7 last session (my previous team was a terrific 2-1-17 a few years ago before my run of injuries kicked off), made a few changes and were currently 3rd in the table even on points with second and one point off first at 4-1-1.

Unfortunately I've not been able to play the last 3 matches due to injury, but being im captain this session and I've been manager I'm still taking some credit for winning. Feels shocking to be part of a winning side for once.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Ours is pretty much attack first, attack second, defend 3rd (but don't forget to try to attack from defence). Our lowest scoring game was a 5-5 draw and every other match we've ended in the double digits. Were not 11 a side though, it's 6s. we've scored something like 70 goals in 7 games, let in something like 50.

Edit: I'd like to add that we started playing a 2-3 kind of formation and have since transitioned to a 3-2 where we control our games even more and let in about half the goals. Of course that change was forced after we got ripped apart one game and conceded like 6 goals in 4 minutes. Came back to only lose by 2 that day and haven't lost since

grvm fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 25, 2012

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
So does anybody know a place where I can order different sized right and left shoes? I seem to recall adidas used to do this on their higher end boots but it doesn't seem like it anymore. I've got a problem where my dominant foot is a full size smaller than my non dominant. Extra awesome if they also have wide sizes, also I'm in America so they have to ship here (and hopefully not have a ridiculous fee to do it).

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Thank you, that's the page I was looking for. Unfortunately it seems they don't do wide sizes anymore? So if there is any other place I'm open to those too.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I think another thing that should be mentioned is if you're just starting the interval protocols you really shouldn't be doing them any more than twice a week or so. If you do them right they are really taxing and will take a good couple days to really recover from them. I always thought they worked best if mixed with another type or non/low impact cardio like cycling, elliptical, or swimming on the off days.

Overdoing the hiit stuff is a pretty sure way to wear yourself out and risk muscular injury, I normall do it twice a week at most (plus actual games). Full disclosure though, I'm super injury prone so maybe you guys would be able to do more than me.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
When your center backs go forward you should yell at them. Then yell at them again, they're centerbacks, really they should never be running forward unless there is a free kick/corner, especially if they're not getting back.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Just pull up your drat socks. I wear baselayers like that hiking/running in the winter, but when I'm playing and don't want to carve up my knees I'll just uh.. pull my socks over them.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
So friends, I had some help here last time I asked, but is there any place that isn't nike that offers individual sized AND width for shoes? My problem is I broke my right foot a few years ago and after three surgeries it's now a full size shorter than my left foot and it's to wide to fit in any boot I've tried on, save my Diadora K-leather boots.

So, I need to know if there is any place that isn't nike that sells wide boots that are sized individually? I can't really justify spending $400 on one pair of boots. I could justify 200 though, or any kind of reasonably price. Anyone have any ideas?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Just played this Sunday in some high school alumni game. Guess they must have been pretty bad because I cut them to shreds. 4-2 and I had 1 goal and 3 assists, played as right wing so I could float into space as all our other creative players were on the left, I'd call for a big switch in the final third and would draw a defender out and drive crosses/cut back passes into players rushing forward then float back into space when we weren't in possession. Probably could have had 5-6 assists if we played on full goals.

Oh also my goal Idk how it happened, well I do, played like 3 1-2s with our striker and switched myself to center as he switched out right, then got the ball at about the pen spot juked someone right, had to beat another defender left, then had to drag the ball back to beat the defender I beat the first time before I could slot the ball into the side netting.

Shocking since I normally don't beat anyone as my entire game results in drifting wide, drawing a defender, and playing a simple pass to an oncoming midfielder or cross to my stoker.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah, last time I played 11 a side I was totally lost and basically worthless, until I realized there is always space out wide. Then I started blasting in assists like mad as literally the world's fattest, slowest, and laziest winger.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Try wearing a pair of liner socks under your regular socks. Also, stay away from cotton and opt for something that will wick moisture as opposed to just absorbing it, like merino wool if you're rich or synthetic fibers if you're not.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Bobby Digital posted:

Strangely, it sounds like I might end up playing right back, which is entirely new to me. I don't think I've ever seen a guy my size (6'3", 210) play right back before.

I'm a little shorter than you guys and a little heavier (6'1, 215-220) and I'm not comfortable in the middle. I like to play on the right wing, despite being literally the slowest person ever I'm quite effective there. I have seriously zero pace, so many injuries over the past 3-4 years have killed my game.

I used to be a good CB, competent defensive mid, and I filled in at RB pretty regularly. The key was to not ever step in on those short quick guys, you have to force them to make a move and if their move works, uh, foul them. Make sure they're outside the box though. That was my tactic at least, people didn't like it (including on my own team) but I'll be damned if it didn't save my team a points more than once.

Sadly I've become entirely to slow and have become a liability in the back line.

fake edit: oh yeah, if you're league is anything like the ones I've played in you're going to be left in a lot of 2/3 on ones from the wing. I'd never step on those, in fact I'd never even pressure unless they'd try to cut in. Your goal is to slow down the attack in that situation and let your support get back. And when they don't get back because they're lazy shits your new job is to berate them. I swear 80% of what I had to do as captain was shout until my players tracked back.

Also, don't commit to far forward, most goals in my leagues happen when defenders surge to far forward and leave huge space for an easy ball through.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

CAMiasm posted:

huge brawl during my indoor 6-a-side match yesterday. was a close, physical game. two players went crashing into the boards, ref blew the whistle. my teammate looks to the ref to see the call and boom gets cold-cocked/cheapshotted/blindsided by the guy he ran into the boards with. straight dropped him. i run to check on my teammate to see him on the ground with eyes in space, mouth open, arm stiff in the air twitching. turned around and all hell has broken loose. the benches cleared and even a few spectators joined in on the fun. during the mayhem, i identified the little bitch that threw the cheapshot and literally chased him out of the building.

i can't believe anyone could be so dirty

How does this work in your league? I know where I play anyone fighting or starting a fight gets a year ban. I'm serving a 6 month ban for spitting on someone (yeah shouldn't have done that), so i can only imagine this carries some heavy bans here.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I normally go like 10 juggles, pop it up and try to take it down with control, which is definitely more important than juggling imo. I think after a while it comes down to just keeping a rhythm, which I don't have so I normally get erratic and top around 50-70.

BTW, I think I've broken dribbling. I decided I was gonna just work on nutmegs for a while during my ban while I was dicking around with friends, and now when I have a clear path around someone I keep trying the meg. As a result I now lose possession constantly, so I guess the lesson is don't try to meg everyone.

e. spelling

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
The first guy is right, here is the official laws of the game direct from FIFA:

"FIFA, laws of the game, p 35 posted:

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position

I think it's easy to argue that atleast the second, if not the second and third, which would disallow your goal. Your offsides team mate doesn't have to touch the ball at all, I'd say that he interferes with an opponent by pulling the defender off you as he tries to defend your offside team mate.

edit: a lot of people not understanding this rule I think, the defender is definitely being moved by the offisde players run, i don't really get where you guys are coming from.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
So you're telling me that an attacking runner making a run isn't going to count in under the second rule you're quoting? To me it still applies as his run is distracting to the defender who is marking him.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

quote:

"interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent

I guess it's open to interpretation, but I'd say that the attacking run pulls a defender preventing him from being able to play the ball by obstructing the players movements. And I guess obstruct could be a word that needs defining the way I'm using it because obviously the offside player wasn't physically in the way of the defender, but his movement definitely obstructs the defender by changing his position.

If we have an in house offside authority bring him in, but I haven't been convinced otherwise yet.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Lamont Cranston posted:

I was basing that statement entirely on this goal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss93i0LENBI

so I'm definitely not certain enough to argue with you.

That's an entirely different situation, she was onside the last time her team mate touched the ball.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
In an interesting side note: my first 6 a side match (years ago) ended in a 37-4 loss. It was a painful, painful game.

I also notice here that most indoor teams play with 2 back and 3 in attack (with both defenders bombing forward), leading to a lot of outrageous score lines. When I took control of my side from the previous captain (not the 37-4 side) and switched to 3 at the back we went from poo poo to 2nd in the league, because defense is the best.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah in the leagues I've played in most games were ending with both sides in the double digits. My side was an anomaly because like I said, noone wanted to play defense. Hell, when I said most teams played a 2-3 I probably should have said an 0-5. Tactics were non-existent, everybody is just set to run forward. I loved playing against that.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I was playing pick up yesterday, and it was ok. At first it was awesome, I took up my position on the left wing where I proceeded to dominate the game, skin players 1v1, play nice 1-2s, link up with midfield and play in killer crosses. That went on for about 20 minutes, where I was just on point and making it happen. (And doing it in my $10 Walmart airspeed canvas sneakers amidst an ocean of neon colored synthetic boots) when all of a sudden like 8 more people show up and some kid thinks he can play my position better (he couldn't. Hey how was running yourself into trouble and passing to noone?) and just straight jacks it.

Anyway, we suddenly have 11 v 11 on half field, and it made me remember why I don't actually like pick up games. I turn to my team and say "alright, let's play some positions so its not just a mess" and the dude who put it together said "nah dude, we like to roam." So cue a traditional 5-7 man attack where no one passes the ball and everyone just dribbles into trouble. Frustrating. I spent most of the rest of the game shouting I was open or that someone was open and then shouting "or just dribble into 4 people."

If you're a new player I have one quick lesson: if you're going to dribble, dribble away from people not into them. But if you're going to play soccer: pass the drat ball.

That's my bitter rant, I can't wait to start playing for real again. The time off really helped me, injuries are hopefully behind me after a year off the field spent training and rehabbing.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Soulex posted:

"you are sending Soulex on? I thought you wanted to win this game?"
Haha, awesome vote of confidence.
I was playing some pick up today (league starting end of may I think), got a couple goals, good passes, took on some people and felt ok. I don't think I've run in a game yet this year though.

Anyway the real reason I'm posting is because our keeper was literally attacked by the goal. These kwik-goals that were set up apparently were not set up properly because he went to lean on the post and the whole thing came down and jacked up his hand pretty good. So uh, check your goals.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

CaptainRightful posted:

Playing with glasses on is madness.

In rec leagues, it seems the most common shooting problem by far is keeping it down. At the level everyone in this thread is playing, accuracy counts for more than power. So I'd recommend learning to "pass it into the net" as low and hard as you can rather than fruitlessly ballooning it over the bar.

This x 1000. I score so many more just by passing low to the net than by blasting the ball. Low level keepers are kind of poo poo at getting low, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Just practice yelling at people while you point down to your feet. Blame everyone for bad passes and really work on that petulant "thanks for the poo poo pass, everybody else" face, all the greats had one.

But really do all the things people have mentioned and just stick yourself in some pick up games. Even if you have great touch and skill if you don't understand how to put yourself into space to receive the ball, or if you're a defender how to cut down that space and tackle people, you're not going to be any good in an actual game.