Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
a friend got me hooked on RC cars, so i stormed out and bought a Tamiya super fighter G.

then i bought a Tamiya gravel hound.

and a TT-01E, so i've pretty much got every base covered now.

although i wanna sell my gravel hound and super fighter so i can get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvcxBz1bOuI&feature=related beast of a brushless truggy.

This hobby is a giant moneypit, but hot drat it sure is fun geeking out at some field or parking lot and watching one's car going faster than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

kuffs posted:

Who is Haiboxing? Please don't waste your money on Chinese knockoffs. Buy the real deal. You'll save money on spare parts and the build quality will be a lot better.

If you want a brushless truggy, a Traxxas E-Revo Brushless Edition is a great choice. They're rock solid, everyone on the planet carries parts for them, and they're stupid fast.

isnt every car made in china these days? either way, nearly every RC store here in Denmark carries Haiboxing products, so aftermarket support is not an issue, and parts are also pretty cheap.

that said, the traxxas is goddamn sexy, but so expensive :( the Stealth X09 is 280 bucks while the traxxas 750 bucks. that's quite the difference.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
in that case, it's on my list of stuff to gawk at at the store. question is, should i save up for the 1/16 or the 1/10 model. (much money vs silly amount of money)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
goddamn, Traxxas products in general are about 200 USD cheaper in the US than here.

drat you and your crap economy!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Hypnolobster posted:

Surely if there's a $200 difference you could get somebody to buy you one and ship it over taxed as a gift*

*not that I would ever condone that

this would only work if someone lived near a cheap RC store (the price i got is from towerhobbies) and was willing to send it without packaging. even if caught in customs, the VAT and fees would still be cheaper than buying locally.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Well now, i've gone and ordered myself some FUTURE BATTERIES (LiPO) for my current cars, some TRX connectors for the same and a lipo buzzer so i dont kill my batteries by draining them while dicking around on the tarmac.

at least the batteries where cheap, 27 dollars from hobbyking!

EDIT:

received my batteries today, after soldering on Traxxas connectors, it appears that they work just splendidly in my otherwise unimpressive TT-01E, gotta get me a brushless kit for it. that'd really make it shine.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 9, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Weissbier posted:

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Traxxas brushless E-revo - What a blast!

My daughter and I went to a nearby elementary playground where they were getting ready to do some construction. There was a 7' tall mound of small pebbles we repeatedly jumped the E-revo from resulting in a broken battery tray lid. Going to get some ca glue today and hope I can mend it well enough before the new lid comes in.

*edit* glue didn't hold. It's out of commission until the new parts arrive.

is that the 1:8 E-revo or is is the VXL 1:16?

either way, do give a bigger trip report, me and a buddy want to pick one up each next month, although just the 1:16 version :)

for repairing parts until replacements can be procured, look into getting some https://www.sugru.com that stuff rules (if you dont mess about with it while it cures)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
yay, managed to somehow get a second receiver for my graupner 2.4ghz controller, for some reason Graupner thought it wise to make tons of kits but not sell any spare receivers. the fools!

now, a question. I have a Graupner DS 8077 Digital servo, but it seems to have the jitters when i use it, even when just connected to a servotester. it can do turns from side to side just fine, but when i try to do gradual control, it's got issues with staying put. any suggestions? i've been to the shop and got a new one in exchange, but it has the same issue.

edit: this is the servo: http://www.f1hobbies.com/shop.php?id=868&level= not the most expensive, but a cheap digital.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

InitialDave posted:

I got an email advertising these the other day. Not sure what the quality's like, but they seem quite cute:

Looks like a Losi micro rock Crawler ripoff.

i'd just like to add, that Ebay's poison to my wallet, i just ordered a bunch of aluminium stuff for my DT-02. As it is already, with full ball bearings, it can pull wheelies!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

Just be careful what brand you get off eBay, I don't know what GPM or Integy is like these days, but they had pretty terrible reputations for a long time. No-name brands out of Asia can be even less well regarded.

it's from a company called 3racing. and the GPM parts have increased considerably in quality, at least the shaft on my TT-01E fit perfectly.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
need tips on snowproofing various electronics! it's great fun to thrash my DT-02 in the snow, but it's not so fun when the ESC or receiver cuts off due to something as silly as a short circuit and has to dry before they will work again.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oooh, that's tempting.

I need to talk to my friend at work tomorrow and see if he's going to jump back in and if so, what class, before I start making any actual purchases.

Just to add some more fun to the discussion, I dug through the stash at my mom's place and found about half of the R/C gear - my dad's original RC10 CE, his 3PG radio, my 2PBKA radio, two complete RC12is (and parts to build at least four more), a complete RC12L, a mostly-complete RC12LW, two Losi XX buggies, a box full of 1/12 wheels and tires, and a box full of old-rear end NiCds in the 1200-1700 range.

buy new batteries, and fix up everything else. nothing's more fun than restoring old stuff.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
what's the consensus on the HPI E-Firestorm flux? (http://modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=29950)

i've been considering this instead of the E-revo VXL, and it's currently winning.

EDIT: Also, how is the HPI blitz for actual racing? there's an attempt at getting a short course league started around here, and the blitz hits the sweet spot with regards to price/performance for me.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 22, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

That certainly is something! i hope its out before May rolls around, any hints on price?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

Don't know the price, but if it's in line with the Baja SS and Savage SS (and I think it will be), it'll be about the same price as the RTR version. It should be out by May.

Looking forward to it, glad i posted before buying, otherwise i'd probably have been mighty sad that i missed the chance to get an awesome piece of kit instead of a nice RTR, i already have a 15.5T brushless, ESC and a nice receiver, so all i'd need is the Servo!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
received my LRP 15.5T Eraser brushless motor and their A.I superduper ESC thingy, this thing rocks! and it being 100% waterproof certainly does help in the middle of all this drat snow.

EDIT: I now have skidmarks on the dining room table. oops.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 23, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
having ignored the advice given here, regarding short course trucks, i went out and bought an SC10, because drat that thing is cheap.

Which upgrades are recommended while keeping it at least somewhat stock?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i'd actually want it for racing, although i do have to buy another just for bashing later on and breakproof that one.

i've mounted an LRP brushless on it, although that's had it's issues to say the least. The factory mounted tamiya plug... melted on me and the motor wasnt even running, i simply turned it on. so i quickly switched over to a connected sorta plug instead, which appears to work just fine.

the ESC is lrp's A.I reverse thingy, which kinda sucks because you cannot manually adjust it at all, which is what i believe led to the plug melting thing, the brushless i have is 15.5T, so that should be plenty of power for me to get my bearings with the SC10.

the stock motor is an awesome beast though, even though it's brushed and horrible maintenance wise.

edit: whats the stock speed on the SC10 anyway

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 2, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i want tires like that on the Sc10, they are nice!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
that LRP ESC i talked about that melted tamiya plugs? i soldered really nice bullet gold connectors on it, ran my car a bit, turned it off and left it.

a few hours later i went to run it again to show it off to a friend, but all the ESC did was emit a high pitched squeal, then promptly melt so fast and so hot the soldering on the wires melted! take notice that this happened without the motor running at all, it simply just melted because i dared to turn it on!

no damage to the car, so i'm just gonna slap in the stock engine and have fun with that.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

You Am I posted:

Tamiya plugs usually melt under race conditions, due to the heat build up from high resistance they have. Whereas Deans plugs and Corolly plugs are low resistance, and don't have the heat build up

yeah, i was aware of that, but i sure as hell didnt expect the plug to melt just by turning the ESC on

edit: complimentary top of page picture

complimentary picture will be followed by horrible pictures of a burnt ESC.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 3, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
oh hey, i need this:

Click here for the full 750x498 image.

and this!

Click here for the full 750x498 image.

bye money!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i, too, might be interested in anything short course truck related you might have for sale, as i live in denmark, shipping aint too bad!

edit: i believe in pictures, here is one of a body painted by Steve Zielke, for sale in denmark!

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 9, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Idiot race posted:

Heres a stupid question, i'm looking for a battery charger for 7.2V NimH batteries. Years ago I just had a crappy wall charger which I used to leave on all night that probably damaged the battery anyway.

Is something like this ok?
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=31039

I have the same model, but with lipo/life support as well, i'd recommend you get one that does that from the get go, as you'll want to use li-po or lifepo later on anyway

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Li-po batteries really aren't that hard to work with! i figured it out, it means everyone should be able to.

for cars, make sure you get lipo batts that are actually shaped like the ordinary nimh stickpacks, because the ones hobbyking sell are often oddly shaped and don't fit in battery holders 1:10 cars come with. if you run 1:8, go hog wild.

basic batteries are 2S25C, which means it's 2 cells and can discharge 25 times it's rated MaH (a 5000 MaH can therefore discharge 125A) most ESCs work excellently with this and should have no issues, particularly if they have a lipo setting.

after this, you can explore 3S batteries, which provide you with 11.1v and similar discharge, this is mostly for 1:8 cars and everything traxxas sells with their VXL system.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
One day i will own a 1:5 or similar gasoline RC car, until then, i will just continue to gently caress about with tiny 1:10 short course trucks

EDIT: since i believe in top of the page being more than two lines of text, i'm just gonna say that i bought an LRP A.I REVERSE PRO ESC today, and it works great, unlike that other ESC on the last page, which burned to death.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 11, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
stuffed the new ESC and my old 15.5T brushless motor into my SC10, it works great! although it's not as zippy as my Tamiya DT-02 with the old 17T brushed engine from the SC10, but i suspect that's due to the gearing.

alas, i have no more money this month for toys, so i'll have to order all the neat stuff i want from integy and others later.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
well now, i've got some sort of Thunder Tiger Nitro car incoming, although i havent the faintest idea which model it is!

any links to particularly informative resources regarding care and feeding of nitro powered RC cars?

it's this particular car, i got it for 80 bucks, so i don't really care that i dont actually know what it is, but i am told it runs nicely.

Click here for the full 930x698 image.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Talked to an acquintance, he told me had an old car in his basement, gave me this:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

that's an Ansmann Racing Virus with a .21cc engine, it hasnt run for a few years, so i am currently checking it over. from what i can see, the rear shocks need to be rebuilt/replaced, whatever's cheaper, and then the fuel tank needs to be cleaned and i need an airfilter.

still, it's cheap! because free is cheap.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

drat, people are just throwing cars at you :)

Don't forget you'll need to rebuild the engine most likely, but since parts will probably be very hard to find you may as well find a easy to run and cheap .21 engine that is well-supported, like a Reedy, HPI, or something else.

the engine is still for sale at various stores, so parts shouldnt be an issue, when i pull the starter, it goes "POP" so i take that as a good sign, at least it is on a scooter. the car itself is only 2 years old, as it was released in 2008.

one of the rear shocks is completely ruined, as the bottom seal is gone, but it appears to be non rebuildable, but seeing that a new set only costs 14 pounds, it's not an issue either.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

OK so compression seems to still be in the engine, but did the guy run the engine dry and put in after-run oil after he last ran it? If not it may be full of rust and/or sludge.

With the shock, you can save quite a bit and just rebuild it with the right o-ring and the correct parts tree (to get the bottom seal).

Looks like a pretty good score :)

yeah, i have absolutely no idea on that point, but the outside of the engine is rust free, although various screws and such were quite rusty. a vigorious scrubbing with a toothbrush and WD40 has rectified this particular problem.

i'll be having a friend over to show me the ropes regarding nitro cars, but i do have to ask, is a starter box REQUIRED or is it just a very nice addition?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Received this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10608&aff=205008 today, it's definitely not something i'd ever put on a car that costs more than 250 bucks, but for stuff like my DT-02 super fighter G it's just great!

it's made from nice plastics, is mated to it's receiver from the factory and it even has a port for plugging it into your computer for simulator use.

the problems begin when you use it, as it appears to have no failsafe, the Tx must be turned on before turning on the Rx, otherwise it just speeds on out there. i'm kinda spoiled by my nice graupner that prevents my car from destroying itself.

but hey, it's 25 dollars, extra Rx are 6 dollars or so and S&H is equally low, they even sent it wrapped in gift paper wishing me a happy birthday, oh you customs avoiding whippersnappers, you!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Pulled the glow plug from the engine today, it was nice and no rust, and the cylinder moved up and down freely. i should also receive parts to rebuild the rear dampers and a fuel filter, because i am not entirely sure that i cleaned the gas tank out properly (it was filled with a brown and green sludge, any idea what this could be?) the carburator moves freely and has no rust, so as it is, all i have to do is spend around a 100 bucks on it.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

Sounds good, the slime in the tank is just old fuel. Dump it out and rinse out the tank with automotive brake cleaner (it's the same as motor spray & RC car cleaner) and some fresh nitro fuel. New fuel lines are a good thing since the old ones will have gunky fuel in them as well.

Nitro fuel absorbs moisture in the air, which is why I was saying the insides of the engine may be bad, the moisture in unburnt fuel will cause rust, etc.

Make sure to rinse out the air filter with fresh fuel (from the inside out) and put in a few drops of air filter oil.

well there's a reason i could see into the carb, there was no airfilter, luckily i should receive one before this weekend where the car is going to be run, under the careful guidance from a friend with nitro experience :) but i do have After run oil and Air filter oil plus 4 liters of nitro in stock. and an engine stopper, although i have no idea where that thing has to be stuck in to stop it.

also got new fuel lines and a fuel filter incoming, the fuel lines are green, so's the air filter, to match the car :coal:

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 17, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
okay, whoever said that the old THunder TIger car i was about to receive was an EB4 is wrong :D it's a 10+ year old rally car. 10/1 2WD with an engine from a plane of some sort. spent an hour at the RC store having him checking it over and oiling various stuff. i'll have it run and tuned this weekend, it looks to be hella fun, mostly because it is so old but still functional. the engine is a thunder tiger gp-15bx(p) if that tells anyone anything.

edit 1:

Okay, had the engine on this beast running today, albeit only for about 20 seconds until it stalled on me. this is because i have no bleeding idea what i am doing with regards to the engien settings, but at least i think i applied the after run oil properly. can't wait till saturday!

edit 2:

okay, i've noticed i used the word okay at the beginning of every paragraph in this post, is that okay?

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 18, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

kuffs posted:

Frobbe, see if you can dig up the default needle settings for that engine. Thunder Tiger may have been kind enough to post a manual for it. Also, the glow plug is probably shot.

As luck would have it, i received the original manual and even the original box with the car, how that thing's survived fourteen years in the hands of various 15 year old kids i have no idea. it's got the default settings and all the part numbers, even though they are kinda useless (parts numbers) as i can't even find any other mentions of this car on the internet, although that might just be me failing at using google properly.

in other news, i traded my TT-01E for a Walkera Dragonfly 60B (apparently the B stands for brushless?)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
okay, i think i just put that old car out of it's misery. i put the needle at the factory settings, got it going and then it just revved out of control. i should've read up on how to stop it (blocked the exhaust and got it to stop that way) i think the piston's busted or someting similar, at least it wont crank. it may have run too lean.

but drat it sounded awesome for the one whole minute it did run

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
what's a CP?

yeah, this is my first helicopter, so i am going to be very, very careful with it. the good news are that i have one extra battery for it along with the one the seller is giving me, so that's cool.

any recommended resources on this helicopter?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

IsaacNewton posted:

BTW it's an hard heli to learn on, I'd suggest you pick a flite MSR to get the basics down and resell it when you get bored with it. the mSR is a fixed pitch heli and your LHS should have plenty of spare part for them.

Will do as soon as i have money. the local hobby store sells them for around 89 euros, which i believe is quite cheap!

kuffs posted:

It's probably flooded. Disconnect the fuel line and the backpressure line on the muffler. Then pull the glowplug and crank it while holding it upside down.

Oh, gonna try that saturday then! when i am on an old carpark nobody cares that the asphalt gets dirty as gently caress on.

and just because it's been nagging me, you arent supposed to add anything to the nitro fuel you buy from the stores, right? i have 4 liters of 25% nitro that cost me around 20 dollars a liter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

kuffs posted:

Nope, rc car fuel comes with oil mixed in already.

Oh, okay, that's one worry off my list. Nitro cars are finicky, noisy, bitches.

I've now established that the engine still works and turns over as it should, after emptying it of all vital fluids. after that i put a few drops of after run oil into it and cranked it a few times. hopefully this will not be it's last oils :V