Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

platero posted:

@platero: my eye fell out this morning but we superglued it back on.

Twitter's too brief for the magical life her mother will create for her. Mom will be writing a blog in the imagined voice of her fleshbag before long.

"I went for a walk today with Mommy. I laughed when mommy pointed out a funny squirrel. I love pink! Mommy puts my pink shoes on when we go out and I love to look at them. They have sparkles on the toes. I was very tired after. Mommy put on a cartoon and I fell asleep."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Karo posted:

Considering a similar case that lived for six months this could go on for a while.

6 months? The article says that baby was over 2 years old when it died. :confused:

I'm very curious as to if there was any sort of development in that time governed by the brain stem. The article doesn't make any mention of it.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

The Butcher posted:

If you mean mental development, then no, there was none. The brain stem just can't do more then what it's "programmed" for.

No, I mean as far as physical growth.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

She's acting like someone without much of a brain at all to gain an understanding of how her kid's life could be.

She probably doesn't want to take the kid to an ER because she knows she'll get another lecture on how her baby is headed towards death and her attempts to keep it alive are futile. It's all true but she can't handle hearing it. She's in complete denial, and she's convinced herself that her baby is somehow the *Miracle Anencephalic Angel* who will defy all the dismal diagnosis.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

I had sent a very brief, kind email to her just telling her she's a very loving mother and to ignore and nasty things that people may have said, and told her to remember to take time to take care of herself too since she does such a good job of taking care of the baby. That's it, no mention of the condition or anything. I just got a response from her:

"DO NOT contact me again."

That was in response to kind words. She needs serious help. If anyone else is considering emailing her to say anything nice, I don't think that's a good idea. She's not distinguishing helpful from hurtful.

And whoever did send hurtful messages to her, you need more help than she does.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

I made the mistake of browsing the Facebook prayer group for her and her baby. You think she's sick in the head? You should see the people supporting her.

I saw a post that one lady had made that basically said, "You are a very good mother, and it's clear you love your baby very much. But she should be in the hospital with round-the-clock care, it's obvious from some of your videos that she's struggling to breathe."

A few hours later that post was gone, and there were a few more comments from group members above where it had been, one being, "Thank you (moderator), for removing that person. We don't need that sort of Satan-speak here."

What the gently caress? Any attempt at rational thinking is declared the devil's work. It's like a mini-cult.

The rest of them just mindlessly (heh) quote scripture. It's creepy.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

More evidence of problems upstairs:

quote:

internet terrorists
demonic forces
truly puppets of satan

But:

quote:

I do forgive you!

Maybe any Christians reading this can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't truly forgive someone and yet keep insulting them at the same time, am I right? Seems pretty hypocritical.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Oh man. That latest video where it's wheezing and gasping for air and she just stares at it doe-eyed and kisses it. :gonk:

I kinda wonder if child welfare would have grounds to tromp in there and cart the baby off to the hospital? Even though it's not sentient and all I still can't help feel sick at the fact that it's in clear respiratory distress and all she does is smooch it.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

GonzoRonin posted:

Crazy lady's blog:

Haha, wow, I was just speculating on that the other day too. I wonder if someone from here called it in.

But yeah, I wouldn't consider it a bad idea. If she really wants the baby to breathe properly, it needs to be at least masked. The fact that it's on 3 different meds to breathe, and is still gasping, means they aren't working. And for mom to find a threat to call her in "funny" just adds another tick on the "candidate for extended stay in the mental ward" checklist.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Captain Backslap posted:

Well, she lashes out at even reasonable emails. So hate mail is all mail.

Unless it's something like, "Myah you are an absolute angel and Faith is a precious gift from the sweet Lord! God Bless you both!"

But then again she'd probably take that as sarcasm and tell the sender not to contact her again.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Ugh, from the Facebook group...sounds like "grammy" is one of the people planting this crap in her daughter's head:

Myah posted:

My mom reminded me that these people must be very miserable in their own lives and just want to make other people miserable like them... sad... on the outside they are malicious and evil, on the inside may be a lot of pain and suffering (and obviously demons).

Fact: Demons are real and lurk inside people!

I had wanted to give the grandmother the benefit of the doubt, and assume that she was reluctantly going along with the sad spectacle in an attempt to preserve her daughter's sanity.

Part of Everything fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 24, 2009

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Awesome Andrew posted:

Suddenly I feel bad about my avatar. :smith:

You should. You ought to have picked the Lindbergh baby.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

One of the most rational prayers I've ever heard doesn't even come from the Bible:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Which is too bad, because if it was word-for-word scripture maybe Myah would actually pay some attention to it.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Oooh.

Facebook cult posted:

Dearest Myah, your journey has touched me in the most profound way. Praise Jesus! I cried while reading your blog, and the things that those horrible EVIL people did to you! They will receive punishment in the next life. Glory be to God! I wanted to share with you this beautiful song that reminded me of your sweet Faith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKK8mAkiUI

Wonder how quick they'll get rid of that!

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

JARJARBannedCar posted:

That's one impressive brainless baby.

Well, no, not really. Mike the Headless Chicken was more impressive, as he could stand and move places.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

ohnoyoudidnt posted:

I had to go up to Wales for work today, and on the way there, some girls sat down near me on the train and picked up a newspaper that had been left behind. It was called 'The Good News'. :downsbravo:

Haha, a couple times I've had biblethumpers come to my door, brandishing one of those and asking if I'd like to hear about the Word. A simple "no" or arguing with them only makes them talk more, as I learned, so the last time a guy came (dragging his ~7 year old, depressed looking kid with him no less) I told him, "I had a nice long talk with another representative last time, but I'll gladly take one of your magazines! God bless you!" A smile and a GBY back, and he and the kid were gone. Whew.

Those magazines make good kindling for the Hibachi, btw.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

An observer posted:

My boyfriend does not exchange any words. He comes to the door naked.

And erect?

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Eh, she's not holed up. There's a blog post from today, just a pile of photos of the baby looking greasy and inert.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Wow, yeah, I'd thought that theory was kinda flighty as well, but I'm surprised! Well, surprised that this is the scenario, but not that an uber-religious person is a deceptive scumbag.

Judging by how outspoken he probably was while living the evangelist charade, it was likely known that he was married, and there's probably a good chance he wore a wedding band. I really doubt that Myah would have been in the dark about his marital status. Which makes her not only a fornicator, but an adulterer as well!

The initial feeling of pity I had for her has really waned. It's insulting to have a God warrior tell you whatever you believe is wrong, but even more insulting when that person doesn't practice what they preach.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

samizdat posted:

I'm all :f5: but I realize it's probably still night time in Canada (or that part of it, at least).

Yeah, about 3:52 am at the time of this post.
e: in NB.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

ohnoyoudidnt posted:

EDIT: I still see Myah as very much a victim. The baby's defect, of course, is not her fault. Imagine being drawn in by a charismatic person who seems to offer you everything you've been looking for, at a time when you're vulnerable. It must have felt like winning the lottery. I feel so, so sorry for her. The father deserves far more of our rage.

He definitely does. I think though that the anger directed towards her is not because she allowed the baby to be born, or even that she wants to believe it's going to be ok. It's because she refuses to look listen to reason, has lashed out at even the kindest pieces of advice, and is basically just sticking her fingers in her ears and going, "La la la lalalalala, I can't hear you! God loves me and you are evil la la la la!" So I can totally understand why people's pity for her has faded. It's like having a stupid dog that keeps playing in traffic, and you try to correct it constantly so it won't get killed, but every time you approach it it nips at you. Eventually you stop caring.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

I don't think anybody's going to get anything more out of the situation at this point. Myah, her followers, and Dan have already shown that no amount of sense or rationalization about anything is going to change their delusional thoughts one bit.

Myah will continue being a broken, weak-minded person in denial about having a meatdoll, Dan will continue being a two-faced poo poo who preys on the weak-minded, and all the crazy fundies will continue being crazy fundies. I think the best thing we can do now is just leave it alone and be glad that most of us are decent people capable of rational thought, who tried to help Myah somewhat.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I fully support keeping pictures like this coming, though!

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

This is so horrible but I couldn't stop thinking about doing it. A variation on this old meme:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/a8/a85f0c22937db7fe3fa06ee0ecacbac539a65392.jpg

Becomes this:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/16/16e2647690a5ad2c4dd194e6158ae01b838a1c29.jpg

I just kept imagining it! :(

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

samizdat posted:

I didn't know what Highfield was, and just assumed it was some kind of Canadian vernacular insult.

I'm Canadian and have never heard that word.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Oooh...little plastic policemen...that's harsh. :(

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

DominionGalactica posted:

The horrible part is that the baby will die and Myah is going to be absolutely shattered with what appears to be little to no responsible and rational support.

Pretty much. The 'support' she'll get will be along the lines of messages from her fan club like, "God will keep you strong! We're praying for you!", etc. Unfortunately, that doesn't equal psychiatric help, which is undoubtedly what she'll need.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

BunnySkull posted:

This looks to be the original post Myah made, looking for a church, and by which Dan found her and took her under his "wing"!

'Batwing' would be about accurate.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

She must be enjoying even the negative attention on some level, otherwise she would have pulled her blog and all her self-published articles and disappeared off the internet. Heck, you can make blog postings private or available only to a select group of friends, right? She could have done that if she really wanted to, at least until all the frenzy blew over.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Apology posted:

Too bad it's not true about cats stealing a baby's breath.

Maybe we can hope for the cat stealing baby's Pulmicort.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Hearts on Fire posted:

Evil? That seems a bit much. He's obviously completely full of it/himself, and a jerk, but I wouldn't call him evil. He hasn't really committed any 'crimes' apart from hypocrisy, and people do worse than what he's done every day. I'm not defending his actions, but maybe some people in this thread need to be a little less hysterical over this guy. He's really not worth the effort, right?

People who masquerade as righteous while lying and manipulating others are the worst kind of evil. Not all sociopaths are convicts, you know.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Arch Stanton posted:

Turns out it's just a manic religious zealot who hosed up bad and now feels embarrassed and ashamed.

He doesn't feel either. One of the marks of a sociopath is the gift of gab. They're really, really good at 'admitting' their faults and expressing 'remorse' for them, in an attempt to win people over. Of course, they don't express this until they've been caught in an act that they can't lie their way out of anymore. They're chameleons, often reinventing themselves once a shoe they've been wearing doesn't fit anymore. They're very talented at manipulating the emotions of others.

Don't anyone trust this piece of poo poo. Some of us can see what you really are, Dan.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

ZoSoZodiac posted:

Holy poo poo, they are indeed gone.

I'm very surprised where this has gone.

Don't buy into this poo poo. He'll just make another one somewhere else, under a different name.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Apology posted:

Honestly, Dan, every time you think about blogging, testifying, prophesizing, or preaching, you should remember Matthew 6:6 and just not do it.

Also I'm glad you acknowledge how decent your wife has been to you. Very few women would have stuck by you, and nobody would have blamed her if she left. You should do something nice for her, like do the dishes without being asked, make her a nice meal, pick her some wildflowers, write her a love note, etc., every day for the rest of your life out of gratitude. It still won't be enough, but it will be something.

Of course he's going to sing her praises. The poor woman's the one person who will stick by him no matter who else sees through the facade, therefore he still has a use for her, and will continue to keep her around as long as she's useful in this way to him. Why do you think he's already been divorced? Because the other women saw what he really was, and if they didn't drop him, then he dropped them fast.
People like him USE others. They don't appreciate. They only use.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

PooBoots posted:

This part of the thread has played out in similar ways to a Helldump callout thread.

"Hey, Jerkface! You're a furry/pedo/whatever! Here's a ton of proof from your own stuff!"

What's the usual reaction?

"Oh, that? That was ages ago! I'm not like that anymore!"

and/or

"Hey! I'm just a regular guy, just like you! Here, let me make some self-deprecating jokes about myself, and maybe I'll fit in/you'll forget about me!"

(Meanwhile, he's been as busy as Stalin, removing all incriminating evidence.)

Add me to the skeptics. I think we're being manipulated.

Here's the scenario generalized a bit more:

Bunch of people: Hey, you! We caught you doing (situation)! How could you??

Sociopath: Yaknow, you guys are right. I hosed up...man, I feel bad. I'm really sorry.

Bunch of people: Why did you do it??

Sociopath: (series of logical, reasonable-sounding explanations)

Bunch of people: We still don't believe you're sorry!

Sociopath: I really am. Look, I'll prove it. (Does something drastic in a self-sacrificing way)

Bunch of people: Wow, you actually did that...I guess you really are sorry. You're not so bad after all.

Sociopath: (thinking - whew!)

The sociopath might then disappear for a bit before re-establishing himself in another role where he can't be caught by the same people.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Dan Lirette posted:

Part of Everything posted: He doesn't feel either. One of the marks of a sociopath is the gift of gab. They're really, really good at 'admitting' their faults and expressing 'remorse' for them, in an attempt to win people over. Of course, they don't express this until they've been caught in an act that they can't lie their way out of anymore. They're chameleons, often reinventing themselves once a shoe they've been wearing doesn't fit anymore. They're very talented at manipulating the emotions of others.

"caught in the act"? I came clean with everyone personally long before I was "caught in the act", POE.

If I'm "reinventing" myself as you say, where's the evidence I've yelled and screamed at people in the last year or done the things I did?

Oh... that's right.... only 350 church people a year ago knew what I did as well as family and friends.

And who's the sociopath?

When exposed for who they are, the arguments of sociopaths also devolve into running in circles and vague terms. You really are a textbook case, Danny.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

I Wish I Was posted:

Eventually rigor mortis will set in and she won't be able to flop the baby around anymore, so she can't keep pretending it's alive on camera forever.

Rigor mortis only lasts for a few hours. She'll be able to fling it around like a rag doll again after a short while.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Dan Lirette posted:

I own a small business. I'm a certified nerd.

When it comes to all things IT, Hardware etc etc, don't bullshit me.

:monocle: Whoa slow down there with your crazy techspeak! "All things IT"? "Hardware"? You are clearly an expert in the field with your big words and your empires

e: How is it that us lowly plebs know how to use the Quote button and you don't, O IT Wizard? :iiam:

Part of Everything fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 13, 2009

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Count_Granola posted:

Also, bomb Dan's house.

Fixed. That would solve several problems at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

amireallydanny posted:

https://www.dannylirette.net
It's been fun guys, being here as an experiment, but get to that link quickly; it's meant specifically for the Goons, so I'll be taking it down shortly.

A crumpled pile of paper laid on the floor. Dozens of rough drafts Dan had written of his heartfelt letter. The most important letter of his life.

"Must...make it...sound...sincere!" He grunted as the pen in his stumpy fingers scratched out yet another version. He just didn't understand this...this, "human emotion". It frustrated him. There was nothing more to life beyond using others for personal gain. Right? Right?? The stumpy fingers left the pen for a moment to scratch his grotesquely lumpy brow.

A face peeked around the doorframe. Dan's fully-brained daughter. "Daddy?" she inquired softly.

Dan didn't look up from his notepad. "Daddy's busy," he growled.

"But...Daddy? I'm hungry. There's no food left in the-"

"I SAID DADDY'S BUSY!!" Dan roared, slamming his fist down onto the desk. He turned and glared at the doorway. The girl's eyes brimmed with tears and she disappeared from view.

Dan went back to his paper, spending a few more minutes thoughtfully jotting words down. Finally, he set the pen down and read over his work.

"Yes. Yes. This should do..." He muttered to himself, as he turned to the computer keyboard and began to type.