Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
So I have a dilemma.

I'm looking at getting a good .21 race engine for my buggy this year. I have a Ninja MR.21 that I ran two years ago. That thing hauled rear end and screamed like a champ. But in one of my races I had a nasty wreck, got some dirt in the engine and worn out the piston/sleeve in a snap. It's been sitting in a box ever since, I replaced it with an OS .21 VG last year to save money and it was crap. It was dog slow compared to the all the high end motors a lot of other guys are racing.

Now here is my dilemma, I'd like to get a good motor, but I have a budget of $200. Should I buy a new motor for that price, or should I replace the piston/sleeve on my Ninja? The piston/sleeve runs about $130 (This engine was like $400 brand new,though I bought it used). From all the local guys I talk to they say I should also replace the conrod as well, except this particular engine is discontinued and I can't find a new conrod anywhere. I've never replaced the piston/sleeve on an engine, so I'm wondering if that is worth doing? or should I just go with a new engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

Replacing your piston and sleeve is a breeze. I'd definitely go with that.

I tore it down last night, and despite being full of dirt/sand everything looked ok other than it spun like a top with no pinch. I think I will go this route. If it runs like new then I'll have a top performing engine for cheap.

Frobbe posted:

edit: i believe in pictures, here is one of a body painted by Steve Zielke, for sale in denmark!

Zielke is one of the best painters around, and one of my biggest competitors. But man, the guy sure does great work.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Working on that is more like working on a go-kart than an rc car. Cool stuff!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

After I replaced about $100 worth of worn and broken parts on my Jammin buggy, bought all new electronics and a nice pipe to go with my rebuilt Ninja engine. We have no local 1/8 scale off road this year, and I'm pissed. We got a new race director at the local track and he told everyone he was planning on running 1/8 and 1/10 scale. But a couple of weeks ago he brought his crew out and rebuilt the track. And by rebuilt he completely demolished it. He says he doesn't give a poo poo about 1/8 scale because SC is the only class that he enjoys racing. So he build a SC track for him and his buds.

Looks like I'll be only running my SC10 this year. Kind of sucks because I don't run electric and the only stuff I have is the stuff that came with my t4 when I bought it new years ago. And James Woods, man I'm jealous of your setup.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Holy crap! I love that idea. I think I'll be going to harbor freight tomorrow.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I have a tendency to bring way too much crap with me to the track. Even when I'm just practicing (3 times a week). I'd like to get a box like this and put all the stuff for my nitro car in it. That way I only need to bring this box, my starter box, some fuel and my car. I'll keep my radio, temp gun, glow plug igniter, and carb adjustment screwdriver in it.

It's kind of hard to tell from the pic, but can two radios fit easily? I use my 2.4 for my buggy and on-road car. But I'm still using an old fm radio for my sc10. The receivers for the Futaba 3PM are ridiculously expensive.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 29, 2010

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Well, I just had my first runaway. In all my years of RC I've never had a car take off. I swapped out the throttle servo in my buggy for a servo with some more torque for more braking power. When I reassembled my brake linkage I didn't use loctite because I'm an idiot. I was running it up and down the street adjusting the high speed needle when it took off wide open. I have bald worn tires so I turned sharply and it spun, and I drove it right into the curb. I ran my rear end over and killed the motor. Apparently one of the little arms that holds the brake linkage in place came undone, and when I gave it full throttle it moved the linkage in just the right position that it jammed the linkage against the gas tank and stopped the servo from moving which held the throttle wide open. The buggy looks alright, but we'll see if my engine is toast. (luckily it was my OS VG not my ninja.)

Scary as hell.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

krushgroove posted:

The engine is probably fine, on a big track those things are at full pelt for several seconds, don't worry.

Next time: wrap a thin rubber band around the carb arm and something solid on the car, so if anything works loose or the radio loses signal the carb will shut down to idle speed. Even if you get an electronic failsafe this is a good thing to do.

Yeah, it's all good. It still has great compression, and because it was still running so rich it didn't get that hot. I actually have a little spring that returns the carb to closed, but the way the brake linkage got jammed nothing could move.

I got super lucky. I checked everything over tonight and nothing was bent, broken, or damaged. The only thing I lost was a small set screw.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

Where's my 4wd version AE!?!?! :argh:

No kidding. My next SCT will be 4wd, the handling is so much better.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Tomorrow we have the first on-road race at Miller Motorsports Park. Should be a fun event. We had the season opener Wednesday at one of the local tracks, I TQ'd and took 1st in the A-main. Gotta keep it up tomorrow. Should be a fun day!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Had the first race at Miller Motorsports Park on Saturday. It was a ton of fun, but we had some computer problems and it turned out to be a long day. I got sunburned and a bit sore after diving on a runaway 1/8 scale. Luckily we had the red and white barriers, otherwise that car would have caused some havok. Just behind the drivers stand is the kart track. When the karts would go off track they kicked up a ton of dust, and with the dust went the traction.

The view looking past the track.This photo was taken pretty early in the day so there wasn't a lot of cars there yet. The porsche club of America was having a get together, there were tons yet somehow I didn't get any pics.

Here is the 2009 body and the 2010 body. I didn't get it done in time to run it, so I ran last years body (Which is still holding up great). Most of our races will be at night this year, I wanted to go with some brighter colors.

Here is some video of the 1st qualifier taken by someone at Miller.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=383874299141

It was a fun day, and Miller has an awesome facility. Can't wait for future races there.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Awesome man! Cool to see it all mounted up. Glad you like it.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Congrats man! Sounds like a nice race.

I just finished my move to Atlanta, Georgia and can't wait to get out to some of the local tracks. My throttle finger is getting itchy.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I've been a nitro guy for a while, but I'm tempted to start going all electric to save myself the hassle. I'm thinking about putting lipo's and a brushless system on my Christmas list. But then again, nothing sounds better than a strung out .21 buggy flying down the back straight.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Not going to talk you out of it.

If you have never raced, go with a slash. It's pretty durable and still a racing contender. Besides, if your just starting out at racing your going to wreck, a lot. When you get to the point that you drive steady and you feel the slash is holding you back, sell it and go with something else. I run an SC10 and I'm not a huge fan of traxxas as a company. But I'll always recommend the slash to people just starting out at Short Course rc racing.

Speaking of which, anyone recommend a good lipo charger? I'm mostly a nitro guy and run nimh in my sc10 because it's the only electric I run. But I don't think my batteries will last another season and it's time to upgrade.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 13, 2011

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

What kind of track are you running on? Still running the stock tires?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Well, I'm jumping in all electric this season. Selling off my Jammin x1-CR buggy and my Kyosho IGT 2 on-road. After upgrading my sc10 with lipo's and a new ESC (Still running a brushed motor), I decided to give 1/8 scale electric a try as well. Going with a Hot Bodies Ve8 running a Tekin Rx8 1900kV. I know I'm going to miss the sound of nitro, but hopefully the ease of electric will make up for it. I'm keeping my nitro engines, starter box, and all that. Just in case I switch back next year.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I love my SC-10, but it's not as durable and tough as the slash. If you just starting out the slash is the way to go. Once your fighting the limits of the truck, move up to something better.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Dude, did you end up moving back east? It has been another lonely winter with no sedan rug racing :smith:

Yeah, out in Atlanta. I didn't do any racing or painting at all in 2010. But I'm aching to get back out there and slap down some paint and blow dough on tires. I really wish we had some on-road though. We had the best on-road out there.

needknees posted:

I saw this charger and batteries listed earlier in the thread...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=7028
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9172

what else would I need to make the switch to lipo? I figured I'd just get this charger since a decent one at the hobby shop was more than 3x as expensive. Looks like I need some different plugs as well?

Before you order that battery give your track a call and see if they have any battery rules. My local indoor track only allows ROAR approved batteries even though it's not a ROAR track. Just one of their safety rules. I'd also get something with a little bite more than 20C. Like a 35C and up.

Also, you'll need and external power supply to run that charger. Depending on what you get those don't have to be expensive either.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Awesome man! Now the addiction starts.

I just barely finished putting together my SC10 for this race season. Running a Tekin RS ESC, 19T Komodo Dragon Pro, Futaba 3PM, and some airtronics servo out of my 1/8th Inferno GT that I sold yesterday. I also got my new body. A j-concepts raptor. Be painting that up next week.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Can't go wrong with the airtronics, I personally run a Futaba 3-PM. Been running futaba since the beginning and love the way they feel. I'm not a big fan of the DX2S. It feels very plasticy. Besides, I'd get something with 3 channels. If you ever race something like 1/8 nitro or electric with mechanical brakes you'll need 2 servos, a battery, and a transponder.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 8, 2011

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I dunno man, guess it depends on how much you use that stuff. I find that I never set stuff like that up. I just turn it on, adjust endpoints, and drive. I never mess around with any fancy features. But some people depend on that stuff.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

YES!! Christmas came early(Or late, didn't get myself anything)! Can't wait to get it together and on the track. I've only ran 1/8th nitro, so I'm interested to see how this electric compares. From what I hear, quiet good.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 16, 2011

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

So, I've been talking on IM with needknees lately, and it's hard not to go drop one of those new Tekin short course motors and an RS in my Slash 4x4. Right now I've got a Novak 13.5 and a Sphere TC in it. Anyone got experience with the longer can motors. More importantly, how much power should I drop in my 4x4? I think the 6.5t is probably more than enough.

Hell yes! That would be an awesome combo. I haven't ran the Tekin Short course motors, but the RS is the coolest ESC ever. I put an RS with an Epic D3 17.5T (ROAR Class) in my SC10 last week and it screamed. Hook that thing up with the hotwire and it's incredible. I was able to tune the crap out of that thing and make the motor behaves the exact way I wanted. Big part of the reason I went with the Rx8 in my buggy.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

TremorX posted:

I went to my first off-road race Saturday at Phil Hurd Raceway in Savannah.

Oh nice! I may be heading down there for the 5th race of the 2011 Georgia Championship Series. That is if I can get my Ve8 together before Saturday for Round 2 at Dalton. I already missed Round 1 and if I miss another one it won't be worth going.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Well, looks like I'm going to miss the 2nd round of the GSC series this Saturday. I finish putting my Ve8 together and was going to install the electronics tonight. I opened up my Rx8 box only to find my on/off switch wires shredded. Gotta send it back to Tekin and who knows how long it will take to get fixed/replaced under warranty.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Take the servo horn off and check that it isn't stripped. It may have enough grab to turn when there isn't much drag, but setting it on the ground and it slips.

eames- That really sucks. I took a chance and ordered a 4s lipo from them about three weeks ago and it arrived within four days. But I've heard lots of horror stories about their customer service. I figured that I could spend $175 and buy a battery from Protek or take a $40 chance with them. Luckily it arrived, but there was no paperwork, no receipt, nothing. I'm still nervous the batt will explode in my face.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

If your going to do lots of big purchases go with the super savers club at tower hobbies. I got $100 off of my Ve8 with a Tekin Rx8 1900kv motor with their club discounts. It cost $10, but well worth it.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

We have a point series starting tomorrow at one of the local tracks. Figured it was time to toss out the busted and old body and paint a new one up. And let me tell you, it's been a long time since I've painted.

wanted to run the same colors as my GT2. Also will paint my Ve8 in this scheme.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

My charger has a storage mode so I always use that. Charges/discharges it to 70%. Actually just got back from a race and it's on the charger now. I don't really know what the deal is, but most manufacturer's recommend it, so I do it.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

TremorX posted:

Since I'm going to Psycho Nitro Blast this weekend, I kinda need it now...

Man, I wish I was going. my replacement Rx8 from tekin is suppose to be here Wednesday, but we are in the middle of finishing up our game at work and I'm super swamped. It's too bad it's not a month later.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Man I hear ya! Finally got my Ve8 with the Rx8/1900Kv combo together yesterday. HOLY CRAP it's fast. But like an idiot I ran my brand new tires on the street and they are now bald.

Also, welcome to the addiction club.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Man that sounds awesome! But you also make me sad. This is THE race to make in Georgia, and I missed it. I went to the local track for a club race tonight and they were keeping everyone updated on how the track regulars were doing at the PNB. Sounds like so much fun. Nothing better than passing the rest of the pack with a busted rear end car. And dude, you made it off like a bandit with those buggies! You going to any of the Georgia Championship Series races this year?

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 14, 2011

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

It's not set in stone, but I'm really hoping to make it. I've never been to Savannah and I would like to head down there sometime for a mini-vacation. And what better reason than for a race.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, cancel that battery. I own 2 batteries total, one 2s 5000mah for my sc10 and one 4s 4500mah for my 1/8th buggy. I race a ton and that's all I need. Lipos last a while and can be charged must faster than the old nimh.

Btw, for anyone running a turnigy battery. Make sure you balance charge that sucker. When I first hooked mine up one cell was way off. Balanced it and all is well with the world.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Your going to love that setup! I'm running a Ve8 with the Tekin RX8 system and it hauls rear end. Ended my nitro days. Sadly I bought it last summer and the two tracks near me closed up the next month. Still haven't raced it.

Jealous of the RC8.2e.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Ugh, so I caved tonight and picked up a car to run VTA at the new local onroad track.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Nice and clean! Perfect for racing.

And I hear ya about diffs. The touring car I just picked up has the hardest diffs I've ever had to put together. Ugh, whole car uses hex screws, except the diffs use tiny 2x6 phillips screws. Snapped one right in half putting it in. Now I've got to go replace the stupid case.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I think I'm done with novak products. Been running Tekin only since switching to electric in 2010. I've had one problem, and that's when my Rx8 esc had a nick in the on/off switch wire when I opened it. Sent back just the esc, had a brand new unopened ESC in my hands within a week.

Novak on the other hand....UGH. I'm running VTA this summer and our track requires the novak ballistic 25.5 motor. Within 10 minutes the sensor board stopped working. After talking to other guys at the track it seems this is a common problem because it happened to ALMOST EVERYONE. So I email novak's customer support, and nothing. I give them a call a week later, talk to the tech on the phone and send him my info. Now, a week later and no update. So I call again, they have no record of talking to me at all.

I have now missed 4 point series races, and that's why I run Tekin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I use industrial strength fasteners like these http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Heavy-Duty-Fasteners-Inches-RFD7091/dp/B00347A8GM/ref=pd_sbs_op_3

That way I can easily remove all my electronics for cleaning. And it adds a bit of cushion in the bumps.