Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Martman posted:

I know this is a very old post but I just wanted to point out it's narrated by Dan Stevens (actor from Downton Abbey, Legion, The Guest, etc.), not Dan Simmons (author of a couple cool sci-fi books and then later a bunch of terrible garbage). Made me much more interested when I clicked through on that one lol

:lmao:

but seriously it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
There's a new book in Richard Roberts' "Please Don't Tell My Parents..." universe! :neckbeard:

New character, gonna give it a shot.

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
These aren't exactly audiobooks, but this youtube channel has readings of short stories like "The Monkey's Paw" and uncommon fairytales if that's anyone's jam: https://www.youtube.com/user/ShubertCVGC. Their voice is nice to listen to and the audio quality is pretty high.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
For a second I thought you were inside my head but lately I've been binging another YouTube channel of Victorian ghost stories with fantastic narration

https://youtube.com/c/BitesizedAudioClassics

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
For actual horror fans, I just finished Hiroshima Nagasaki by Paul Ham. Really interesting overview of the events from all sides.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Anybody have a bunch of good recommendations you can throw at me? Due to Reasons I have 14 credits I have to spend by July and I figure I better just use them now before I forget until the last minute. I read/listen to a lot of history, sci-fi, and fantasy stuff but I'm open to pretty much anything. Mysteries/detective stuff is cool for instance.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

my kinda ape posted:

Anybody have a bunch of good recommendations you can throw at me? Due to Reasons I have 14 credits I have to spend by July and I figure I better just use them now before I forget until the last minute. I read/listen to a lot of history, sci-fi, and fantasy stuff but I'm open to pretty much anything. Mysteries/detective stuff is cool for instance.

Brandon Sanderson is very popular and, just as importantly, his audiobooks are phenomenal. Most of them ae read by Michael Kramer, although for his Stormlight Archive series, Kate Reading joins to voice the female cast.

I recommend trying his The Final Empire. It's where I started and fell in love, and I think it's possibly my favorite novel of his. It also works as a standalone book, despite being part of a huge series.

I'm in a huge Stephen King mood lately so I have to suggest IT, The Shining, and Under the Dome, which I just read for the first time. Like Sanderson's stuff, these aren't just good books, they're amazingly well voice-acted. I can't imagine any of the stories, especially IT and The Shining, without their narrators. So even if you've read them, maybe try the audiobooks. Under the Dome is probably less well known than those first two but it's extremely good.

I was thinking history and scifi and then it hit me.... Worldwar by Harry Turtledove. He's not the best author, even I can see that. Insanely repetitive. But I adore this premise - aliens invade during WW2! And the characters aren't bad, especially the alien characters.

These are the ones off the top of my head. I mostly read nonfiction. Hope at least some of these are new to you and to your liking.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

my kinda ape posted:

https://www.audible.com/series/Chronicles-of-Amber-Audiobooks/B008LV5SPC
If you like the first one, just get the next 4. And if you like that, get the next 5.

History-wise, I've been enjoying biographies by this guy:
https://www.audible.com/author/T-J-Stiles/B001IXNXUC
They're all good.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Another good one to try is Ciaphas Cain: For the Emperor. It is regarded as one of the best series in the warhammer 40k universe. If you like it there are 5 more currently on audible.

E: There’s also All Systems Red by Martha Wells, the first book in the Murderbot Diaries, but some people balk at how short the first few are (the first few are novellas, not proper novels).

E2: It’s not quite history and not quite fantasy but the A Natural History of Dragons series by Marie Brennan is a great series set in a Victorian era style world where the main character is a woman who wants to study dragons and goes on expeditions to do so.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 6, 2022

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

Most of them are read by Michael Kramer, although for his Stormlight Archive series, Kate Reading joins to voice the female cast.

Kramer and Reading are the best narrators doing fantasy. They also did the entire Wheel of Time series.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I recently did The Gospel of Loki and rather enjoyed it. Will probably pick up the next book in the series soon.

I am currently going through Particle Physics for Non-Physicists for the 3rd time. As you might guess, there’s a lot to learn. The lecturer is good and the material is so cool if you have a mind to look into it.

This was recommended to me by a friend: The Orphan Master’s Son. This is a heavy book, in that it is told from the perspective of a North Korean soldier of low birth and is about as awful as that sounds, but with crazy twists. It has three very good narrators and I did enjoy it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Moira Quirk does an absolutely fantastic job on Gideon the Ninth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

my kinda ape posted:

- Anything by Joe Abercrombie
- Anything by A. Lee Martinez
- Locke Lamora trilogy
- Richard Robert's Please Don't Tell my Parents series
- The Great Courses lectures on whatever takes your fancy (Rome, Egypt, astronomy, etc.)
- seconding Brandon Sanderson novels
- Jim Butcher's Dresden Files if you're into contemporary fantasy
- Soon I Will Be Invincible
- Dr. Anarchy's Rules for World Domination, or How I Became God Emperor of Rhode Island
- OG Dune series
- Thomas Frank's last three or four books
- Neil Gaiman's The Sandman
- The Expanse series
- As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From The Making of The Princess Bride
- Anything by Michael Lewis
- The Death of WCW
- Most stuff by John Scalzi
- The Big Lebowski and Philosophy
- The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any good adventure stories at all? Something engaging that isn't in the "and now everyone is dead" genre?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Mister Facetious posted:

- As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From The Making of The Princess Bride

Seconding that. It was really just a delightful time.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

ImpAtom posted:

Any good adventure stories at all? Something engaging that isn't in the "and now everyone is dead" genre?

I listened to a (free/"included" on audible) version of Arsene Lupin Gentleman Burglar that was fun if you like that kind of silly stuff. Like inverse Sherlock Holmes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CrazySalamander posted:

Another good one to try is Ciaphas Cain: For the Emperor. It is regarded as one of the best series in the warhammer 40k universe. If you like it there are 5 more currently on audible.

They're great if consumed 6-12 months apart, but they're a little samey if read back to back.

If you want to dip your toe into 40K, The Eisenhorn trilogy is the usual recommendation.

Also, throwing out a recommendation in a genre I don't believe anyone's done yet.

Rivers of London. Excellent Urban Fantasy detective series set in (obviously) London.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 7, 2022

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So I just finished listening to Iron Widow and the narrator, Rong Fu, does an excellent job. The book itself is really good as well.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon is a great romp with lots of dead Nazis

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ImpAtom posted:

Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters in order starting with crocodile on the sandbank, not so much a parody of H. Rider Haggard but very much a nod to him, funny, sweet, clever and the best family arc in literature, just wonderfully narrated by Barbara Rosenblat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Thank you everyone for all the recommendations! Feel free to keep them coming though I always need more to read!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

my kinda ape posted:

Thank you everyone for all the recommendations! Feel free to keep them coming though I always need more to read!

I got *checks notes* 388 audiobooks listened to and aside from the Pratchett series (get the old ones, these new re-recordings are worse and add nothing) not one of them is fantasy or sci-fi lol

Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy L Sayers, and the Albert Campion series (this one in order) by Margery Allingham are an exercise in good narration and my #1 advice is that narration will often make a book you thought would be boring just amazing. For example; Martin Jarvis reading David Copperfield, Peter Jeffrey reading the moonstone and Tomothy West reading Trollope's Palliser series (in order) are all books I *wish* I could listen to for the first time all over again.

One set of books I keep trying to force complete strangers to listen to is the affair of the bloodstained egg cosy series, which is imo the most perfect detective series ever made, only there are only three of them because he died just after he had finally found his thing. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/191735.James_Anderson

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I recently listened to Confident Women by Tori Telfer.

It's about conwomen, grifters and swindlers and it's pretty fascinating if a bit shallow in places.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Armauk posted:

Kramer and Reading are the best narrators doing fantasy. They also did the entire Wheel of Time series.

They really are leagues above everyone else, the only thing that annoys me is sometimes they will pronounce the same word quite differently, which is odd that they wouldn't get synced up on things esp with them like married and reading out of their house.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ImpAtom posted:

Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road is a swashbuckling adventure set in 10th century Khazaria and it's read by Andre loving Braugher. A quick, fun and dulcet smooth listen.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's just been adapted to TV but the Slough House series is fantastic. I will always recommend Sharpe, Ganamara does a good job narrating. Flashman is good too, the narrator captures the caddishness of flashy perfectly. Will also second Rivers of London, the actor/narrator is so very good.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lumbermouth posted:

Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road is a swashbuckling adventure set in 10th century Khazaria and it's read by Andre loving Braugher. A quick, fun and dulcet smooth listen.

Emphatically seconding this, it's great. If you've been reading Kalpa Imperial, the current Book of the Month, Gentlemen of the Road has some resonance there as well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

my kinda ape posted:

Master and Commander - absolutely peerless historical fiction

Robert Caro's first book in his JBJ trilogy. Within the first hour of listening, as he describes the background of the region, it should become obvious that this is an absolute masterpiece.

Midnight's Children - what if Charles Dickens wrote magical realism set in India!? A big old book that might be intimidating without audible.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

Robert Caro's first book in his JBJ trilogy. Within the first hour of listening, as he describes the background of the region, it should become obvious that this is an absolute masterpiece.
Have you read The Power Broker?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Armauk posted:

Have you read The Power Broker?

Yes, I read that first and it's also excellent. I read it after seeing a movie that has a major surprise plot point about Robert Moses Motherless Brooklyn

java
May 7, 2005

Collateral posted:

It's just been adapted to TV but the Slough House series is fantastic. I will always recommend Sharpe, Ganamara does a good job narrating. Flashman is good too, the narrator captures the caddishness of flashy perfectly. Will also second Rivers of London, the actor/narrator is so very good.

Seconding the Slough House series. Also, John Green’s “The Anthropocene Reviewed” was very good.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Has anyone listened to Infinite Jest on audiobook? Just wondering if it translates well into audio. Also, I just finished Gravity’s Rainbow read by George Guidall. I wasn’t sure how that would be, but Guidall is phenomenal.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
The problem is the footnotes are completely skipped over. At least in the audiobook I had. It's great besides having to have the book next to you to read the footnotes. I think there's a "companion" audiobook that is just footnotes but that means you have to switch back and forth.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Found this at a local charity shop for $10.

It doesn't appear to ever have been listened to. I just need to rip it to my MP3 player.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Artonos posted:

The problem is the footnotes are completely skipped over. At least in the audiobook I had. It's great besides having to have the book next to you to read the footnotes. I think there's a "companion" audiobook that is just footnotes but that means you have to switch back and forth.

There is

Main text: Originally spilt in two parts

https://www.audible.com/pd/Infinite...E1TVMGWWN7KQHK1

Endnotes:

Not sure how effective this is but since Infinite Summer is coming up, it's worth a shot.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Artonos posted:

Island Nation posted:

There is

Main text: Originally spilt in two parts

Endnotes:

Not sure how effective this is but since Infinite Summer is coming up, it's worth a shot.

Thank you! I checked out the samples on audible, but I don’t think I’ll be able to juggle back and forth. It would be perfect if they read the footnotes as they were referenced and then back to the main text, but I’m sure not everyone would like that.

Do you have any recommendations for something like White Noise / Crying of Lot 49?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m a huge fan of the great, late Donald Sinden because his voice puts me to sleep. I have listened to his BBC stuff, but I was wondering if anyone can link me to a source that has his radio biography so I can try to listen to more (I recently just discovered he did a minor character for the Father Gilbert series of radio programs).

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

How is Thomas Pynchon on audiobook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I couldn't get through gravity's rainbow. There was a lot of stream of consciousness and switching of perspectives. I was also trying to listen to it while doing other things. So if you give it more attention or might be more possible. Some of his other books might be better also since I don't think they jump around as much.