Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I play 5-a-side indoor with work friends. I play defense on either side.

My strategy is to pick a guy from the other team and try to make his life miserable and trying my best to not let him do anything. I rarely act on offense because I'm too slow.

I was in the minors of my local team when I was 14, but got kicked out for missing practice and being lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

So I've been playing five a side 3 times a week for the last couple of months. I play in goal and defense.

Any tips from goalkeepers about dealing with and/or avoiding bruised fingers? Last week I got a bruised index finger on my right hand from a kick, and tonight I stopped a really hard shot with the tip of my thumb and now it's all bruised. This last one was mostly bad technique I guess.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yes, I do wear gloves. I think my mistake was probably trying to catch that shot then.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That really sucks Soulex, hope the surgery goes well and you have a full recovery.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

So some dude stepped on my foot, accidental and all but still left a nasty bruise: http://cl.ly/image/3G1e1E3Q1l1E

It was the very first play of the game and I just brushed it off and played the full hour with mild discomfort, kinda freaked out when I took my socks off. Luckily nothing is broken and it doesn't really hurt anymore, but still would be pretty stupid to play like this so I'm off the pitch for a couple weeks.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

My Thursday night crew is a some dudes I went to high school with and we're all fat and/or unfit 30 year olds. Last couple times we played challenge games against a bunch of 20 year olds we have won because of "team chemistry" more than anything.

My Tuesday night crew is the folks from work and in that one there are some tri-athletes and some dudes who played minor leagues when they were younger, so it's a much better team overall but still the improvement as we play together more is very noticeable.

My Saturday morning game is a random pickup so it's a crapshoot.

Developing team chemistry owns.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Depends on the group dynamics, my Thursday night crew is mostly dudes who I've known since high school and we can yell at each other ruthlessly during the game and then forget about it and have a beer afterwards. On Tuesdays I play with work people who, even though they are cool and I've known some of them for years, I wouldn't yell at them as intensely.

If you're gonna yell about not marking, bad passing or ball hogging you better back it up and not do the same yourself.

Also keepers have a right to yell at the team if they don't loving come back to defend.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 5, 2014

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

My old gloves were really beaten up so I got a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Uhlsport-Cerb...lsport+cerberus

Used them today for the first time and they are great. I also realized that I was wearing a size too large, my old Pumas were 11, got these on 10 and they fit way better.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

These have finger protection, that was actually one of the reasons I got them. Unless you want even more protection.

I have the opposite problem, I abuse kick saves so need to work on that. Today I had to play defense because it was 6v6 and there were 4 keepers.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah the group I play with on saturdays is weird like that. Two of them are quite good too, that's why I had to play outfield today.

With other groups I'm usually the only one who prefers to play on goal so this is not normal by any means.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Apparently I hate money, because I bought a pair of these. I think they are ugly but they are very comfortable and grippy and Keylor wears them so they own

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Rinat-Asimetrik-Duo-Spine-Glove/dp/B00DJRM8II

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

So I entered a tournament with the office dudes, it's a 5-a-side tournament for tech companies. You might imagine a bunch of skinny nerds and fat goons running around behind the ball, but in this country everyone plays so the biggest of dweebs can be a great forward and the fattest of goons can be a killer defender.

Gonna be an interesting experience, I am definitely the weakest link in the team but nobody else can play in goal so we'll see how it goes.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

We got a new ball today for the office team, futsal sized brazuca

Pretty nice, way better than the worn down cheapo poo poo they usually have at the pitches. Nice flight but at the same time not too light, I felt that using it we all looked better while shooting and doing long passes.

Tournament starts on saturday and I feel we have a decent team but no idea about the rest so kinda nervous at this point.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

We won our first match 8-1

Had some nice saves so pretty happy about it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I hate running and love diving at striker's feet and scaring the poo poo out of them.

e: also overweight, though I never played goal when I was younger, picked it up recently

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I usually eat a banana and a cup of coffee or two

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, but I don't like feeling heavy so I only eat that. Banana for cramps, coffee for focus.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hosed up my knee, will see the physio tomorrow to see what's wrong. Have some pain behind the kneecap when I bend it and apply weight.

Sucks because we have a tournament match on Saturday that we have to win to get out of the group stages. Luckily, and relevant to an older discussion, we have a backup keeper so hopefully we can do the job.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Patellar tendonitis in my left knee, will definitely miss our tournament match on saturday and if we go through might miss the round of 16 as well.

Was getting into a nice rhythm playing 3 times a week too. At least I did the right thing and went to the physio instead of toughing it up and making it worse.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

playing outfield must be a real anathema for goons. I hate playing goalkeeper because I get super bored and we usually have to beg someone to play goalkeeper on our team. I love playing holding midfield though, just running around and twatting into people is something I take great pride in.

I play 5 a side so it's never boring unless it's a blowout.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Here in CR the abundance of goalkeepers is less about the "fat goon" and more about our tradition of awesome goalkeepers.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Ah yes, noted legends such as

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077408/Esteban-Alvarado-Alkmaar-goalkeeper-attacks-fan-ran-pitch.html

ok ok, awesome in the context of CONCACAF

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 4, 2014

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Develop your quads and glutes properly so you don't strain your knees, knee injuries (tendonitis in my case) are a bitch and take forever to heal.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Good luck Soulex

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I don't play without shinguards anymore since one time when I had a full force shin on shin hit with some dude (he wasn't wearing guards either). I was lucky not to fracture anything and it hurt like a bitch for days

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The tournament I played in recently only got involved when the abuse escalated to "I'll wait for you outside" level, which happened twice.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I destroyed my umbros so I got a pair of these:

Received them today and they own, can't wait to try them on a next, but won't be able to play until tuesday :(

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm really happy with my mercurials so far

They're really soft and light though so might not be for everyone.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

If you are agile then look into positioning and technical stuff. If you are not very agile you need to be aggressive to make up for it.

Rush out like a maniac and scare the hell out of bitch rear end strikers. Dive at their feet and poo poo, and don't be afraid of ending the game with a nasty bruise or a black eye from time to time.

Also yell a lot at your defenders.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

When I was 16 I was in the minors of my poo poo local club for 3 weeks. they kicked me out for smoking cigarettes and being late to training.

Wouldn't have made it anyway but still was a pretty "stupid teenager" thing to do.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Are these people wearing bikinis to play on goal?

Wear football socks and a long sleeve shirt to avoid cuts and burns while playing on turf #lifehacks

You can even wear knee pads if you want #protip

I found one on my phone's usb port the other day, does my phone have cancer now? :ohdear:

On another note, I wont be buying Mercurials again, even though they're really comfortable mine are already falling apart after 3 months or so of playing twice a week.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The striped grey and black ones are gorgeous and I want them, but can't justify the price.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I also have some nikes but prefer cheap umbros, I have a few pairs and it's just white/colored socks with the umbro logo in the shins

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

thats what I've been doing lately when playing goal on turf, tights are good enuogh to not destroy your knees

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Mercurials are really comfortable but they also fall apart really quickly. Im back to wearing my trusty Umbro Speciali that have lasted forever and are good enough for 5 a side.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Good luck Soulex, and take the above dude's advice. Hopefully you can get better news from a second opinion.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I walk like 1km from the office to the pitch, that's more than enough warmup imho

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I play five a side and we sometimes enter tournaments organized by the manager of the five a side place, so I almost always play in the same place.

Those tournaments are tough and we usually get destroyed but it's good fun competition and not as violent as other tournaments I've been on (when there are cash prices people turn ugly as gently caress).

Amateur leagues here are not really 'fat nerd" level, they're still tough to get into and away games are brutal sometimes because of having to travel 6 hours by bus to get to the middle of the jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Which apps/services do you guys use to organize matches? I have tried Jogabo and Fubles and I hate them both.