Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Good Evening fellow goons. I'm looking for some mystery or detective audiobook recommendations.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union is a really good neo-noir (or neo-hardboiled I guess?) story with a neat alt-history spin.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mister Facetious posted:

Not texts per se, but Audible has the Great Courses lectures series on a variety of stuff.

I've only listened to a couple of these but they were really good!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I can't recommend Great mythologies of the world enough. The courses on the Black Death and the Ottoman Empire are worth a look.

The history of food and the history of the British empire were both great. Although I think the history of the British empire one was perhaps a bit light on criticism but it seemed to be a very good general rundown regardless, as someone who for the most part only knew the very basics of most of it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

boxen posted:

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson sounds a bit like what you're looking for. It's not specifically geological history, it goes into the Big Bang theory and the evolution of life on earth as well, but also does short biographies of the people who made the discoveries and controversies around them at the time. Written for a layman so no super technical language. I really enjoyed it, although it might not be as in-depth as you want. It's also written by a humor author, so it's also entertaining even though it's not a comedy.

I really liked this book when I read it many years ago as a kid. I should probably re-read it and get more out of it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Thanks to whoever recommended Children of Time a few weeks/months ago. Listened to it recently and extremely enjoyed it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I thought the Audible production of Dracula was good. Alan Cumming plays Seward and Tim Curry plays Van Helsing. Since it's an epistolary novel you have stuff like Seward's chapters being journal entries he recorded on a dictaphone so the format works nicely.

Was about to post this!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've enjoyed the broken earth series on m thg commute.

Seconding this. I liked the series a lot and it's a pretty neat setting.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

poisonpill posted:

How about recommendations on Sssssspppppaaaaaace? Non-fiction; history or technical oriented as much as possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

The Sparrow, Children of Time

Edit: oops sorry I read that completely wrong. Those are definitely fiction. In that case The Right Stuff was pretty good history of the early astronaut training.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 1, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah the Stephen Fry narration is amazing and you can get the entire set for one audible credit which is like 70 hours of listening right there.

I bought this a year or two ago and I've been too intimidated by the length to start it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've been toying around with the idea of subscribing to Audible, but I can't figure out how the gently caress it actually works. According to this, you get 1 credit a month on the Gold plan. Does that mean I can only listen to one book a month?

I listen to audiobooks for 1.5 hours a day in the car, whenever I'm in the gym, and I guess now they have an Apple Watch app, so I can listen to them while out running, which is cool as hell. I've been burning through a book every week or so. Am I just going to be out of credits super quick?

You can just buy books at full price whenever, with the subscription giving a pretty good discount on all books. The subscription also gives 1 or 2 credits depending on the plan which can be exchanged for any book in the store regardless of length. You can also buy like three more credits per month for $33 (total) or something like that. Occasionally they'll have various promotions and sales that may or may not involve credits. You can also choose 2 out of 6 of the monthly selections for free every month as part of your subscription.

That’s about it. If you have the 2 credit plan plus the monthly selections that's about 40-55+ hours of content per month unless you're getting relatively short books. If you need more you gotta pay more.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lordshmee posted:

I just finished The Quantum Magician by Derek Kunsken and really enjoyed it. A neat kind of sci-fi Oceans Eleven set in the distant future. Apart from it being a fun story, the narrator is EXCELLENT.

I also really enjoyed this. Currently enjoying the sequel which is more of the same and starts off right after the previous book. Same narrator too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just confirming, but if I cancel my Audible subscription, I still can listen to my audiobooks, correct? I assume I just wouldn't be able to use any outstanding credits?

Yes. Your books remain but credits are lost so use them first.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I liked Children of Time a lot. It has a sequel that's also good but it's fine by itself.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

escape artist posted:

So what's the deal with Audible? It seems like I have to do equations before I can figure out if spending a credit is worth it. Some books become $7.50 if you buy the Kindle version, making the listed price of $19 or $27 irrelevant. So a credit, on the platinum club, costs $22.95 / 2, blah blah blah... this one would be $9 to buy WITH the kindle version so it doesn't make sense to spend a $10.50 credit on it.

If I cancel my membership, will I still have access to the books I've purchased already? Or do I need to get a new credit each month to keep access to all my old books?

You'll keep any books you've bought already but you'll lose any credits you have stored up. So make sure you spend all your credits before you cancel.

And yeah it can be kind of complicated to get the most bang for your buck. I generally only buy 15-20+ hour novels or courses with credits since those are usually $20-30. Anything cheaper I'll just buy outright if I want it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lordshmee posted:

Right now I am about 2/3 of the way through The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Really digging this one. The perspective shifts both characters and timeframes and you never know more than what the characters in each scene know at the time, so you’ve got to put it all together.

I think that was the very first audiobook I ever listened to. It's very good! The sequel is good too and worth checking out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

cda posted:

I bought the audiobook of William Gaddis' JR narrated by Nick Sullivan because I thought it would be impossible to do well and I wanted to hear an interesting failure, but instead it's one of the best drat audiobooks I've ever heard. I don't know how the gently caress he was able to keep up with it. In case you don't know Gaddis' style, it's almost all dialogue in which the speakers aren't identified and you're just kind of a floating ear moving from conversation to conversation just barely holding on to about fifty different plot threads... It should be a complete clusterfuck for a single narrator to do, but Sullivan pulls it off.

I finally got around to listening to this after getting it way back when this post recommended it and I kind of hate it. It's really well voiced and the story and writing are good but it's just loving relentless. It's like a 38 hour long Uncut Gems or something. I don't really have anxiety but I feel like I'm developing it from this audiobook. The content isn't even harrowing or anything it's like kids going on a field trip!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Anybody have a bunch of good recommendations you can throw at me? Due to Reasons I have 14 credits I have to spend by July and I figure I better just use them now before I forget until the last minute. I read/listen to a lot of history, sci-fi, and fantasy stuff but I'm open to pretty much anything. Mysteries/detective stuff is cool for instance.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Thank you everyone for all the recommendations! Feel free to keep them coming though I always need more to read!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DreamingofRoses posted:

I got a credit and I don’t know what to get. I’m about to start throwing darts at a board. Anyone know any good ones like Becky Chambers’ stuff?

I haven't read her stuff yet but I like similar stuff it sounds like. How long of a book are you willing to listen to? I tend to spend my credits on longer books.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 20, 2022

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m in a sci-if mood, not necessarily spacefaring. Something with a strong character focus would be cool.

I don’t really have a limit on length, the last 3 audiobooks I listened to were 15+ hours.

The Sparrow, Seveneves, Children of Time, Semiosis, The Quantum Magician, Project Hail Mary - all good sci-fi books that take place in space and/or on alien worlds. Several of those have sequels that are also very good.

Also it's definitely more fantasy than sci-fi but I recently read and absolutely loved Piranesi so I'm throwing that out there too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I also thought Head Full of Ghosts was great, thanks for the recommendation!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

escape artist posted:

What are some classics that REALLY come to life in audio form?

IDK about REALLY coming to life but I quite enjoyed the Audible version of Dracula.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The Murderbot Diaries are wonderful.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lordshmee posted:

I’m doing The Library at Mount Char right now and it’s rad. It’s like American Gods if American Gods were a completely different story.

Someone recommended this book years ago in this thread and I just want to agree that it is very good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Artonos posted:

Is there a significant difference between the ensemble version of dune on audible vs the older one narrator version? A lot of times I've found the ensemble version is not as good as the single reader. Just wanted to know if anyone had opinions on the recording/acting quality.

I haven't listened to both but I thought the ensemble one was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Thanks to Audible having a 3 month free trial, I’ve gotten into listening to audiobooks after a loooong hiatus. I’m not sure what to spend my first of three credits on so far but I’m listening to Between Two Fires. Excellent book, and really good narrator too! Highly recommend it so far if you like sort of grounded historical fantasy (the part with the fight against the river monster with the hand on its tail was genuinely chilling)

I really loved this book thank you for recommending it!

Also really enjoying Dungeon Crawler Carl. I'm about half way through the second one.