Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Nerobro posted:

it's not likely the esc. esc's work, or don't. they don't do anyting in half measures.

I'd be checking my motor... or diff.

That's not entirely true. I've had esc's burn out on a specific function. Like it only makes the engine go in reverse but no forward motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Phat_Albert posted:

Slashes are rad, parts are everywhere, and tons of people have them. The slash essentially created RC short course racing.

Yeah, but it's popular so it's got to be hated now by all the cool kids. /sarcasm

It's a great truck.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

open24hours posted:

Although I have nothing to compare it to, the whole thing seems pretty flimsy. I guess I'll have to wait and see how well it holds up.

This is the motor it uses http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53068

The Tamiya TT-01 with it's bathtub chassis is probably the most durable on road RC car there is. They are tanks of cars. Probably the best overall car you can buy. Not the best in any single category other than durability but the best overall.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VibrioCholera posted:

Minor question - while I was playing with it the front wheel drive went out for a little bit and came back later no problem. Reason? I'm not sure but this is like maintaining a car but somehow more expensive if I keep this up. :)

Stripped diff gears maybe.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VibrioCholera posted:

It's running totally fine right now. Got the rear carriers installed and all is well. Upgraded to aluminum or whatever. Thought I had the toe in screwed up but a quick search says the aluminum carriers alter the toe in over stock.

The motor flexes a little bit but I'm assuming it's supposed to have some play for torque. I'm just being paranoid. I may take a video but one of the gears seems noisy. They're all relatively easy to replace, yeah?

Yeah, relatively easy to replace.

Even if the gears are stripped a little they can go in and out of operation.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Putting those 1/10 HPI drift tires on the 2WD Slash is an awesome time and everyone should try it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VibrioCholera posted:

Car is still in one piece but I have an intermittent problem:

I don't have power to the front wheels all of the time. It's extremely obvious in grass since it hardly drives in tall grass without 4WD. I wasn't really that bad on it last weekend either. Was just flipping over curbs in my front yard. I do know the stock plastic pieces break and are ultra-cheap and meant to break within reason. I KNOW I'm not THAT hard on it. (I've watched people throw these things off cliffs practically.)

The drive shaft doesn't spin all the time so hopefully that narrows down my problem. When I went to go play with it today after work I saw just the rear wheels running and the shaft was not spinning. This occurs in the air and on the ground and occasionally it spins again but not all of the time. Quick googling leads me to a few things but wanted to narrow it down with you guys before I ran off and bought 4 different parts.

The gear that is connected to the drive shaft in the rear is stripped. Or the rear diff is stripped. If both rear tires spin when the fronts are still then it's the gear on the shaft.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VibrioCholera posted:

You consider new shocks or upgrading to an aluminum shock tower cap? Then again it's probably real cheap to just keep replacing those.

Personally I keep losing random screws in the suspension. No idea how these are falling out without stripping but my car takes some nice tumbles.

Loctite dude.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

TremorX posted:

Screws into metal, yeah.. into plastic, not so much.

Worked for me for the past ten+ years. Especially that tape stuff.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

(((k))) posted:

Gualtiero Picco Passed on 5-15 -11. Apparently he was into nitro RC tether racing. I have never heard of it but it looks cool / dangerous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555aeQlPprY

Sorry to hear anybody passing but that poo poo is dumb.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VibrioCholera posted:

Those guys are way too easily amused. How is that even fun?

IT'S A SPORT!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Phat_Albert posted:

This thread shouldnt be on the second page!!

Since this is the everything R/C thread, I just finished a GWS Slow Stick build with the express purpose of carrying my GoPro camera.

Maidened it today, still have some CoG issues to work out, but its more than flyable as is.

A shot from the maiden:

Do you download the footage when it lands or do you use the video to fly it?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Wojcigitty posted:

So we can post our RC airplanes now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gtJTJsGUXE

150CCs :aaaaa:

Is that yours?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Adam Drake. That fat smug bastard. SUPER DOPE!

That's a cool truggy though.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HoWSeR posted:

hi,

Id like to try RC on-road drifting and from the comments here looks like a Tamiya TA-05 is suggested. Anyone suggest a kit that I can start building with and where I can find it for a good price online?

For price and performance with RC drifting, I would look at the HPI products. However, I love Tamiya products but I would say get a TT-01 because it's much simpler compared to the TA-05.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QC44VYJkUQ

This a pretty acceptable use of an RC trailer IMHO.

Edit: in other videos the pickup truck is actually a pretty sweet drifter in its own right.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Laserface posted:

So HPI ha shown off gas (as in not nitro) 1/8 size engines in a few of their products at the Nuremberg toy fair. cheaper, easier to find fuel is probably the only thing going for ICE engines in the hobby now. What other benefits is gas going to have over nitro? Will we start seeing 4 stroke make it to surface vehicles, and then turbo and supercharging? How much headroom is left in combustion engines for hobby vehicles? Lipos, brushless have made EP vehicles fast, clean, and cheaper to run than GP, so I'm not sure HPI should have dumped so much research money into new fuel types for small engines.

Discuss.

Probably way easier to keep tuned than nitro.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Treytor posted:

Yeah it is a bit puzzling how the good kits are $500 - $600 while most of the RTR kits are around $300 or so. I realize the good kits are I'm sure far superior quality and what you'd start with to win races and stuff, but it seems like there's a niche of affordable kits that isn't being filled.

Thanks for the tip on the Tamiya TT-01 kit. That looks like a good place to start. Interestingly enough it looks like they don't have those kits on amainhobbies website...

There are quite a few of them available from Tamiya directly though.

I've built seven TT-01s over the years. I can probably assemble that car with my eyes closed. I know tub chassis are kind of old school but drat I just love that car.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Treytor posted:

Thanks again for all the feedback. What about the XRAY T3R? A bit pricey but reasonable I think. I realize it's a very barebones kit but I'm also okay with that. I like the idea of researching and picking out everything that will go into it, even down to the wheels. I definitely want to go lipo / brushless, and the tt-01 kits seem a bit outdated and aren't built with that in mind.

The TT-01 is outdated but it works with lipo and brushless just fine with no hassle.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I know I almost seem to post exclusively about the awesomeness of the TT-01 but seriously, it's a great, great chassis.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Torn Quad Jones posted:

I could not think of a better place to post this. Custom 1/10 General Lee on a stretched duratrax vendetta chassis I love that it has body roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxBzl5c5rqo

That car and video is awesome but his price quote at the end is a little crazy.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yeah, but for $350, gently caress HPI's price. I mean, you can't say that poo poo isn't inflated. Just look at the price of their replacement bodies on the short course trucks.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

krushgroove posted:

I don't know what the price of the 5SC body is in the US, but I recently paid £35 for a 'rally game body 1/3rd the size of a 5SC body, with no decals, no masking and a really crappy finish (the mold wasn't polished, there are sanding marks all over it). I know some people complain about HPI prices (I don't see how, once you've seen XRAY prices) but if you put a clone next to the real thing I think you would see how the HPI is worth more.

Is that rally body HPI brand? If not it just kind of proves my point.

Here's what they go for in the US: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAZNJ&P=Z

In store can go for another $100.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm going to virtually beg you to not part with your $350. I work with the worlds largest Baja retailer and that is seriously a road you don't wan to go down. I love the 1/5 crowd and platforms a metric ton. People that get into should have nothing but an awesome experience. Buying a clone car is not a way to have a good experience into pump-gas cars. While the majority of the HPI parts will fit, not everything will. I will never be able to give you a guaranteed 'yes, this will fit your car' etc. should you ever call the same way I have to tell others.
If you want a Baja, find a used one, check local Craigslist/classifieds or the HPI baja forum buy/sell forum.

This isn't really a good reason not to buy one. Most of the parts do fit, the ones that don't you can make fit and if that fails, you can track down actual parts for your model. Especially if you checkout hong-kong based online retailers.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Powershift posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between invoice vs list price on the HPI 5b ss where you work?

I doubt he can/will tell you that.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Aceshighxxx posted:

I do believe you guys when you say that HPI makes a better product. I guess I just got excited that maybe I could have a product that is almost as fun for a lot less money. I'll probably pass on it because after doing a little more research, the shipping is another $80, then once you add Tx/Rx and servos you're going to be probably between $500-600. And that is about what a used HPI is going for it seems.

I would definitely get the used HPI. Watch out for over used ones.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:lol: okay. It's almost like it's your living to sell these products so knockoffs would be bad for business.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Laserface posted:

ha, $300 for body panels on the losi?

I will never ever own a 5th scale, I guess. :(

But quality!!!!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

krushgroove posted:

I'm well into Silly Internet Argument territory, but by that logic your Slash is about 2 bucks worth of plastic with about 5 bucks worth of wires and metal. It takes 3-4 guys *weeks* to make a body mold, a couple more weeks to make the graphics, the body guys have to repair molds, vacuforming machines are about $100,000 each (more for Baja-sized ones)...my point is it's not '50 cents worth of Lexan', sorry.

Maybe the people running the hobby business should take a business class because if they lower their prices by 10% they could probably increase sales 20%. They could work the ration until they had the optimum cost benefit. They could also look at selling the kit for a loss and make up in profits. Many manufacturers do this across all industries with success.

Bottom line is that if they keep everything so price exclusive, they'll never open up the 1/5 market the way it should be. Gas engines are easier to tune and maintain than than nitro and they're way more fun than electric. The success of them should be a no brainer but the manufacturers wont fully get behind it outside of them being niche market. And that's why people turn to knockoffs as they should until the big names give it their full attention.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

kuffs posted:

If you think a $800 1/5th scale is expensive, you've clearly never touched anything above 1/10th scale.

Where's there an $800 complete 1/5 scale comparable to the HPI? And we are talking about rc cars. Nobody is talking about illuminati or whatever, please.

Most people aren't gonna race a 1/5 scale buggies. There aren't many races going on for that scale. So the knock off stuff (especially ones that can use HPI parts) will do perfectly for 95% of people. People need to realize that as you decrease your scale the more likely you are to break parts when you crash or just do jumps. If the large companies would realize this the consumer could get a quality product for less money and the companies could maximize profits.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

While I agree, I think it's great because it reduces cost. The handling characteristics are unique to each class.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I was being tongue in cheek about the business class comment. I'm sure they know way more than I about running a large scale business.

Yes, it is a luxury hobby but that doesn't mean they should shamelessly gouge prices. In the end, I think if they didn't do that they'd actually make more money on 1/5 scale. And I'm envious of you if can just drop about $1500 on a 1/5 scale. I make good money and I have to save up to drop that kind of cash.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

krushgroove posted:

The RC10 Worlds Edition (black tub) was my first racing buggy after having a Grasshopper - every now and then I try looking them up on eBay but I haven't found one at a reasonable price yet.

I had one of those! Loved the poo poo out of it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

is that a lunch box? :swoon:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey Mr. UPS man!

Aww yea. I can't wait to run this later tonight!

Send me a bigfoot shirt please.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

This is what it's all about. Amazing cars, control, and even track. Love it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

InitialDave posted:

So, anyone here like R/C? And crawlers? And Lego?

Retrofit all that poo poo into the unimog and you got a deal.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really wish someone would make a carpet short course track. I think that would be the best of all worlds

I've seen indoor ones but the track looked wood and plastic. The video was more entertaining than most dirt SC vids.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Before I even read the sentence about the erector set I was like Holy poo poo! Erector Set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

As awesome as Tamiya is, almost all of their kits come with absolute bare bones stuff (obviously they have some kits that come fitted out but they're just crazy costly).

You're crawler looks awesome.