Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm looking for an used rolling chassis preferably something like a 4x4 Stampede or Rustler, I will be using it at the beach this summer but I'll buy anything 1/10 or larger if it's adapted for my needs. Don't need any radios or electronics as I will be buying them new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm looking to buy kuff's slash 4x4 but I need a second one for my girl, any way to buy a chassis without electronics so I can slap hobby king parts everywhere in it ?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
What are the motor dimensions for a slash 4x4 ? I want to buy this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F9127%5F%5FTurnigy%5FBrushless%5F1%5F8%5FScale%5FCar%5FPower%5FSystem%5F2000KV%5F150A.html but I'm not sure if it will fit because it says it's for 1/8th.

By googling around I'm still not sure because some say it's a 540 and others say it's a 550 ? Either it seems that the motor I linked above will not fit ?

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 6, 2012

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

kuffs posted:

The SC4x that I had in it is a 550 sized motor. But I can run those measurements on the chassis and tell you for sure.

Sure, let me know about that also still waiting for the pics

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Couldn't buy kuff's platinum Slash so I just ordered a brand new Slash 4x4 VXL, should get it in a few days and it should be fun for loving around at the beach.

Also that way if my wife like it I'll buy the slash knock off from hobby king and put the VXL stuff in it and upgrade mine with turnigy stuff. Also ordered the iPhone dock thing for the TQi TX because it seems like an useful gimmick will report about it's usefulness.

Have not ordered Lipo's tho because I wanted your recommendations on chargers before ordering, I'm looking at this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F17508%5F%5FJust%5FAnother%5FCharger%5F80W%5F6A%5F2%5F6S%5FBalance%5FCharger%5Fw%5FPSU.html because I can use it at home or directly on a battery but I don't know anything about the specs any advice ?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Ok, I think I need to act on this.... RPP Hobby has the pre-assembled XXX-SCT roller on sale for 129.99!

http://www.rpphobby.com/Losi_XXX_SCT_2WD_Rolling_Chassis_p/losb0113.htm

That's a hell of a deal, yes?!

I don't know, from the research I've done for my purchase you need 200$ worth of electronics to complete and you still need radio.

Here's the list I had for the slash :

Turnigy TrackStar 120A Short Course ESC + Prog card 70$
Turnigy TrackStar 6.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 5150KV 40$
Turnigy 5000mAh 4S 25C Lipo Pack (DE Warehouse) 46$ x2

Take into account that it doesn't include shipping, the charger and radio.
Also I wouldn't buy a 2wd truck for bashing around because with lipo's and brushless it will be a pain to put the power down and you'd end power sliding into the nearest obstacle way too often.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Got a call from the retailer, he said he replaced the radio with the old traxxas one because there's supposedly a recall on the TQi transmitters, hope it's not bullshit because I can't find any mention of a recall online and I see a shitload of TQi radios on ebay taken straight out of the box of RTR kits. Any one got any infos about that ?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Received my Slash, got the old radio as expected which sucks I feel like I got scammed but no response from Traxxas about the supposed recall.

Anyway charging the battery, 8 hours charge time is retarded gotta get some lipos fast.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
First time out with the Slash 4x4 VXL, rolled the gently caress out of it on speed bumps, did donuts and cool drifts on gravel, huge jumps in the forest and tall grass and some other bullshit till the drat nimh ran out. Body is scratched to hell and it took 1 hour of cleaning but I'm pretty pleased with it. 8 hours charge time is bullshit so I ordered 2 3000mah 3s lips and a charger + power supply, can't wait to get them.

Anyway it's been 3 hours charging I'm going out again before it's too dark, hope I'll get more than 10 mins run time.

By the way I'm looking for a RTR 1/10 off road for the wife willing to spend 300$ max let me know if you have anything.

edit. nevermind just bought her a rustler vxl

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 12, 2012

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
When I turn my radio off my slash will just go full throttle, why is the failsafe not working ? I'm scared it will just run away if I get out of range or out of batteries.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

powderific posted:

Did someone secretly replace your ESC with an old mechanical speed control?

If it's sitting at neutral throttle and you turn it off it throttles all the way up? That's pretty crazy.

I have the stock VXL ESC, yesterday I turned my radio off before I turned the car off and the car went straight at full speed until I turned the radio back on

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Id say it's overkill, just received my 3s and I'm surprised I didn't break anything because when you apply full throttle it's way too much power to be useable by anyone and it screams like a mofo, for bashing a 2s would be better because it also overheat the velineon pretty badly

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I think the Slash 4x4 is a better platform than those because the handling can be fixed by changing shocks and wheels/tires and the Slash have the benefit of being able to bash it without giving a gently caress and do crazy rollovers/jumps and the worst you'll break is a wheel carrier or a-arms if you cross over the line and ram it in something, also even for me in Europe I have to import each replacement part from the US which means I have to pay extra taxes, customs fees and shipping and it's still my cheapest car to maintain.

Also in case someone is wondering about the Slash 4x4 I'll give my impressions.

Negatives:
- Slipper clutch/Center Diff bearing will go bad quickly if you don't clean it often, this fixed by using a motor mount allowing you to use a bigger bearing (brand is kingheadz I think)
- Stock shocks are garbage but still the handling is not bad with them it's just that they are fragile and not very adjustable

Positives:
- Very tough
- Cleaning and maintenance is easy (4 screws to remove front assembly, 4 screws for rear)
- VXL package is very powerful with 3S lipos I don't think you'd need a better engine because it's fast as hell but be aware that it gets hot fast although using an engine fan I can run it non-stop versus having to stop every 20 minutes before

I've used mine for more than 50 hours and I haven't broke anything, only damage so far is 3 stripped teeth on the spur gear because I did a 3 meters jump and landed on concrete so the undertray bent and touched the spur gear, haven't replaced it thought because it's still working fine. Also I bent a front shock shaft, no idea how I did it but I just bent it back expecting oil loss but it's not happening.

For racing, I'm not a regular racer but at my local buggy track it can handle it's own against hpi and losi SC, I swapped cars with a guy there running HPI and he said that it's pretty fast and it didn't take long for him to get used to driving it and set similar times that he did with his hpi after only 10 minutes of driving.
He said it was feeling heavier and I agree with him thought, the hpi felt lighter in turns.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Appreciate the advice. I'm a performing musician, but I've realized that I don't need a certain expensive amp anymore, so I'm unloading it and will be spending it on a nice 4x4 SC truck for winter indoors racing (and a bit of outdoors). A buddy of mine has a Slash 4x4 with VXL system he'd sell me for 250 (minus radio gear) which seems like a good deal. He hardly even drove the truck, so it's in killer condition He doesn't have the center diff though, so I'd have to buy one.

It's between that or the losi. The losi sounds like it's the poo poo, but the price tag will be significantly higher to get one up to snuff (i'd buy it used).

I'll be spending the majority of my time racing in the big Sportsman Modified SC class around here, so for straight up "bang for the buck" the slash may be what I lean on. I also have a 2wd Slash (my oval "car") that I'm assuming I can share certain parts with.

Decisions, decisions.

Make sure to get 2S OR 3S lips and you'll have fun, if you only use it for racing and your track is small get 2S.
Also I like driving it better with the slipper clutch set at 1/4 turn from locked than with the center diff because with a low throttle sensitivity you can race without having it slipping but you can still do awesome 4wd powerslides when you're coming too hot into a corner, also I have my mind at ease because the clutch is basically a fuse between motor and driveline so it takes some of the stress off when under aggressive acceleration. You should consider upgrading the shocks if you need to take lot of jumps, a popular upgrade are D8 shocks which are really big bores, it adds some weights but then you'll have the best shock setup from any 1/10 truck out there

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The best slash shocks going are the Pro-Line PowerStrokes. Not that great if you wont be racing though, as they require pretty frequent maintenance.

http://prolineracing.com/performance-parts/power-stroke-shocks-front/

D8's are better than pro lines

http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/traxxas-slash-4x4/13620-d8-shocks-slash-4x4-definitive-tutorial.html

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Stampede owners: any suggestions for spare parts to have handy? My truck gets in on Friday and I'd like to be prepared. I'm thinking of ordering some RPM A-arms, but not sure what else to take a look at.

camber blocks

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

powderific posted:

You have any need for swaybars? I accidentally bought some full size ones that I thought when I had the mini that I'd send you for cheap.
if you can ship overseas I'm interessted as well let me know

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wouldn't want to convert back and forth between Stampede and Slash. My kids like racing the Stampede around and I finally have it solid enough not to break so much. I want a Slash for the seemingly lower center of gravity, and most of all so we have two cars to bash/race around with. We like racing it around a baseball diamond, so having two cars would at least double the entertainment.
you should consider the rustler then, it's pretty fun to drive and very capable also maintenance is way easier than 4x4 models

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

My buddy has a Rustler VXL. What would make it better for what I'm doing than the Slash 2WD?

I don't know what you're doing but from what I've read I see you already have a 4x4 Stampede, a 2wd slash is just a 2wd stampede honestly.

The rustler is smaller, lighter and is still very capable on all terrains, it can also pull crazy wheelies and I think it's simpler and better made than the slash, maintenant and cleaning is very easy. I think you'll enjoy more going from the stampede to a rustler than to a slash. The only problems with the rustler is that without proper setup any kind of throttle will cause the front to lift and that because the bumper doesn't protect the front wheels any kind of frontal crash have a chance of breaking camber blocks or a-arms

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Last couple days I've been running the Slash 4x4 outside in the street trying to get a feel for a 4wd. The truck is a blast. I just went from 30wt all around to 40 rear/50 front, moved the shocks to lowest ride height, and put a set of stiffer losi green springs on the rear...the truck feels awesome now. I have a fresh set of Jconcepts subcultures (in green) for the track tomorrow, so I should bet set.
if you like bashing with it I'd recommend esc and motor fan because they get really hot, I have 2 fans on mine and while it added very slight servo noise it cooled it enought to be able to use it for hours non-stop instead of having to wait 15mins every 30 mins. Also if you do jumps with it I'd stay away from the lower ride height setting because the spur gear cover can bend and damage the spur gear

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

I finally had some time to get into the Slash diffs to check them out and fill them with fluid. Good thing I did, because neither of them had any fluid, and only 1 had a bit of grease! I filled them up with 10k in the front, and 5k in the rear. Holy poo poo, the thing drives so much easier now. It was previously very hard to get into the throttle without the truck fishtailing or pulling wildly, and now I know that it was because the diffs were completely open!

As a side note I'd like to add that while I had heard that getting into 4x4 SC racing was more "maintenance heavy" than 2wd, the Slash 4x4 is a breeze to work on. Both diffs slide out of their housings with the removal of only a couple screws, and generally every part on the truck is accessible with minimal effort.

Yeah told you the slash 4x4 was pretty easy to maintain, by the way as I have said previously consider upgrading the motor mount to one which use the big bearings because that bearing is already poo poo on my 2 months old slash and I clean it after each session. Once or twice the bearing was actually stuck and you couldn't rotate it by hand but soaking it in wd40 a few times fixed it for now

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Considering converting my slash 4x4 to a pede 4x4. The parts to do it are like $150, but I miss wheelies, dont race the slash anymore, and $150 is cheaper than a new pede.

Someone with a 4x4 pede tell me I should do this.

I don't know why you would need that much, just some 17mm hex adapters, big wheels and longer shocks should make a capable stampede out of the slash, I will probably do it myself to bash in the woods or at the beach

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Bbbbbut wheelies

Looks like the slash chassis is a bit longer and wider but there's no significant layout change for weight distribution to the rear, I think it should be able to wheelie with only big wheels and shocks and lipo's

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I broke out my Stampede VXL a few nights ago to bash in the snow. I haven't run it for a few months and I discovered that my old NiMH battery is poo poo now. I wanna step up to lipo but I don't have a lot of money to spend right now. Any recommendations on a decent, cheap charger and lipo?

I'm not picky on battery capacity or brand name. Just has to have a traxxas plug.

You can't go wrong with turnigy stuff, it's not brand name but I have 3 turnigy lipos and the turnigy accucell6 charger and while the charger is rated for 6 amps it can only charge at 5 amps so to fully balance charge an empty battery it takes like 40 mins but for the price it's a steal and the battery are awesome, I have a 2S 5500mA and 2 3S 3300mA and the 3S have way more power than maxamps and 3 times cheaper. Only issue I see is turnigy's are more expensive if you want the traxxas plug on it (I think 40$ each about 2 years ago) but if you don't mind soldering the plugs you can have 2 batteries for the price of one.

Also I recommend you buy batteries in pairs because it's not uncommon to receive sub-par batteries and it cost more to return it than to buy a new one.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I have the weekend off, but my buggy isnt prepared 100%. For some reason, im having trouble with my servos fitting in the gen3 tray, the screws dont want to bite in. Also, I dont have my motor mounyt screws. It's pretty frustrating because it's about 95% ready.

I might still make it out. When would qualifying start? I could still get practice time in tomorrow, yes?

I had similar problems with servos and I made the mistake of using longer screws and hosed the servo, I fixed the problem with a bevel drill bit like this http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/166x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13777.jpg

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

OnlyJuanMon posted:

My 8ight 2.0 is ready to go, but I need a few battery pointers.

What should I be charging the nimh hump pack at? What amperage, and for how long?

For all the lipos, what exactly does it do to sicharge and balance said battery?

I don't know about NIMH but for Lipos it's simple, if you have a charger that can balance, just balance charge every time you're charging. If you don't balance it's not a big deal in most cases, a never balanced battery will have a bit less punch and capacity but it shouldn't be noticeable.

On very crappy batteries sometimes a cell will just be out of whack compared to the others and because it will never cycle fully if you don't balance, that cell will be basically dead so you just lost capacity and power. Basically cells are batteries within the battery.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Question for Slash owners : I'm having trouble with the slipper clutch on mine, clutch assembly is new and it's slipping everytime I apply max throttle, even when I'm already at speed the only way to fix the slippage is to tighten the bolt at max, even half a turn untightened will make it slip. I'm running the shortest gearing (stock short gear) and while I understand the Slash 4x4 is heavy and with 3S LIPO some slippage is expected I don't want to gently caress my transmission by running the clutch locked.

Basically I'll be at 60% throttle maxxed speed and applying max throttle will just slip the clutch to hell (loud noise) and will not make it pick up speed.

How to fix this ? (is the LSD any good ?)

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

powderific posted:

After picking up a Slash 4x4 Platinum LCG to have something fast and offroad-y, I think that the whole class of SC trucks and monster trucks isn't really for me. I LOVE my SCX10 and XV-01 (and still get a little kick out of the M-05ra on occasion) but the Slash is just too big for bashing around my house and I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I'd expected. And when I do, the XV-01 or SCX10 are honestly more fun. I'd thought about converting it to more of a monster truck but I'm probably better off just admitting that it's not what I'm into and selling it for something else. Maybe something nice and scale from RC4WD or a drift car.

Soo, anyone want to buy it from me? Or have a suggestion for where to sell it and how much? Looks like there's some stuff on the local craigslist so I may give that a go.

Same boat here, I have both a Slash 4x4 VXL and a Rustler and the Slash is not really good for loving around, it sucks on any non-flat terrain, it can't run on grass and sand and it is not fun to drive IMO because it's on rails, wish I had bought a stampede or some kind of buggy, had a kyosho MP6 that was a blast but gas engines have too many cons.

It's still an awesome car that can take a beating (haven't broke anything in mine after nearly 2 years of loving around jumping stairs and doing flips) and is hauling rear end but it's not really a basher, also it is silly to have a dakar style truck that is only performing well on compacted dirt or tarmac.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of Dakar stuff, why has RC Rally racing never taken off? I really hope to see that happen soon. Yeah, I have seen those videos where guys are running full speed behind their cars, but I mean a "normal" r/c track setup dedicated to rally cars. It would basically be a hybrid of an onroad course with a very tame offroad section. I guess a track like this would be pretty niche, but I'm still surprised more haven't popped up. I'd love to buy and race a rally car in an action rallycross type event.

10 years ago I had a few 1/10 nitro cars, a rally clio williams and a CEN 4wd mercedes CLK DTM and couldn't find any track action, all the rage was buggies like the MP6's on dirt track with silly jumps.

I guess proper RC racing is too boring and expensive to be popular with non enthusiasts, also buggies/trophy trucks don't need a large track, most of them are just a figure of eight with a bunch of jumps.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
That winch looks pretty good, does it have enough power to lift the whole truck ?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Yeah to be honest Traxxas VXL ESC's are awesome, and the VXL motors are not bad either

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Vaporware posted:

Is there anything modern that's wacky like the lunchbox or would you be looking at putting an aftermarket van body on a generic truck frame to achieve the monstertruck contractor van look?

Traxxas make a monster van, they are the official monster truck replicas check them out

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I was thinking about the grave digger but in my memories it was a van but looking at it now it's not really what you're looking for.

Check what this guy has done with a stampede http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1931746

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Well stock vxl traxxas like the rustler or slash are extremely fast and very durable (maybe not the rustler but if you don't crash head on it's tough) so when you take them out of the box you have a very good vehicle and most people will not need to upgrade them, also replacement parts are available everywhere and pretty cheap, even for me in EU.

By the way I'm looking to sell my slash 4x4 vxl and rustler vxl (both have the TQI remote and one have the iphone dock thing) because I moved in the city center and have nowhere to use them so if anyone is interested let me know, EU only please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

I can get a brand new RTR slash for almost $100 cheaper than a yeti, and it comes with a (admittedly, not great) battery and charger. I'd be lying if I said the Yeti didn't interest me at all though. I have a couple of local hobby stores I might go by today to see if they have anything in stock/decent deals.

I've been spending the last few days looking at reviews of 4x4 trucks and the Slash seems to be pretty highly regarded with no real negatives other than the basic model out of the box probably isn't suitable for racing, but that's fine by me.

Still haven't plunked down my $$ yet, but that's the way I am presently leaning.

Well, don't consider using the traxxas stock battery and charger, they are just useless but also i wouldn't consider buying one brand new, I bought my slash new and the rustler used and except the shiny body it's not worth it buying new, also most second hand cars have been used only a few times. The VXL system is really good and really strong and require almost no maintenance as it's waterproof. I got the rustler for a good price, bought it sight unseen and except some missing screws, the thing has been problems free.