Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

s a r c a s m i c :allears:
:keke:
Although the following two threads exist:

Perhaps it would be interesting to know what people start (and when) before the conclusion is reached or text read.
Or we could trash talk people for what they spend $ on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Example post i guess...

began Infinate Jest - David Foster Wallace

began Travels in Hyperreality - Umberto Eco

started somewhere in the middle of The Idot - Fydo

purchased Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America - Brian Slattery

breasts

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I just started (last week) Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Really enjoying it so far, almost finished.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Novel-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0060558121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240325561&sr=8-1

I just bought the first book of the Dresden Files, Storm Front, haven't gotten a chance to start it.
http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-Dresden-Files-Book/dp/0451457811/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240325608&sr=1-2

Judah Maccabeezus
Jul 26, 2006

ExCruceLeo posted:

I just started (last week) Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Really enjoying it so far, almost finished.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Novel-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0060558121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240325561&sr=8-1

I just finished that book and thought it was amazing! I'm on a modern fiction kick so I just picked up Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters and Ellis' American Psycho.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Just about to start Resolution by Robert B. Parker - the sequel to his Western Appaloosa which I just read yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Resolution-Robert-B-Parker/dp/039915504X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240327845&sr=1-1

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Picked up Wonder Boys last week. I had a borders coupon and some free time, so I wandered with only some longshot ideas (which they didn't have), but the last Chabon novel I haven't read in an edition without Michael Douglas' mug on the cover caught my eye.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Encryptic posted:

Just about to start Resolution by Robert B. Parker - the sequel to his Western Appaloosa which I just read yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Resolution-Robert-B-Parker/dp/039915504X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240327845&sr=1-1

I was about to ask you how Appaloosa was, but since you just bought the sequel I guess I know all I need to know.

I just bought Fall of Hyperion, and will probably start it today, unless I buy the 3rd Dexter book today, in which case I'll probably start that and leave the Simmons for later in the week.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Ballsworthy posted:

I was about to ask you how Appaloosa was, but since you just bought the sequel I guess I know all I need to know.

I just bought Fall of Hyperion, and will probably start it today, unless I buy the 3rd Dexter book today, in which case I'll probably start that and leave the Simmons for later in the week.

Didn't actually buy it - just rented both of 'em from the library along with Parker's retelling of the Wyatt Earp story (Gunman's Rhapsody). :)

Appaloosa was pretty good, though I feel like Parker could have done a little more with it. I liked it well enough to continue on with Resolution, though.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
I tend to read several books at once.

Re-reading "The Curve Of Binding Energy"
Reading "Timeline" (God, it's so drat Crichton-y, but I am determined to finish)
Re-reading "The Road"

Just bought:

I can't wait!

Varicose Brains
Apr 10, 2008

I'm currently reading;

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan.
A Game of Thrones by that fat guy who might die on us like the above author did.
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

I tend to read several books at once like a lot of others here. Also, I've recently bought all the other books in the Song of Ice and Fire series, plus hardback copies of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I prefer hardbacks to paperbacks because I tend to treat my books roughly (bending spines a lot), so hardbacks last longer.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I bought Freud for beginners, The Savage Detective by Roberto Bolanos, Fear and loathing by Thompson, Dispaches by Herr, a random collection of poetry by Emily Dickinson, Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas and White Noise by Don DeLillo. Spent 47 euros. Real happy about my investment. I'm trying to read them all at once.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I recently started tearing through Nick Hawkaway's The Gone-Away World and man it loving rules.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I won't say I just bought it, but I'm currently enjoying Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. It's different than his other novels. It's not nearly as grim as his other books and it is actually quite funny at parts.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Earwicker posted:

I recently started tearing through Nick Hawkaway's The Gone-Away World and man it loving rules.

I just started that as well along with

The Art of War - Sun-Tzu
I bought a set of 12 of Penguin's Great Ideas series and this is the first I'm going through.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Because I had a giftcard and this was just too ridiculous to pass up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Currently reading:
Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon

About halfway through and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Only problem is there are alot of characters and the author loves to go on long side stories. Makes it hard to remember who is who and the details of the case.

Just bought:
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Encryptic posted:

Didn't actually buy it - just rented both of 'em from the library along with Parker's retelling of the Wyatt Earp story (Gunman's Rhapsody). :)

Appaloosa was pretty good, though I feel like Parker could have done a little more with it. I liked it well enough to continue on with Resolution, though.

I've been craving western media recently and I've been planning to read Appaloosa after having seen the movie. I had no idea there was a sequel.

Currently I'm slowly plodding my way through Lonesome Dove. I'm almost to the halfway point of this monster but it's fantastic. Give it a 100 pages and you'll be hooked. I can't wait to watch the miniseries, which is said to be fantastic.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

Slothapotamus posted:

A Game of Thrones by that fat guy who might die on us like the above author did.

Just bought A Feast for Crows to force myself to finish A Storm of Swords.

I bought the first book of Malazan Book of the Fallen also, because i have a feeling Ol' George is gonna either die, or not know exactly how to finish the series and just draw it out into nothingness. So i might as well get on with a series that might actually get finished.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Despite being halfway through Lolita for the last month and about 60 pages into White Teeth all while taking a full load of medical school classes, I just started The Master and Margarita last week when my turn came on the waiting list at the library. Devil knows why I over extend myself this way, but M&M really kicks rear end, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Bosushi! posted:

I've been craving western media recently and I've been planning to read Appaloosa after having seen the movie. I had no idea there was a sequel.

Currently I'm slowly plodding my way through Lonesome Dove. I'm almost to the halfway point of this monster but it's fantastic. Give it a 100 pages and you'll be hooked. I can't wait to watch the miniseries, which is said to be fantastic.

Haven't seen the movie yet myself. I learned it was based on the book and I was in the mood for a western so I figured I'd give the book a try before I saw the movie.

I just finished Resolution earlier. Yes, I'm a fast reader, but it was a pretty fast-paced read anyway - liked it better than Appaloosa. There's already a third book called Brimstone out, though I guess I'll be waiting on the library to get that one in since I liked the first two books.

Going to start London: The Biography by Peter Ackroyd next.

Blissey
Apr 25, 2008
Currently reading:

Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco: Taking forever to get through.
Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy: Also taking forever to get through, neither one is top priority, right now, though.
Life of Pi, Yann Martel: It's flowing smoothly, but I'm finding his writing style rather sub par.
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury: Enjoying it, it really picks up after Clarisse dies.

Recently bought:

The Painted Bird, Jerzy Kosinski
Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison
"The Good War", Studs Terkel (secondhand, $2 :smugdog:)

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

Xenix posted:

It's not nearly as grim

How far have you gotten?

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Blissey posted:

Currently reading:

Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco: Taking forever to get through.

I hear that, I've been reading that book for like 6 months at this point. It's become a real battle. I really enjoy it, but its become pretty dry. I'm about 2/3s through it.

To contribute, I just the other day picked up:

Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep
Raymond Chandler - The Lady in the Lake
Dan Abnett - Xenos
Dan Abnett - Necropolis
Ed Greenwood - Elminster: The Making of a Mage
Robert Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

I read The Lady in the Lake over the weekend, just about finished with it now, and I plan to move on to either Necropolis or Elminster next. I crave pulpy fiction after wrestling with Eco for so long.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I just picked up The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie for no reason other than it it sounds fun, I've been re-reading old books for to long and they didn't have the two books I actually went in looking for.

MrBearYouSpeakLies
Jan 23, 2007
Just started the unadulterated Pride and Prejudice. I've got to say that the first chapter is perhaps one of the best-written pieces I've ever read. When I finish I may pick up the +zombie edition.

Suttree is a wonderful little book. I used to live in Knoxville and McCarthy did a fantastic job of capturing the spirit of the city. I always wind up talking about the book when drinking Early Times with my pals.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.
I'm about two and a half chapters into an advance copy of Digital Barbarism: A Writer's Manifesto by Mark Helprin and it's hilariously awful. So far it's just been a combination of drat Kids! GIZMOS! and discredited right-wing talking points. I also find it funny that I'm reading it on a Kindle, since according to him we should go back to having to use candles for illumination

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Just picked up and started House of Leaves.

ExCruceLeo posted:

I'm thinking of picking this up next, it looked real interesting from what I've read of it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I recently read Anansi Boys, how does American Gods compare? I've heard from some people that they are essentially the same story but Anansi Boys approaches it in a more lighthearted way.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
My copy of Neal Asher's Line War should be in my mailbox any day now. It's the last Ian Cormac novel, and like most of the rest of the series I've had to have it imported from the UK because Tor only wants to release books 1 and 3 in the US for some reason (this may not be true anymore, actually, I haven't checked recently, but the last novel is definitely not released in the US). Anyway, I've got a hardon the size of Florida in expectation for this, I've been gay for the series since Gridlinked and there was some pretty serious poo poo that went down at the end of book 4.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe

Ballsworthy posted:

My copy of Neal Asher's Line War should be in my mailbox any day now. It's the last Ian Cormac novel, and like most of the rest of the series I've had to have it imported from the UK because Tor only wants to release books 1 and 3 in the US for some reason (this may not be true anymore, actually, I haven't checked recently, but the last novel is definitely not released in the US). Anyway, I've got a hardon the size of Florida in expectation for this, I've been gay for the series since Gridlinked and there was some pretty serious poo poo that went down at the end of book 4.

I'm in the same boat as you with importing Asher's books. There's a prequel book out in the Cormac series, 'Shadow of the Scorpion' if you need more after you get done with 'Line War'.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I just started David Michaelis' biography on Charles Schulz and I'm already really enjoying it. I like how he illustrates his thesis - that Schultz's strip was a reflection, or at least a distillation, of his life experiences - by tying it to the strip early an often.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Joshtafari posted:

I'm in the same boat as you with importing Asher's books. There's a prequel book out in the Cormac series, 'Shadow of the Scorpion' if you need more after you get done with 'Line War'.

Shadow of the Scorpion owns. The blurb's not joking when it talks about Cormac's "bloody past", that book was as violent as gently caress, even for Asher.

I've still got Hilldiggers, Cowl, and most of his short stories to work my way through yet, though, so I ain't hurting yet. Thanks, though.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I recently purchased the Jungle by Upton Sinclair, and have been enjoying reading about the hardships immigrants faced in early 20th century America. Well, I shouldn't say enjoying, but it's an informative read. What has disgusted me is how the meat packing plants were run, and the amount of things that went unchecked.

I am waiting for the Gulf War Did Not Take Place by Jean Baudrillard in the mail. It should be here any day now.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

ExCruceLeo posted:

How far have you gotten?

Maybe two thirds to three quarters of the way through. Sure there are some parts such as learning he abandoned his wife and child, and then the child died but it's nothing like some of his other novels. I suppose there could be more coming. Don't ruin it for me!

edit: but it does have a ton of humor in it. I also like how McCarthy is in love with the word carom, too.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Jekub posted:

I just picked up The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie for no reason other than it it sounds fun, I've been re-reading old books for to long and they didn't have the two books I actually went in looking for.

I hope you'll tell me your thoughts. I haven't met a lot of people who read it and I'm eager to see if I'm retarded in my thoughts on it.

I just picked up The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. It is a terrible book and I am an rear end in a top hat for having bought it.

debasuuuh
Jun 17, 2005

silly hats only

anathenema posted:

I hope you'll tell me your thoughts. I haven't met a lot of people who read it and I'm eager to see if I'm retarded in my thoughts on it.

Can I jump in and say I didn't much enjoy it? I still finished all three, though, so I don't know what that says about me.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

Dacap posted:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Because I had a giftcard and this was just too ridiculous to pass up.
lol. now i know what i'm getting my sister for her birthday

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

Xenix posted:

Maybe two thirds to three quarters of the way through. Sure there are some parts such as learning he abandoned his wife and child, and then the child died but it's nothing like some of his other novels. I suppose there could be more coming. Don't ruin it for me!

edit: but it does have a ton of humor in it. I also like how McCarthy is in love with the word carom, too.

Yeah you're right, it's not as bad, I guess I just felt it was more real. My favorite line in the book is: "The crimes of the moonlight melonmounter followed him as crimes will."

Just finished American Gods, really enjoyed it.

Started Dresden Files book 1 last night. So far I really like the flow. I'm only a couple chapters in but enjoying it so far.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I've been reading through Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors which is a really, really awesome short story collection just oozing with Gaiman-ity.

I've also been reading Poppy Z. Brite's Wormwood which is disgustingly delicious. Borrowed it from a classmate after she gave a presentation on it.

Started A Game of Thrones, wondering how long it'll take to get through. Seems okay so far.

I've also been reading the short story collections Wastelands and The Living Dead, which were both edited by John Joseph Adams.

I'm going to pick up Jim Butcher's Storm Front later today, which I've heard decent things about.

Starting on War and Peace and Dune Messiah soon. Could I please read some weirder combinations of poo poo?

What's the consensus on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? The cover art is genius. Guessing I should read P&P first? :P

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

debasuuuh posted:

Can I jump in and say I didn't much enjoy it? I still finished all three, though, so I don't know what that says about me.

I'm still reading aforementioned terrible book, so I'm sure I share whatever affliction plagues you.

I was rather fond of the series, but felt Abercrombie might have gone the exact opposite way of most fantasy writers. On the one hand, he's not part of the race to recreate medieval England that so many other writers are a part of, but the rest of his world doesn't seem that well-fleshed. His characters are fun, but he has a habit of forgetting that he has multiple ones. He has a lot of fun dialogue, a lot of neat combat and some cool little quirks...but he has no idea how to end his stories.

He's putting out a standalone book in the same universe rather soon, so we'll hopefully see what that's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
The Childrens Hospital, by Chris Adrian.

quote:

From Publishers Weekly
Medicine, magic, the biblical story of Noah and sociological ruminations about Americans in the throes of the apocalypse come together in physician Adrian's hip, wry and ambitious debut. When the world is submerged beneath seven miles of water, only those aboard the Children's Hospital, a working medical facility and ark built by architect turned prophet John Grampus (who was ordered by God "to save the kids") survive. Four chatty, digressive and at times grimly comic angels (the recorder, the preserver, the accuser and the destroyer) narrate this epic tale, which follows heart-sick medical student Jemma and the hospital's other unlikely inhabitants (such as the overly-cutely-named Dr. Snood and Ethel Puffer) as they attempt to ensure humanity's survival and live by virtue of the ship's "replicators," heaven-sent devices that can make "apples out of old shoes; shoes out of poo poo." Eventually, Jemma discovers her magical ability to heal the sick. As fragments of her tragic past come to light, so do clues about humanity's future, and, after 200 days at sea, what part Jemma will finally play in it. This dense and lengthy satirical-but-sincere novel may challenge readers' patience with its fairy-tale-like characters and its long-windedness, but Adrian's knack for surprise and his ability to find meaning in seemingly ridiculous situations is rewarding.

I heard about it when it came out, through McSweeneys, and finally saw it in Borders and bought it impulsively. It's pretty good so far; definitely a little strange.

• Locked thread