Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If anyone uses iTunes, 39 audiobooks of public domain works are being sold for $2 a piece. It claims to be presented by Audible so they might be better quality than ones from Librivox or Internet Archive since I would assume these were recorded by professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

The General posted:

Whomever did that terrible chinese guy thing is the worst in WWZ, and I just couldn't slog through it. Ugh
Ray Park and that was a stinker but the audiobook was worth the $6 on iTunes even as a abridgment. Almost everyone else was solid in their parts.

I was planning to listen to A Song of Ice and Fire next but who has a better reading of it?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

mystes posted:

As does Audible in the US.

Not quite, the US version removes The Casebook of SH since most of the stories in it aren't public domain here. It's also not labeled The Definitive Collection as in the UK version

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

KingShiro posted:

Got an e-mail for a free month/book from Audible, so if you don't stay subbed, might want to keep an eye out for it.

Found it in my email, Thanks for the free Grant Amazon

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

buglord posted:

sorry for the excitement :(

I must have posted it like an hour before the deal died, since me and a goon scooped up the offer before it apparently expired.

I’m that goon so I thank you for your patronage.

Now I need to figure out what books to get.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For the record, I chose Gravity’s Rainbow.

Apparently, Amazon’s R&D department turned Audible into a horse that just finished 3rd in The Kentucky Derby so a audiobook on American Pharoah is being given away for free until the 9th.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Molybdenum posted:

i picked up the sherlock holmes canon for a single audible credit read by stephen fry. As long as his voice isn't obnoxious to you it is a heck of a deal.

It should be noted that The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes is not in the American release since most of the stories in it are still under copyright to Doyle’s estate. The reading by Simon Vance does include them though.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah the Stephen Fry narration is amazing and you can get the entire set for one audible credit which is like 70 hours of listening right there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the US version remove most of the stories from The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes since they are still under copyright? The version read by Simon Vance has all of them FWIW.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Artonos posted:

The problem is the footnotes are completely skipped over. At least in the audiobook I had. It's great besides having to have the book next to you to read the footnotes. I think there's a "companion" audiobook that is just footnotes but that means you have to switch back and forth.

There is

Main text: Originally spilt in two parts

https://www.audible.com/pd/Infinite...E1TVMGWWN7KQHK1

Endnotes:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Infinite...E1TVMGWWN7KQHK1

Not sure how effective this is but since Infinite Summer is coming up, it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

LionYeti posted:

The Snowcrash narration is absolutely outstanding. He leads you in with that masterclass of a first chapter. I would say maybe its the best way to experience Snowcrash

I second this, it was the first audiobook I ever listened to and it got me hooked on the format. A great audiobook will enhance a work in a way text cannot replicate and Scott Brick's work here is proof of that.