Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
I am an audiobook addict. I use Booksfree.com. It's a Netflix-type service with decent turn-around time. I am very happy with their 4-at-a-time plan, especially now that I have successfully gotten my wife addicted to audiobooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

On the Dawkins tip...

Christopher Hitchens reading his own God is not Great is magnificent because you can tell he is drunk in some of it, you can hear him shuffling papers, he'll pause to catch himself in one of those drunken half-burps/half-hiccups, and his delivery is wonderful. You can visualize him sitting in a booth with big headphones and a glass of neat scotch.

[edit]

Also, David Sedaris audiobooks are treasures.

groverat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 12, 2009

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

I've been a BooksFree member for a while and the turnaround times are decent. I'll get 4-5 books per month paying for 2-at-a-time (I rip and send back immediately).

It's gotten slower over time, unfortunately, and after my current queue is done with I'll probably cancel my subscription. Of course, I've gotten so many books from them I'm probably on some kind of "ship to him last" blacklist.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

As a middle school teacher, young adult fiction is what I listen to most so I can keep up with what the kids are reading while commuting and also find good stuff to recommend to them.

Top Recommendations:

Bloody Jack series - written by L.A. Meyer and read by Katherine Kellgren (sample)
This is the best of the single readers. Later in the series L.A. Meyer has been writing more songs into the books specifically because Kellgren is so loving awesome. Beautiful singing, fantastic adventure on the seas. Kellgren is great in everything she does, but she and Jacky are made for each other.

Tiffany Aching series - written by Terry Pratchett and read by Stephen Briggs (sample)
Briggs does a wonderful job of being hilarious and touching, which Pratchett himself is so good at. Another case of a reader just capturing a tone and feel perfectly.

Hunger Games series - written by Suzanne Collins and read by Carolyn McCormick (sample)
This is a great story all by itself, but McCormick brings the desperate-yet-resolved vibe that Catniss deserves. (If you're noticing a pattern, I like strong female leads to counter this Bella Swan bullshit.)

Airman - written by Eoin Colfer and read by John Keating (preview)

Artemis Fowl series - written by Eoin Colfer and read by Nathaniel Parker (sample)

Airborn series - written by Kenneth Oppel and read by Full Cast Audio (sample)
David Kelly reading Matt Cruze captures his boyish wonder perfectly and I find it infectious.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

The two most offensive things in the history of audiobooks are (1) Jesse Bernstein's voice for the winged horse character, Blackjack, in the Percy Jackson series and (2) Connor O'Brien singing in the old recording of Lucifer's Hammer. "Puuuure cul-ture" is a running joke in my house.

There's a reason the old sci-fi standards are getting new productions, and that reason is Connor O'Brien's godawful nasal voice.

More recommendations:

Twilight series - written by Stephenie Meyer and read by Ilyana Kadushin (sample)
Yes, yes, I know. I recommend this because it is better to listen to this reader then actually hold this book in front of your face if you are, for some reason, compelled or threatened into reading these books. Otherwise, ignore it.

The Strain 1 - written by Guillermo del Toro and read by Ron Perlman (sample)
The Strain 2 - written by Guillermo del Toro and read by Daniel Oreskes (sample)
Perlman's reading was much better, and I don't know why he doesn't do the second book. If he was too busy they should've waited for him.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk - written by David Sedaris and read by David Sedaris, Dylan Baker, Elaine Stritch, Sian Phillips (sample)
Elaine Stritch's sections are ridiculously funny. While I would like David Sedaris to just follow me around and read everything I see aloud, the variety is fun.