Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Spatule posted:

Ok that's even worse, I want something compact. Although the Rustler isn't that much bigger.

If you want compact, the 1/16 is the way to go. The 1/10 car is much, much bigger in person. I have the 1/16 E-Revo VXL, and it's pretty sturdy. I've only broken it once, when I drifted it into a brick wall at 20+ mph. And it just broke the lower control arm. $5 later, it was better than new.

Whichever one you get, LiPo batteries are a must. Mine has over an hour of runtime with LiPos, and about 20 minutes with the stock batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Jebediah posted:

I'm wondering if I would just be better off having a couple of 5000mH packs and a ez-peak charger, rather than running LiPo. This thing screams as it is. Never had an R/C truck with a "brake", but once I got the hang of that, I was able to turn without flipping it. And man, talk about tough! End over end flips, lands on the wheels and just gun the poo poo. Amazing product.

I wouldn't recommend it. Run times, peak power, and charging times are all better with LiPos. The prices are similar, so why would you go with heavier and worse batteries?

Both me and a buddy of mine bought 1/16 brushless Revos, I got LiPos and he got huge NiMH batteries. He has to run them in series to get the acceleration I get in parallel, and he still gets 15-20 minutes less runtime than I do. On top of that, he spent twice the money I did.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

You Am I posted:

Most Lipo only chargers are pretty cheap, especially since they don't need the discharge or balancing functions that Nicad and NiMH needed.

LiPo most definitely needs balancing unless you only use them for short runs.

The Turnigy charger I got was 25 bucks or so, and has programs for all types of batteries used in R/C. It's the same price as a NiMH-only charger, does balancing of LiPo and LiFe cells, discharge/charge cycles and all that jazz. I think it even has a NiCad mode.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Keep in mind that the suspension of most of these trucks is nonexistant.

Just like in real life.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

The Turnigy charger I got from hobbyking for $25 has worked well for five years. It does charging profiles for whatever battery type and balancing for lithium cells. They seem to be worth it for the money.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I’m really thinking about getting back into this. I had a 1/16 e-revo vxl like 10 years ago and loved it. What’s the contemporary rig? I’d rather have a 1/10 and maybe building a kit.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Ive really enjoyed my Arrma Senton, fast and super robust. Looking to maybe get a buggy or truck next like the outcast.

Cool, I’ll check it out

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I’m really looking hard at the Redcat Scout II and Wendigo, they look like quality cars. The only real r/c car I’ve had is a Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL on 2S LiPo. I don’t expect a scale crawler/bouncer to have the same driving characteristics as one of those, but I think the Wendigo will be closer? I really, really like the looks of the Scout though, and it is cheaper. Decisions, decisions...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

I took my crawler out to conquer the snow trails behind my house. I really need to unfuck the body, the odd angle between the bed and cab looks terrible in this picture. It's mostly because the Sendero body on an Enduro kit chassis the chassis mounts don't quite line up right.

Looks pretty authentic for a certain generation of trucks, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Got a no-name 1:16 crawler off of Amazon for the kid and he's over the moon. I can't believe the battery lasted for 2 hours of backyard climbing. I got myself a redcat gen8 v2 with a 3000-something mAh lipo to "play with him" that lasted the same. Ridiculous fun.

The little "Toyota?" just won't quit. It's geared fantastically well, top speed is maybe 5 mph but it's impossible to stall. Perfect for a kid because it won't go fast enough to break things and has enough power that it just churns through the pine straw and grass. Holding the throttle down without any concern for reality is ok, we only stopped to teach him how to clean debris from wrapping around driveshafts and wheel hubs. It was enough that he didn't get tired of it, he just got tired.

I forgot how big 1:10 vehicles were. My only r/c experience before was a 1:16 e-revo which is an altogether different experience, but I enjoyed the hell out of this. I let him drive the big car one time, he flipped it 4 times and almost took out his own legs. A positive experience.