Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Dark Solux posted:

I recently pulled out my rc10gt, and looks like it needs some restoration. All 4 shocks are bad (possibly springs too), and I'm willing to bet the motor is toast, it's been sitting for at least a year, maybe two. Can these motors be resleeved? I'm not sure what size it has, but drat was that thing fun to romp around with, though everytime I brought it out I broke something.

Associated sells a rebuild kit for their shocks http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2593&P=ML I had an rc10gt back in the day and I'm pretty sure that's the rebuild kit for that iteration of the shock design.

Also, as TFR will tell you, springs don't wear out from being stored compressed.

Yeah, new pistons and sleeves are pretty cheap. Probably shouldn't be any more than like $40. But it will vary depending on what kind of engine.

edit:broken url

kuffs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Simkin posted:

Probably a :downs: question, but are there separate classes for 2WD/4WD, or are they all 2WD (tarmac racing, not offroad)?

When I was doing R/C 10 years ago, there were 3 divisions: FWD, RWD, and 4WD. Now, it seems that 4WD is all that anyone does anymore. (At least as far as touring cars go)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Neocon 4Ever posted:

From all the interest in the pics thread, figured I'd start a thread for talking about R/C cars. I know sweet gently caress all about them, but I can definitely ask a question:

for around 200-300 dollars, can I reasonably get into the hobby? Would I just be buying an all-in-one kit from somewhere like Hobbytown USA at that price? What kind of performance can I expect for that? And what kind of recommendations can someone give? I'd love to have something 1/10 scale, with a nice normal car body.

Problem is I paint like a palsy victim, so it'd have to be a shell that can just drop on.

A lot of local clubs race spec cars. I am just getting started back up in the hobby, so I don't know of a whole lot. But I do know that the slash spec stuff is supposed to be really popular these days
http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/5805/trx_5805.htm

They're like $200. So after a battery pack or two and a charger, you'll be hitting $300.

Bonus: Prepainted bodies.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Parabellum posted:

Great fun, but it is pretty messy and the neighbours dont appreciate 2stroke oil all over the road so its been gathering dust lately..

If you're leaving noticeable oil slicks anywhere other than your starting area, you are probably running too rich.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Parabellum posted:

Kuffs, whats the procedure on running in new motors? The .12 in mine would have any more than an hour or two on it and I haven't touched the original kit settings. I didnt want to lean it out too early but it is pretty noticeable to see where Ive been.

You should check the manual for details. I'm sure your car is plenty broken-in at this point, but I can't be sure about needle adjustments for your engine.

This video will probably help if you can't find your manual. (it's actually helpful just to see and hear what a properly tuned engine is like)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

kimbo305 posted:

How do the suspensions and setups on these things compare to cars? That one open wheel car above seems to have some serious toe-out in the front.

I took some photos to give you an idea of the adjustability on these cars. Heck this is an 8 year old, kind of entry-level car. So I'm sure the newer models are nicer.

Whole car

This will give you a frame of reference for the next shots. My style decisions make this a bit easier as most of what you'll be interested in is highlighted in purple.

Front suspension

As you can see, we have oil-dampened coilover shocks with adjustable preload. I have a whole set of different springs for the shocks. And as far as oil goes, I'm just rocking 30wt for right now. You can see my green (medium) swaybar snaking in there. You can't tell from this shot, but there are a few different mounting points for the shocks. I don't know quite enough about suspension tuning to know what advantages that gives you.

Front linkage

You can see the adjustable-length upper links (camber) as well as the adjustable steering rods (toe). We get a better look at the swaybar linkage in this shot

Rear suspension

Once again, oil-damped coilovers. If you squint, you can see the different shock and upper-link mounting positions that I was talking earlier. That bit of electronics is the on-board temp gauge (I didn't have anywhere else to put it, yay spare lexan!).

Rear linkage

Once again, the upper link is adjustable for camber. You get a shot of the swaybar linkage too. Rear toe is adjustable with a different set of a-arm hinges (if I remember right).

Body on

Black marks are from rolling it on the asphalt. The old suspension system was riding way too high and make it really easy to roll without trying :(

My tiny rally car :3:

It looks a little rough from being driven hard, but this is my first 'real' body I've ever painted and decaled. It's not all that hard to get a body that looks good, it just takes a bit of time and patience.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Sloppy posted:

Great thread timing, my kids and I have been watching a few of these big RC cars in the park and I've been feeling that little itch to pick one up.

I'd assume the electric are much quieter than the gas? I kinda like the horrible shrieking the little gas engines make, but I imagine the neighbors wouldn't.

Also, how water-resistant are these? I'd love to throw one around in the mud. When I was a kid I had one of those cheap Radio Shack RC trucks, and we caulked up every orifice and took it to a shallow stream and had a lot of fun.

A lot of Traxxas' offerings are waterproof http://www.traxxas.com/

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't been in for a long time but don't a lot of receivers include this type of functionality?

Also, when I was last in R/C, the radios that let you choose a channel with a dial were just coming out. I looked a few months ago when I had a kick to get back in and found out the new hotness is radios that don't even need you to set channels. :aaafap:

I just bought a Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz and it is everything I would have dreamed of back in the day.
  • No crystals - transmitter and receiver are bound together, you will never interfere with anyone.
  • Built-in failsafe - No more high-speed collisions from receiver battery failure. Note to some of the new guys: failsafes are generally for nitro cars, they return the throttle to neutral / full brake in the event of radio or battery failure. (Otherwise the servo will just sit where it was left, which is usually full-throttle)
  • More adjustments than I know what to do with - I began RC with just a 2-channel AM radio with adjustable trim, now I have endpoint adjustment, dual rate, exponential rates and so much more.
  • 3 channel - now I can finally toy with mounting a remote-triggered accessory on one of my cars
  • Tiny antenna - I won't be bending, breaking, or poking anyone with my antenna
  • 10 model memory - I can legitimately use one transmitter for several cars.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hell, back in the day you could have a good chunk of that...my dad was rocking a Futaba 3PG for years. That thing was absolutely goddamn ridiculous, and wasn't helped by the fact that it went through batteries like a whore goes through coke.

I started on a 2PBKA and picked up a 2PEKA after getting into touring cars. I love Futaba radios.

Edit: Goddamnit. Now I'm looking for local tracks again.

Well, perhaps I should have clarified. I was 14 when I got my first car, so my 2PBK is what I stuck with in lieu of saving up $300 for a serious radio that I wouldn't really have known how to use.

And now I have the benefit of an actual job and ebay. Picked up my 3PM in great condition for $120 :c00lbert:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

cr0y posted:

Are offroad capable vehicles generally more expensive? I would love to get a nice 4wd setup that could muck around in fields and such as well as play on blacktop. Can anyone make some recommendations for good and reasonably prices starter cars?

To the contrary, off-road is kind of the default with on-road being a bit more expensive.

If you're starting out, Traxxas has some of the best RTRs around. Pretty much all the hobby stores that do RC have Traxxas parts.

I'm also a big fan of Team Associated. I ran an rc10gt back in the day and pretty much only broke spur gears from driving around in fine gravel. I did melt a diff from over-tightening the slipper, and I did break a body mount when it took off down a 30ft rocky embankment.

I can't go without mentioning Tamiya, Kyosho, Losi, and HPI

Anyway, find yourself an offroad ride that you like and buy a set of street tires for it. You obviously won't have the street performance of a real touring car, but you'll still have fun and won't ruin your knobby tires.

Look at those guys and come back and tell us what you like, and we can probably help a bit.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

cr0y posted:

What am I looking at spending to get up and running with a decent off road setup?

You need a battery and charger for pretty much all electric RTRs. So figure about $100 + price of the car.

I recommended a Traxxas Slash earlier in the thread. Tower has a combo with everything you need for $271.98. I don't own one myself, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Many clubs run spec races for them, so you won't even need additional gear to be competitive (if that ends up being an interest). They are only 2wd though.

Comparatively, Traxxas 4wd setups are pushing more into the $400 to $500 range.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Xinlum posted:

How complicated are these things. Like, what does a standard controller for one of these badboys look like?

Bare-bones basic radio http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj13.html

Base functionality is just steering and throttle. You'll have the steering wheel and the throttle trigger. There will be two dials for adjusting the trim (center) of both channels. And there will be a pair of switches for reversing the direction of the channels.

Full-blown computer radio http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk4900.html

Way more features than can be listed here.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Sloppy posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, where can you get these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqUllDUsc4&NR=1

Yeah, I was on the fence about crawling until this. I'm searching for information right now.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Holy poo poo it's custom http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11849

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

cr0y posted:

hmmm, any idea what i would be looking at for an out of the box ready 4wd setup?

Come on dude, did you even read the end of my post?

$400-500

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1404**

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1028**

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Those are all fine suggestions. I didn't feel like hunting down more cars for him when I already gave him half a dozen manufacturers to look at.

Also, goddamn the TA-02 is still around. That was pretty much the ubiquitous 4wd chassis for anything Tamiya made that wasn't a pro-level touring car. Probably still is.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Argh they're loving 4wd that is so goddamn cool. And they have an upgraded kit version!

Does anyone else dig the angle that some manufacturers are taking to bring them back into scale replicas? I love the look of the HPI club racers. And I think all the short course trucks are loving awesome, especially the SC8. God I want an SC8 bad, it will be over when they release a kit version and I won't have to buy their stock radio.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I really wish that the rally class had taken off.

I remember reading an article in RCCA where they took a few 2wd buggies and turned them into rally cars. They used stiffer springs and fuel tubing on the shock shafts to limit suspension travel. Then they installed a front bumper from a touring car to get more appropriate body mounts. I forgot where they got rims and tires from. And then they capped it all off with an appropriate touring car body. This would be even easier now that a few 4wd buggies share so many parts with their touring car brethren.

Shortly after this, HPI released an RS4 Rally with a lexan underbody to keep out dirt.

They would pretty much require a special track though. You would need softer jumps because of the reduced suspension travel. And you'd probably want to put a couple different track surfaces in the course.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

Oh gently caress me that is tempting.
Nobody around here races them, though I could run at the local track, I'd just have to take the jumps carefully.

Well, they don't make them anymore, so you don't have to worry so much. You could still make your own, or dig up a tc3 kit.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

stizu posted:

What happened to that fat kid who was unbeatable back in the nineties. He drove for associated, I think. I was so jealous of him, back in the day. Brian something?

Brian Kinwald, and I think he drove for Trinity and Losi.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

antimatt posted:

That kid was (still is?) a total cocksucker. Rude and very unfriendly. Almost as bad as Dustin Diamond.

That's okay, Masami Hirosaka was a better driver anyway. I looked him up the other day on wikipedia and he's loving unstoppable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masami_Hirosaka

Arden posted:

Yeah because of this thread, I have an irrational desire for Tamiya's RC 1/14 King Hauler. My favorite part of RC cars was always building them and this is the ultimate expression of that. My fiance thinks that I am nuts for wanting to drop close to $1k on a RC tractor trailer rig. Part of me thinks she is right!

Those things are cool as hell, I just like going fast. I remember the kickass scale models that someplace like 'Davidson'? I think? made. They were 1/14th with metal chassis and body. There was some dump truck that had working hydraulics and could easily tow a dude around in a wagon.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Did any of you guys ever play that RC car racing sim for the Playstation 1? I've been trying to remember the name.

There was a Losi-branded one that was more of a plain arcade racer.

And then there was one that was still arcade-like, but the tracks were actually paths through houses and lawns. The tracks always featured different driving surfaces with realistic effects. Switching from tile to asphalt in the middle of the track was awesome. (I can't remember the name, sorry)

kuffs fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 29, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
It's not RC Revenge, but the game I'm talking about (Re-volt) is mentioned in that link. It was kind of tough to play, but I had a lot of fun. It was also released on PC as well.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

SGT. Squeaks posted:

And this is my new 'main' car. I picked this up two weeks ago. It's a 1/8 scale Inferno GT2.This thing is huge! And it's a blast to drive. I'm pretty new to on-road. But it's quickly rising as my favorite car I've ever owned. It's pretty durable and super fast.

Your work looks really good, but I can't afford it for bashing.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the GT2. It's got that scale realism thing going for it. Plus, it's a reasonably priced huge fuckoff road car. I want one pretty bad.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

I'm glad you like your car, but the design is a blatant ripoff of the Micro RS4 - not uncommon in the industry, but hey you're having fun so enjoy it :) unfortunately Micro died out a while back...but I still have 3 :)

I always assumed that companies like that bought the tooling from the original manufacturer after a production run was complete. I mean, I see previous generations of Futaba radios around with different labels on them all the time. I suppose that's probably different though.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you and your company for continuing to produce parts for my old-rear end Nitro RS4 2. From what I can tell, it's still a very capable racer save for belt drive being a bit out of style for nitro cars at this time. (Man is it hard to find aftermarket parts like CVDs and titanium turnbuckles / hingepins though.)

What happened to HPI's racing side? Is that all deferred over to Hot Bodies now? When I got out of R/C about 10 years ago I thought the RS4 stood on the same ground as the TA-03. HPI's focus seems to be more on club racing and RTRs now. That's entirely understandable, of course. Especially considering Traxxas' stand in the market. I was just genuinely curious.

IVnic8or posted:

Kuffs, get the GT2. It's a great car, a good value, lots of fun, and the new McLaren body they just announced for it is amazing. Sell one of your lesser used cars to partially fund it.

Well, the RS4 is the only car I own at this point in time and I've dumped far more money than it's worth into it :P. I saw the McLaren body and it is gorgeous. Lusting for supercars is what keeps me into on-road :). I'll be buying one in a few months hopefully. Maybe by then they'll have a kit version by then. I don't care for RTR radios and I really have fun putting them together.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

As for parts supply, that's down to demand, not me :D but it's great to see people still enjoying the older cars. As much as marketing hype and race results are well-placed in magazines, the older cars are still just as much fun as they used to be. Ebay is a great place to find old parts though, I still want to pick up an RC10 Worlds just for nostalgia's sake.

Man, I saw a loving amazing RC10 Worlds with the MIP 4WD conversion kit on ebay a couple months ago. I heard rumors of such a thing a long time ago, but had never actually seen one. I was amused at the simplicity and the fact that it came with CVDs. I didn't realize that CVDs were MIP's thing from the very start.

I used to own an RC10 back in the day. I remember how ridiculous the original transmission was. The differential was external to the plastic housing and sat next to the slipper clutch. I forget how the shafts transferred to the inside. But It had six gears in it, 3 for the left side and 3 for the right side. The chassis was pre-drilled for the stealth tranny, so I just picked up one of those to end the retardery.

krushgroove posted:

HB is HPI's racing side, the money is in RTRs basically. Like you've seen with TRX, they used to be well into racing before the owner realized that overseas manufacture and slick marketing is the key (plus their stuff is designed pretty good too). All the biggest companies are into (almost mass-market) RTR now, look at AE, Losi and the big racing names, smaller brands like Schumacher and Yokomo just fall farther behind in sales but they keep going on.

Getting back into the hobby, I was kind of surprised to find AE and Losi with RTRs. It was always Sport or Team edition kits when I was rolling. Makes loads of sense though, during my hiatus I remember seeing T-MAXXes for sale in random unrelated mall kiosks. They kind of made a big deal out of RTR with that thing.

I'm sad to see that Schumacher is so small these days. They were always kind of small, but at least still had a couple spots in the big races. I remember seeing their 4wd buggy for the first time. Shaft-driven when most were belts, and they even stuck inboard suspension on it. It was a wild design at the time.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Do any of you guys have any idea what an Electronic Traxxas Stampede would be worth? I bought it years back, got a new body for it, some custom shocks, new battery pack, and it comes with a really nice airplane remote as well as a charger that was called the "Super Brain something something" with auto trickle charging and poo poo.

That was an MRC Super Brain iirc. Whatever happened to MRC anyway? I remember they had some crazy no-questions-asked 90 day warranty or something. Didn't matter if you wrecked your car doing something stupid, they would replace the part.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

It seems that the RC car guys get marketed overpriced or underfeatured stuff, while the flying people get all the good stuff for similar/the same prices.

This, for example
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html
Temperature control, storage charges, cold weather mode, lipo charging/balancing, A123 charging, NiMH, NiCd, Lead, whatever and it's $80. And you can program in settings with a computer so you have your own tailored presets.
Compare that to your average marketed NiMH/NiCd charger and it's a no brainer.

Or this thing, which is next on my list of poo poo to buy for my planes/helis/cars
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/10s_charger.htm
3C lipo charging is so dreamy :allears:
It even measures cell internal resistance, which is extremely useful with lipos.

So, I'm not up to date on battery technology, but there's nothing about those that would make them unusable for rc car stuff right? If so, I'll be picking one up for whatever electric car I end up getting. (I know I'll have one eventually)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't hear about that until just now.

It's 4WD, too.
If it wasn't ~$280 I'd buy one right the gently caress now.

I can forsee some really awesome stock class indoor racing with them.

Tiny short course races in your back yard :3:

I would set up a drivers stand with free spinning steering wheels and make my own real-life copy of Super Off Road

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Man, reading my own link has led me to wonder about the track layout for Slash spec races. Since Slashes are waterproof, they need more water obstacles! Probably hard to maintain, but fun to think about.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Some fellow brought a slash with a brushless system and a 2S pack to our meet today. That thing was crazy fast, reaffirmed my need for an SC8.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

Completely useable.
For charging NiMh/NiCd and such, you take the supplied adapter with tinned ends and solder on your own connector. For Lipos and such that charge through the balance leads, you use various adapter plates.

e: I should mention that they're still tailored towards the anal retentive pilots who have 30 different lipos, though. You really need to buy the computer port for them, as well as adapter plates for whatever lipos you use (generally not a problem).

Other than those FMA chargers, Hyperion stuff also absolutely loving rocks.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/22872
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/18361

Fellow on rctech.net has one of these http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=6863 for sale for $100, good deal?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
edit: Hahaha, nice ninja :P

kuffs fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 4, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Just picked up an rc10gt with a spare parts chassis. I should have yet another rc10gt on the way from a friend.

I think I'm going to look at things and see if I can't convert one of the trucks to a rally car. I'm thinking arms off of a b3 or b4 should probably do the trick. Any ideas on front wheels that will take a 26mm tire? Now what I really need is a Lancia Stratos body, but I think the wheelbase is probably a bit too long for that.

Other questions:
There's no gotchas on using an Airtronics servo on my Futaba receiver right? Aside from having to change the pinout on the plug perhaps?

What kind of steering servo do nitro touring car guys usually use? I have a high torque on mine right now, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

stizu posted:

I too have similar aspirations to make a frankenmobile. I am not sure that making a rally car out of a truck would be very succesful though, it may be easier to fit longer a arms to the touring car you have and rally tires of course. I am going to try something similar, only I am going to try to make it closer to scale. If not that, I will try to make it into a short course truck.

My original plans for the RS4 were to make it into a rally car. But, the belt system makes it *very* cranky when it gets around dirt and gravel. I was hoping to retrofit the lexan underbody for the RS4 Rally, but HPI doesn't make it anymore. I also considered vacuum-forming my own, but well, then I got to driving it like a real touring car and really like it :).

The short course thing is a good idea though. I'll keep it in mind if these plans don't work out.

stizu posted:

Right now, I have an HPI RS4 MT that I just put back together and worked out some cobwebs on. I just happened to have a set of proline sand paws laying around and decided to pop those on it. After a while of running it, I came across a large, wet hill of sawdust. I put it on the side and it climbed right up the side like it was nothing. It wasn't until later that I realized the similarity to formula off road! It isn't very scale with the independant suspension and all, but I have a tlt-1 with solid axles that, with a little lengthening of the wheel base and a jeep body would look quite a bit like the real thing. I will try to get video of it climbing the hill tomorrow.

This is an awesome idea.

stizu posted:

The servos should be fine, I just hooked up a traxxas servo to my futaba reciever to test it out and it worked. I have a nitro rs4 as well and I just used the standard servo that came with my radio kit and it seems to be okay. I wouldn't change out a strong servo for a weaker one though. Are you talking about putting the stronger one into the rc10gt? If that is the case, I would say that the rc10gt needs it more than the touring car.

Yeah, I'm thinking of pulling the stronger servo off my RS4 and dropping it on the GT. I don't know, I think I'll just buy another nice HT/HS servo.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Hahahaha, holy gently caress.

I used to run an S9304 in my RC10GT way back in the day. And back then it was a high torque servo.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/pgarchive/Futaba_S9304.htm

55oz/in is child's play any more.

Looking at a 94360Z on rctech right now.
http://www.airtronics.net/specs/atxservospecs.pdf

Any reason I should worry about getting a digital servo? I've got a pair on my RS4 right now, but I'm not even sure what the difference is.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

scandoslav posted:

I have an HPI Racer 2 that's been just sitting around for the better part of a decade now; what's the best way to go about selling it? Throw it on ebay with a big ol "caveat emptor"? Find an RC forum and see if any hobbyists want it? Would anybody even want it / want to pay anything for it at this point?

Those share a lot of parts with the Nitro RS4 2. I'm interested. Care to shoot me an email at thekuffs at gmale?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
CORR is awesome

Somewhat Heroic posted:

1/5th scale is awesome

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Cup racers are awesome

You are awesome :cheers:

Is the 5t 4wd? gently caress they are so awesome and so expensive :argh:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So I reversed the polarity on my receiver pack due to some wonky wiring on the switch that I hadn't examined closely enough. Looks like ruined the steering servo in one of my RC10GTs. The good thing is, I have an ideal set of servos in my Nitro RS4. I don't think my RS4 needs HS/HT and can probably make do with standard servos (will someone correct me on this if necessary?).

My question now is, should I just buy a pair of Futaba digital standard servos or is there a deal to be had with another manufacturer? Honestly it looks like Futaba charges a premium for their servos - not that they aren't excellent.

Also, what manufacturers use the same horns? So far I know that Traxxas/Futaba have the same splines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So, the local offroad track is especially difficult for 1/10th scale cars. The track is mostly designed for 1/8th truggies and so the jumps are pretty big. As a result of my novice driving ability, the body for my RC10GT has taken a beating. What is the recommended way to reinforce critical areas on these things? Looks like one of the bodies I have has what appears to be drywall mesh tape epoxied onto the underside. What kind of epoxy should I use to ensure that it still stays rather flexible?

I am looking to paint up a new body and there was a fellow at the local club meet with a kickass flat-black body. He obviously painted the outside, but the finish was much more even than I think I can achieve with polycarbonate pain. Anyone have any thoughts?

SGT. Squeaks, you do not have any rc10gt bodies for sale :P