Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Threads not very active but I'm cross posting this from the sff thread

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Hey thread, the first Baru in audiobook form is on sale for five bucks, https://www.chirpbooks.com/audiobooks/the-traitor-baru-cormorant-by-seth-dickinson

As well as some others, such as the first two Malazan books for $2 and $3 here https://www.chirpbooks.com/authors/steven-erikson-audiobooks

There are also other books on their site pretty discounted right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I just had a book called Lamb recommend to me. I’m enjoying it thus far and it’s read by Fisher loving Stevens!

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
If you like Lamb, try A Dirty Job, also by Christopher Moore. Probably the most laugh out loud moments I've ever gotten out of a book.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I posted this in the Buddhist thread but that is mainly occupied by Buddhists so figured I'd post it here in case anyone is just interested and curious:

So I was very excited to find this was just put up on Audible:
The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika

There is also this channel on YT where a guy with a very nice voice reads a lot of differnt Buddhist material. I found him while looking for readings of Pure Land amterial like sutras or Shinran's works
https://www.youtube.com/c/acalaacala/playlists

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'd like to recommend my favorite audio book reader: Martin Jarvis. His renditions of the William books by Richmal Crompton and anything by P.G. Wodehouse are spot on. Who would have thought you could do 20 different upper class English accents and have it be clear just from the way they speak that they are morons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9L0o2jzRo

(For a real trip look for the Kenneth Williams versions of the William stories)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry if this isn’t the right thread but if I preorder some books with my Audible credits and cancel my sub before those are released will that cause any issues? I want those new Andy Serkis LotR audiobooks but I don’t want to bone myself by preordering then canceling and having my credits end up floating into space or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Sandman is free on audible right now

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Thanks for the heads up. Picked it up, but I didn't want to spend a credit.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Does anyone have any mythology/folklore audiobook recommendations? I just finished listening to the excellent Dracula audiobook, and it got me looking into Romanian folklore, and then branching out into other areas.

I've already been turned onto Norse Mythology by Gaiman, the Mythos series by Stephen Fry, and a couple of Madeline Miller's books. So I've got Norse and Greek myths covered, but would really like some good recommendations outside of that area, Egyptian or Japanese would be interesting, but really anything would be appreciated! I guess podcasts could work too, though not as thread relevant.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

dihaploidy posted:

Does anyone have any mythology/folklore audiobook recommendations? I just finished listening to the excellent Dracula audiobook, and it got me looking into Romanian folklore, and then branching out into other areas.

I've already been turned onto Norse Mythology by Gaiman, the Mythos series by Stephen Fry, and a couple of Madeline Miller's books. So I've got Norse and Greek myths covered, but would really like some good recommendations outside of that area, Egyptian or Japanese would be interesting, but really anything would be appreciated! I guess podcasts could work too, though not as thread relevant.

I know you said you have Norse mythology covered but please give Jackson Crawford’s work a peek if you want some more. It’s fantastic, best of anyone doing it imo and he even reads his own audiobooks so the pronunciations and such are spot on.

I’m really looking forward to grabbing the Fry books. I could listen to him for hours.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know you said you have Norse mythology covered but please give Jackson Crawford’s work a peek if you want some more. It’s fantastic, best of anyone doing it imo and he even reads his own audiobooks so the pronunciations and such are spot on.

I’m really looking forward to grabbing the Fry books. I could listen to him for hours.

Excellent thank you, this guy sounds great!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Speaking of Norse mythology, I had a five hour car ride today so I spent it listening to Gaiman's Norse Mythology read by the author. It's a solid retelling of the myths and Gaiman does a great job as a voice actor, given the various deities and other characters distinct voices. It does help to have some familiarity with the myths but is still fine if you no nothing. I had actually recently reread d'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths by Ingri and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire which, although it is a children's picture book, I would also recommend if only for the fantastic illustrations.

The only part where Gaiman seems to diverge from other retellings of the Norse myths is how references Ragnarok as something yet to come with respect to the myths, whereas most other retellings frame it as something that has already happened. This probably comes from Snorri Sturluson wanting to emphasize that the Norse gods were no longer a power in Christian Europe.

I've also been listening to the various Hercule Poirot books that are available though my public library's audio app. While I've read almost all of the books they're still fun to listen to, in no small part due to the fact that most of them are narrated by David Suchet (who portrayed Poirot in the BBC series) or Hugh Fraser (who portrayed Poirot's companion, Captain Hastings). The ones I've listen to so far are; The Mysterious Affair at Styles (which is the first Poirot novel), Murder on the Orient Express, The ABC Murders, Hercule Poirot's Christmas, and Curtain which is Poirot's last case.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I could not get into the audible original Heads Will Roll.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if whoever owns the rights to Dune has made a better version of the audiobook than the weird like half-effort of full cast for like 2/3rds and then the other third defaults to a normal narration?

I definitely remember listening to that in like ... 2008? It was weird to hear the Baron go from a deep voice to a Scottish voice from chapter to chapter.

It seems weird that with the hype train for the film meaning that tons of new editions of the original book have been released but that same audiobook doesn’t seem to have been replaced.

I guess if it is still making whoever money why bother re-making it?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jeeves posted:

Does anyone know if whoever owns the rights to Dune has made a better version of the audiobook than the weird like half-effort of full cast for like 2/3rds and then the other third defaults to a normal narration?

I definitely remember listening to that in like ... 2008? It was weird to hear the Baron go from a deep voice to a Scottish voice from chapter to chapter.

It seems weird that with the hype train for the film meaning that tons of new editions of the original book have been released but that same audiobook doesn’t seem to have been replaced.

I guess if it is still making whoever money why bother re-making it?

George Guidall did an awesome reading of the first book. It’s so good. The second and third books of that full cast run from what I’ve listened to actually end up being just the main guy and he really starts nailing down some awesome voices and a great pace. I jumped into Dune Messiah with those about halfway through and only heard the main narrator with another doing the quotes at the start of the chapters. So far Children of Dune is the same.

If you email me I’ll help you track down that Guidall version. Seriously it’s fantastic, I’m somewhat new to audiobooks but it’s my favorite so far and really helped me fully fall in love with Dune.

awfulkilometersdavis@gmail.com

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you email me I’ll help you track down that Guidall version. Seriously it’s fantastic, I’m somewhat new to audiobooks but it’s my favorite so far and really helped me fully fall in love with Dune.

I'm interested. What audio quality do you have? 64k? 128k?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Armauk posted:

I'm interested. What audio quality do you have? 64k? 128k?

Hahaha good lord I feel so dumb. As a complete audio nerd I somehow can't figure a way to find this info on macOS. I'm googling around and I'll post again when I find it :x

e: kinda figured it out via terminal. It came out to 107676 which seems weird but I'm assuming it's 128k?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 5, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I hope it's OK to post this link to a page that has the complete audiobook in question; if it were readily available on Audible I'd tell people to get it there, but it isn't and that's frustrating for everyone: https://hdaudiobook.com/dune-book/

I was also curious about the Guidall version, since the one on Audible is a bit weird and not exactly a pure, consistent unabridged production of the text. I definitely find this one much, much more enjoyable.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hahaha good lord I feel so dumb. As a complete audio nerd I somehow can't figure a way to find this info on macOS. I'm googling around and I'll post again when I find it :x

e: kinda figured it out via terminal. It came out to 107676 which seems weird but I'm assuming it's 128k?

Two-finger click on the file, -> Get Info

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I don't want to be scummy or whatever but the Guidall one you can't find anywhere to purchase, when I was looking I only found used tapes. I'll be happy to send it to anyone if you drop me a message at that email above. Everyone deserves some good Dune in the ears. Duuuuuune!

Mister Facetious posted:

Two-finger click on the file, -> Get Info

I went straight to that but it doesn't show it on Big Sur anymore I guess. Just the sample rate. Really Weird Stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Import it to itunes, that'll show it i think.
And the VLC player playlist should also have a bitrate column.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I don't want to be scummy or whatever but the Guidall one you can't find anywhere to purchase, when I was looking I only found used tapes. I'll be happy to send it to anyone if you drop me a message at that email above. Everyone deserves some good Dune in the ears. Duuuuuune

You know, I did link to a page with audio files of the Guidall version, specifically because it's not available anymore and everyone *does* deserve good Dune content :)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

cda posted:

I bought the audiobook of William Gaddis' JR narrated by Nick Sullivan because I thought it would be impossible to do well and I wanted to hear an interesting failure, but instead it's one of the best drat audiobooks I've ever heard. I don't know how the gently caress he was able to keep up with it. In case you don't know Gaddis' style, it's almost all dialogue in which the speakers aren't identified and you're just kind of a floating ear moving from conversation to conversation just barely holding on to about fifty different plot threads... It should be a complete clusterfuck for a single narrator to do, but Sullivan pulls it off.

I finally got around to listening to this after getting it way back when this post recommended it and I kind of hate it. It's really well voiced and the story and writing are good but it's just loving relentless. It's like a 38 hour long Uncut Gems or something. I don't really have anxiety but I feel like I'm developing it from this audiobook. The content isn't even harrowing or anything it's like kids going on a field trip!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

kaworu posted:

You know, I did link to a page with audio files of the Guidall version, specifically because it's not available anymore and everyone *does* deserve good Dune content :)

I went to that page and do have the files but feel like that since is my first experience with Dune I would be better served reading it and then maybe a listen later. What do you all think?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

loudog999 posted:

I went to that page and do have the files but feel like that since is my first experience with Dune I would be better served reading it and then maybe a listen later. What do you all think?

Listening can seem like it’s a bit too much to grasp but Dune isn’t really as complex as you think at first. If you need to remember things Herbert will refresh you as the plot goes. He’s a very reasonable writer and the dense aspects and all the crazy names will generally make sense in the context of what’s going on so you don’t have to worry about missing little details or piecing it all together on the fly. I split reading/listening and really enjoyed that method.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

loudog999 posted:

Audible/Kindle support Whispersync if you have both of theirs. It's probably my least liked Scott Brick novel though, since the addition of the other narrators was really inconsistent.

I started with the book first when I was in my teens. Reread it again (and bought the sequels) when Children of Dune came out on syfy. Again when I got a Kindle, then I bought the audiobook.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 6, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I know about the older Guidall version. It just seemed so weird that this half-effort of like 60% full cast for ~some~ chapters is still like the most readily available version of the book. Especially with how popular it is about to become.

I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it when it comes to media (ie: that audiobook version) made decades ago still printing money for a publisher.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The other thing about the version on Audible that switches between the cast and Vance? It's abridged, which is especially obnoxious because they aren't exactly upfront about that and list it as an unabridged edition, when it most certainly is not. But I was just listening to the Guidall version for the first time earlier today, and just half an hour in there are sentences in that one which are absolutely not in the Audible version.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. It is a bizarre half effort of some chapters being fully cast and others not. For example the Baron goes from a deep voice to a Scottish accent randomly.

It’s so weird to push out that product, but hey, it’s gonna sell amirite

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have been waiting to get Helmet for My Pillow but am out of credits. Turns out the Kindle edition is only .99 and then you can add the the audiobook for only $7.49 for anyone interested. It’s about a $10 savings. I’ve wanted to read it since finishing The Pacific so I thought it was a good find.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

A bit late to the Dune party, but I listened to it earlier this year and was flabbergasted at hoe haphazard the VA is and how they abridged it without being clear about doing so.

I've read it a number of times, so the missing description and narration was jarring enough that I couldn't even finish it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm watching Aladdin right now and it made me wonder about the 1001 nights/Arabian night/whatever other translated names it has

If I were going to listen to it as an audiobook, what version would you suggest? The digital library has an abridged one but I was kind of hoping for a full version

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Arabian Nights versions are an unmitigated poo poo show of half-assery and abridged versions masquerading as unabridged ones, but if you have to choose, then either the Charlton Griffon version:

https://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B00BCLWR0C&source_code=ASSORAP0511160006

or one that came out this year by Taheen Modak I guess, who's apparently an actor:

https://www.audible.com/pd?asin=0241441196&source_code=ASSORAP0511160006

The sample is... okay, and it's certainly the longest version released to date by duration.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That tracks, the wiki page made it sound like even written translations are all over the place

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Just finished The Great Mortality. It was really good.

I was going to get The Faithful Executioner, but I'm interested if anyone has listened to anything in a similar vein.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
With all the poo poo going on I went back to see what 'War on Terror' audiobooks I had and I've been listening to these same drat stories for like 19 years. I don't have much from Afghanistan, just 'War' from Sebastian Junger. But 'The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell' by John Crawford is a really good accounting about the chaotic first year of the Iraqi War.

Hardawn posted:

Just finished The Great Mortality. It was really good.

I was going to get The Faithful Executioner, but I'm interested if anyone has listened to anything in a similar vein.

You like plagues? I got you.

'The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague': it's one of the Great Courses so it's told in lecture style, but the professor does a really good job.

'Flu': about the flu, Spanish one. 1918. Has a modern spin because the later chapters detail world spanning efforts to find physical evidence of the Spanish Flu since no one bothered to actually save any samples back then.

'Journal of the Plague Year': There is an audiobook of this but I only have the Kindle. First hand diary account of the last time the Black Death hit London in 1722.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Not necessarily, I enjoy hearing about time-frames were we have developed preconceived notions of how people lived.

Something more akin to The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World spanning any sort of specific topic that were particularly enjoyable.

but I will look into what you suggested, thanks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hardawn posted:

Not necessarily, I enjoy hearing about time-frames were we have developed preconceived notions of how people lived.

Something more akin to The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World spanning any sort of specific topic that were particularly enjoyable.

I listened to that Daily Life in the Ancient World and it was really good. If you want more like that, Dorsey Armstrong (who did the Black Death Great Courses I recommended) also did one called 'The Medieval World'. I also really enjoyed 'Before 1776: Life in the American Colonies' and 'The Vikings'.

If you want to go beyond Great Courses type audiobooks (which are on sale for $10 each) you could look at 1491 and 1493 by Charles C. Mann. He gets grief (some legitimate) for his research, but the books are still entertaining and 1491 in particular does what it can to document pre-Columbian aboriginal civilizations in the Americas that...well, didn't have documentation.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Hardawn posted:

Interestingly there’s some overlap between plague and narrative stuff in a book I highly recommend: David Quammen’s Spillover. His imagined narrative for the patient zero of HIV is pretty compelling and it is an excellent science book, though it is very eerie hearing his warnings about coronaviruses having a large potential to become a pandemic ( it was published in 2012).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

poisonpill posted:

2-for-1 sale again at Audible. If you haven't read The Illiad recently or at all, you really owe it to yourself to try this:
https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Iliad-Audiobook/B00HUWO1T2
It's Dan Simmons reading a good translation and he brings it to life. I can't shill it enough.
I know this is a very old post but I just wanted to point out it's narrated by Dan Stevens (actor from Downton Abbey, Legion, The Guest, etc.), not Dan Simmons (author of a couple cool sci-fi books and then later a bunch of terrible garbage). Made me much more interested when I clicked through on that one lol