Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just got back into the hobby after being out of it for like 15+ years. It used to be something I did with my dad when I was younger, but I fell out of it when he passed away. He started me with a Tamiya Super Hornet and then got me the Losi XXT-CR a couple years later. Loved that truck.

Getting back into it, I wanted more of a monster truck so I could climb poo poo and take big jumps. Also decided I wanted to give nitro a try so I decided to stick with Losi and picked up the LST-XXL. I have had it for a week now and ran through about five tanks and am only now really understanding how to tune it. I will get that engine running smoothly eventually!

Also, drat. I forgot how fast these things could go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
How easy is it to change the wheels on the Slash? If it is simple, it might be worth it to just get separate wheels for the new tires so that you can easily swap them in and out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Has anyone here had an issue with some piece of metal in a gloplug falling into the engine and ruining it? It has happened twice now in the stock engine I got with the Losi XXL.

The local hobby shop I bought the kit from previously sent the engine back to Losi for them to look at it. Losi sent it back with a couple parts to replace. The hobby shop rebuilt the engine with the new parts.

I also got them to break in the rebuilt engine for them (with a brand new gloplug), but halfway through the first tank, the truck died and we couldn't get it to start up again. We brought it into the shop and took off the head and it looks like we have the same type of damage.

They are going to send it back to Losi and see if I can get a full engine replacement or something. Does anyone know what could have caused this or am I exceedingly unlucky?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I am only just beginning to get back into the hobby after 15 years, so my knowledge is pretty limited. However, the Grasshopper has been a classic beginner's car for like 30 years now, so that seems to be a good choice to me!

This post seems to have a good bit of information for beginners.

Are there any particular questions you have? Something you may be curious about?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Losi replaced my engine I was complaining about earlier. According to the shop guys, there was something about the carburetor that was messed up causing the motor to always run lean. Getting everything charged up right now. Going to start the break-in process again tomorrow!

Also, it sucks that the LST2-XXL was discontinued a couple weeks ago. There are hopes on other forums that it is because Losi is preparing to introduce a brushless version of it.

e: rofl, I am just having the worst luck. The new motor also had a new pull/spin combo starter backplate. I used the spin start when I was starting to break-in the motor, and the shaft broke off the disc thing it was attached to.

Thankfully, I still have my old motor so I'm going to reuse the backplate from that. I tried to use the pull start, but wasn't able to get it going. I read that using the pull-start to break in the engine often doesn't work. Oh well. One day I will get this truck up and running reliably.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2013

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really like the way those thin graphite(?) chassis look on those on-road racers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That tractor is amazing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That track looks like it would be a blast.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My first R/C was the Tamiya Super Hornet when I was around 10 or 11. It was great fun to build with my dad and a blast to drive. We used to build and paint those little model cars before he got me the Hornet. I had also been heavy into Legos and stuff like it, too, so putting the car together was half the fun for me.

R/C with my dad is still some of my best memories from growing up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's ridiculously awesome.

--

I'm trying to get my LST XXL running again. I never really got a good amount of time with it due to a bum engine which wasn't immediately evident to a nitro noobie like me.

I got a replacement engine from Losi and it worked great. Except I now had these odd clicking noises. Took me a while to figure out that the cause was some gear teeth were messed up.

Ordered new gears and that fixed the issue. But now I can't find the charger lead for my receiver, so I have to pick one of those up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Don't forget that you will also need a mask to filter the fumes from yourself and most likely a painting booth (for safety). There are some dudes in this thread that could help with the specifics.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
krushgroove, what filter rating is recommended for masks? I found these two and I think it was the P100 that I have seen recommended as the P95 doesn't cut it for certain paints and chemicals you may be working with.

P95 Particulate Filter -At least 95%
filter efficient when tested with ~0.3 μm
DOP (Dioctyl Phthalate) aerosol.

P100 Particulate Filter -At least 99.97%
filter efficient when tested with ~0.3 μm
DOP (Dioctyl Phthalate) aerosol.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

I want something little to drive around my computer room.

For a long time, I had the Tomy Bit Char-G cars. Are those still around in any practical way? Is there anything proportional that's a similar size?

What's out there for "really tiny R/C" cars?

OH, and while we're at it, anyone want to buy a Tamiya M-05?

I think you will get success looking up "micros". I know Losi has a bunch: http://www.losi.com/Products/Start.aspx#vehicleSelector1

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'd imagine that there would be lots of masking tape involved. Lots and lots of masking tape.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Yeah, I have some masking tape that comes in thin strips. I think the best way to go about it would be to get a nice profile picture of the car and print it out. Then measure the total length and multiply it by a factor f to equal the length of the tamiya bady. I can take my caliper and measure each stripe. When I multiply the stripe on the printout by f that will give me the correct stripe width for the body. Then it's just a matter of laying strips of masking tape and taking my time painting each stripe. I have a feeling there must be an easier way, but I have not figured it out yet.

With a pattern like that, it certainly seems the easiest way.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there a guide or something you guys can recommend I can look at to figure out which motor, ESC, and batteries are best for an electric LST XXL? I'm about to bite the bullet and grab the electronic conversion kit for mine. However, I know nothing about electronics from, oh, the past 15 years. I assume the radio that came with the truck (Spektrum DX3S) and it's receiver are fine.

I'll be doing mostly bashing with it and occasionally take it out to a race track. I don't know if it matters, but I live in a hot, humid area. If I need something other than a motor, ESC, and batteries, please let me know.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Well, I found a nice video that explains what all the numbers on a lipo battery means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDejvqVK9C4

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I would very much appreciate some help understanding this graph:

Motor Kv: higher number means less torque but higher RPMs, correct?

Why are some boxes grayed out? Too much/little power for the truck to handle?

Related to previous, should I buy a 1700 Kv motor in order to keep my battery options flexible?

How can I figure out what motors will fit the motor mount and motor heatsink? Do I have to figure out the dimensions?

I have tried reading the manual, browsing the rctech.net forums, and googling, but can't figure out how to determine what motors will fit this hardware.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Higher Kv is more RPM, less torque, but in a sense more power (especially when more volts are applied)
The grayed out areas indicate that the gearing would be outside of optimal range for your vehicle. If you overgear you will likely roast your motor/ESC. Not sure for your conversion what would be best. I know that a dude (Dan I think?) @ Kershaw Designs might have a good suggestion for a motor to go with and mount.

Thanks for the tips! I will see if I can find someone with Kershaw Designs to help me out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

needknees posted:

The grayed out boxes just mean those motor choices are not applicable for that battery voltage. Essentially, as you go up in cell count (eg 6s v. 4s) you need a motor with a significantly lower kV rating. kV times input voltage will give you the operating RPM of the motor, and generally with 1/8th stuff you don't want to see much more than 32k rpm. For example, a 2050kV motor on 4s is essentially the same rpm as a 1400kV motor on 6s (although the torque curves, battery weight, and efficiency will be different. Higher voltage setups have less amp draw and due to this you can get away with running a smaller capacity battery to get the same runtime).

Any 1/8th motor is going to be mindnumbingly fast when geared properly. A very common racing setup is a 1900kV motor on 4s. 1700 will be torquier and require more gearing to match the same top speeds, but easier to drive (although you're putting more stress on the motor and battery...)

Thanks for more info for me to chew on! This is a monster truck, so I'm ok with giving up some RPM for a little bit more torque. I'm also exchanging emails with Dan from Kershaw Designs to help figure out what I need/want. But all this information is definitely good since I am learning about brushless motors and lipos from scratch, so thanks again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Memories of building and running r/c cars with my dad is why I keep coming back to this hobby.

My parts to convert my nitro lst xxl to electric came in today. Unfortunately it probably won't be neat and easy, especially since I'm doing this for the first time. I might still have to wait for The Dude to get more parts in stock (single speed conversion and motor mount) if what I ordered doesn't work. And then I need to figure out how to mount the battery trays...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That is absolutely amazing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Found a Losi Micro-T while perusing hobby shops in a nearby city. It's very fun!

I also ordered a couple parts from The Dude Racing in order to finish up getting all the parts to finish converting my XXL to electric. He just restocked some parts yesterday.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm annoyed this evening because I thought I would be able to finish the conversion of my Losi XXL from nitro to electric but some of the parts I bought aren't compatible. I had bought many parts last year since the official conversion kit was discontinued and unavailable everywhere with the exception of two (a single speed hub and motor mount). Those came in and while I was assembling them, one of the screws was stripped and I didn't have any pairs. I also found out that the battery mounts I bought don't nicely fit with the chassis.

Did some searching to see if I could find a new one only to discover the company put out a whole new conversion kit which was the only way to get the parts I needed. Except it is only compatible with a forward-only transmission and my current one is two-way. So, I had to buy that as well.

Long story short, I chose the absolute worst time to buy parts to convert this truck and ended up with various pieces of two different conversion kits.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Almost finished with my LST XXL electric conversion. Ran into a significant snag, though; the motor, mount, and ESC I bought over a year ago don't fit the new conversion kit. :v:

I started the conversion before the LST2-E was announced. The original conversion kit didn't include a different chassis and was out of stock everywhere to begin with. So, I had bought my motor and esc with the expectation of fitting them all on my current chassis. However, the motor mount I needed was from TDR and he was out of stock until just recently and I was unable to figure out a way to mount the battery mounts I had and also couldn't find any for sale that would fit (this may have just been me being bad at searching). I bought the TDR motor mount and single-speed conversion hub when it came in because I needed to do that anyway.

While I was waiting for all that to come in, I found that Losi released an official new conversion kit with better weight distribution. It also came with some parts I was needing, anyway (battery mount and forward-only transmission), so I bought it. Finished assembling everything today only to discover that the new chassis has different mounting points for the motor mount so the one from TDR wouldn't fit. The ESC I bought didn't have little screw spots on to the sides so it wouldn't fit on the ESC mount with the new conversion kit. The motor I had didn't quite fit right with the conversion motor mount so I was unable to attach it to the chassis with a good gear mesh.

After everything I went through, it would have cost just as much to buy the new electric version right when it came out. :sigh:

Not all is lost, because I definitely learned a lot about the way the truck is built which will be helpful when something breaks in the future. That's what I dislike most about RTR-only kit releases. I love building these things and figuring out how they work. When I didn't have to build it and I have to replace something that broke, it can be a challenge figuring out how to take things apart and put them back together with the blueprint-like manual.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Hmmmm... I apparently need to cut open a computer cord to hook up its wires to the power supply I have for my charger. Is there anything I need to watch out for other than making sure I put the right wire on the right lead?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

You Am I posted:

What brand of power supply is it?

YDS. This one specifically: http://www.ydspower.com/switching-power-supply/single-output-switching-power-supply-yds12-200.html

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 30, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I got the same set for the same reason. They have worked great.

----

I found a pre-stripped power cord at the local hardware store, so that made everything easy. Now my countertop looks like a frankenstein lab charging these batteries.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

You Am I posted:

Never seen anyone use those at the track. Most people go for stuff like this:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Supply/Laboratory-Bench/13-8VDC-0-to-12-Amp-Regulated-Power-Supply/p/MP3079

Or stuff by Much More

It came with my order from Kershaw Designs last year. I got it all working now, though, so I'm happy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

Kit or RTR, not decided yet. Throw me some recommendations.

Totally biased here, but I prefer kits since building the kit really helps me understand how everything works so I can diagnose issues quicker and more accurately.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hypnolobster posted:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/boats/electric-boats/boats/recoil-26-inch-self-righting-brushless-deep-v-rtr-p-prb08022
Pretty much one of the best midrange RTR boats around that I know of if you want something really reliable and hard to gently caress up.

Oooh, nifty! I live on a river and don't own a proper boat, yet, so this looks like it would be fun!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there a recommended place for custom body painting? I want something that would fit with one of the color schemes of my favorite sports teams, including logos, but suck at actually painting stuff myself.

Related question: how can I figure out which after-market bodies will fit my LST2? Would basically any 1/8 scale "large" body work?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's going to be so much fun when I become a good enough driver to avoid breaking something halfway through a battery pack.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Cool, I got in two(!) battery packs for my LST2 brushless before calling it quits. I need to pick up some loc-tite for the rear transmission outdrive cup since it came loose a couple times which resulted in the rear wheels not doing any work for a 4wd vehicle. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ooh, looks nice!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

an AOL chatroom posted:

Hope you don't mind some parking lot bashing photos. As long as the weather keeps up, this will be a weekly thing.

*snip cool stuff*

I will never, ever complain about someone posting pics in this thread.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
1/5 scale is probably too big for me. I'm undecided if 1/8 is too big for me, tbh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Those parking lot photos are amazing. Please keep them coming!

Did any of the cars break on landing from that big ramp?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just ordered some RC Raven shock springs for my LST2. Everyone raves about them, so I'll see how they go. They are cheap and I needed to pick up some more fluid to refill my shocks anyway, so why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there an affordable and durable brushless kit? I'm afraid I don't know much outside of Losi. A friend is asking because he is looking to get into the hobby again.

e: I assume he wants off-road and either 1/10 or 1/8, but I'm asking to make sure.