Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hey all, looking for some impartial advice. I'm working at a model shop in the UK, but I can't get the right signal to noise to work out which R/C is gonna be the best for me to start with.

We stock Thunder Tiger, Ansmann and Tamiya, but the three main options I'm eyeing up are:

Ansmann Hot Rod (not the brushless version) all in would be around £170

Tamiya TT-01E Golf (with LED kit) all in all about £160

Tamiya Subaru Brat (the re-re version) all in all about £180

Brat really catches my eye, but I think it wouldn't be as easy to get hop-ups/ spares / new shells on it compared to the TT-01 Golf, and obviously the Ansmann is appealing for "charge and go" aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pretty much. The store is doing a semi-regular RC night, both for people getting into it and for somewhere for people to run, so I'd be running it there too, but mostly just messing about anywhere it's safe.

One consideration for the Bratis that it's on/off road, and whilst my garden has a fairly even slabbed area, it has a large, even, regularly cut lawn.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The re-issued it in 2007, apparently, my store just asked to get one sent in and got lucky.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I don't really fancy a mini if I'm honest.

We stock a few TT-01's but a lot of the other R/C's are prebuilt.

Those options I listed are the best choices I have.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TT-01's are a pleasure to build and if value for money yet cheap kit is what you're after, it has my vote.

Many people will say "Don't buy a TT-01, it's nothing but slop" but if all you're doing is driving yourself, it's cheap and fun. Only upgrade I'd really reccomend pre-build is a metal prop shaft as it can tighten up the chassis a whole bunch, but the TT01 I'm running now is full stock and still a lot of fun. (Honda CR-Z TT-01E model, first produced last yar so new as can be.)

If I was buying now, I'd likely look for a sale on a TT01D or get the F150 SVT Lightning.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Got a guy who fancies a summit as he wants something with good speed and to crawl occasionally.

I think he'll get bored with the summit. Any suggestions?
(friend in work already suggested the scx10 with a motor upgrade.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

powderific posted:

The proportions are a little weird, maybe due to the width? Still pretty neat though. I like it.

Thunder Tiger's EB4 with the WRC Mini shell sort of has the same thing going on. The Mini shell looks too short rather than too wide though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I love my ECX Torment, which I think retails for about 230 stateside? The new v2 is upgraded and upposed to be waterproof too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Can't find it in the thread and I don't have search on the forums.

Can someone repost the pics of the Jeep Wrangler body with the weathering please? Want to show a colleague.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cheers everyone, it was the commanche I was looking for. Glad to hear it's still looking good!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

e; sorry, stupid tablet

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Anyone in the UK:

Tonight, several interesting price changes are going through the tills in Modelzone. From tomorrow morning, the following Tamiya RC's are reduced:

Midnight Pumpkin Black Shell was £135 now £40
Violet Racer was £135 now £40 (purple Super Fighter basically)
Expert Built Blackfoot III was £280 now £85
Hornet now £55
Holiday Buggy now £45
Nissan GTR Drift (TT-01) now £100
Sand Scorcher now £150 (If you can find a store with one in either unbuilt or working condition.)

Some of these, the first three, are available on the website: http://www.modelzone.co.uk/radio-control-rc.html?manufacturer=11339, whereas others are instore onl and stock dependent. Some other stores may have other reductions on Tamiya, but it will depend on what they have (I can only speak for what stock the Glasgow store has.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, thanks for this, my local store had a couple of them in stock. I wish it was the Lunch Box that was reduced, though...

You can probably get an old Lunch Box shell cheap enough though, and it'll pop straight on the Midnight Pumpkin body.

Most of the reductions were on kits that were already reduced, but the big three were exclusives the company had, as it says on their site, so I'm guessing they just wanted rid of them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Falken posted:

I had a go of a Heng Long Tiger I tank and enjoyed it. Is this brand okay considering the low price?

Assume something will break.

Normally the smoke machine or the BB firing mechanism but basically assume if you want the full feature set, you'll need to fix it yourself.

Great looking though, and good running mechanism.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My search-fu is failing me: can anyone link the web link of the comparison of different wings and stuff on model f1 chassis?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

You Am I posted:

I'd be checking the F1 thread in the on road forums on RC Tech. I don't think there is much of a difference between them

there was a link ages ago of someone testing and comparing the effects of different angles or wings and stuff on f1 rc, thats the link I was looking for rather than just straight comparison for different wongs themselves.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, the Torments stock tyres are supposed to be cross-surface tyres, meaning they don't break as much as off-road ones would on tarmac, but aren't great for either, but they do the job okay.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So I have a bunch of NiMh batteries that I haven't used in about 2 years. They were left in a good condition, and some of them had hardly been used in the first place.

They all seemed to be dead upon trying in an R/C, but putting them into a charger, the charger reported them as charged fairly quickly. (Maybe 10/20 minutes on 2amp for a 2200 mah battery for example.)

Are my batteries lifetimes going to be shot to hell? Do I need to replace these? Or can I restore these if I give them full charge discharge cycles?

(N.B. I do not have a charger with a discharge feature, so the best I can do is run them till they die.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Saw this in the space thread in D&D, thought I'd cross post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kibner posted:

Hah, I appreciate the work that is going into your truck. It's looking great.

Don't forget that Prime subscription comes with free access to their video and music streaming services and their book service. If you watch streams on Twitch.tv, it also gives you access to premium membership and a refreshing, 1-month sub that you can give to any streamer. There's other stuff, too, but Prime is good for more than just free 2-day shipping now. :)

But Core Gamers love free 2-day shipping!

For real though, even if you don't generally watch twitch.tv, ask friends if they do, as it's literally free money for you to give to a streamer, just because you have Prime.