Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been listening to a radio play of the Dispossessed. Its abridged but the voice acting is distinct and the sound effects all seem appropriate to the setting. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs2TxwyLLUrj0jPLN2xtZt_nAw_hguzkp they even include some short songs from the Anarchist planet. My only complaint is that the similarity of the science fiction names can be confusing in the beginning, but by part 3 I'd gotten used to it.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I was searching for a recording of the Czech play Rossum's Universal Robots, librivox has a dramatic reading of it that's very good. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the voice actors have worked at least semi-professionally at it.

https://librivox.org/rur-rossums-universal-robots-by-karel-capek/

I also found a pdf of the translation they used and read along. http://libcom.org/files/rur.pdf

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Really enjoyed Audibles reading of Planet of the Apes. Greg Wise did a good job making the voices distinct from each other and didn't butcher the French pronounciations of the French names and terms.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ive been wanting to read Uncle Tom's Cabin for awhile but never seem to have the time. Audible lists 19 versions though, is there any that y'all would recommend?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

learnincurve posted:

I don’t see any of the major narrators so you are going to have to listen to the samples, few of them are non-english or abridged so it will narrow it down. Personally I liked Flo Gibson‘s voice. :)
Yeah I gave a few a listen, none of them were grabbing me. I also remembered I downloaded the Librivox player on my phone and tried there. I'm several chapters into the version read by John Greenman. https://librivox.org/uncle-toms-cabin-by-harriet-beecher-stowe/

Thanks anyway though.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Today I listened to an audio version of :umberto: Ur-Fascism by Umberto Eco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0uTHY9OyQ the reader was pretty good and I found it very easy to listen to.

I don't suppose anyone knows of any English language audio books on Albert Camus? Audible only has French language versions. :france:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Thanks but I'm afraid that just takes me to .co.uk homepage so I'm guessing its American exclusive. Though looking on UK site they've recently added some German language versions which is slightly more useful, maybe their getting around to English releases sometime in the future.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, awhile back I was trying to find audiobooks of Camus's work. Didn't have much luck in English but now UK Audible has added a couple English langauge works including the Plague and the Stranger.

Thought Id mention it if anyone else is interested in that.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Hey so I know of two groups that produce free political audiobooks, well one does audio books the other does audiozines.

Audible Anarchist, makes audio books on anarchism and readings of work by Anarchist authors, mostly non fiction but some readings of stories like Ursula K. Le Guin.

It mainly uses YouTube but there is also a podcast version

The second one is Resonance Audio which makes Audiozines, it also publishes on YouTube and via podcasts

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have a hard time concentrating on audiobooks. Is it just how I am? Or do some stories/authors/voices work better than others? I've had mixed-at-best results for the smattering of novels I've tried.

Really I just want something for when my eyes are tired but my brain wants a bone to chew on.

Sometimes I find it hard to focus on an audiobook, usually reading along with the dialogue helps. That may seem counter intuitive but I've found books I just can't read or listen to when combined I can take it in.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

If it helps most of Sherlock Holmes were collections of short stories, and the ones that had continuity with each other had text that made the connections explicit and easy to catch back up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Lordshmee posted:

Friends I’m looking for a lifeline. I just finished Carl Sagan’s Contact and I’d like to get something that invokes the same numinous spirit, if you know what I mean. I don’t want a SAGA or anything, just a well-written story that brings out awe in the universe. So, you know, easy!

Ive been working my way through the Rama series. Its a bit like Contact with similar themes and scale. But for me it mainly works as a full series as later books recontextualise and reveal some mysteries of the early novels.