Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Anybody have any experience with the audiobook versions of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series?
I've had the first book on my wishlist and I am thinking about taking the plunge, but the reviews make it sound like its hard to keep up with all the characters/development. I listened to all the ASOIAF books and didn't have any issues, if that matters at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Fall posted:

tip: choose a book you'll actually enjoy rather than for its length (expense)

What I like most about Audible though is you can get a refund for any book, no questions asked, even if you bought it two years ago and never read it.

Thanks for this. I didn't know about the refund thing(not going to say how long I have been using audible)!

I refunded Gravity's Rainbow today. I had been forcing myself to work through it and it was pretty much torture. I plan on picking it back up in book form so I can take notes and read it uninterrupted.

I think Pynchon is a lot easier to read than listen to, which is also how I feel about Murakami. People don't seem to interrupt me as much when I'm reading a book, compared to when I'm listening to one.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Razor Jacksuit posted:

I've received several great recommendations from this thread so far, and now I want to ask for the opposite:

What are some otherwise-good books that should not be listened to? Whether it be bad narration or because you miss the pretty pictures, I want to hear about it.

I have a really hard time listening to Dickens. I dunno, I've always considered myself to be a pretty big fan of Chuck, but I can't for the life of me get into him in audio form, I thought Tale of Two Cities was going to kill me with boredom.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LionYeti posted:

Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest for similar reasons.

I put 5 hours into Gravity's Rainbow and I was lost. It was unfortunate because Pynchon writes with a certain cadence that lends itself well to audio. Like I think Inherent Vice is one of my favorite audiobooks.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

1 month, 13 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes, but I didn't buy anything for the last two years, and iTunes didn't contribute to my stats when I still used a Shuffle. :geno:

172 titles, average listen time: 6 hours.

I don't think I own more than five books with a listen time under that... :raise:

I wonder if the Daily Read counts?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

jeeves posted:

Can anyone recommend and good audio plays that are not too long.

I'm going on a road trip with 3 others and we want to listen to some stuff but not like a full audiobook or something.

There are a bunch of old radio program anthologies. I personally have only listened to X-minus One, but it's pretty entertaining.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Enfys posted:

Are there other places to pick up audiobooks besides Audible? I'm really getting into listening to them now and picked up a bunch in the last sale, but I'm not a big fan of subscription services.

Check to see if your local library offers Overdrive, that would be the cheapest way to do it. There are a couple other retailers for audiobooks, but the retail prices are sky high, so you are better off looking for sale prices on audible or digging through local thrift stores.
Honestly, Audible isn't really a subscription service, you own everything you buy and they don't go away when you cancel. If you are listening with any frequency, the service will save you a lot of money over retail.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

precision posted:

Warning: David Sedaris is someone you will either love or utterly loathe.

Truth, I love his narration and his books are generally entertaining. However he has a high pitched "soft" voice, so I could see why people don't like him.

Also, I can't help but feel like he might be a prissy queen that you would want to punch in the face if you met him IRL.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

precision posted:

I've met David Sedaris on multiple occasions related to work and at one point he lived down the street from me. I wouldn't say he's a "prissy queen" but he is absolutely a caricature of a certain type of pseudo-intellectual that drives me absolutely round the bend.

His interview with Marc Maron was pretty good, and amazingly enough, it didn't devolve into "pseudo-intellectual" bullshit like a lot of Marc's interviews with those kind of guests can. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that it was because Marc was trying to figure out his odds of hooking up with Amy.

I really enjoy listening to Sedaris read his stuff, so it's weird to levy criticism against his personality, but when you put so much of your personal life out there I guess that's what happens.

I've been trying to listen to Yiddish Policemans's Union, and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I dig most of Chabon's work, I like police noir, and I love alt history fiction, but something isn't clicking with me. I'm thinking it's the pacing, which IMO is a big problem with his writing, and listening to the narration just makes it stick out more. Peter Riegart is a great narrator though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

Audible is doing this "first in the series" sale right now, and The Mote In God's Eye and Forever War are both on it. Anyone listened to either of those?

I enjoyed the Mote in God's Eye. Been a while since I listened to it, but I thought it was well produced.
Obviously you should be into pretty deep SCI-FI if you are going to pick it up.

No idea about the forever war though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
REAMDE wasn't terrible to listen to if you keep in mind that it's Stephenson trying to write an airplane bookstore thriller and kind of failing at it. I didn't refund it, so I guess its worth a listen :shrug:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Kestral posted:

Has anyone here listened to Ninefox Gambit or The Malazan Book of the Fallen series? If so, how hard are they to follow in audio form? There's a lot of reviews saying Ninefox in particular drops you into the deep end and expects you to swim, and I recall needing to use the index a lot when I read the first couple Malazan books years ago.

I went into the audio version of Malazan without knowing anything about it and ended up returning it. It was too confusing for me to follow, voice acting was decent though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

This is an extremely odd question but I have to ask somebody because I sure as hell don't know.

Is getting somebody to record an audiobook for personal use illegal? I'm only asking because I'm legally blind and there's just no way to really get through a dense text with my visual impairment. I have no interest in sharing it with anybody, just having it for myself.

The book in question is a philosophical text called Being and Time by Martin Heidegger. It's something I'm working up to, I'm not so arrogant as to think I could handle it now but I figured I might as well ask this question now because why not. I would als oneed a recording because I'm certain I'll need to go over passages and stuff

I found one translation that will be up in the public domain the start of 2023 and I don't expect to be dead in five years so I guess I could theoretically wait and then go beg some altruistic fool on LibriVox to record it for me.

I am not a lawyer and all that jazz, but it is technically illegal to redesign books, unless it is in the public domain. Having said that, when I was a freshman in college I volunteered at the student accessibility center reading textbooks to tape for visually impaired students, and as far as I know we never got our dicks slapped for it. Also, what are the odds of somebody finding out that you are doing it if it is just for personal use?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Listened to Remember the Lobster by David Foster Wallace, one of my favorite audiobooks of all time now. Can you guys recommend anything similar? It's a collection of essays and I feel like that, combined with Wallace's own spot own narration, made them super easy to burn through.

"A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never do Again."
It's also narrated by Wallace, and I think its just as strong of a collection of essays.
Pretty much any David Sedaris book is worth listening to if your are more into the idea of writers narrating their own essays, and less into them being more journalistic or literary. His narration is excellent, even if you've read some of his books, I would still recommend giving them a listen.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone have an opinion of the Gaiman/Pratchett teamup Good Omens?

It's good, it's also the most british thing you will ever listen to.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Alright, that's kind of what I gathered from reading that FAQ and that table I posted. Sounds like I'd need the higher plan to keep the books flowing. Bummer.

You might get enough mileage out of the one credit tier to be worth your time.
I drove 5k miles a month for work, and mostly listen to books and I end up pausing for a month each year so I can get caught up.
I tend to use my credits on 30 plus hour books, and then hit the sales for shorter ones. Also if I end up with two or more credits I'll get a notification about a 3 for 2 sale, not sure if those are targeted or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been listening to David Sedaris on my daily walks. I'm almost done with Calypso and just bought cheapo copies of Theft by Finding, Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, and Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk on CD from eBay.

Anybody else like his work?

Yeah, I think I've listened to all of it except for Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. His narration is too notch, although some of his older material isn't quite as strong as his newer stuff.
Also, there certain stories will make reoccurring appearances, but not a big deal really.

I bought a ticket to go see him do a live event in May and I'm super excited to hang out with a bunch of NPR grandmas.