Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nerobro posted:

AsiaTee's just released form 1:76 scale cars.

.......... They're awesome. $55 and totally worth it. 30 minute run time, proportional control, and can be hooked up to "normal" radios.

Now I need to buy a third, and convert one of my Bit Char-G cars to ~proper~ lipo use and full proportional.

This seems super dope. I love little cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
While on vacation I picked up a Arrma Senton 3S BLX and it rips!

Well, rips tires, I dont think one of the rears were glued properly and on my first 100% 3S run ant it separated and ripped a little.

A trip to the dollar store and some gorilla glue got it back to "good enough" status.

Gonna need a set of street tires and off road tires.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I went to Southern Utah to visit my parents over the weeked after deciding our trip to Moab was too short lived. I took a swath of pictures of the SCX10III to build up a library of media to share on our social streams and w/e so have an eyeful.

I woke up at 6:30 on a Saturday to get a good bit of lighting for these.

the moon was still hanging out.

Probably the best photo I took the entire weekend

I went up later in the day with my son and over the course of the weekend I probably spent almost three hours on the rocks. :iia:

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Anyone race GT12? I'm moving to an area where the closest track that races weekly is carpet onroad and GT12 is the most popular class. It looks like a cool entry to onroad racing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if you've got a properly prepped track for it, 1/12 is loads of fun - and that looks like an interesting ruleset. Less downforce / more drag than the prototype-style 1/12 bodies, and the cars are so light that 13.5 on 1S would be plenty fast.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Anyone here have any experience with the RGT EX series crawlers? I've upgraded my WPL C24 to the hilt and I think I'd like to get out of 1/16 scale but I can't quite stomach the price of an SCX10.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Anyone here have any experience with the RGT EX series crawlers? I've upgraded my WPL C24 to the hilt and I think I'd like to get out of 1/16 scale but I can't quite stomach the price of an SCX10.

You may check out the selection from Element RC? With their monthly coupon code you might be able to sneak out of Amain right around $300 RTR...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I googled this to see what these even were.

You can check out my post history here by clicking on the "?" under my user name but really just get the SCX10 - even the SCX10ii. You don't need the brand new 10iii. A lot of times there are good sales on those models, or even finding a used one would be a good pickup. One goon here found a SCX10ii deadbolt for like $200.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I'd try to get an elementRC crawler or an scx10.2

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You can check out my post history here by clicking on the "?" under my user name but really just get the SCX10 - even the SCX10ii. You don't need the brand new 10iii. A lot of times there are good sales on those models, or even finding a used one would be a good pickup. One goon here found a SCX10ii deadbolt for like $200.

That was me. Bought it used in good shape at the beginning of covid for $200 with everything ready to go, battery, radio etc. Its been a lot of fun and it's stood up to a lot of abuse. Incredibly capable and has taught me a lot. Nothing has broken and I don't really know enough to want to upgrade anytime soon but it's nice to know there's a ton of parts and support for this model. Its been a very good buy and would highly recommend.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
As another option at $300 RTR if you want new, it appears Redcat just put out an updated GEN8 V2 Scout II. Might be interesting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's a sharp looking unit.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Winter is coming and I don’t want to stand in the rain. Any good options for like 1:28 for zooming around the house with maybe FPV? Basically I’m looking for a car version of a TinyWhoop. I had a WL toys one that had proportional steering but the controller was tiny for adult hands. I see a Team Associated car that is similar. Neither has a swappable battery though. I want to charge a few lipos and bop around a bit. Am I missing an option?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

antimatt posted:

You may check out the selection from Element RC? With their monthly coupon code you might be able to sneak out of Amain right around $300 RTR...

I should explain I am getting into RC by way of 1/24 scale modeling so scale is important- the Enduro Trailrunner and its IFS was tempting but I was worried I'd be better served by the aftermarket with an Axial

Somewhat Heroic posted:

RGT is apparently made by HSP so I'm intrigued but the only reviews I can find are largely sponsored that play like infomercials. As I said I'm into scale so I'd prefer something truck-like (SCX/TRX) but covid has sent prices locally/ebay thru the roof.

antimatt posted:

As another option at $300 RTR if you want new, it appears Redcat just put out an updated GEN8 V2 Scout II. Might be interesting.

I was very sold on the Redcat Gen8 until I started to read about reliability issues which has pushed me back toward an Axial.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I should explain I am getting into RC by way of 1/24 scale modeling so scale is important- the Enduro Trailrunner and its IFS was tempting but I was worried I'd be better served by the aftermarket with an Axial

RGT is apparently made by HSP so I'm intrigued but the only reviews I can find are largely sponsored that play like infomercials. As I said I'm into scale so I'd prefer something truck-like (SCX/TRX) but covid has sent prices locally/ebay thru the roof.

I was very sold on the Redcat Gen8 until I started to read about reliability issues which has pushed me back toward an Axial.

I think the Axial is near the front of the pack if you want options and scale accuracy.

Geburan posted:

Winter is coming and I don’t want to stand in the rain. Any good options for like 1:28 for zooming around the house with maybe FPV? Basically I’m looking for a car version of a TinyWhoop. I had a WL toys one that had proportional steering but the controller was tiny for adult hands. I see a Team Associated car that is similar. Neither has a swappable battery though. I want to charge a few lipos and bop around a bit. Am I missing an option?

They're a bit bigger, but Losi offers 1/14 and 1/18 buggies and trucks. Might have a look at them?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

antimatt posted:

I think the Axial is near the front of the pack if you want options and scale accuracy.

They're a bit bigger, but Losi offers 1/14 and 1/18 buggies and trucks. Might have a look at them?

I got my niece and nephew the Losi Micro-T's for Xmas two years ago and they're indestructible. They've abused the crap out of them inside and in their backyard and have not needed any repairs.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

McTinkerson posted:

I got my niece and nephew the Losi Micro-T's for Xmas two years ago and they're indestructible. They've abused the crap out of them inside and in their backyard and have not needed any repairs.

Yeah, I've seen one get creamed by a tumbling 1/8 ebuggy and the kid just drove away.

I think I've got my GT12 car ideas put together. I think I'm gonna go by the route of "buy once cry once" and get the new Awesomatix A12. Apparently they're bulletproof and easy to drive. Plus it appears someone's figured out rubber 1/12 tires which is nice because the idea of dealing with foam tires is not appealing.

I'm gonna run the Bittydesign LS3 "Lotus GT3" clone body. Anyone have ideas for a paint scheme? Current idea is going with the Repsol Honda scheme. Metallic dark blue, orange, red and white, with easy to cut lettering. Need something unique and easy to see against grey/black carpet. Another idea is mimicing the Castrol scheme from the Group C Jaguars...

I do wish someone made a 1/12 scale Jaguar XJR-9 body...

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I've never owned a fancy pants RC vehicle and I want to buy one, but I don't know where to start. The options are a bit overwhelming and there seems to be a lot of customization that's leaving me clueless.

I sometimes film myself doing bicycle stuff with a gopro mounted to the bike and a drone filming from above. Sometimes I'm too tired for all that or don't want to worry about what to do with with my equipment when I'm filming away from my car blah blah blah and I thought rc vehicles would provide fun footage.

I originally wanted a hovercraft because decades ago when I was little I thought they were the coolest thing in the world. I found this https://www.dinkyrc.com/collections/hovercrafts/products/racing-hovercraft?variant=28131067560016 but it's been sold out forever (and the site seems quasi-defunct) and I don't know if it's a good fit for me anyway. A lot of other hovercraft stuff seems to be people custom making nearly everything including the body. I'm also betting they're a bit fragile and in the long run I'd be happier with something with wheels.

So it's probably smarter to just list some stuff that feels like priorities to me and then figure out what matches my wants/needs.

• I want to be able to mount a gopro + a gps tracking beacon without the added weight making the vehicle roll or handle really poorly.

• I want to take it off roads. Away from cars and traffic and buildings. The more terrain types it can handle the better. Grass, gravel, sand, dirt, water, asphalt.

• It doesn't need to be bleeding-edge fast, but I don't want it to be boring to drive around either.

• The more rugged the better. Going airborn, hitting things I didn't see, and me being stupid are all things I'd like the vehicle to survive. Within reason of course.

• I'm open to a kit that I assemble, but I don't know much about mechanical or electronic components. The simpler the better, although I'm open to learning.

My budget is $1k (preferably less) for everything. The vehicle, controller, batteries, any tools I might need that I don't own, and any costs I'm ignorant of.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can someone who knows what they're looking at tell me if these are a terrible idea:

https://www.3dsets.com/product/model-3-landy-4x4-pickup/

I know a lot of it will come down to me as the printer/manufacturer, I can get some crucial parts printed in heat resistant material and I'll happily buy the electronics etc I need but is there anything obviously terrible about these designs?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Those are fun projects. Their performance is more like a bad rock crawler than a normal r/c car; ie, no matter how well printed your geartrain is it's not going to be as efficient, smooth, or durable as real molded delrin/etc gears.. The money you spend will not get equal performance or detail as a similarly priced, say, Tamiya kit, but you get to do more DIY.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

moctopus posted:

I've never owned a fancy pants RC vehicle and I want to buy one, but I don't know where to start. The options are a bit overwhelming and there seems to be a lot of customization that's leaving me clueless.

I sometimes film myself doing bicycle stuff with a gopro mounted to the bike and a drone filming from above. Sometimes I'm too tired for all that or don't want to worry about what to do with with my equipment when I'm filming away from my car blah blah blah and I thought rc vehicles would provide fun footage.

I originally wanted a hovercraft because decades ago when I was little I thought they were the coolest thing in the world. I found this https://www.dinkyrc.com/collections/hovercrafts/products/racing-hovercraft?variant=28131067560016 but it's been sold out forever (and the site seems quasi-defunct) and I don't know if it's a good fit for me anyway. A lot of other hovercraft stuff seems to be people custom making nearly everything including the body. I'm also betting they're a bit fragile and in the long run I'd be happier with something with wheels.

So it's probably smarter to just list some stuff that feels like priorities to me and then figure out what matches my wants/needs.

• I want to be able to mount a gopro + a gps tracking beacon without the added weight making the vehicle roll or handle really poorly.

• I want to take it off roads. Away from cars and traffic and buildings. The more terrain types it can handle the better. Grass, gravel, sand, dirt, water, asphalt.

• It doesn't need to be bleeding-edge fast, but I don't want it to be boring to drive around either.

• The more rugged the better. Going airborn, hitting things I didn't see, and me being stupid are all things I'd like the vehicle to survive. Within reason of course.

• I'm open to a kit that I assemble, but I don't know much about mechanical or electronic components. The simpler the better, although I'm open to learning.

My budget is $1k (preferably less) for everything. The vehicle, controller, batteries, any tools I might need that I don't own, and any costs I'm ignorant of.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/mojave/roller/exb

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Yeah, I was gonna say something similar. Go on Arrma's site and pick an option that matches your aesthetics and price range, get yourself a couple of 4S or 6S packs and a charger and have fun.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

antimatt posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say something similar. Go on Arrma's site and pick an option that matches your aesthetics and price range, get yourself a couple of 4S or 6S packs and a charger and have fun.

Thanks so much! This is very helpful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Those are fun projects. Their performance is more like a bad rock crawler than a normal r/c car; ie, no matter how well printed your geartrain is it's not going to be as efficient, smooth, or durable as real molded delrin/etc gears.. The money you spend will not get equal performance or detail as a similarly priced, say, Tamiya kit, but you get to do more DIY.

That's fine, I like the building as much as anything, plus slow rock crawler is ideal as my kids will probably play with it more than me.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Yea thirding this. If you want something robust, fast, and fun right out of the box Arrma is the way to go.

I’ve got the smaller Senton as well as the Notorious stunt truck, both are a ton of fun to run. Really wanted the Mojave but was sold out at the time.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's fine, I like the building as much as anything, plus slow rock crawler is ideal as my kids will probably play with it more than me.

Unless you're hell bent on 3d printing it this is firmly WPL/MN money which as the others said will hold up quite a bit better. I totally agree with the building being half the fun and these little crawlers have proven to be an excellent introduction to the hobby for me.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hey r/c guys, maybe you can help me out here.

I'm trying to source some springs for a 3d printing project I'm working on

The springs look like this

and have the following specs

.40" ID x .45" OD x .75"-1.25" L

Someone on another forum mentioned those look very similar to r/c car springs and they are right, however I'm having trouble finding specific specs on the r/c car springs.

Anyone have any idea whether there are any r/c car springs that are similar to these specs?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

mattfl posted:

The springs look like this

and have the following specs

.40" ID x .45" OD x .75"-1.25" L

Someone on another forum mentioned those look very similar to r/c car springs and they are right, however I'm having trouble finding specific specs on the r/c car springs.

Anyone have any idea whether there are any r/c car springs that are similar to these specs?

It'd have to be something small scale. I just checked the springs on my RC10 and they're about 0.750" OD. Anything 1/10 is going to have something similar in size. I don't know what size they are but you might check out the springs for the front/rear of a Losi Mini-T 2.0. Looking at them online they might be close to what you're looking for, but understand that I'm just offering an educated guess. I can't find measurements.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

mattfl posted:

Have you looked on McMaster-Carr? I didn't look up your exact specs but they've rarely let me down for other weird stuff.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Have you looked on McMaster-Carr? I didn't look up your exact specs but they've rarely let me down for other weird stuff.

So I've finally got some more info about these springs from the company that is selling them, though they only sell them in a kit which comes with a bunch of other hardware I don't need.

They are custom manufactured specifically for this 3d project and do not exist in this size outside of the kit they are sold in.

So, awesome.....he says if I want I can make my own by winding some piano wire. Thanks dude.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

mattfl posted:

So, awesome.....he says if I want I can make my own by winding some piano wire. Thanks dude.

You're already 3d printing so I think you're almost all the way there. Fab up a jig and buy a bunch of piano wire (cheap!) and make your own springs.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

antimatt posted:

You're already 3d printing so I think you're almost all the way there. Fab up a jig and buy a bunch of piano wire (cheap!) and make your own springs.

Honestly I just looked into it and, it's pretty straight forward. So ya, I'll probably just make my own springs. Just have to find a dowel that's the right diameter and go for it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

mattfl posted:

They are custom manufactured specifically for this 3d project and do not exist in this size outside of the kit they are sold in.

Every single time I've had to reverse engineer anything that's allegedly manufactured specifically for that and that alone, I've found either the exact part in a catalog somewhere or something so close as not to matter.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cakesmith handyman posted:

Every single time I've had to reverse engineer anything that's allegedly manufactured specifically for that and that alone, I've found either the exact part in a catalog somewhere or something so close as not to matter.
Seriously, I can’t count how many times I’ve wanted to buy some parts from some sort of custom/proprietary kit and found the parts on Amazon, AliBaba, or McMaster-Carr.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mattfl posted:

Honestly I just looked into it and, it's pretty straight forward. So ya, I'll probably just make my own springs. Just have to find a dowel that's the right diameter and go for it.
Can you not print it? Or do you need that spring to make the printer functional in the first place?

As others said, chances are mcmaster has something close enough to what you need.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Can you not print it? Or do you need that spring to make the printer functional in the first place?

As others said, chances are mcmaster has something close enough to what you need.

I'm printing/building this

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1911808

and need the springs for the valve springs

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

mattfl posted:

I'm printing/building this

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1911808

and need the springs for the valve springs

Nice!

I’m sure you can find something close enough... I have a similar (but nowhere near as cool) model and the valve springs didn’t have to be within a tight tolerance. Yours looks way better spec’d but I’m certain you can find something. Good luck!

I want to see it running when complete!

Also, if you do make them out of piano wire, that would be pretty metal

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Putting some more electrons through the SCX10iii. This thing is really growing on me. I added my head and tail lights I picked up from PowershiftRC. I wish my rock lights were a similar temperature but what can you do?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Heading into a couple of vacation days next week, and have myself a nice little pile of parts ready for a Tamiya TT-02 build. My helper is *very* excited to bite the antenna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That Mustang looks so nice. Tamiya makes one in 1:24 that I really want to get. I've got a TT02 but it's set for more rally stuff. I should get another for pure on-road stuff. I'd have a hard choice between the Mustang or some DTM body.