Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Is it OK to talk mini-z in this thread, or do you consider them just toys?

My fully upgraded (except wheelbearings) MR01

With body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Dug out my 20 year old Mini-Z MR01 and gave it a good cleaning and tune-up. Originally a Dodge Viper kit, it was upgraded with a ton of original Kyosho performance parts and a Calsonic Skyline body and wheels. It still has tons of speed and power, but needs new tires as the old ones are dry rotted after 20 years in a box. Picked up new rechargeable batteries from IKEA and ordered a bearing kit, since it was pretty much the only significant upgrade it didn't have.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I posted about this car on page 2 of this thread over 12 years ago!

evobatman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 28, 2021

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I won a big lot of MR01 spare parts and managed to build two complete running chassis from them to add to my old Viper/Skyline build

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
After refurbing my over 20 years old MR-01 Mini-Zs and watching a lot of Tomley RC on YouTube, I just had to scratch the itch for something bigger, faster and outdoor.

I picked up this WLToys 144001 with a bunch of metal upgrades and brushless conversion for $70. Even out of the box, worn, dirty and driven hard it was scary fast!

I've cleaned up the cable management, removed a lot of dirt and cleaned and adjusted the dampers, and it drives really well, if a little squirrely, I still haven't tightened and adjusted the alignment.

The fact that you can buy something this fast for this cheap blows my mind.

I lost a wheel nut on my last drive, so I have to stop at the hobby store for new nuts, damper oil and a bigger battery before continuing to bash it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Last fall I bought a battle-scarred and worn but upgraded WLToys 144001. I've been having fun with it since then, but been limited by the winter conditions, and something has broken on it pretty much every time I've taken it out for a spin.

As I got tired of stuff breaking, fixing the POs mods, and the whole thing getting more and more worn and rickety, I figured I would buy a brand new 144001 since they are dirt cheap and just move the upgraded motor over.

Doing so, I quickly found that stuff on the brand new car broke even more, as the stock parts just couldn't take the torque from the little 2845 4400KV motor and a 3S 30C battery. Any single full throttle pull where the tires got bite would bend the driveshafts or even break the wheel uprights!

I went on AliExpress and bought all the metal upgrades I could find for a reasonable cost, and have spent the last three days wrenching on this thing. As it's all made of the finest aliexpressium, I'm pretty sure I have stripped and bent every screw and thread at least twice, breathed in all the lead paint in the world and loctited everything to hell and back (not smart)

Here it is after three days and most of my patience gone:

Some lessons learned if you want to do the same:
-DON'T replace the differential casings with metal ones like I did. 90% of the bullshit I had to deal with was because of them. The new ones fit badly, and they don't even have the screw holes for swaybars or bumper upgrades. They will be gone on my next iteration of this car.
-Grease your diffs!
-Take whatever time and do whatever is necessary to make sure that your spur gear and motor lash is good! I had it too tight, and burned away half of my crown gear trying to make it work. My home office is covered in metal shavings now
-Do not loctite until you are certain you won't be going back!
-I kept the suspension stock so that it would break in case of accidents

Everything hurts and I still have to do some alignment and I know I eventually have to replace the spur gear, but for now it rolls under its own power and I just had to button it up to see how it would look.