Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug
Whoa, RC Goons!

Click here for the full 1600x715 image.

My Baja 5B. The first time I saw one I knew I had to buy it. And I did. It has since been upgraded with various (homemade) aluminum parts, and a 29cc motor. The torque is simply insane. Very fun to drive, and will automatically transform itself into mangled garbage every half hour or so.

Click here for the full 1600x473 image.

Paddle tires are cool, and do a great job in loose sand. For firmer terrain I use the MX Nightmares from hostile hobby.

Click here for the full 1600x723 image.

Looks like I could use a front sway bar! The mass of this car leads to a very different driving style than with 1/8 scale.

I've also got a losi desert truck with mamba brushless and lipos, a couple of mini-t's, a rc18t and a super crawler. Crawlers are very cool, except they have a tendency to implode, and spare parts can be difficult to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Nice photos there Astrolite. Looks like something from Mad Max :)

Thanks, my baja was the original RTR which came with flashy orange covers and purple anodizing. The covers just kept sucking up grass and dirt, and the anodizing was a little too :gay: for my tastes. Caustic soda stripped off the anodizing in seconds. Now if only I could somehow add rust..

VV heh, cool VV

Astrolite fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 7, 2009

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Brushless/Lipo is the standard nowadays, they're even roar approved for all applications. 17.5 is considered stock and 13.5 is considered superstock (19t).

Does the number of turns translate directly to kv? I've never seen a brushless motor listed by number of turns, but that may be because I don't look at the race-oriented stuff..
Also, lipos are literally the best thing ever. I want to replace all my tx/rx batteries with lipo. They're just so drat convenient.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Was that Thad driving the 5T? We're good buddies, he sent me this link to Baja 5T sand paddle tire test footage a few days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEMYXzznqQ

I am SO getting these, along with the new 5T Hostile MXT tires. Don't have a 5T to put them on, but I figure the 5B will look cool with taller rear tires.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

It seemed very obvious to me when I was at the store to get a shovel today, that I had to try and make a harrow for the baja. Thus a rake was bought, and a quantity of shapelock (the white gunk - it's a thermoplastic that melts in hot water) was used to fix it to the back of the car. The pokey bit is for attaching extra weight.

It did sort of work, actually.. Except that the harrow tended to spend more time above ground than in it. Even with 5 pounds extra weight attached. Are there any RC tractors with three point hitches?