Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just finished listening to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon read by William Dufris. Dufris does an excellent job narrating this book and acting out all the characters. When you get lost in the book it really feels like each character is read by a different person. Sure his acting is a little over the top, but being a hardboiled novel the characters themselves were written to be over the top. If you're looking for a good fun detective novel, you can't go wrong with this classic.

PBCrunch posted:

I vehemently disagree with that statement. I've read Neuromancer and it was great. I later started the audiobook read by Gibson and it was unlistenable.

I never heard the Gibson version but I just finished the sprawl trilogy read by Jonathan Davis. I think there are three types of audiobook narrators. The kind like Jeremy Irons reading Lolita that make the audiobook better than print, average readers that make it just as good as print, and bad readers that make it worse than the book. Davis falls a little under average if you ask me. He didn't completely ruin it but I think it would have been better actually reading the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just a warning to everyone, if you're listening to books in your car, be careful when you have your windows down. Especially for books like Gone with the Wind when you're driving through the hood and are listening to a scene with rants from pissed off confederates.