Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

So I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks lately. I really enjoy them, because they let you basically read a book when your hands are busy. I've just finished some quite good ones, and I was wondering if you wonderful folks had any suggestions on where I could go from here, or if you just wanted to talk about good audiobooks that you've heard.

Recently, I've listened to and enjoyed:

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (excellent)
All 20 of the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian (excellent books, excellent reader [Patrick Tull, I think])
The first 4 of the Dresden Files, read by James Marsters (also excellent, but they've only got the first 4 books, and the 9th on audiobook)
A few Terry Pratchett books
Collapse by Jared Diamond (well-read and interesting, but some of the science is a bit questionable)

What kind of stuff do you guys listen to, and what have your favorites been? Who are your favorite readers? Is Audible.com worth the money? Share all!

Edit: musician ≠ author

A LIST OF GOON APPROVED NARRATORS

Simon Vance
William Dufris
Patrick Tull
Steven Weber
Christian Rodska
Kate Reading
Nick Podehl
Michael Kramer
Justin Eyre
Grover Gardner
R.C. Bray
Scott Brick (this guy is great)
Frank Muller
Neil Gaiman
Luke Daniels
Jonathan Keeble
John Lee

The Haggis Line fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

My girlfriend recommends A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, saying that the reader is especially good, and so is the story. She also suggests that if you pick up any audiobook read by Sally Darling you should drop it before it gives you ear-herpes.

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

Oh god I'm listening to the Aubrey/Maturin books for the second time in three years why are they so good WHY AM I SUCH A NERD.

(seriously listen to these books or read them even they kick so much rear end)

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

I'm most of the way through "The Lies of Locke Lamora" read by Michael Page, and I have to say I'm enjoying the crap out of it. The reader really has his voices down, and I'm enjoying the story as well. I usually just listen to books while I'm at work, but this one I've been listening to all the time at home, too.

I also recently listened to Lolita read by Jeremy Irons on a road trip, and I have to nth all the rave opinions I've heard about it here. My girlfriend and I listened to about 4 hours worth and then had to turn it off because of uncomfortable, but drat if it isn't fantastic.

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

I'm really enjoying Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. It's a book about a mafia hitman turned medical intern, and the reader does a really great job of capturing the character's voice. Nothing too demanding, and it's got music at the tense moments! And sound effects!

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

Callback to the very first post in this thread - Patrick Tull does an amazing job with the Aubrey/Maturin books. I'm not sure what else he's done, but he's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

armorer posted:

That is a risk, sure, but this is something that comes up over and over again. There are a few names that everyone seems to agree on as well.

List made of people posted so far, and locked to prevent shilling. Unless someone gets a whole ton of support and I'm paying attention.