Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

allWesNoMess
Dec 19, 2007
cut and dry
Sorry for the random advice question,

I picked up a traxxas buggy today because of this thread. I have several old NiCd battery packs (1500mAh). I fully intend to buy new NiMH batteries, but how much more improved are they (i've been out of the hobby a while)? I guess I'll have to get a new charger and a few batteries as well. Should I buy the bigger batteries 4000+ are they worth it?

allWesNoMess fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allWesNoMess
Dec 19, 2007
cut and dry

krushgroove posted:

Your NiCad batteries are probably dead (meaning they won't be able to be charged up reliably), you'd be better off getting one or two of the LiPo batteries and a charger - this would probably cost you as much as 4 NiMH batteries but you'll have the same amount of runtime. If you were to get NiMH batteries, you might need a new NiMH-capable charger anyway, because a NiCad charger won't properly charge NiMH batteries.

How much run time are you talking? I could maybe get 5-10 minutes out of my tamiya tl-01 shaft drive 4wd car.

allWesNoMess
Dec 19, 2007
cut and dry

krushgroove posted:

In that car you could probably get 30 minutes or more with a 4800mAh or so battery (I don't know first-hand), so with a LiPo pack with high milliamp hour rating (mAh) you've got 3x the runtime already.

So what's a good site that you guys go to for this kind of stuff?

allWesNoMess
Dec 19, 2007
cut and dry
Awesome, thanks guys.