Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Check this out. Rebuilding my almost 20 year old RC10...

Getting there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

You Am I posted:

Cool old beast there dude. How's the parts availability on it like?

Surprisingly good. Tower caries all sorts of parts like suspension arms, bearing carriers, castor blocks, bodys, transmission case and gears, and etc. Some parts like shock towers or the rear bulkhead aren't available though.

Luckily I only had to outright replace small parts like the ball cups, bearings, and the battery cup.

Did a bit more work tonight:

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Finished up my rc10. I need a slower motor for this thing. With this 17t motor its going over 30mph. I am paranoid I am going to break this thing if I blink and can't have any fun with it, lol.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Well back in the day the reason motors weren't very low turn is because batteries sucked. Also, that isn't the original original rc10 with a 6 gear tranny, it is a little newer and has the 3 gear stealth tranny. Pretty much the same one they use today.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's my Honcho. I had a blast with it over the winter. A bunch of racing buddies and I got into crawlers over the off season. One of them has like 40 acres of old farm land. We were over there every week beating the crap out of our trucks.

I'm not big on all the little scale details, cause like I said we beat the living poo poo out of our trucks. It has full steel mip/robinson drivetrain, 32p gears, powered by a 19t or 20t (I forget) 550 airplane motor on 3s with a brxl esc inside a waterproof box. Also has the hand bros chassis mounted steering, and r2j customs steel 4link truss in the rear.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Laserface posted:

Soooo I recently accidentally reversed the wiring from my battery to ESC (stupid non-keyed bullet plug lipo packs). the battery and ESC are fine however I did manage to set my capacitor board on fire and consequently destroy it.

Is a capacitor necessary on the ESC? I cant actually drive the car on the ground with load on it as its not finished but the ESC is functioning and quite smoothly at that. im told it smooths out voltage but not noticing any difference to be honest.

It isn't completely necessary, but I would put one on there just in case. It really does help keep the esc cool and also give you a bit more punch. If you don't wanna buy an overpriced premade one just get a couple capacitors of the same rating and solder them to the esc battery leads. Make sure the caps you get are labeled as "Low ESR".

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

powderific posted:

I'm in the midst of building my SCX10 and it's really fun but there are some annoying inconsistencies. It seems that it didn't come with enough of the little things that go on the ends of the control arms, and has a couple extra weird ones that don't appear anywhere else in the kit instructions. So now I need to order another parts tree to get enough parts to finish the kit. There are also a few steps that need updating as the kit has apparently changed.

It's pretty cool otherwise though.

Are you talking about the short ball ends? The instructions start off telling you to get them from the shock parts tree, but there are more on some other tree. I forget which one, but they are in there.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's a few pics from a couple weeks ago I finally got around to uploading.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

TremorX posted:

Those are awesome shots! Did you take them?

Yup.

Its a parking lot track :)

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's some pics I took of our first off road race we finally had on Labor Day. We have been working on this off and on for almost a year now. Between freezing temps, boiling temps, rain, and humidity we finally got it mostly done. Enough to hold a decent race on it anyways. Its still pretty rough, so it was basically 8th scale and short course only for now.

http://imgur.com/a/YYW5Y

Anyone have any tire tips for a hard packed, dusty track?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

mehall posted:

there was a link ages ago of someone testing and comparing the effects of different angles or wings and stuff on f1 rc, thats the link I was looking for rather than just straight comparison for different wongs themselves.

IIRC it was a scan of a japanese RC mag.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Got some new tires on my Honcho. Been rainy lately so i'm getting ready for some MUD!

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Just finished my wraith last night.

Just in time for the weekly trail run!

I love this thing. I should have gotten one a long time ago. Stock it was doing amazing, even on a dinky integy 45t motor I had laying around. I am liking 45t motors. I was worried because my larger 4000mah 3s packs don't fit in the wraith battery tray because it is sized for standard hardcase packs, but I only used 1 and a half of my small 2200mah packs and we covered at least 2 miles, with a lot of stopping and fooling around in particularly fun spots.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Evil_Ash posted:

Time to do the "hood mod" and run your battery upfront. I run 3S up there no problem.

Yup. That is coming up next :)

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's my wraith:

Rest of the pics from that day: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203423498727006.1073741837.1198555411&type=1&l=b987c4380f

We've been having pretty huge groups on trail runs. Its pretty awesome. Hard to get pics of everyone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Zapping a battery like that is only a short term thing, it damages it in the long run. I would try cycling the battery several times. If its just old and has been sitting a long time it may come back. Maybe grab a cheap RC smart charger so you can see how many mah you are putting into it when you charge, and how many come out on the discharge. Keep cycling it until the capacity doesn't go up any more.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33281__IMAX_B6_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_COPY_USA_Warehouse_.html