Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer
Admittedly I haven't read all eight pages of this thread, however, I will share my past experiences in this hobby.

I started racing 1/10 scale buggies when I was 11 or 12 (RC10B3, for those interested), and hanging out at the local track more and more. I stayed in the "sport" for 4 or 5 years before other things began to take up more time, and I've been considering getting back into it, but at this time I really just don't have the disposable income or nearby racetracks.

Anyway, I'd have to recommend the 1/10th scale electric truck class to RC Racing newbies, in my experience, they are by far the most forgiving to drive. I can't say I've experienced much in the on-road land, but I have driven essentially all off-road classes. It is definitely a huge money sink if you start trying to be competitive though...

I'm going to echo what has basically been the consensus in the thread that electric is the way to go for ease/performance/wallet, but nitro is really cool. I mean really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this:

When I left the hobby, brushless was an expensive thing that only track owners ran, and GP3300s were top of the line. Are LiPos and brushless considered standard in open classes now? Are the stock classes still popular? I've always been curious to know how far electric technology has moved on in the past 5 years or so.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Brushless/Lipo is the standard nowadays, they're even roar approved for all applications. 17.5 is considered stock and 13.5 is considered superstock (19t). There is still a bit of a battery war when it comes to C ratings (the higher will have more punch, but its not like before where you had to deal with voltages, IR ratings, etc). Right now the best battery (in my opinion) is the Reedy 35C 5000, this will get about 25-30 mins in stock racing.

A brushless esc/motor kit will run you about 250$~ depending on brand and if you get a sweet deal, and a top of the line lipo (like the reedy 35c) is about 100~ (that lipo is 110), but you can still get lower mah lipos that perform just as well, but don't get as good of a runtime. These lower mah lipos (which are lighter and may be better for stock/ss applications) are about 70$.

It seems like alot but when you no longer have to have 6+ batteries on cycle, going through a set of brushes or more a race night and motors in a few months.

tl,dr (I tend to go on and on about racing :v:): brushless/lipo is a wonderful investment and there is a drat good reason it is the standard right now.

So the stuck class is brushless now too, interesting. I've been wanting to get back into racing, perhaps I will make the plunge again sometime, although it looks like all I'll salvage is my M8 and rolling chassis. I wish there were some more tracks around where I went to school though, some weekends I really could use a break. Heh.

I don't suppose anyone is around the UP area of michigan?

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Frag Viper posted:

Ive never raced it competitively, and dont really plan on it. I know some of the parts are old, but for the most part functional. Id like to get a new speed control unit, and batteries (any suggestions? I have an ancient Novak)

The motor i have in it is new from about 10 years ago.

You should probably replace the motor. From what I've discovered like... one page ago, brushless and LiPo are now the way to go. I was always a big fan of Novak ESCs, but I'm not sure how they are brushless wise.

The RC10 is a classic buggy, if you want to resurrect it, it would be fun, and if you don't plan on competitive stuff, it should be fine. I'd be interested in seeing pics when you're done.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ElJefeDeJefes posted:

Well, I just finished my first RC car.... Factory T4 kit w/ a Novak 17.5 brushless motor and my first custom paint job... good times!

[EDT] huh, my image shack urls are getting changed :/

[EDT2]I didn't realize the ban on image shack, images changed

Looks good, man! I always loved T4s.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:words:

Yeah, it really is incredible how durable those guys are. Were those the casualties after all 40 jumps? If so, that is pretty good.... fast little buggers.