Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
hi,

Id like to try RC on-road drifting and from the comments here looks like a Tamiya TA-05 is suggested. Anyone suggest a kit that I can start building with and where I can find it for a good price online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
some time ago I asked about on road drift cars, I went ahead and got the tamiya TA05 VDF, Just finished putting it together.

whats inside,

Futaba 3pm-x with receiver
Savox SC-1251MG
Hobbywing XERUN 10.5T/S3300Kv + 120A ESC
Tamiya TA05 Aluminum Bulkhead x 2
Eagle Racing C-Hub 8° Camber 10° Caster Blue Tamiya
Eagle Racing Tamiya TA05 VDF CounterSteer Kit 1.84 Ratio Bolt on CS
Tamiya Titanium screw set
Tamiya front and rear Carbon fiber Damper stays
HPI T drifts

Still have the body to do and some cleaning up around the wires, just tried it quickly on what space i had and its so much fun.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Wow, that almost looks like a TA04 but with the spur/pinion on the other side. Strange setup for a TA05, usually they ran the motor on one side of the chassis, like the 415.

I assume the motor was moved for better drifting? i'm still new at this hobby so i'm not really sure but I have seen other drift chassis built with the same motor setup.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

SCX10 SPOTTED! That Tamiya looks sick! The local hobby shop I used to work at has one in stock and it looks AWESOME! I would totally get it, but just don't want to spend that much on a car I will slip and slide with. I would consider the Hot Bodies Cyclone D-SPEC since parts would be more easily accessible to me.

haha glad you noticed the SCX10, loved it the first day I got it, wife wants one now, really need to grab some metal links for it. Those hot bodies look awesome! and yeah now I want that Datson. holy crap that Losi 5IVE-T is huge! how was the drive?

Starting on my next project now, should be done soon, I live next to a desert so i'm gonna make a dune bashing truck out of a 2wd Slash. Should have the rest of the parts in next week.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
here's the link for the reissue of the Bruiser.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58519

MSRP: $1,295.00 :(

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Just got a Tamiya M05 Pro for my birthday, so gonna get one of those hpi datsun 510 bodies.

I also picked up one of those Losi Ten SCTE rollers for my own birthday gift, this makes it my 6th RC car since December.

I think I have a problem.....:blush:

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 7, 2012

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
that's just awesome! hurry up and put it on your truck!:banjo:

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
all the parts installed and the body painted.

Recently found some new friends and a 1/8th track, so now I want to get as much as i can out of it. Thinking of getting a low center gravity chassis. :)

now its just taking the time to collect parts for my new Losi. I hear those Tekin pro4 4600kv motors are a good idea to start with.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
thanks for the offer, I kinda have my heart set on a pro4 though, love me some 4 pole action. :gay:

just got my LCG chassis for my slash installed today.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
M05 Pro done, what a fun little build, so fun while checking the shipping of my motor esc combo on ebay I decided to get its value in hop ups. Once they get here I get to strip it down and rebuild it all over again! :v:

last weekend after we finished bashing around the off road track, we went to the parking lot so some of the guys can try their new hpi cup racers. Man they are fun to drive, so much fun i found and won one on ebay. Comes with an Exotek chassis but also all the original parts.

I really need to stop looking at ebay. :(

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

krushgroove posted:

If you just like to build stuff and won't race, you might want to look into things like the rc4wd.com truck kits or the Tamiya vintage re-release kits. Lots of good stuff out there :)

Put together two tamiya kits so far, m05, and ta05 vdf. Their kits are well done and I had a great time putting them together so far.

if you want a fun build car that's cheap in 1/10,have you looked into maybe a tamiya tt01? Or if you want something for bashing on and off road maybe a tamiya df03ra. Nice thing about them is price and once you complete it you can look into upgrades /hopups to keep improving it.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Try towerhobbies, I never shopped their myself but I hear from other goons it's a great place to shop online as well.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Had this Losi Ten scte around for a month now, Finally got enough parts collected to start it.

Finished painting the body, and i put the paint mask off center but ah well.

Started on the electrics, should have the servo and the TLR kit tomorrow.

Does anyone run one of these? any tips would be great.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

TremorX posted:

I've been reasonably successful with mine over the past few months. The HD lightweight outdrives all around are a must-buy, as the stock ones will start to notch or break after a few races. I run the same motor you've got; use a 13T pinion on a tight track, 14-16 on a larger one.

Our track is a bit loose and dusty but grooves up pretty well, and is fairly tight with only one decent-length straightaway. I run 27.5W in the rear shocks, 32.5W in front. For diff oils, 3-5-2 is awesome - plenty of quick acceleration and tons of steering both on and off throttle. I've ran 5-7-3 too, but in this truck it's too stiff. Terrible off-power steering and your tires will look like pizza cutters going down the straight. It's more ideal for larger tracks with more straights and bigger jumps (worked great at Psycho Nitro Blast). Keep your ride-height fairly low (I go with arms level in the front, dogbones level in the back). I cut the side parts off of my rear bumper because mudflaps just drag and the bumper tears the body up.

I've also got the M2C tapered-hole shock pistons and swear by them. It really settles the truck down on bumpy surfaces and lets you barrel through them with ease.

Also, you're probably aware but if not - take off the battery tray and look underneath - there are small clips for you to run your ESC wires through to your radio box. Neatens it up a bit and keeps the wires away from spinning parts. Definitely try to grab an aluminum servo horn at some point.

Since November I've consistently had the fastest Losi on the track, and I've only been beat by a guy with a Durango, and our resident Fast Guy's SC10.

Thanks for the tips man, I did buy the HD lightweight outdrives, and the TLR kit. I should have them tomorrow and then i can start installing everything. I do have the 3k and 5k diff oil but i don't have any 2k, ill see if the store has any.

Thanks for the info on the battery tray I was gonna route them under there but I might have missed the clips.

EDIT: are these the pistons you are talkign about?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...hock-Piston-Set

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 17, 2012

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Awesome, my track is a run down dusty 1/8th track, these will come in handy.

the fan fits just right, if you tilt it away from the center diff you get better clearance . I have not zip tied it yet just to make sure there are no issues when I get my 13t pinion tomorrow. Ill post up some closer shots of the fan mounted if you like.

TremorX posted:

Yep, that's them. They're fantastic on bumpy and blown-out tracks.

BTW, how well does that Castle fan fit on the Pro4? I want to put a fan on mine but haven't really looked into what all fits.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
here are some closer shots of the motor with the fan now zip tied, got the electronics pretty much done, just got to bind it with the radio. Two more diffs left to fill and the TLR kit to install and its ready to go.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

TremorX posted:

Nice! Here's mine:

Man that's an awesome, wish i could afford an RX8. Are you running the stock chassis? I like those chassis braces as well, must get me some of those.

finished everything today, tried it with the test pack, hole poo poo i'm gonna have some fun at the track tomorrow.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
the weekend I took the losi out on the track for the first time, I just came from a modded 2wd slash to this and it is AMAZING! Handles so well, takes the jumps with ease. I'm gonna take that castle fan off, its not really doing much for cooling down the motor, maybe a actual heat sink and fan would do a better job.

We are now rotating the track time on the weekends for off road and on road now so its time to clean up and get the cup racer and m05 ready to go for this weekend.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Just installed the new RPM front bumper/skid and rear skid plate for the Losi, they remove the mounting from the front and its all supported from the 4 mounting screws on the bottom.

still waiting on the MC2 pistons, aluminum servo horn, also bought a integy motor heatsink to try see if it will cool down the Tekin pro4 better than the castle fan I had in it.

had it out again last weekend, starting to get the hang of jumping it, man its so much fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJAbefzhCLw

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

TremorX posted:

Nice! From the looks of it you've got more than enough steering... you might want try a little thicker diff oils, 5-5-3 might work a little better on that track, especially if you power out instead of in on curves. It should really help you launch on those areas covered in astroturf, too. With the extra acceleration and if you can get the hang of gyroing this truck around you should be able to clear that triple in the middle with it.

Since switching to the Pro4 4600 from a Novak 550 4.5t, I've had to watch how much throttle I use going on jumps because I kept overshooting everything. I think the setup I've got now is about as close to perfect for me on the track I run as I can get it... I ran a 34.1s lap last race, 2 seconds ahead of the field during quals. I choked in the main (lap traffic decided to play bumper cars instead of yielding to leader) and wound up 2nd.

awesome, ill try the 5-5-3 setup, the worse thing about that track are the small pot holes on almost every turn, its also why you see it on the outside corner sometimes. the tracks not really maintained so theirs not much we can do about it. The best corner for really trying anything its the second corner from the long jump/ramp in the front. been mostly trying to go fast then break before the turn or drift it for fun.

I use maybe 1/3 or half throttle on those jumps, the pro4 is insane, smooth and fast. I'm having esc problems right now with the hobbywing, the lights flashing which also means its turned off the sensor. Might have that solved (forgot to turn off timing on the esc) and I also have a extra sensor cable to try.

man I wish we had real races here, but right now its only me and a friend with a Ofna sct10. Better than nothing though as at lest we have run racing each other.

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 3, 2012

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Best current MT continues to be the Stampede 4x4

what about that 1/8th hpi savage flux?

The super clod buster reminds me of my old toy red monster truck rc when I was a kid. Would love to have one, but i'm kinda eyeing a 1/8 electric buggy, maybe a losi 8ight or a ofna nexx 8.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I had a typo in my quote, I meant AE SC10 (not SCX10).

Yeah, our stock class just means you have to run the stock motor or a 17.5 brushless. I liked my SC10....but it didn't really handle that much better than the Slash, and I would snap parts on it from time to time. I had some horrific crashes with the Slash (flat bottoming on pipe w/ railroad stake sticking out) and the fucker just wouldn't break. Even watching the pro class guys race the Short Course trucks makes for a ton of bangin'.....but that's why I love the class!

Speed Energy is now a sponsor of Bigfoot, so I'm trying to work a connection for them to hook me up with a Speed Energy-edition Slash truck :smug:.

Slashes are fun, if anything does break you can add RPM parts to make it bulletproof, Loved modding mine up.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

I have a M03, earlier model. The M series chassis, once you are using a Lipo battery, are almost maintenance free and nearly impossible to break (c-hubs in the front suspension are the weak point).

The M05 has a lower centre of gravity, so won't traction roll when you go through corners too fast, unlike with the M03.

This site has great info on most M Chassis: http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index.php

just starting using the m05 on the new track we have here, its a blast to drive, front wheel drive is really different. Fun build and a great starter if you want to drive minis. So recommend mini.net for info as well. worse thing of the minis is they only take nimh shapped batterys, so you need a special shaped lipo.

Welp....I just listed my SCX10 w/ all my bodies & radio for $500 on several forums. That will give me the budget to get a SCT and deck it out with new radio & electronics.

loving racing....I try to quit but the urge keeps coming back.

Awww man not yer scx10 you really enjoyed that thing. :(

TremorX posted:

No poo poo, I just dropped about $700 today on a Hot Bodies Ve8, Tekin T8 1900KV, and a couple of batteries. Electric buggy is blowing up around here and I want in.

We been looking to start some 1/8 electric buggy racing here this coming winter, let me know how the Ve8 goes, still looking at what buggy to get myself.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

1/8th e is a loving blast. You won't regret trying it out... other than paying for tires, hah!

I've had a few different e buggies and they've all had pros and cons. I started out with a Tekno v4 converted MBX6. Great car, built like a brick shithouse. Easy to drive hard, very stable at the limit. Later ended up with a Kyosho MP9 converted to electric and partially upgraded to TKi2 spec. Nimble but still easy to drive, not quite as sturdy as the Mugen was though. Awesome motor mount. Parts prices are INSANE for Kyosho, that's a huge turnoff for me.

I've now got a RC8.2e and I'm pretty drat happy with it. It's definitely cheaper to run than the MP9 and performs just as well (if not better). The suspension is shockingly plush, and it handles great. It can almost be too edgy depending on setup, still playing around with it.

However, if you're waiting till next winter to get a 1/8th e car I'd take a VERY SERIOUS look at Tekno's soon-to-be-released EB48 I linked to on the last page. It's their first full car but it looks extremely well laid out, and was designed to be electric from the get go. The way they packaged everything in there is brilliant. The driveline is near perfectly straight, and the weight bias is designed around electronics rather than a light nitro engine.

It's also extremely light... In testing they've gotten full ready to run cars down to 6.75lbs! I think this is going to be the buggy to beat for tight tracks, and the videos I've seen of it on a large outdoor track is also very promising.

Here comes that addiction part again... I'll probably snag one to try out after they've been on the market for awhile to work the kinks out :shobon:

haha yeah since your post of the Tekno EB48 I have been considering it, I was also looking at the Losi 8ight as well as the Ofna nexx8.

one of the locals here already has one of those new Team Durango's the DEX408? I think.

Another track buddy is looking at the Ofna Nexx8 as well, it would be nice to have something different.

Yeah, I love the truck....but I want to go racing again! Crawling was a nice "palette cleanse" (and a ton of fun), but I'm looking to race again. My budget right now won't allow me to own several models like the old days .

I'd love to try out 1/8 electric. I know it's totally blown up here. Our summer racing track used to just be 1/8 nitro (and still predominantly is), but there is gigantic class of 1/8 electric now, too.

shame man, love crawling when I wanna chill. I can understand the racing bug, my 2wd slash was for dune bashing at the local desert here. Once I found a track I could not stop putting money into it to make it race as best as it could. Sadly with no other 2wd trucks to race with and me trying to keep up with the 4wd rcs on the track I upgraded to the Losi Ten scte. :)

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 11, 2012

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Yeah, what did me in was driving by our outdoor track. Here are some shots of the two big offroad clubs.

During the winter, this is the hot spot. Normally 2 national races per winter, and club racing with 100 cars on a slow day. It's called SmacTrac. During the summer they race a short program on Thursdays to leave Saturdays open for the club below.

This is the awesome St. Louis Dirtburners club track. Normally 2-3 national races per season during the summer.

I also have 2 carpet tracks, a killer dirt oval, and a more laid back "basher" offroad club also in STL. 10 years ago there wasn't much, now it's just insane.

I do have some question that perhaps the racers in here can answer. I got out of racing because I was sick of people taking it too serious, and I was also frustrated because I was rarely shown the same "politeness" on the track that I would show other racers. I ALWAYS yield to leaders, and try and pass/give the right way. I would routinely get plowed, etc. I think I'm going to just go by the "I'll give you one chance to let me by, and the second time I'm going to plow through you" way of driving.

Never done it before, but I think it would alleviate the frustration of being "the nice guy" on the track. How do you folks handle it?

edit - That Datsun is loving sweet!

Dam, you have awesome tracks! we just have a run down 1/8th track, but rumor has it they might fix it up a little!

haha thanks, its not the best paint job but I love how it turned out, the local crew I race with want to me get another body cause they don't want me to ruin the lovely Datsun. So I ordered one of these.

its a Pro Line Mini Nitro Socal Panel Wagon, just trying to figure out what colors to use :D

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

I'm leaning towards to a Castle SCT 3800 system after hearing good things....and it's much cheaper than a Tekin/Viper system. I had a Castle brushless system in my mini late model when I used to race dirt oval, and won many a feature with that thing.

Would the castle be decent for my XXX SCT?

i use a castle mmp sct 3800 system in my 2wd slash, never had any problems with it, was still tweaking the punch settings before i started working on my losi.

the esc switch can stop working, i had to splice the cables together.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
glad to hear yeah enjoying it, did you get your oval body back yet? looking forward to seeing it. Love that raptor body as well.

needknees: sorry been afk for a few, I already have my heart set on that new Tekno kit.

TremorX: getting used to the 5-5-3 diff setup for the losi, i'm starting to get used to the difference, not sure I like the M2C pistons (using 30wt oil). The truck just don't seem to jump as nice as it used to. Also not sure if its from the the shocks being so soft but one of my front tires got sliced pretty badly. Possible hard landing and the body rubbing the tire? waiting for the replacement to come in the mail.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Aceshighxxx posted:

I've gotten my Tamiya M-05 kit put together and painted, and now it's time for electronics. I was thinking about using Traxxas parts since that is what I'm familiar with. Would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by doing this? Here is a tentative parts list:

Team Orion Rocket Pack 25C 4000 mAh Lipo
Stock Silvercan
Traxxas XL-5 ESC with low voltage cutoff
Traxxas 2075 servo
Traxxas TQi 2.4 GHz transmitter and receiver

I'd love to hear suggestions for better parts to use. I really have no R/C experience beyond my two Slashes.

don't see any problem, is this for stock racing? You are gonna love driving this thing. Check out rc-mini.net for any m05 tips, its what I been using to slowly hopup mine for fun.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
I been thinking about a pede 4x4 roller as well, how do you plan to set it all up?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In non-scaler news, I pulled the trigger on a Pede 4x4 rolling chassis. Cant wait to be pulling wheelies again! I like my Slash, but I'm not racing anymore, so the bashing isnt as fun with it.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
:woop: my buggy is finally here.

Can't wait to start putting it together.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
man that's awesome, what kind of water proofing have you done to your scx10? I really have to bring my scx10 home to get some waterproofing done.

reminds me, before I went home to Canada I went to a drift competition here in Doha with my Tamiya TA-05 VDF.

I won second place while a friend of mine with a golden VDF won first.

Before this I used a Tamiya TT01 on pavement, the VDF is soooo much better.

Small vid of practice on the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd4YizaT248

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

Oh help me god. I just ordered a 1/12th pan car.

:ohdear:

woah how many RCs do you have now?

Sweet drifting video, I could watch that poo poo forever....it's very hypnotizing.

Haw yeah drifting is very chill for me, its the reason I got into this hobby. Really nice drift cars are not cheap but man they are so worth it. Although 3racing are soon releasing what could be a really great cheap drift chassis for around 150 bucks.

http://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=18

Looks like a cheaper version of the MST FS-01D. or a updated clone of the Tamiya TA03F

oh Somewhat Heroic, I have to agree with yeah, I enjoy everything about RC drifting and the level of detail some people put into their drift cars is amazing. Hell have you seen some of the scale tracks? its nothing short of awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTZKKrI1kQ

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 28, 2012

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
lookin good tuna, friend here at our track has one with LRP electrics, its the reason we all went and got 1/8 buggies. still putting mine together.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Yes they are. Proline sells a JK 2 door body to fit the Dingo wheelbase, and a 4 Door Unlimited body for the Honcho wheelbase.

That 1/8th scale looks like a beaut. If I ever decide to race again I should just bite the bullet and buy one of those things.

Just don't sell your scx10 for it. :(

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
just about done, its a fun kit to build. There have been problems with the first run of the kit but they have been all addressed on the rctech thread.

front wing flexing posted:

This is what it's all about. Amazing cars, control, and even track. Love it.

I know, wish I had something like that locally.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

tuna posted:

Cool stuff, newly built 1/8 kit buddy :c00l::respek::c00l:

What tires are you going to be running?

sup bro, I'm using AKA CrossBrace Med Evo Premounts.

lovely deals about the pinion, group of us going 1/8 because our friends DEX408, he had diff issues but nothing about a pinion eating one of his lipos. :(

Just about done with the EB48, just waiting on the metal servo horn and pinion.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

Sucks about the battery... always always always use blue loctite on your pinion grub screw and really crank down on that sucker. The torque of 1/8th is pretty insane.

Also please fix your camber :ohdear:. Aim for ~ -1 to -2 degrees of camber. You've got positive camber right now, that will really affect how the car handles.

HoWSeR I'm insanely jealous. Definitely picking a tekno car up in the near future... looks like it's going to be an rear end kicker.

Haha Thanks man, its thanks to you that I now have this buggy. Worst thing is its so hot right now here that I need to wait for a few months to even try it on the track :(

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
needknees: I think you and I are the same, Just as i finished ordering the new 3racing Sakura Sport cs Drift car I saw this.....

I could not stop myself from ordering it, it just looks to awesome.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

Haha it is a sickness... I swear! I just put my name on the last Tekno car in our LHS... damnit.

Crawlers would be a bunch of fun to mess around with but that's just another whole segment of the hobby I know nothing about, lol. Kinda like this!

Great sickness to have, until you check your credit card. :cry:

You will have so much fun building that Tekno, still waiting on my pinions and metal horn; should have it ready to go for the track on Saturday. Crawlers are just another part of the hobby that just takes some light reading to get into. Ordered pretty much everything for the R1 to go more of a bashing/rock racing style and still crawl pretty good, it will even have 4wheel steering. Just need to find a used mamba max pro for cheap.

Also that Pan car looks awesome!

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Muahahaha, you're gonna love it. Check the out drives in the diffs with the pins to make sure they are not to snug. Make sure you also check Teknos site for amended mannual info regarding shims in the diffs as well. when you get to Bag I there are 4 button head screws, M4x18mm (tkr1448) these need to be m4x16mm to stop any binding issues. You can use a 1mm shim or just take 2mm off the screw.

Loved putting it together expect those problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
hahah yeah, once I saw your pic, first thing came to my mind was "hes gonna use them shims" :downs:

Glad you liked the build, I have the traktion drive and a 18t clutch bell for it with a 2050kv motor but sadly using it with the stock spur will turn it to mush. Until they get metal the spur in stock ill just use some pinions that I just got in the mail.

oh the stock plastic servo horn is garbage, most people replace it with a Hot Bodies Aluminum Steering Servo.