Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been listening to David Sedaris on my daily walks. I'm almost done with Calypso and just bought cheapo copies of Theft by Finding, Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, and Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk on CD from eBay.

Anybody else like his work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

bengy81 posted:

Yeah, I think I've listened to all of it except for Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. His narration is too notch, although some of his older material isn't quite as strong as his newer stuff.
Also, there certain stories will make reoccurring appearances, but not a big deal really.

I bought a ticket to go see him do a live event in May and I'm super excited to hang out with a bunch of NPR grandmas.

I saw him several years ago. His best story was "Six to Eight Black Men". He had the audience in hysterics.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Heners_UK posted:

Word to the wise: stop after book 1 of Rama. It goes off the rails severely I'm sad to say.

Edit for the sake of content: if anyone is in the mood for SciFi, first colonization without technology doing absolutely everything for the colonists, instant win button style, then I really enjoyed the romp through the Coyote series by Allen M. Steele (book 1 link). Excellent narrator, themes do vary from the initial ones but the pace is the definition of just right. You end up in a more developed SciFi in the later books but the society building isn't really lost. I'm tempted to relisten.

I loved the Coyote series. I keep waiting for Steele to write more.

Also, your link doesn't work.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I've been listening to David Sedaris' Theft by Finding. It's excerpts from his voluminous personal diaries from 1977 - 2002.

He's had some...interesting...adventures.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krispy Wafer posted:

That book's great, especially if you've read/listened to all of his earlier stuff because you'll hear different parts or more details of stories he's told previously. And it all makes a lot more sense now because you realize he was stoned out of this mind most of the time. Like the entire time he was a mall Santa elf.

I have all of his audiobooks. I have this and Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk left to finish.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aw man, I was excited because I hadn't heard that one before and turns out it's one of his 3 hour, $25 titles and nope. He does have 2 new books coming out within the next year or so though.

That's why I wait and get them on ebay. I snagged that one for $9 including shipping.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Found this at a local charity shop for $10.

It doesn't appear to ever have been listened to. I just need to rip it to my MP3 player.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Got David Sedaris' second audiobook of his diaries, A Carnival of Snackery. This time he has Tracey Ullman read the entries from England and Australia.

Funny as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

imnotinsane posted:

The answer is a mobile phone, just don't put a Sim card in it and don't install unnecessary apps.

I use my old Galaxy S3 as my MP3 player now.

Also, currently listening to Patrick Stewart's autobiography. Good stuff so far (I'm up to the end of his Bristol school days).