Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Long time listener, first time poster ( in this thread, anyways).

I used to semi-pro carpet race (just local level tournies') when I lived in Europe back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I have a HPI RS4 Pro 3. It's sitting around collecting dust and I want to bring it back from hibernation.

Problem is that all my radio gear is the old euro 50Mhz stuff and as far as I understand it, in North America, that is a big no no.

What are my options as far as new radio gear goes?

Would it be cheaper for me to buy a RTR kit (like a Micro RS4) and then pick up a second receiver? Or buy a radio and receiver locally/online?

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

After buying a Tamiya Lunchbox as a dog toy tow vehicle last year, I'm back into the RC hobby after giving up carpet racing a HPI Pro 3 back in 2003.

I love building them about as much as driving them, so I picked up a Tamiya TT02 Porsche RSR kit. The plan is to build a Safari/Rally version (full lights, roof basket, etc.)

Pretty sure I have an idea where to get everything but what is the go to for servos and batteries? Before I just default to my outdated goto of Futaba.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm neck deep in a Tamiya TT-02 Safari 911 build. Can confirm that the kits are so good and fun, you don't care that it's all plastic.

This will be the first one I build with lights. Where and how do I mount the LEDs in the lexan?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, the Sand Scorcher just looks fun. I bet it'll do wheelies with a nice brushless setup.

The rereleased LunchBox will pull a wheelie forever from a stop if you floor it. It even comes with a wheelie bar.