Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Because of all you assholes here getting me all excited about the R/C hobby, my bank account is $400 shorter than it was 5 minutes ago. Since it's your fault, I expect compensation. I take Paypal.

Anyways, I got this and got $12.50 off using coupon code JJDPP1012 at amainhobbies.com

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...k-w-24Ghz-Radio

I even picked rush processing and overnight shipping....I'm slightly excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What kind of run times are you getting on lipo's? I'm just going to be on pavement/grass mostly, unless it gets muddy :)

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if I would just be better off having a couple of 5000mH packs and a ez-peak charger, rather than running LiPo. This thing screams as it is. Never had an R/C truck with a "brake", but once I got the hang of that, I was able to turn without flipping it. And man, talk about tough! End over end flips, lands on the wheels and just gun the poo poo. Amazing product.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I recently got the Venom 4000mah li-po battery, and forgot to turn off and disconnect the battery after I shut off my radio, so the battery drained itself as the truck sat for a few days. When I connected it to the venom pro charger, I get a Battery Vol Error
Cell Connect

I read this can mean a bad connection through the cell balance plus block. Is there anything else that could cause this?

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

Your charger is preventing you from blowing yourself up.

I figured as much. Oh well, I've got to be more of an adult with this poo poo, so lesson learned!

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I bought a used Slash 4x4 brushless, and even with a fan on the Velineon ESC it still overheats and goes into low power mode or safety cut-off. I even cut out windows in the body to help with airflow as well, but we still get too hot.

I was researching upgrades for the ESC and motor and I see mention of Castle Creations combos, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I think that must have been a really popular upgrade a few years ago.

What would you guys recommend in terms of an upgrade for the Slash 4x4 running 3S? Thanks!

Looking at something like this, perhaps?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Cre...PsAAOSweS5eK2tg

Or perhaps this one?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Cre...~gAAOSwZcxdrXAi

Jebediah fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I have so far rebuilt the front and rear diffs with new gears and oil/grease, rebuilt the slipper clutch with upgraded parts to handle the 3S, checked the pinion and spur for binding and there isn't any. Replaced all drivetrain bearings, too. I can even roll the truck on the ground nice and smooth. It's more of an issue with the original Velineon system and running 3S through it I think. It was more designed for 2S which I have 2 batteries that are 2S and they don't cause it to overheat.

I found a pretty good post though on upgrading to a Mamba X system so I am going to give that a shot. There are a few on Ebay I can try. Wish me luck!