Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Was pumped to find this thread after the same quarantine journey it seems like other people are on!

Got bored and bought at 2wd brushed Slash. Loved it and ordered a Yamiya kit from eBay that I did not notice was shipping from China. Got bored again and ordered a Stampede 4wd kit. It was a blast putting together and painting. I think I like the building and painting as much as the driving. Any cool brands to check out with kits other then Tamiya? Like are there smaller then 1/10 rock climber kits or anything like that? Or any other brand that would be fun to build but not be as expensive as a dedicated racing kit?

To say thank you here is my first build.

A few more pics of the paint job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

powderific posted:

I'm kinda out of touch, but I think most/all of the smaller rock crawlers are RTR only for whatever reason. Axial and RC4WD make fun scale crawler kits. I'm terrible at painting, but putting together the rest of the kit is definitely a big part of the fun for me too and I don't want anything RTR cause I don't want to miss out on the building part.

Those both look awesome. I was looking to go smaller to be cheaper, but it seems like that may not be the case. I may pick up a Tamiya cc01 kit for a cheap project.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I think I am going to pause on a crawler then. I think I am going to build a Tamiya Lunchbox Mini. Do I need to know anything about ESCs? I have bought batteries and servos before, but never an ESC. What kind of poo poo do I look for? Like there are 60a, and stuff that I legit do not understand.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Somewhat Heroic posted:

When it comes to build kits the options at this point are:
  • Tamiya which produce great scale licensed bodies or weird quirky stuff.
  • Axial, which is all crawler stuff and the "standard" for excellent performance/scale.
  • RC4WD has a few kits. REALLY cool and scale stuff, not great performance but it gives you the "little engine that could" feeling when you drive them.
  • Element RC - new scale crawler brand by Team Associated. They just announced an RTR "TrailRunner" (4Runner) IFS/rear solid axle which means in three weeks the kit will be announced.
  • Obscure brands like MST, CrossRC(no) GMade(DEF NO). Kind of good, parts are more difficult to source, mixed performance.
  • Traxxas. Eh. It is traxxas
  • Some cool drifters are available in kits.
  • Top of the line race kits. Unless you are racing I wouldn't get one because they are pretty useless outside of the track.

Don't overthink the speed control thing. There are normal brushed type motors and brushless. If you are using brushless then you really need to think about the amp rating. If you are using brushed motors basically any speed controller will work because brushed motors these days are not very high output. If you have a high output motor it is brushless and then you can do the research needed.

What are you needing the ESC for? I will give you an idea of what you need.

Here are some photos from this weekend. We did a hike up in the mountains to get outside. I haven't rebuilt my VS4-10 still because I am not motivated but my son wanted to take his crawler with us so I packed it up with some batteries and grabbed some pics.

IMGUR VIDEO LINK ~10 seconds long

Yeah. I need to decide if I
A) want a 1/10 crawler (then for sure a kit like Axiel/RC4WD/Element rc)
B) want a small crawler (probably a Scx 24)
Or C) build that Tamiya Lunchbox Mini kit.

I like the building as much as running, but I don’t have a crawler or anything small. I will probably eventually get at least A or B and C.

And you guys are right about the kits seeming cheaper. I have found the kit for the Lunchbox Mini like $81, but by the time I add all the esc/receiver/bearings/battery/servo I am at around 200. And that’s with cheap stuff. But the same thing would happen if I bought a $300 crawler kit, correct? I would end up closer to 400 probably.

Would a Hobbywing QuicRun 1060 work for a mini lunchbox if I go that direction?

Also that Jurassic Park Jeep is loving amazing.

Thanks for all the help. This is a super fun hobby, it just jumps up in difficulty quickly from “don’t mistreat lipos” to “what amperage do I need in a esc”.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

This is a great conversation. I am taking your advice and getting a 1/10 crawler for my first instead of a 1/24. I am just trying to go cheaper with out being lovely. Is there a good crawler that is amazing at crawling, but not scale? It seems like looking scale is a huge part of crawling, but I don’t care either way?

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 2, 2020

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Somewhat Heroic posted:

you are 100% talking about the RTR Axial Capra. That thing will kill lines and crawl like a monster. Plan on the steering servo taking a dump and replacing it but otherwise just get one and have a blast.

This is actually super what I am looking for. Looks bad rear end. That $450 price tag is a bit over where I am looking to be. Maybe a trx4 is not a horrible idea.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Stimulus check ended with me buying both a SCX24 and a TRX sport kit. I hosed up the paint, but I’ll post pics when I’m done.

I come asking for advice. I think I am ready to try a brushless motor. Are there any cool brushless vehicles that are around $200 that are worth checking out? I would be ok with 1/10 to 1/14 scale? I have found the Nitrorcx stuff that seems pretty cool, but I have heard parts are hard to come by. I found a Team Associated Reflex 14b that looks dope. And that’s about it.

The only other thing I debated was to spend that cash to put the LCG kit and a brushless motor in my first 2wd Slash.

Anything I am missing? Any big red flags on any of those?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I was looking at those as well, but had read they were not a fun build. I went with an SCX24 instead and have not regretted it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I have been searching everywhere for an in stock Kyosho Mini-z AWD to try and drift with. I Amy bite the bullet and order from Hong Kong. It sucks that all the extra Covid time also means Covid supply issues.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I will check those out!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nerobro posted:

AsiaTee's just released form 1:76 scale cars.

.......... They're awesome. $55 and totally worth it. 30 minute run time, proportional control, and can be hooked up to "normal" radios.

Now I need to buy a third, and convert one of my Bit Char-G cars to ~proper~ lipo use and full proportional.

This seems super dope. I love little cars.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

an AOL chatroom posted:

Finished up my Orlandoo Hunter OH35P01 build. Definitely going to go back and weather the bumpers and tidy up the electronics when I get a chance, but like others have said, it's pretty capable for a tiny little thing.

How was the build? I have heard they are a bit of a bitch. I like building more then running, but have been scared off of those the 20 times I have looked at them.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thats good. The idea of having to drill and soldering is what I now remember scared me off. Looks dope though!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I got super into small stuff this quarantine. All of these are in the 100-200 range. If you want a crawler (going slow over everything) go with a Axial SCX 24. My kids love theirs (and so do I). More of a racing feel go with a Losi mini-t or the new mini-b that just came out. They are mini track truggy/buggies and insanely fun on dirt and pavement. If you want more of a truck style those LeTraxes are cool, but for that much I would maybe go with an Arrma Granite Voltage. I own 3 Traxxas cars and love them, but the best bang for your buck ridge now in a big 1:10 scale is Arrma imho.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

uwaeve posted:

I think this is what I'm going to do. The older one really wants to build and this may be the start of a whole fleet so it makes sense to start here. If they get bored with it, I'm more likely to want to reverse inherit a crawler I think anyhow.

I agree here too. I am trying to balance availability, cost, and features etc. but right now I think the base is going to be either a TRX-4 Sport Kit or Chassis Kit or SCX10iii Kit.

Can someone tell me if I have this roughly right with regard to the features of each? I know nothing comes with battery/charger.

SCX10iii kit comes with the dig and 2-speed transmission (I understand I need a micro servo and TX/RX channel for each beyond the 2 needed for steering/throttle). Dig locks the rear wheels together AND (for lack of a better term) to the chassis, so the rear tires drag (seen some video).

TRX-4 Chassis kit comes with (maybe mediocre) electronics, front lockable, rear lockable diff, and 2-speed transmission. From the assembly and operating manual I believe I understand why it's 5 servos but only a 4 channel transmitter (the diffs are tied to a single channel, open/front/both rather than front and rear being independent channels). This is what I would think of as the more traditional locking like on my tractor where I can stomp a pedal to lock the rears together for traction at the expense of, well, not being a differential anymore.

TRX-4 Sport kit looks like no electronics, single speed transmission, no differentials (both look like options later, 60 for 2-speed guts, 150 for differential guts/servos).

From my crappy math it looks like with a couple batteries and charger, some random prices I picked based on some thread recommendations and my own idiot intuition (but all apples to apples) for required electronics, these all look to be about $100 apart:
$470 for the TRX-4 Sport Kit
$580 for the TRX-4 Chassis Kit
$680 for the SCX10iii Kit

Does that somewhat pass the sniff test? In the apples to apples I think I am assuming a 3-channel radio/receiver so I know I would have an extra channel on the sport kit (or room for 1 more function with one of the two upgrade kits), and not enough channels to run both extra functions on the SCX10iii kit.

With the grain of salt that I also got into this poo poo for the Pandemic... I had this same conversation and got the Trx-4 sport. One of the ideas I saw online was that for a first crawler simpler is better. Easier to build, maintain, and run. I love mine, and had a blast building it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Bouillon Rube posted:

I haven’t touched an R/C car since I was a kid but have a sudden urge to play with one. Are there any decent RTR kits <$100?

Maybe something like this?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-28-tr28-2wd-brushed-truggy-rtr/ASC20158.html

That’s pretty cool, but I think the cheapest Arrma you could pick up is probably the play.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nerobro posted:

I mean, it's just a pan car. :-)

Speaking of tiny cars, Turbo Racing released a update to their 1:76 scale car. Instead of worm drive, it's got a spur gear, and braking! It's a little bigger.

Also, my TA08 shipped.

drat you! I don’t need 2 of these.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Posted this on Reddit, then I remembered this thread and trust you all more! I have been playing with my RCs lately and have a hankering for something new. I have a few things from the beginning of Covid (Traxxas Slash, TRX-4, Stampede 4x4, LC Racing EMB-TG, Losi Mini-T 2.0 and a drift Kyosho Mini-Z) but would like to add something fun. I think I need a buggy? And I like small scale in general, so I was leaning that direction. Trying to be under 200 if I can.

I mostly use them on asphalt with a bit of sand/dirt/grass, so more bashing-ish vs any racing. I have been thinking of 4 wildly different things.

-Mini-Z or Carisma Gt24b. Cool looking buggies, but 1/24 scale makes it just about inside only I would assume?

-Losi Mini-B. Love my Mini-T, but is a Mini-B different enough to scratch a new car itch?

-Team Assoiated 14b. Looks bad rear end, but have the same thought as the Losi’s. Is it different enough from my EMB-TG?

-Arrma Typhon Mega. A bit over 200, and 1/8 vs smaller. But… it’s a buggy. It’s different. Never owned an Arrma and have seen people gush over them (but mostly 3s and 6s).

Anyone ran any of these? Or am I missing anything?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Sxc24 is bad rear end and too slow to break all the time. My kids love theirs.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nerobro posted:

1/24 and 1/76 scale saved driving for me. In the space of one 1/10 scale car, I can have a drift car, a crawler, and a couple nice road cars.... And they're ~good~. Like, the closest thing I have to an excuse for the turbo racing cars, is they don't have suspension. The 1/24th scale stuff? Depending on what you get... they even have dampened suspension!

What do you have of these small scales? I’m always up for spending money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nerobro posted:

I'll get you a post before the end of tomorrow. I suppose a video.... It's been a while since I did the youtube thing

I have the Drift car with Gyro:
https://www.amazon.com/FLYCOLOR-Tur...c7-93deae8f9840

I have the "mini":
https://www.amazon.com/Yamix-Turbo-...deae8f9840&th=1

And I have the "race car":
https://www.amazon.com/Havcybin-Con...deae8f9840&th=1

The drift car and Race car are similar, but the race car has rubber tires, and no gyro. They have "direct drive" drivetrains, so drive like a normal r/c car.

The "mini" has a worm drive drivetrain so.. braking isn't a thing, it just kinda stops.

In 1/24 I have Mini-Z and a SCX24. I've owned the Losi micro crawlers too. I can't add much to those. They're just.. "small hobby grade r/c cars". No suprises, just small. And awesome.

That said, video forthcoming.

Nice! I think I have all of those! Good choices!