Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

kuffs posted:

Brian Kinwald, and I think he drove for Trinity and Losi.

That kid was (still is?) a total cocksucker. Rude and very unfriendly. Almost as bad as Dustin Diamond.

I just spent 4 years in Japan and wished r/c was bigger over there. They've got a raging hard on for drifting and touring cars, but nearly nothing for off road. I really wish there was something other than a dirt oval track near where I lived because I'd love to race spec Slash. That looks like all kinds of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Hypnolobster posted:

It really is a goddamned blast. I got to participate in 3 races over the winter at a big indoor carpet track. It was really, really fun, and the local dirt track has a series that has an enormous turnout every year.

I've seen a couple of guys running them around the oval here in town (they've got like two or three jumps in the middle of it just for shits and giggles) and it's uncanny how realistically they handle and look. My father used to wrench for a couple of big Trophy Truck / Stadium Truck teams during the late 80s/early 90s and it's really cool to see stuff like in my childhood.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
^^ looks like an awesome layout, needknees! If I can get back into the groove of this and have a three day weekend, I'd certainly consider the drive to Iowa to race at a quality indoor track!

After many years of not racing, I've got the itch again. I'm living in central Texas, so the major classes here are 4wd Short Course and e-buggy. There are two tracks within a reasonable distance. One of them is quite small and runs mostly 4wd SC, with a smaller group running 1/10th 4wd buggy and some running stock 2wd SC. The other track is a far larger track set up for 1/8th racing where the major classes are 4wd SC and e-buggy, with a recent growth of 1/10th ST, and some people racing gas buggy and truggy.

My question is this: given an extensive budget (I've set aside my spare money for a while, and additionally have a bit of a windfall to put towards this) which should I start with?

I've considered 4wd SC, which would allow me to race at both tracks, but I've got an equal draw to the buggies simply because that's what I started with. I'm partial to Durango (for some unknown reason) but have equally considered everything else so I'm open to suggestions.

I posted earlier in the thread about starting with spec 2wd SC but that class is just about dead in the local area and I'd rather have something that I can race every weekend in the local area, but still be able to travel to Houston or Dallas or anywhere else a state away for regional or national races if I can get back to where I was almost 15 years ago.

Thanks!

antimatt fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 18, 2013

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

needknees posted:

Totally helpful :words:

What I'd come up with already is almost your suggestions verbatim, except I'm totally gay for the Durango DEX408. I'm gonna spring for the Futaba 4PKS-R, because I liked Futaba in the past, and it can be converted to left hand use (I'm right handed, but drive lefty. :iiam:) and likely buy an equivalent Futaba servo, just to keep it in the family.

The bonus with the DEX408 is I can use the same batteries in 1/10th vehicles, and there's a bit more selection in 2s packs. Also Ryan Lutz is a great source of info for setups. He responded to a question through Facebook from me which was nice.

Sadly I'm not too close to Mike's, but I intend to drive up there for races once I get back into the groove of things. I've got the Temple R/C track, and 439 Raceway for 1/8th, so that gives me two nights a week to race, and at least two or three nights available for practice.

Good suggestion about the stock 2wd buggy. I can pick up a DEX210, a blinky ESC/motor combo, and a servo and have a 2nd car to run for relatively cheap!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I have near zero parts support for anything here so I will be relying on Tower Hobbies and A Main. The Tekno was definitely my second choice, but like I mentioned I'm gay for anything Durango. I think it is because I paid so much attention to the company when they were building prototype cars using Associated suspension parts back in the day. (Same reason I like JConcepts. I was on the list for one of the first 25 BJ4 chassis, but turned it down because I had to move away from the nice track I was near.)

I've always been biased against gas cars, but the idea of 30min+ mains is awesome!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
So I did a thing.

I'm hoping to have everything race ready before my birthday next month. So very excited. If anyone wants to see build photos, I'll post a few.

e: Installed the f/r diffs, carriers and arms!

antimatt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 13, 2013

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Well, my DEX408 is about halfway built because I took a vacation halfway through. Now it appears I'm going to South Korea later this year. I'm doing some research to see what tracks are nearby and what classes they race before I finish the car I have, or if I start something else.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Track looks like it should have some wicked traction once it grooves up! Looks great! Too bad Iowa is a bit far...

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Anyone race 1/10 4wd buggy and 1/8 ebuggy? Are they similarly enough to drive that you can learn one from the other? I'm moving to an area where 1/8 racing is closer but less frequent but 1/10 racing is weekly but a bit further away.

I'm just trying to decide my first focus once I get confident learning how to drive again after a bunch of years with this SCT I have.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The difference between a 1/8 (probably outdoor and loose) and 1/10 (maybe indoor clay) track will cause them to be different from start. 1/8 cars have much more drivetrain and wheel inertia and can do a lot of airborne maneuvering, are beefier, and you'll drive on larger tracks on a much taller stand. My experience with 1/10 4wd buggies is that they are very very fast on 1/10 tracks which tend to have more vertical and technical layouts, and are much more fragile. It's a lot easier for one mistake to end a race. The 1/8 class will probably have a wider range of skill levels (or multiple skill classes) as opposed to the 1/10 4wd which will be a second class for the extremely competitive 2wd buggy guys.

Overall they are pretty different driving experiences. I'd probably visit both tracks on a race day before committing too hard and see how the field looks.

That... makes a lot of sense and helps! I'll likely get into both over time. You're correct in 1/10 being indoor clay (Beach RC in Myrtle Beach, SC) and unless the field is completely terrible / toxic I'll likely make that my main focus as they race weekly. I'm enjoying learning to drive again and this will be my primary hobby for the foreseeable future.

Last car I raced before I started here recently was a grey pan RC10 back in like '95. I bought a Traxxas Slash kit and a Hobbywing blinky 17.5 brushless combo and put decent wheels and tires on it. I'm already side-eyeing a RC10SC6.1 because I can't stand how much play there is in the Slash's suspension. Everything is perfectly assembled and yet there is still several degrees of play in the steering and suspension. At least it's stout and relatively inexpensive. I haven't broken anything yet, and my clean laps are competitive for the novice class. I can't easily clear doubles with it and I think that's because it's about a half kilo heavier than ROAR minimum weight and it appears most 2wd SCT classes are 13.5 brushless instead of 17.5.

It's a bummer that SCT isn't popular. I like the look of them far more than the stadium trucks. The bodies of stadium trucks just look silly. Same with 1/8 truggy. I'm sure someone will take offense with that hot take...

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Anyone race GT12? I'm moving to an area where the closest track that races weekly is carpet onroad and GT12 is the most popular class. It looks like a cool entry to onroad racing.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Anyone here have any experience with the RGT EX series crawlers? I've upgraded my WPL C24 to the hilt and I think I'd like to get out of 1/16 scale but I can't quite stomach the price of an SCX10.

You may check out the selection from Element RC? With their monthly coupon code you might be able to sneak out of Amain right around $300 RTR...

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
As another option at $300 RTR if you want new, it appears Redcat just put out an updated GEN8 V2 Scout II. Might be interesting.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I should explain I am getting into RC by way of 1/24 scale modeling so scale is important- the Enduro Trailrunner and its IFS was tempting but I was worried I'd be better served by the aftermarket with an Axial

RGT is apparently made by HSP so I'm intrigued but the only reviews I can find are largely sponsored that play like infomercials. As I said I'm into scale so I'd prefer something truck-like (SCX/TRX) but covid has sent prices locally/ebay thru the roof.

I was very sold on the Redcat Gen8 until I started to read about reliability issues which has pushed me back toward an Axial.

I think the Axial is near the front of the pack if you want options and scale accuracy.

Geburan posted:

Winter is coming and I don’t want to stand in the rain. Any good options for like 1:28 for zooming around the house with maybe FPV? Basically I’m looking for a car version of a TinyWhoop. I had a WL toys one that had proportional steering but the controller was tiny for adult hands. I see a Team Associated car that is similar. Neither has a swappable battery though. I want to charge a few lipos and bop around a bit. Am I missing an option?

They're a bit bigger, but Losi offers 1/14 and 1/18 buggies and trucks. Might have a look at them?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

McTinkerson posted:

I got my niece and nephew the Losi Micro-T's for Xmas two years ago and they're indestructible. They've abused the crap out of them inside and in their backyard and have not needed any repairs.

Yeah, I've seen one get creamed by a tumbling 1/8 ebuggy and the kid just drove away.

I think I've got my GT12 car ideas put together. I think I'm gonna go by the route of "buy once cry once" and get the new Awesomatix A12. Apparently they're bulletproof and easy to drive. Plus it appears someone's figured out rubber 1/12 tires which is nice because the idea of dealing with foam tires is not appealing.

I'm gonna run the Bittydesign LS3 "Lotus GT3" clone body. Anyone have ideas for a paint scheme? Current idea is going with the Repsol Honda scheme. Metallic dark blue, orange, red and white, with easy to cut lettering. Need something unique and easy to see against grey/black carpet. Another idea is mimicing the Castrol scheme from the Group C Jaguars...

I do wish someone made a 1/12 scale Jaguar XJR-9 body...

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Yeah, I was gonna say something similar. Go on Arrma's site and pick an option that matches your aesthetics and price range, get yourself a couple of 4S or 6S packs and a charger and have fun.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

mattfl posted:

Hey r/c guys, maybe you can help me out here.

I'm trying to source some springs for a 3d printing project I'm working on

The springs look like this

and have the following specs

.40" ID x .45" OD x .75"-1.25" L

Someone on another forum mentioned those look very similar to r/c car springs and they are right, however I'm having trouble finding specific specs on the r/c car springs.

Anyone have any idea whether there are any r/c car springs that are similar to these specs?

It'd have to be something small scale. I just checked the springs on my RC10 and they're about 0.750" OD. Anything 1/10 is going to have something similar in size. I don't know what size they are but you might check out the springs for the front/rear of a Losi Mini-T 2.0. Looking at them online they might be close to what you're looking for, but understand that I'm just offering an educated guess. I can't find measurements.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

mattfl posted:

So, awesome.....he says if I want I can make my own by winding some piano wire. Thanks dude.

You're already 3d printing so I think you're almost all the way there. Fab up a jig and buy a bunch of piano wire (cheap!) and make your own springs.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

an AOL chatroom posted:

Heading into a couple of vacation days next week, and have myself a nice little pile of parts ready for a Tamiya TT-02 build. My helper is *very* excited to bite the antenna

Very cool! The one I built worked rather well with a healthy amount of Mobil 1 grease (silver and blue tub, available at any auto parts store) in all the diffs. More in the center and front, less in the rear. The stock tires aren't great and I know on carpet it needs a lot more negative camber front and rear, probably on any surface. If you're getting traction rolls get some superglue up on them outside tire sidewalls. Also the "speed gear set" (TAM54500) is a great cheap upgrade. Take the time to tidy up the edges of the suspension arms where they might rub against the mount / chassis / upright.

I'm trying to decide if my first serious dive into on-road racing is GT12 or Vintage Trans Am. It looks like both classes are equally popular at the track I'll be moving close to. I like the idea of both, not sure how I want to go tho. 1/12 pan car or 1/10 touring car? Hmmm...

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

an AOL chatroom posted:

Wow, thanks folks!! I’ll grab some of that grease before digging in on Monday. I already ordered the high speed gear, the upgraded bearings, better shocks, and a few other aluminum bits. It’s just for loving around on pavement with friends, but we’ll see how the stock tires work. Right now, I’m just getting the bodywork out of the way. Those little “fangs” in the grille and along the bottom are a pain to mask off.

If you start getting serious about painting and masking get yourself a big bottle of the Bittydesign masking fluid and find an art store and get the largest, high quality synthetic flat brush you can find for less than $10. Don't thin the fluid, keep it liquid while applying, and wash the brush immediately. That stuff works very well. Three
solid brush coats with a few hours of drying between gives you a really nice transparent pink tinted mask that's easily trimmed and removed with a hobby knife.

I promise I'm not a Bittydesign shill. It really works that well.

Also thin sharpie markers on the exterior peel mask works great. Get a bottle of plain acetone to clean up mistakes. It even works on plain lexan because I'm pretty sure acetone doesn't (permanently) damage lexan.

edit: added the word transparent.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Terminus Est posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a cheap but good 3s lipo capable balance charger. Any suggestions?

I was gonna recommend the ISDT Q6 but that's a DC charger and you probably want an AC charger. An alternative to what was suggested is the ISDT 608AC which is kinda like a Q6 with an AC power supply tacked on, I think.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Now that I've moved the closest track to me (only a few minutes away) is really nice but is 1/8th scale only and I'd really like to get into that but it's a huge investment. I'd like to have a 1/8th eBuggy put together by early summer but. ESC/motor seem to be a bit difficult to get. I'm trying to get mine through Tekin since they offer a nice military discount but they've been out of stock for several months now.

Anyone else have experience racing 1/8th?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

uwaeve posted:

Can someone explain in very small words what I might notice as the difference between something like a Losi Lasernut and the Axial Ryft? They seem superficially similar but I'm wondering if the different suspension types, steering setup, skid plate vs. boat bottom designs, and tires are a tradeoff for certain driving tasks. I'm vaguely familiar with the purpose of the full-size version of each. Lasernut is a copy of a U4 FIS race buggy, which appears to need to balance desert racing, somewhat technical crawling (but maybe not as deliberate as true crawlers, idk I saw some video), and some short course type sections, all on a timer. The Ryft is modeled after people that just throw horsepower and violence at hillclimbs, or maybe they like rock crawling but ain't no one got time for that.

Are the RC versions similar enough that, for someone new to everything, they would drive similarly? I'm not out to compete or anything but if there are things that will really stand out as being "off limits" for one or the other it would be nice to have a little insight. I would imagine the Ryft might be better set up for bouncing up hills but maybe a little sloppy running around on the flats, and vice versa but I guess I don't know to what extent I'd be shutting down the possibility of going after rock climbs with a little bit of speed with the Lasernut. FWIW I'm sort of leaning towards the Ryft at this point but as you might be able to tell it's not a super well informed opinion. I did see someone put internally-sprung double shocks on the rear of the Ryft to keep it planted running around, that would be something I wouldn't be averse to having to upgrade down the line.

They aren't going to be too dissimilar. Get which one you think looks cooler.

Unless you're going to be buying a vehicle to race in a specific class, I think that's the best advice.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I'm moving soon and will be near a very nice and popular carpet off road track, so I guess it's time to get back into 1/10 racing. Anyone have interests in seeing the geekier side of that kind of stuff? Or should I :justpost: once I get settled?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Nerobro posted:

Traction is a problem in .. all of american racing right now. Nearly all. Traction is so high that cars are being optimized for LCG as opposed to having the chassis work. The exception is people running in actual parking lots, or outdoor asphalt tracks.

In the old days, off road was on "dirty" surfaces. ~actual dirt~. Mini-pins could dig in. Long pins were an option sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JCPlLtt_yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYYjUk17IE

That's exciting, and fun to watch. The modern stuff.. not so much.

I'm currently trying to learn to drive carpet off-road after a long break in racing, and having only raced on dirt. It's maddening, and also a modern 17.5t 2wd buggy is just as fast as any mod motor car I'd driven years ago.

At least the battery life with lipo and brushless is amazing.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, at this point the definition between "off road" and "on road" is primarily "jumps".

When the first short course trucks like the SC10 came out, they dragged me back in for a while because the way they moved looked much more like a real offroad truck, instead of how modern truggies/buggies handle. But of course everyone wants to go fast no matter what and this is why we can't have nice things.

Amen. Short course trucks are my favorite class for just that reason. They're also a bit lazy because of the added mass and bodies. But they're not popular because people seem to love driving the fastest, most uncontrollable cars.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Nerobro posted:

I hate short course trucks with a passion. They're.. essentially 1/8th scale cars, flying the flag of 1/10th scale. The bodies are disposable, they're built on chassis designed for buggies, so broken arms and knuckles are the name of the day.

They're always upside down. They're always blocking most of the lane. They're always ... wrong. Every race I've seen with SCT has been a race of attrition, not of driver skill. And that's just trash.

"stock" and "modified" buggies are both far to fast. I think we need to see 25.5 turn buggy classes with how fast 17.5 is. And traction is to high.

Edit: whoops, double post

Woah, I was talking about 2wd SCT. You're right about 4wd SCT, which is in a weird place because they're VERY heavy for the ESC and motor they use, and the races still use 2S batteries which put a lot of strain on the electronics.

2wd SCT is more like traction-limited stadium truck with more body roll. Stadium trucks are meh to me, not a fan, but I can understand why some people like them. 2wd SCT has style and the bodies are large enough to actually justify good paint schemes. The wheels and tires are a bit wonky tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Kibner posted:

What are some EuroTruck bashers you would recommend?

I'm not tied to Traxxas (though their headquarters is within a half hour drive of me, which would make dealing with them easy). I do value the basher looking somewhat realistic to a real vehicle, even if not to the extent of that F-150 Raptor I linked earlier. If it comes as a kit instead of RTR, that is actually preferred.

All of the EuroTrucks are made by Tamiya, based of their entry-level shaft drive on-road kits.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/radio-control/cars/