Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Just decided to get into RC cars a few weeks ago, bought a ARRMA Senton 3s. Been pretty fun so far, but I hated to stock design on the shell. Bought a clear one and painted it based off of the old Toyota racing scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
^^ thanks guys, having a blast so far although I’ve started noticing that my shocks are leaking. Need to figure out how to rebuild or replace them.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Nerobro posted:

replace.... I can fully suggest the 3 racing or Yeah racing shocks. Rebuild... sure, why not. O-rings are cheap, but might only be part of the answer.

When you do it, you want to get some Noleen SF3 for the shock seals.

Would these directly fit onto a Arrma Senton 3s blx? I've been reading up and it seems only a few types of shocks would fit without having to do modifications.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Elblanco posted:

Any advice for a good off road car for a new hobbyist? I want one to drive around in the small wooded trail my family takes walks on a few times a week.

I eventually want to race and such but that's not possible now, though I do want to get my feet wet so a kit isn't out of the question. Also are there any additional things I need to get as well?

Im looking into this as well, hearing good things about the Axial Capra and SCX10s as well as some of the traxxis trail trucks. Anyone with more experience able to provide some thoughts on these?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

That new SCX10.3 kit looks great TBH, and with a brushless setup you can skip the gearbox.

Any idea when this will be available? All the websites are sold out or on preorder, with the virus situation will the supply be backed up for the foreseeable future?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Spatule posted:

They are priced insanely high in Europe (460€ for the TRX4 kit) and I despise their guts. drat, I hoped for something else with 2 speeds, portals, lockable diffs etc.

sounds like what your looking for is the new scx10 iii, has everything you just listed.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

wallaka posted:

I’m really thinking about getting back into this. I had a 1/16 e-revo vxl like 10 years ago and loved it. What’s the contemporary rig? I’d rather have a 1/10 and maybe building a kit.

Ive really enjoyed my Arrma Senton, fast and super robust. Looking to maybe get a buggy or truck next like the outcast.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 9, 2020

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
^^^ Thats beautiful.

Just got myself a ARRMA Notorius, god drat this thing is crazy powerful and pops wheelies like its nothing. Having a blast running it in fields, looking forward to taking it to a skate park for some air.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gvibes posted:

hey all. My kids beat my stampede to poo poo, and it appears that a front shock is bent/stuck. Is there a particular seller or store or manufacturer I should be looking at for replacements?

E: front suspension seems pretty hosed on both sides, so anything that would make this thing more tolerant of being driven full speed into objects would be appreciated.

Not sure about shocks, seems like there are plenty of traxxas parts online including amazon that you should be able to find good replacements. I found ones that had the right lengths for my arrma Senton and it worked well.

For toughness upgrades T bone racing makes a nice set of bumpers and upgrades for all types of vehicles including the stampede

https://tboneracing.net/search?type=product&q=Stampede

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 18, 2020

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

evilnissan posted:

Been wanting to get back into RC for a while now and got two Arrma Granite Voltages during the covid spring, one for me and one for my 7 year old daughter and for the money they are a blast.

Wobbly Cam warning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imduFirDgzc

So much has changed since the 90's, the future is amazing, Lipo batteries are amazing.

Now im debating on switching mine over to a 2-3s brushless setup and hope the diff and drive cups hold up enough to have some fun or just go for a brushless RTR.

The last kit I built was a Lunch Box back in the mid 90's.

Do it, not much difference between the brushed and brushless version of the granite!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Yea thirding this. If you want something robust, fast, and fun right out of the box Arrma is the way to go.

I’ve got the smaller Senton as well as the Notorious stunt truck, both are a ton of fun to run. Really wanted the Mojave but was sold out at the time.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

moctopus posted:

I got to drive it and had a blast.

It will roll very easily when turning, but I think that's got more to do with me being gentler with the steering and throttle. Kind of funny how stable it is if you are going backwards though.

I had another question though. I'm getting bugged for gift ideas for the holiday season.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tools or nice-to-haves for someone new to this? Under $50 but much better in the $15 range?

Thanks!

Get a nice RC tool set. Helps out a lot when trying to do upkeep and repairs. Also a battery measure you can hook up to your vehicle that’ll let you know when you’ve hit a certain voltage, good way to keep your batteries in good condition. Also a fire proof box or bag to store lipo batteries,

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

T-Square posted:

What’s the new hotness in stadium/short course trucks these days? Like everyone else and their mothers, I used to be pretty into RC stuff back in the day and have been itching to get back into it. I had a few different cars and trucks, but the stadium trucks were always my favorite. Can’t remember what I had about 10 or 15 years ago, might have been a Traxxas something or other but I had a nitro powered one and then later had the same exact model in electric and loved them both.

My friend and I both live in a neighborhood that has a large grassy utility maintenance field bordering one side and it’s got me itching to rip some stuff again. I lust for a screamy nitro powered stadium truck again but will more than likely just go with electric for ease of use.

Not sure if its the new hotness, but the armma short course trucks are a very good value for performance. I've got the 3S Senton and am eyeing the Mojave.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Went to the Little Sahara sand dunes in Utah this weekend for Paddlepalooza (event held by the local RC "club"). It was a good time. I put two full tanks through the VEKTA and had a blast with some friends driving big cars. I have some more clips to upload, but here are a couple easy ones.

My Baja Rey on paddles. I only have one battery pack but ripping this for 12 minutes at WOT on 3S and sending it wherever possible is the best.

Here is someone with an ARRMA Kraton 6S hitting a casual triple back flip. The one he did before was butter smooth, this one he still stuck the landing with ease but it wasn't as tidy.

DIRECT IMGUR VIDEO LINK removed sound because all you hear is wind noise.

This is a screen grab from the local Facebook group of someone that recorded me driving my VEKTA on the Formula Off Road timed course. Pretty hilarious because no paddles, heavy truck (50+ pounds, 10 pounds are tires and wheels alone) running a tight course made for little electric guys. The dune is so steep it is impossible for a human to climb.

DIRECT IMGUR VIDEO LINK

I've got the same paint job on my Armma senton. :D

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Sloppy posted:

Decided I should get a lipo bag now rather than later and now I'm seeing these Bat-Safe boxes also. Anyone used one and have thoughts? Not concerned about price, especially relative to the value of my garage.

Speaking of which, I assume it's not safe to store batteries in a garage with no ac in Texas?

Is it better to store them in a temp controlled environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Has anyone heard of or had any experience with Traction Hobby? They've got some quality looking ultra realistic rc kits. Expensive though.