Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

theblindparrot posted:

I started playing for my local club when I was about 8 or so. I moved towns and joined a more competitive (North Jersey) club at about 13, won a fairly large tournament and our league once. Started playing in a more-select, Jersey and International team, but we weren't spectacular but it was a lot of fun. Started playing CM. Played for my school team, won our county tournament, state tournament and group in the first two years, reached the finals for the next year, and this year we just had an average season. Injuries mean I'm not really playing to high a level anymore

I'm going to regret this but where in Jersey do you live and who do you play for?

Anyway, I'm a wingback, usually left side although I'm naturally right footed. I prefer to play in the midfield but my coach, who isn't too bright, has the philosophy of "you can run fast all day, good, you're playing defense so you can cover for the slow gently caress center backs." I actually had a USL-2 team looking at me about a year ago but then I dislocated my knee twice in a month and it hasn't been the same since. I'm 24 so the dream is probably over at this point. Now I just spunk away money on gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jollzwhin posted:

If he cut out the running altogether he could be Socrates, my favourite player of all time.

edit: And started smoking.

He could be Riquelme except for the whole scoring outside the box thing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Field turf sucks, the only redeeming factor it has is that it's not astroturf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I play as a wingback on either side but I'll slide into the right midfield spot. I'm all pace baby. I can pass but don't expect me to score goals.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder if we could get Trin to referee the hypothetical matches.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

I'll play centre mid and get a card every game. Resident hardman itt. :clint:

This is one of those post + avatar = :lol: things that everyone talks about.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Karsten Jancker found.

With maybe a little Jan Koller, except for the heading part.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Each time I look at mercurials I remind myself "this is what CRonaldo wears" and then look away, laughing.

I have the green pair he wore in the Euros/early part of the season. I'm a defender. Aside from that they gave me ridiculous blisters so I don't wear them anymore. Air Legends for life(the black/neon green pair of course).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tigren posted:

I just moved home from college about a week ago and drove around for 30 minutes trying to find a pickup game. All I could find were some Latino leagues and empty parks. What do I do? How do I play soccer if no one will play with me?

The internet? Seriously, look online for local leagues.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nike Air Legends. Kangaroo leather, good quality, fits my foot well. I do have the colorway with the obnoxious neon green logos though. I haven't tried on the new Legend 3s yet but I will once I see them in stores somewhere.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I got red carded today because I said to the ref "<Ref's Name>, you're a loving joke" just a little louder than I meant to, in the 20th minute, when he made a blatantly lovely call. Oops.

We still won. :smug:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

How can I buy him a pint?

Don't bother, he'd probably spill it and then blame someone else.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Have a tournament the week after Christmas and another in the second week in January. Haven't played in almost two months because of a bone bruise on my knee so my fitness should be interesting.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

Now I understand why a lot of people I meet while playing outdoor won't ever play indoor because they'll get their knees kicked in.

Every injury I've ever suffered has been playing outdoor. Of course I play in competitive leagues, so you're expected to go in hard on 50/50s. Indoor is more confined so there's less of a chance of someone getting a 20-30 yard run up on a 50/50. It's usually tighter and more controlled unless you're an uncoordinated jackass who doesn't know what he's doing and is just barging around.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If a ref ever showed me a blue card I'd probably walk away laughing. Blue cards, what the gently caress is that?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wear tiny shinguards. I'm pretty sure they're adult XS. They cover maybe half of my shin.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

from time to time i find myself browsing soccer.com or some other website trying to talk myself into buying new boots even though my old ones are perfectly fine. i dont know why i do it but some of them are just so pretty.

Seriously, this is a sickness.

At one point I had 8 pair of the same Predators just different colorways, at $200/pair.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TBH, every coed team I have played on the women have, I hate to say it because it sounds awful, known their place. They know they're not as skilled as the guys, they're plenty good for women, just not as good as the men and the play will reflect that. They're tenacious on defense though, it's ridiculous.

Of course, the coed league I play in I generally get my hat trick early on(I really shouldn't be playing in it, I use it to stretch my legs out on Saturday before real matches Sunday) and then spread the ball around to everyone. I don't discriminate on who I pass to. If you're in a good spot, making a good run, whatever I'll try and get you the ball.

It's a coed rec league, who cares if you whiff your shot and it dribbles out for a throw in?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

Haven't done a Zidane roulette on the pitch yet. Out of three attempts against me though I tackled two of them successfully.

I've done them in futsal, never outdoor though. When they work it's spectacular, when they don't you look like a dumbass.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Also I'm American and nobody calls it a Maradona.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

Alright, gang. So as you know, outdoor season is starting up. I have some 1st generation Predators rotting away in my closet. Has technology advanced far enough where I'd benefit from a new boot?

Yeah, and if the Predators are in any kind of reasonable condition you can probably sell them on eBay and fund at least one if not two new pair of high end boots.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

Well, they still fit, but why would they sell? Vintage value?

Also, what do you recommend? I'm just looking for a durable firm ground boot for accuracy. Something like a Total 90?

They sell because they weren't really all that common when they were released. More for collectors than people to actually wear them. The original Predators are over 15 years old at this point.

The new Nike boot the CTR360 Maestri seems like a sold boot. I don't like the Total 90s(had the original Lasers) the rubber felt too bulky but they're into the third generation now(those awful green ones).

I wore Nike Legends for a while, nothing fancy just a solid kangaroo leather boot but recently bought the new Predator Xs. I haven't played in them yet but the feel fantastic just wearing them around the house.

Your best bet and really what everyone will tell you is to go try a bunch of boots on and pick the ones that are most comfortable, regardless of brand or price point.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

Hahaha wow these are ancient. I had a pair in white when I was a kid.

edit -

also had these :swoon:

People loving love Manias. If you have Manias is playable condition you can easily get their original value on eBay.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Craiglen posted:

Umbro Speciali. No messing around.

Do you have the Umbro Speciali EAT MY GOAL edition though?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDS-002-014-086&DEPT=&DEPTTYPE=&BRAND=&ST=1&SIZE=&MIN=&MAX=&SRH=eat%20my%20goal

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

Puma King supremacy!

loving loved Puma Kings. Wish I never stopped wearing them.

I did have the Puma King Execs too, those were loving hot.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

I live in a humid climate, but most of the ground is grass over clay a few feet beneath (North Carolina). Do I want firm ground shoes?

Yes.

The general idea I use is that if it hasn't rained heavily in a few days or the pitch I'm playing on isn't watered constantly I'm wearing firm ground boots.

I live in New Jersey so my humidity and soil is pretty similar to NC.

Buy both, warm up with one FG and one SG boot on and see which one feels the best. That's what I generally do. Obviously if you know the field is very wet it's an easy decision but I've found that a) some leagues don't allow SG studs and b) the pressure points on your feet are different so it might be uncomfortable.

Some professionals only play in FG boots because they don't like the SG studs, namely Diego Forlan who pretty much torpedoed his Manchester United career by wearing FG boots when Fergie told him to wear SG and slipping while he had a goal scoring opportunity.

tl;dr Wear what you're comfortable with, don't wear SG boots if you're not comfortable wearing them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

calcio posted:

I have another two brand new backup pair in the basement.

Never seen the AG/field turf configuration on the Pulses, interesting(the ones on the right with the extra blades in the middle).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

Alright, looking at the Adidas Predator X Absolion. Good price.

If you can afford it the top end version is your best bet in terms of construction, etc. If not the second tier isn't terrible but you might be better off buying a vanilla Puma King/Nike Air Legend/Adidas Copa Mundial/Adidas Adipure/Umbro Speciali instead which will probably be around the same price point but made out of kangaroo leather instead of whatever they're using on the Absolions these days.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

How bad are the Adidas Predator Absolado X if they're going for $17.00?

Real synthetic leather and generally poo poo construction. Also all of the "Predator" stuff is printed on the boot and not actually functional.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

Best boots I've ever had were Nike Mercurial Vapours. So nice to play in.

Which ones? I had the III and IV and both gave me horrible blisters.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Umbro does a quality boot, can't really go wrong with them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

These. Pretty old, but I loved them.

OG Vapors. Never wore em but they're supposed to be p good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

Do you know if it's possible to still buy them? I lost my pair and on the odd occasion I play in boots I'm stuck with my old Predators and I much prefer the Nikes.

eBay but you'll get absolutely raped on price.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Biggy_ posted:

Anyone with an iphone should check out Nike Football presents Soccer training or something. Type in nike football and itll come up, it's a series of training vids made by Juventus coaches and has guest appearances by Fernando Torres on finishing and Robbie Keane on taking penalties (!!!). It's not bad for free

Have a couple on my phone. Haven't watched them yet.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hieronymus Bosch posted:

Has anyone messed with the new World Cup ball?

I just bought the 2006 one in a firesale ($30) and it's such an amazing ball. I'm wondering if there's any drastic difference in the new one like the TGII.

Hated the Teamgeist I. It was way too slippery when it got wet. The TGII wasn't as bad because it was textured. Haven't played with the new ball yet.

I'm a Nike ball man through and through.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Humuhumu posted:

Rolled my ankle on sunday and guess I damaged some ligaments, still swollen now.

So, play next Sunday, good idea or brilliant idea?

Once you get moving around and it swells up again and stabilizes you'll be fine.

I'm being serious. I played with an ankle three times the normal size without pain once I let the fluid stabilize everything.

Of course I dislocated my knee the same match in a totally innocuous situation landing after jumping to block a shot.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Epic boot fail...

Bought a pair of custom miadidas Predator Xs. They're a half size too big. The potential resale on them is nil as well since they're different sizes(my left foot is half a size bigger than right).

I'm going to order another pair and wear these for training I guess. Not 100% happy with the colorway I designed anyway.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

First practice of the season tomorrow. I'm so horribly unfit it's going to be a disaster.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

Yeah I know what the positions are about. My passing and crossing is absolutely not a problem and I've been working on aggressive dribbling every week so that's really starting to improve, it's how to make runs and find space that I need help with because there isn't an obvious way to train it.

Diagonal runs across defenders into space, that's the kind of runs to make. If you don't have the ball you don't want to be running at a defender, you want to be running across him. Make the defender make a decision to follow you, or step up and try to play you offside, or pass you off to another defender. A stagnant forward is a useless forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tbp posted:

I played right back for like two games once. I hated the gently caress out of fullback. Its so much about effort, and you could honestly just gently caress about and never overlap and poo poo and thats literally what I did. Sweeper/CAM here..

gently caress that. Play left/right back like Patrice Evra or Glen Johnson. I'm constantly in the attacking third of the field. It helps that my midfielders can't cross the ball for poo poo so I overlap and send balls in, which inevitably get skied or shanked away anyway. :negative: