Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«343 »
Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

re: Joe Hill, may be unpopular opinion around here but I loving love Horns. I'm a sucker for stories where completely inexplicable poo poo happens and is never explained. I mean, I appreciate "The Moving Finger" for gently caress sakes.

Also "Pop Art" is the best short story I've read in 20 years.

Pop Art is so good. You start off amused by the premise and at the end you're like, pondering life. Also NOS4A2 absolutely slaps and is like "what if Stephen King wrote a really good antagonist AND had a good ending?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

I went and looked at the synopsis for this, it really sounds like a grab bag of his dad's favorite ideas and themes remixed but if the pacing is right I can see how it would be very engaging.

The details are really where it excels, itís very well written and the whole thing with the talents that come with a severe price is very much one of those things where you realize after ďoh, right, you had a brilliant but alcoholic/cokehead fatherĒ.

Joe Hill has a talent for good turns of phrase that really sells the book. If I had my kindle handy I would post some highlights now, will probably edit them into this post in a bit.

java
May 7, 2005

Iím re-reading Tommyknockers and itís amazing to me how this book is both incredible storytelling and also just, terrible at the same time.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

I love the Tommyknockers, it's a book written to express the very real struggle King dealt with in the 80's of "drugs and alcohol can make you more creative, at the cost of destroying you" with a fun metaphor about aliens.

And then it's a bloated rambling mess that does seem like it's written by someone struggling with those substances. I still like it though, that metaphor gets me.

java
May 7, 2005

FreezingInferno posted:

I love the Tommyknockers, it's a book written to express the very real struggle King dealt with in the 80's of "drugs and alcohol can make you more creative, at the cost of destroying you" with a fun metaphor about aliens.

And then it's a bloated rambling mess that does seem like it's written by someone struggling with those substances. I still like it though, that metaphor gets me.

Itís absolutely a bloated rambling mess, but Iíll be goddamned if the first few chapters donít draw you in. Itís surprising (even with how awful King is about writing from a womanís POV) if the sentence construction, brooding sense of unease, and backstory technique isnít right on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

java posted:

Itís absolutely a bloated rambling mess, but Iíll be goddamned if the first few chapters donít draw you in. Itís surprising (even with how awful King is about writing from a womanís POV) if the sentence construction, brooding sense of unease, and backstory technique isnít right on.

The pacing is the worst part. Sometimes it moves forwards fast (david's magic show!) and sometimes it moves in fits and starts/shits and farts. I identified well with Gard, who was well written, and hated Bobbi, who was not. It was a good book buried in an awful one but I will always remember the killer coke machine.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Duma Key was really good, my only complaint is that it laid on the foreshadowing incredibly thickly, even for Stephen King.

That's the point. It's like watching a train barreling towards a cliff but the button that says "brake" just speeds it up

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 22, 2013

the killer coke machine.

But enough about King's highschool nicknames

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That's the point. It's like watching a train barreling towards a cliff but the button that says "brake" just speeds it up

I donít mind the foreshadowing per se but it was just so heavy handed that it took me out of the book sometimes.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I will always remember the killer coke machine.

I was always partial to the flying smoke alarms of death.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get, the more I feel like laughing.

Fallen Rib

Duma Key was really good, my only complaint is that it laid on the foreshadowing incredibly thickly, even for Stephen King.

Pretty sure I read that book when it came out and I cannot remember a single thing about it.

Count me in for the Tommyknockers as underrated classic club. It's uneven but still some great writing in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I donít mind the foreshadowing per se but it was just so heavy handed that it took me out of the book sometimes.

it read like king was finally trying to follow an outline for a novel and reminding himself to stay on track

and then he still pulls a jive-talking ventriloquist out of his rear end during the last act

«343 »