Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

John Hodgman's book "More Information Then Required" was recently released, it was a hilarious book to read, but I found it a little tough to get through.

Narrated by John Hodgman, Dick Cavett, Jonathan Coulton, Zach Galifianakis, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, Robin Goldwasser, Rachel Maddow

If that wasn't an auto-sell, this was how the book was meant to be enjoyed, John Hodgman and other funny people reading it TO you.

It also has some pretty great parts that weren't in the book, Paul Rudd begins reading the book, until John Hodgman and Jonathan Coulton enter, argue with him a bit and take over.

Oh god, I've been waiting for it to come out in audiobook ever since I finished the first one, "The Areas of My Expertise." Jonathan Coulton singing little songs about the 51 states was amazing, though the hobo names were drawn out a little long. Can't wait to see how this one shapes up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

They've been mentioned in the thread previously but The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher definitely fit the bill for me. They're about a private eye in Chicago who also happens to be a wizard. They're really funny and action-packed.

I binged through the entire series over a several month period during my commutes to and from work and it got to the point where I was leaving home extra early and arriving back super late because I was making my trips as long as possible so I could listen to them longer.

For some reason I can't listen to audio books unless I'm on the move.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Streebs posted:

Back on topic to the thread, I just finished listening to Dresden Files book 2 on audio book, it was pretty awesome. I read book 1, currently reading book 3 but I was on a plane for awhile last week so figured it'd be nice to try an audio book for once. James Marsters does a great job.

God drat that's a great series, and book 3 is when it starts getting absolutely amazing!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah, Ghost Story was the first of the books where I actually read the hardcopy instead of as an audiobook. Pro: read it in record time, Con: I missed Marsters wonderful voice.

What makes it all the more tragic is that they'll never rerecord it with the correct voice actor. :(

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for good sleepytime audiobooks? Monotonous readers with gentle voices preferred, and if they don't act out the characters' voices, all the better.

Go The gently caress To Sleep read by Samuel L. Jackson.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Sir Winston Churchill's history of World War Two Volumes 1-4

Narrated by Christian Rodska. Not monotonous, but a very even speaker, with that great, relaxing british accent north americans love, and we all call "Yorkshire" (regardless of where the actor/speaker is from).

They're also really good.

Thank you so much for this! I've always had a problem with lying in bed for hours without falling asleep and waking up the next morning exhausted. Just started this series last night and within 15 minutes I was out like a light!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

The longest audiobook I've ever finished is probably Atlas Shrugged (Unabridged) weighing in at 63 hrs.

I was stupid in college.

ImpAtom posted:

How is that, by the way? The actual book relies so much on footnotes that I'm curious how it works in audio book form

Absolutely wonderful! I don't exactly remember how they managed the footnotes (I believe they compiled them all at the end of each chapter), but however they did it the audiobook was phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Any suggestions for an audiobook with a narrators voice that can lull me to sleep?

Winston Churchill's Memoirs of the Second World War, the audiobook that drat near cured my insomnia.