Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I've been playing soccer since January and I feel my indoor game is way worse than my outdoor game. I just can't get used to the pacing. I think practicing against a wall will help me there and get me a better first touch.

One of my problems is protecting the ball and with how limited the spacing can be in indoor, I get punished easily. Any tips for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
How effective is practicing with one of those mini soccer balls? My place is pretty small so I'd figure I can practice my footwork/dribbling with the mini ball indoors. Am I just wasting my time and just get a regular sized ball?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
$850 for an indoor team?! Yikes. Is that 6v6?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Captain Trips posted:

That's 5v5 plus keepers. 6v6 is $925 a team for a 9 match "season".

It's 18-man rosters, so it's not like it's $150 a person. But that's still a little crazy.

Do you have to have 18 people? 18 men for 6v6 is ridiculous. We have 10 man rosters for 6v6 and people still complain about playing time (22 minute halves).

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I moan on the inside then realize it's just a recreational league and means absolutely nothing. I do get a little angry if people aren't trying hard like not sprinting back to play D, not coming to the ball, etc.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Any tips for breaking in new boots? Just got the Hypervenom Phantoms and while my left feels fine, my right boot is pressing on my heel every time I run/cut so I have a nice blister on my right heel. I feel like pressing down on the right heel might help but I don't want to ruin the boot either. Going to have to wear my old cleats for a week or two while the blister heals.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I've been getting horrible shin splints lately, mainly when I play on turf. I play indoor as well but don't feel shin splints then.

I wear the same cleats (Hypervenom Phantom FG, I think) that I wear on grass. Is it time to buy turf cleats like these? http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/hypervenom-phelon-tf-soccer-cleat/pid-1475614/pgid-1545786

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

When you say turf, are you talking artificial grass (left) or artificial turf (right)?

If you play on artificial grass, those turf cleats suck. Get a boot that's has dedicated outdoor artificial grass cleats underneath, like:

The shoe you linked to is for "carpet" artificial turf. The real issue with playing on latest gen artificial surfaces is the ground up rubber infill - it doesn't compress like soil does. This makes wearing normal cleat patters hurt a bit. I guess the hollow shape allows the rubber to compress up into the cleats when you stomp, which alleviates the pressure. Addidas does it a bit differently with the firmness of the cleats themselves IIRC.

I used to play on AG with my old T90 firm grounds and I was having major foot issues. Switched to a dedicated AG sole and have never looked back.

The one good thing about MLS is that enough "pro" players play on AG now that there's a good market for AG shoes!

It's that artificial turf with the rubber black pellets everywhere. Only time I'm worried is when it starts raining and the ground gets slick.

e: I still get shin splints when I play on grass but it's nowhere near as bad on turf. The fact that I rarely get them while playing indoor is what makes me think it just has to do with the shoes.

My indoor place is that horrible carpet turf where it's pretty much flat and is like a soft layer over cement. I wear these and they work fine : http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/fc247-lunargato-ii-soccer-shoe/pid-1475500/pgid-726944

Geno fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2014

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Played my first outdoor coed league game last weekend. Went horribly. We lost 7-1 and they were a player down the entire game with no subs. This is our first season with the league and with 14 teams in the league, they didn't decide to split recreational/competitive teams. I'm guessing we'll either tie or lose every game of the season :fyh:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
The girls on my team are not very good and for some of them, this is the first time playing soccer in a long time. One of the guys, probably our strongest player, wants to have a 3-5-2 formation and wants to backline to always offside-trap whenever possible when some of the girls don't know what offsides is and there are no line judges either.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Woof! Woof! posted:

Need some boot advice. Playing on my work team but haven't had shoes for a long time.

Looking for something cheap, but happy to dish out if there's something worth it.

I have wide feet, so any advice is appreciated.

Are you talking indoor or outdoor? My feet are also pretty friggin wide

For indoor, I wear LunarGato II and they fit perfectly. Wide enough at the top and pretty light.

For outdoor, I tried the Mercurials and they were waaaay too tight. I went with the Hypervenoms which seems to be more stretchy than the Mercurials.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Parody Threads posted:

Nike mercurial superflys, jet black ones so I'm not easily identifiable as a total doucher

gently caress i want superflys, i'm so tired of getting blisters on my heel

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Parody Threads posted:

I suggest having a good friend who works for Nike snag you a pair, that's what I did

o yea, the employee store is like 10 minutes away from me but i refuse to buy another pair until my Hypervenoms wear out

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

pangstrom posted:

I am pretty easygoing about soccer and I'm no prize myself but it's such a downer to have a person on my team who is so bad that passing to them is in effect turning it over. Wow they're open again in miles of space wonder why that is, time for another pity pass? Time to forget to look that way again? It's like you have to keep a separate scoreline in your head.

it's just part of decision making

and i'm sure other people have thought the same about you :smugissar:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Soulex posted:

Some people panic when they get the ball and it's not a clear it, or pass it situation. It's just uneasiness and not being confident with the ball at your feet. It'll change eventually.

i play on a coed team and one of the girls is just downright useless. she's too uncoordinated to clear or pass it and too unathletic to defend. our game is the only time she ever plays so it'll take years before she can actually contribute.

oh well, that's recreational co-ed for you :350:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Chas McGill posted:

The only way kids will become comfortable on the ball is if they play all the time. At school lunchtime, after school, in the house, in the garden. I attribute my decent dribbling and control to constantly running through the house with the ball, nutmegging chairs and chipping it into laundry baskets.

make em do the 1000 touch workout every recess!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Rolled my ankle badly last night. Can't walk on it at all. Went to the doctor's and they said no broken bones yay. On a boot for 2 weeks.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
drat, rough to hear. I haven't played in almost 2 weeks and it' been killing me. Can't imagine to be in your situation.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
my indoor place has that flat carpet turf where a rug burn will leave a mark for 1-2 months, fuckin hate it

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
alright lads, my 7v7 coed season is starting soon. any tips on formation? where should i put the best/worst players?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
fall season starts this weekend and i still can't hop on my ankle that i sprained 2.5 weeks ago. :flaccid:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Been trying to play back since spraining my ankle about 5 weeks ago. Flexibility is around 90%. Mobility is around is 80-90%. Can job fine but sprinting is a little iffy.

Played outdoor on a 3G turf last weekend for around 60 minutes and didn't seem too bad. Was a bit sore the next day.

Played indoor last night on one of those carpet/cement turfs and couldn't even last 30 minutes. Sprinting was painful. Is it the hard surface that's just not good for my weak ankle?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
man 7v7 coed is so much harder than 11v11 coed.

having 1 or 2 girls who are useless on the field just really kills your team :boom:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i'm fine with 11v11 coed. more casual, more social, way more space, no slide tackling, etc. a lot easier to hide your bad players in LB/RB or LM/RM.

in 7v7, once the other team realizes your girls are useless, they'll just double team your guys :krakentoot:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
It’s been a little over 2 months since I sprained my ankle.

It felt good the last week. Played a full 90 on Saturday with little to no pain during the game. Lifted weights and worked on its flexibility on Sunday, then played around 40 minutes in my outdoor 7v7 game on Monday.

Ankle felt very sore on Tuesday. Decided to skip indoor on Wednesday since hopping was a bit painful. Now it’s Friday and still hurts a bit when I walk. Argh so frustrating :wankah:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Simone Poodoin posted:

Which apps/services do you guys use to organize matches? I have tried Jogabo and Fubles and I hate them both.

Pick-up or league games? For league, I've used TeamSnap, it's aight

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
speaking of turf... https://vimeo.com/144423290

quote:

In this E:60 investigation, former US National Team star Julie Foudy examines the use of crumb rubber on synthetic turf fields by talking to those who make it, those who have studied it, including an exclusive interview with the head of the EPA, and the people who play on it every day…all with one question in mind. Is turf safe?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
gently caress, so disappointed. lost in the 1st round in my 7v7 coed league as the third seed (out of 8). if you win in the 1st round, you automatically get 2 more games but since we lost, now we're in the offseason (for 3 weeks) :dota101:

also, need to find girls who can pass the ball :doink:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

cosmicjim posted:

Don't think the U.S. has to worry about losing international games because of poor headers. It will be from not being good at soccer.

jonathan brooks tho

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Anyone try those knee sleeves/supports?

Been getting some knee soreness the past couple weeks. Hasn't been a problem yet in game but it gets uncomfortable on stairs and hurts when I try to squat.

Going to buy this sleeve from REI and see if it does anything: http://www.rei.com/product/878109/pro-tec-athletics-3d-flat-knee-sleeve

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Simone Poodoin posted:

I guess it depends on your issue but those sleeves are uncomfortable and don't stay in place for me, I have used knee straps for a while for my tendinitis and I like them better.

well, i bought one off amazon and it doesn't fit me so i gotta return it. i've been using a knee strap for 2-3 years now and it's helped but this pain is a little different.

this time, i'll buy them at REI and i can use it and return if it doesn't fit :fyadride:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

mushi posted:

not a doctor but in my completely unqualified opinion that could be anything from minor tendonitis to something serious like a meniscus tear or ligament damage. I would be really careful and get that poo poo checked out before you keep playing. When I had a meniscus tear the sports med doctor basically told me the sleeves don't do poo poo except keep your knee warm. I don't know if that was specific to the injury i had or in general.

neither of the sleeves i bought fit well because of my huge quads.

i replaced my 2-year-old knee strap with a new one and it seems to work fine. i've just been stretching a lot the past 2 weeks and it still hasn't acted up in game and walking stairs is comfortable now. squatting is still a little iffy.

i only have 1 game the next 2 weeks so if it still doesn't recover after all the rest, then i'll probably get it checked out.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
how many courts does that place have?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

mushi posted:

it's Rose City Futsal in Portland. They have three courts, you can see the corner of the third court in the video. The smaller green courts aren't "turf" but basically padded carpet that has the surface texture of a brillo pad. Feels good for traction but you will bleed if you slide on it for any reason. I think the big one is the only one that conforms to FIFA standards though, and it's on the small side of the dimensions.

o drat nice, i've always wanted to check out Rose City Futsal but i'm in Hillsboro so it's quite a drive for me

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

ilikekarate posted:

Making my return to 6aside tomorrow night after 5 months of knee pain. Recommend me some warm up drills?

what kind of knee pain took you out for 5 months?

i've been having some knee pain the past month and i've been stretching my quads/hamstrings/calves regularly. it tightened up a bit last Sat playing 11v11 but it felt fine last night playing 6v6 for 2 hours.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
co-ed can be frustrating sometimes but it's way more casual and relaxed than my other leagues.

no one really plays co-ed purely for the competition anyway

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i wish i played more soccer as a kid but i was always the short kid stuck in the back while the tall white athletic kids played in the front. i didn't really like it, parents never pushed me, etc.

i clearly remember my coach showing me a picture to just stand near the corners of the penalty area. this was probably 20 years ago

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
the co-ed league i play in has a strict no slide tackling and all 50/50 balls go to women. it's waaaay more relaxing and chill than my men's leagues where people go balls out and lunge for every ball.

if i wanted to avoid injury, i'd play co-ed all day

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

birds posted:

Thanks everyone. Some people are playing indoor tomorrow so I'll show up for that and try to make good passes and defend. I've started attempting to juggle the ball, it's tough but I'm seeing improvement. This is probably a question that can be answered with "just buy whichever one is most comfortable" but what are some good boots to buy? I'm not about to spend $300 but Adidas PureControl looks cool. Does anyone have this and does a laceless shoe actually make a difference?

make sure you know what kind of boots the indoor place allows. some indoor places have that lovely flat turf where only flat soles work and some have a decent turf where a flat sole wouldn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

mushi posted:

2) turf shoes with the small nubs for the turf with the tire pellets, and

i've used these types of TF cleats on turf fields and for me, it just seems to be hit or miss. some turf fields are deep in the black pellets and some aren't and i slipped like crazy on those.