Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I've been a goon for years now, and have been racing r/c cars & trucks since I was 10 (27 now).....yet I've somehow never come across this thread until now.

A couple of the trucks I've had over the years. I'm lucky that here in St. Louis we have a gigantic R/C scene. We have an indoor offroad track that sees about 150 cars/trucks on ANY GIVEN WEEKEND. I was an avid racer forever, but I'm come to find that many of the racers in this area are major dicks, so it burnt me out.

After getting married & having a baby, I got out of the hobby for a couple years, but I just got roped back in. I had always wanted to try R/C rock crawling and I've alway dug the really scale stuff....so I purchased an Axial SCX10 "Dingo". The truck is a loving blast. I'm having my airbrush guy do a rusted out 1970 F-150 body to put on top of it. I'll post some pics when I'm done!

Edit - Chewing/smoking is loving gross, but I've always loved the Skoal Bandit theme since I was little. I generally use it for almost everything.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Laserface posted:

Im no stranger to RC but definitely not versed in circuit racing or club procedures.

I wouldnt mind being a marshall occasionally as a volunteer just so i could get close enough to get sweet photos :(

While I think what he is talking about it is that he has no class for the Cup Racer to race in, let me go on a quick rant about racing, as it's why I took several years "off" from the hobby.....

I guess I'm lucky here in St. Louis. We have an extremely active r/c community. We have an outdoor 1/8 scale offroad track, 1/10 scale indoor electric track, 2 crawler clubs,2 indoor onroad carpet tracks, a big outdoor dirt oval club, and even a part time monster truck track that is great for bashers. So pardon me for whining :)

I raced offroad pretty competitively for the last several years, and the people just burned me out. The track I race at has several pro factory sponsored dudes. They are the most helpful people you'll ever meet.......but then you have all the wannabe pro guys. They are some of the most insufferable dicks you'll ever meet. I've even seen one of them yell at a young boy marshalling (the guy was called out on it at least). Racing and Marshalling became a very stressful thing, because one wipe out and you'll have guys SCREAMING at you on the stands. These neckbeards made it to where it wasn't fun anymore, because there were so many of them at the track (over 100 cars/trucks on regular club raceday) It got to the point where I said, "I guess R/C just isn't for me anymore".

I'm so glad I got back into r/c with scale crawling! I'm having a bunch of fun with the hobby again, just wrenching on my truck and heading to the local parks to ford small creeks & climb big rocky hills. I really recommend it to anyone who's burned out from the "serious business" racing scene. I'm still working on my truck, but some sweet pics will follow. My Axial SCX10 is built like a brick shithouse:)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Ziploc posted:

How is there not a rule on this?

There are rules on it, but the owner of the track does not enforce it because many of the asshats pulling this poo poo spend a lot of $ at the track. I've long said that if I was running the track, I would give a 1 time warning & DQ for the day, and if you did it at any other time, you are banned for the rest of the year.

The hilarious thing is when some of these guys yell at each other. I've seen guys almost come to blows over loving toy cars. It really makes you embarassed to even be involved with this type of group, and over time I just lost all enjoyment.

EDIT - ^^^^^^^ That sounds like a great way to do it. The track I'm talking about really needs a novice class so beginners can have fun. I started racing in fifth grade (I think this was 94-95ish) with a Traxxas Hawk 2 at a local track that had a kids class. It was one of my favorite parts of being a kid. :) Back then, all the kids at school had lovely NIKKO/TYCO "toy" r/c's, so my friends at school were always in awe of my race truck :smug:.

DOUBLE EDIT - Here is a pic of my SCX10

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sweet datsun cup racer. If a class of them ever takes off around here, I'm going to have to purchase one!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sportin' some brand new Pitbull Rocker tires!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I just talked to my airbrush guy last night, my SCX10 in those pictures will be sporting a new Jeep Comanche "rusted out" body very soon :) I'm also in the process of ordering some scale bumpers....I may even put on a winch!

I've hooked up with a local crawler club, and will be taking part in a club scale trial run & hill climb competition this spring. Plenty of pics will follow. I'm also in the process of getting a decent video camera, so I'll be doing some youtube stuff.

Very cool to see that Tamiya is re-issuing the (in)famous Bruiser. A buddy of mine has a bunch of mint vintage Tamiya stuff in his basement, including an original Bruiser. That MSRP price will probably be around 600-700 street price (which is still nuts). From what I gather, a bruiser used to be one of your only choices if you wanted to get into scale r/c several years ago....but now (as krushgroove mentioned) there are ways to get into scale offroad so much cheaper. From what I've seen all Axial stuff is loving awesome. They are relatively cheap, pretty bulletproof, and have a kit for whatever you want (comp crawler, scaler, rock racing).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

The best thing about the kits from RC4WD is that the motors are usually up front where the engine would sit, with a central transfer box, rather than the layout Axial uses, which is a centrally-mounted motor. For scale 'performance' (to make them drive and act the way the real trucks do) you have to put the batteries or even lead sheeting in the engine area.

Yeah, those RC4WD kits are extremely badass. My biggest thing (outside of the price) is that my LHS stocks Axial stuff, so I can keep wheeling without waiting for parts. The SCX10 is my "gateway" drug into the world of scale offroad. I'd definitely like to try out one of those trailfinders.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Weather permitting, I'll be heading out to my first R/C crawling competition on Sunday! I'm going to get my rear end handed to me, but it will be a good time and I'll be sure and get some pics.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

:siren: Wall-O-PicsŪ Incoming :siren:

So I wound up not going to the crawling competition, and instead took my SCX10 (with new Cherokee body I did over the weekend) on a trail ride at a local park. It was a loving blast. I couldn't believe how steep of hills this truck could climb. Water, rock spillways, 60-70 degree hills, logs, roots, whatever! I was on the trails for about 60 minutes and I got tired before the truck did (I can go about 2 hours on my lipo).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

If (or should I say when) I try and get back into racing, I'll probably go with a Losi buggy just because I've always done AE stuff before.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

AAAAAH THE TRAILFINDER 2 IS OUT

http://store.rc4wd.com/product.asp?itemid=2108

Crawler goons: tell me what I need for an esc / motor. Also what pinions do I slap in that thing?

I run a Novak Rooster Crawler 55t system. I got a hell of a deal on a new one because they are discontinued. My truck has insane torque, and I haven't gotten even a hint of glitching.

Most guys swear by the Tekin FX system though. The lowest number of turns you want is 35, but I'd recommend at least 45 or 55. As for gearing, well I have no clue on the Trailfinder. I'd just see what the manual recommends and use it as your baseline.

Congrats on getting that truck, it looks loving boss! Crawling is really the most fun thing.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

I haven't picked it up quite yet, I'm trying to keep myself from buying it until after my GF heads out of the country. Figure I'll focus on spending some time with her for the next few weeks.

That hasn't kept me from thoroughly digging through RC4WD's site looking at fiddly bits to add to it

Finally a use for the 3rd and 4th channels on my radio. Shifting and pulling other cars out of the mud!

That's a nice bill, especially without a motor! Yeah, they are expensive, but I'm really interested to hear how your build goes. As for the winch, I really wish I had a 3 channel! I'd love to have one in my truck.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

The TF2 sold out in a day.

So I spent a little time researching how to make an old Tamiya Lunchbox body fit on one of RC4wd's chassis. No complete plans yet, but I'll keep the idea hanging around.

Yep, I saw that and was wondering if you wound up with one.

On a side note, I can't recommend RPPHobby.com enough for those of you looking for online hobby stuff. The prices are great, and they ship faster than even Tower! They have a gigantic inventory, and I've also found that they have in stock a bunch of poo poo that Tower & other shops are backordered on.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My painter got the Comanche body done. It's primered and painted on the outside, with a coat of rust underneath the shell. He also distressed it in certain places with a soldering iron. This looks amazing. I can't wait to get it on my truck!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thank you for all the kind words on the Jeep body. I received the body last night and it's jaw dropping in person. There are actually tiny jagged holes in the body that look like you'd get a tetanus shot just by touching them.

I got it mounted yesterday, but my cell phone pics are awful. A co-worker is going to drive his 1:1 Comanche into work tomorrow, and we are going to shoot my truck on top of the real one. I'll post pics tomorrow!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Here are some pics w/ the body mounted. Couldn't possibly be happier.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Holy poo poo. So those are actually legit? If so, I'll be purchasing both. I'm using an old Lipo that i bought several years ago, but didn't want to buy a new one because my last one was expesnive

As for the guy asking about crawlers....just go buy an Axial SCX10. They are the poo poo. Here are some more shots of my lil Comanche SCX10. The 1:1 rig is my bosses. Not pictured was me tearing the parking lot up in the big one :)

I adore this little truck. The fucker tears through anything.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

needknees posted:

They're completely legit. There's only a few manufacturers of lipos in the world, nearly all of which are in China. Most of the "big name" batteries are cheap Chinese cells in a hard case with the 'manufacturer's' sticker slapped on it and a price tag 3x or more what you can get them for from hobbyking/hobbypartz. I've been running turnigy and gens ace lipos in both cars and helis (small and 500 class) and have had GREAT luck with them.

The turnigy nano-tech packs are a little higher quality than the one I linked. Higher capacity with a far better discharge rating, and you can get them in 4mm bullet plug versions for more options on connecting it to your esc. The hobbypartz Gens Ace 5000 (either 40c or 50c) are very nice packs as well, but they're perpetually out of stock.

If you're looking for something to just tool around with the linked turnigy 5000 20c pack would be fine.

Edit - One thing you do get by going with a big name battery over the hobbyking/partz stuff is warranty. I did have two gens ace 6s packs that were DOA that I got replaced without hassle, for what it's worth. Never had a turnigy pack crap out in short order. The reality is even if you get a dud pack they're so goddamn much cheaper than the alternative you come out ahead by rolling the dice on cheap packs.

Awesome, thank you for the info. Yeah, I'll just go with a 5000 20c pack. The 55t in my axial will last over 2 hrs on a charge.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Crankit posted:

Can someone explain where to go, or what would probably be the cheapest way to build myself a crawler? I don't wanna walk straight into a hobby shop as I'll probably get taken for a rube, not knowing what things [should] cost.

e: Also I'm in the UK.

When you say crawler, what are you wanting exactly? I'm assuming you mean scale crawler like my truck. I'd recommend trying to score an Axial SCX10 kit. I'm not sure what the availability is over in the UK, but I'm sure you can have one shipped. When you are talking scale crawlers, it's the best way to go as the aftermarket is crazy. You could also look at a Tamiya CR01, as I know Tamiya is more of a global brand (maybe?). I'd really recommend the Axial though, and could even help you acquire one if you can't find a place that ships international.

As for how mine was painted, I had a friend of mine who owns @ http://www.themonsterfactory.net/ do it. He knew I wanted a rusted out junk heap for a truck and he had always wanted to paint one.....so I was his lab rat. It turned out great, and now he has other guys wanting the same. I do know that he used a soldering iron to warp/rip the lexan. He also painted primer/paint on the outside of the body, w/ rust on the inside. The more the body gets beat up, the more rust creeps through. I smile every time I hit the rocks/trail.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

I can't believe how much I enjoy this little Losi crawler. I've always liked RC stuff but have never spent hours on end doing it. I've got the perfect little rock garden behind my deck:

Spent most of the weekend crawling back and forth over the rocks. Even the NiMH's I picked up at the LHS last long enough that I can run continuously and always have a fresh battery on the charger when one dies. Only stopped when I finally stripped out a diff locker. Something about all the precision and slow but steady progress is really relaxing.

I'm already itching for something more scale looking. I was debating whether to do the Dingo kit or Honcho RTR from Axial. Looks like the dingo has some nicer hardware in places, but it'd wind up being significantly more expensive with electronics.

ColonelJohnMatrix, or anyone else who has an SCX10, any thoughts on how helpful the aluminum links and steering thingy are than the plastic stuff that comes with the honcho? I'm also wondering what I'd want to do for LiPos (the 5000mah 2s pack linked a page or so back seemed like a good deal.) And with that charger linked a few pages back, I notice it doesn't come with an power supply. Are there any that have a regular cord built in, or is that just the way it works for lipo chargers?

Totally agree with you on the relaxing thing. If you think crawling over rocks in your backyard is fun, just wait until you get a scaler and head out to the local mountain bike trail. It's a loving blast.

As for a recommendation, I'd go with a new Dingo kit. In addition to the aluminum link upgrade (it's nice, trust me, I had to put an upgrade kit on mine), the new kit has various other kit updates....mainly a protective cover over the motor/spur. When you are on the trail, it's not too hard to get a stick wedged up into the gear mesh....which means new spur. If you want the longer "honcho" wheel base (it's about 1 inch longer) you can just buy honcho links and you are good to go.

Yeah, for sure go with the kit. If you are concerned about cost of getting starting, I'll mail you the RTR ESC, motor, & radio. You just cover shipping. All you'd need would be a servo. Let me warn you though, the RTR electronics are NOT setup for crawling. You need an ESC with drag brake, which that one doesn't have. Regardless, I'll still hook you up if it helps you get started.

You will love your SCX10.

EDIT - Also one more thing, the new RTR kits have glued tired, not beadlocks.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 11, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

That'd be fantastic. I wanted to do the Dingo anyway as I do enjoy building kits and it seems to make fixing things later so much easier when you know how everything fits together. I'll totally take you up on that offer--let me know what shipping will be and where to send the money.

Any suggestions on the servo? Seems like people like the Hitec 5645MG.

PM sent about the shipping stuff.

Those Hitech MG servos are totally fine. I'm still using the RTR axial servo in mine and I haven't had any issues. Lots of guys use the traxxas slash servo, because they are waterproof.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

What the hell, ordered the Dingo and some ancillary accessories. Went with the traxxas servo and ordered a smaller spur gear for the 27t motor as well. Exciting.

Badass! Can't wait to see it. I'll be sending you the electronics on Friday.

My scx10 now has a third lid to go with the dingo & rusty Comanche......an Army Deuce and Half inspired Honcho! I'm going to be adding a ton of scale accessories on this thing...i.e. light bar, cargo rack, cooler, etc. Should turn out nice. Only takes a minute to change the body mounts from Comanche to Honcho!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

You may not be big on scale stuff, but that's a great photo.

Hey, if any of you UK goons are at the Gadget Show Live, I've been there all week for work. Stop by the HPI Racing stand in hall 7, next to the huge food court and VW driving experience. My ears are ringing from listening to Adele all week (blasted from the Curry's/PC World stand) and could use a break to talk to a friendly goon.

What do you do for HPI? I'm relatively new to this thread, so sorry if it's been discussed (I'm sure it has).

I took my truck out for a hike yesterday, and wound up deep in the woods. I tried to climb a gigantic hill (probably 20 foot high) that was at least a 70 degree incline w/ moist dirt & roots. The truck made it up the first time, and upon the second climb it tipped at the top, making the truck tumble violently to the ground. The fall was so hard that the ESC fell out, a drive shaft popped, and the battery flew out (i had it ziptied way up front). Going to have to head to the work bench!

Here are a couple pics before my illfated climb.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Great, now I want a Crawler King as a fun basher/crawler.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I finally got around to shooting a short crawling/water running video with my Comanche. Not bad considering I was driving with one hand, and shooting on my lovely digital camera. I'm definitely going to be buying a nice camcorder to shoot more videos.

http://youtu.be/Pv0bBSJD44E

The truck is pretty much waterproof now, so I let her loose!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 16, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sloppy posted:

I've read some people use WD-40 on metal bits after running in water/mud. I know from riding motorcycles/bicycles that WD-40 is NOT a suitable chain lubricant, isn't that a bad idea on R/C cars also? Would bicycle chain oil be suitable for ball joints and so forth?

This is probably just the first in a torrent of beginner questions, so apologies in advance. Goon Powderific sold me his 1/16th Slash VXL, I'm cool like you guys now :dance:

My U-joints are already a bit rusty & squeaky from that water video I posted the other day. But....I actually like it like that. It fits the theme of the truck!

Normally I'd just some white grease.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Comanche got new shoes. I put some RC4WD stamped steel OEM's on her, and also turned my old Dingo bumper into a bull bar. These wheels were a bitch to put on, but they turned out great. They will look even better after I run them through water and they start to rust.

The steel wheels added quite a bit of weight over the stock plastic ones, and now it hugs the rocks even tighter!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I'm told you should change out the screws in the wheels, literally tossing the stock ones in the trash without using them, because they're supposedly weak and won't stand up to torquing the nuts on there. I haven't used them myself, but just watch out for that.

Ha, yeah they are pretty lovely. I changed out the stock ones in a couple places because they stripped out. Luckily I had some replacements in my box.

Ok, one more torrent of pictures and then I'll take a break for awhile. Sorry I keep posting walls of pics.....but I had it out on a spillway today that is INSANE with rocks. The rocks are the result of construction demolition, and several local clubs routinely have crawling competitions on this site. The new steel wheels are badass, and this truck went over drat near anything with the extra weight. I beat the living poo poo out of this truck today (some nasty 5 ft+ falls & flips off of rocks) and didn't break anything.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Definitely email axials service is if you dont haveva part. I emailed them 3 weeks ago asking where i could buy the decal sheets for a dingo (wanted to repaint mine), and they just mailed me them at no charge.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sweet trailer. How do you like the Wraith? I'm strongly considering expanding to 2 trucks with either a Wraith or Ridgecrest to tackle bigger rocks. An XR10 sounds fun, but the competition crawlers seem like big money pits.....and they look sort of retarded since nothing is scale. They are basically just a chassis with two gigantic tires.

I purchased a now discontinued Jeep Comanche Cab from proline, and am going to mate it with the honcho truggy rear end. My full size rusty Comanche body is great for trail riding, but when I get it on the rocks it's always getting hung up because of the rear truck bed "catching" rocks/sticks underneath it. A local crawling group is going to do some Class 2 competitions this summer, so I'll use the new Comanche truggy body for those. Now to just pick a color.....

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Err, 4 tires.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Glad you got the stuff Powderific, nice Dingo! Too bad we don't live closer, I'd be up for some trailing. Just wait til you get a drag brake esc/high torque motor in that thing.

Was the build smooth?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sigh....I'm getting the urge to race a short course truck again. Question for all you guys since I've been out of it for awhile....do those Axial buggies run with the short course trucks?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You didn't include a link to the PDF, but it sounds like your friend has a Slash 4x4. I was initially going to suggest a Traxxas Slash 2wd, but seeing how the track is a big loose outdoors style, you would probably want a 4x4 Slash. They are great trucks, are built like tanks, and are super easy to work on. Parts are also super easy to come by.

You will have fun. A Slash 4x4 compared to a Tyco TurboHopper is like going from a moped to a Z06 Corvette :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

New Jeep Comanche body done up as a shop truck for where I work. I took her muddin' this evening.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That's Bigfoot #5. http://www.bigfoot4x4.com/bf5.html

I actually did make a thread awhile ago in A/T about what it was like to work in the monster truck industry, but it died pretty quick.

This is our newest truck, BIGFOOT #18. Without saying who, there is a very good chance there will be an r/c company doing a replica of this :)

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 4, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Please remake that thread in AI, I guarantee there will be interest. I personally have about 10 questions I can think of immediately

Ask and ye shall receive. Just posted it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

jonathan posted:

I did a lot of youtube watching on the slash. They seem to be able to take a poo poo kicking.

What is meant by "Short Course" ? Is that just an RC term for stadium truck type chassis instead of a buggy ?

There was also a Slash that comes with softer suspension in order to look like a real truck on the course, lots of body roll and it squats under acceleration etc. Not a great competition truck but a good bash and fun truck.

Is there much of a market for 1/5th scale ? I saw a video of a Losi 5T, which looked incredibly cool. The website says they're $1600 though. I don't want to spend that much on an RC car.

The reason they are called "Short Course" as opposed to "Stadium Truck" is because stadium trucks have long been an r/c class by themselves. This differentiates the two classes (and 1:1 desert trucks like the Slash really are called Short Course trucks due to CORR style racing). The traditional r/c stadium truck class is dying because of the popularity of short course.

As for 1/5 stuff....it's not near as popular in most places at 1/10 or 1/8. They are badass, but they are super expensive and need bigger tracks. The 1/5 scale stuff is also still relatively new on the scene.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Laserface posted:

They have been doing a lot of licenced MTs lately.

how is the HPI wheelie king in terms of general gently caress-around-ness? MT thread has me wanting a toy one.

Eh, they are ok. They are just really small.

Best scale (old school) monster will always be the clodbuster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The racing bug is biting me pretty hard...I'm just not sure what to get! I'll probably go with a stock SC truck. I've owned a Slash and AE SC10....and I'm leaning towards a Slash. The stock/rtr SC class is gigantic here in STL (2 race tracks have a good car count, with several pros running it) and I think I'd be better off with a Slash. When I raced in the class a couple years ago it was a slugfest, and the Slash is just tougher.

Ugh, what to do?!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 8, 2012