Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
I am enjoying watching "The Outsider." But boy does King have his tropes and ticks because I swear there's elements here that echo everything else he's done. Heck I notice similarities to The Langoliers adaptation (eg the similarity between Bronson Pinchot's character in "The Langoliers" and Marc Menchaca's in "The Outsider": Person already on edge is taken over/possessed by villainous demonic entity.)

Should I read or watch "Dr. Sleep"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

IbrahimSom posted:

Should I read or watch "Dr. Sleep"?

I can't recommend the novel. The parts where it focuses on Danny dealing with his memories of Jack and the Overlook are great (King's understanding of addiction is still second to none, even this late in his game), but the actual plot of the novel kind of blows and the villains are cartoons more than people.

That said, I didn't see the movie, but I heard it was better than it had any right to be, especially as it works as a sequel to both the Kubrick movie and the novel.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'll maintain until I die that Dr. Sleep is a good book, but not a good sequel.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Eason the Fifth posted:

That said, I didn't see the movie, but I heard it was better than it had any right to be, especially as it works as a sequel to both the Kubrick movie and the novel.

I haven't seen it either, but I have heard that the Director's cut is far superior but also like 3+ hours so keep that in mind.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Dr Sleep, the movie, is good. Better than the book. It’s also a sequel to the movie and not the book if that makes sense.

I liked how they recast characters from the original Shining instead of trying some janky CGI.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr Sleep movie is a sequel to the movie that becomes The Shining novel at the very end. Its kind of weird.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Mike Flanagan was trying to write a love letter to The Shining movie while adapting Dr. Sleep. I can’t blame him, but it was just ok (not bad, cool at times, but not great either).

I would recommend Flanagan’s other movies easily over Dr. Sleep. Hush and Oculus are both great. Of course you can’t go wrong with his Haunting of Hill House series on Netflix (I need to watch the new one).

Also I agree that Dr. Sleep would have been a better book if it wasn’t related to The Shining. Still the only scary part of the book (at the beginning) was directly related to The Shining, so maybe I am being hopeful. Honestly the book should have never included anything about The Overlook.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Uh oh, If It Bleeds is maintaining listener interest and the first two stories were pretty good. Quick, bring in Holly and Finders Keepers.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just finished up Under the Dome, which was pretty good overall. A bit disappointed to hear the TV adaptation isn't all that good but I still think I'll watch it in the absence of anything else.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is Mr. Mercedes a stand alone series? It just showed up on Peacock and I’ve been meaning to check it out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Octy posted:

Just finished up Under the Dome, which was pretty good overall. A bit disappointed to hear the TV adaptation isn't all that good but I still think I'll watch it in the absence of anything else.

“isnt all that good” is a bit of an understatement

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Octy posted:

heh. you do that.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

“isnt all that good” is a bit of an understatement

Better or worse than The Mist TV adaptation?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It can't be any loving worse.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

It can't be any loving worse.

i didnt watch the mist show but these are the words i would use about the under the dome show lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's interesting how some Stephen King stories are treated like public domain with how often they're remade. They've done Carrie three times, and then twice each for It, the Stand, the Mist, the Shining, Salem's Lot, and Pet Sematary.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Edit - I dont even see the trashcan man.

Maybe the guy at 1:55 in the trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--4gu4CQBM

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Octy posted:

It’s impressively bad. Like, you’re thinking “oh, a bad tv show, I’ve seen tons of those” but no. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s worse.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's interesting how some Stephen King stories are treated like public domain with how often they're remade. They've done Carrie three times, and then twice each for It, the Stand, the Mist, the Shining, Salem's Lot, and Pet Sematary.

Stephen King likes money.

Also his stuff has been around so long that people are bound to have some connection to it, easy to market. Although I wonder if the younger generation is as enamored of his work - the new stuff is middling and the classics are problematic to say the least. Plus you have stuff like Stranger Things directly borrowing and synthesizing his major themes so well that going back to read the inspiratonal works would be redundant.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think that's got something to do with how prolific and relevant King has been for the last several decades. He's one of those names that everybody knows, and those stories have strong followings, among old and new readers, that it's easy to see how a studio can think they're earning easy money by adapting King's work.

If I remember correctly, he once said his work was the literary equivalent of a burger and fries; to expand that, adapting his work is like opening a new McDonald's.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything is better than the Under the Dome tv show. Seriously, it's that bad. The worst part is it kinda lulls you in at first with a few good scenes, and I thought that Dean Norris was a good pick and would elevate the rest of it, but then it goes off the rails so fast and hard. Just a huge loving let down where they don't just not do the original justice, but actually ruin it as if they went out of their way to take everything good from the original stort and make it as bad as possible.

Really, even as brain turned off I need some background noise while doing something else it's not worth it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Is Mr. Mercedes a stand alone series? It just showed up on Peacock and I’ve been meaning to check it out.

Just finished the first season and enjoyed it well enough. Did a little research on my own and I think I got the gist of it.

Mr. Mercedes was a trilogy book series with the titles Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, and End of Watch.

The Mr. Mercedes tv series adapt each book per season, so first season is Mr. Mercedes, 2nd season is Finders Keepers, and the third is End of Watch.

The network the show aired on went under so whatever plans for a fourth season are in limbo.

Peacock picked up the rights and currently have the first season as free to watch, the other two seasons are behind a paywall.

The Outsider is another Stephen King miniseries on HBO that features one of the main protagonists from Mr. Mercedes but the two tv shows are considered separate continuities.

Let me know if I’m wrong or if I got a detail off.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

And yet we’re still waiting for a Long Walk movie.

We had a dozen dystopian teen movies where an evil totalitarian regime kills young people and one could squeeze in a dirt cheap short story adaption?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I think that's got something to do with how prolific and relevant King has been for the last several decades. He's one of those names that everybody knows, and those stories have strong followings, among old and new readers, that it's easy to see how a studio can think they're earning easy money by adapting King's work.

If I remember correctly, he once said his work was the literary equivalent of a burger and fries; to expand that, adapting his work is like opening a new McDonald's.

Also, SK movies have become their own thing now. I was getting a haircut a year or so ago, and the person cutting my hair was going on & on about how much they loved Stephen King, but after a few questions, they admitted that they had never actually read any of SK's books. But they were a huge SK fan because they have seen every movie with his name on it.

Yeah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Vegas was crucifying people for weed. It was absolutely more “authoritarian hellhole” that attracted people who had been either institutionalized over the years like Lloyd and Trash, or were used to running poo poo. Its appeal was hierarchy, not debauchery.

And if you like The Mist movie and haven’t watched the black and white cut, go do that now. It’s so much better that way.

Also while it's been a while and I only read the book once, wasn't Vegas a staging ground for an empire or invasion of the rest of America? You can't rebuild the world with a bunch of stoners, let alone build an army and all its accompanying accoutrements.

Flagg didn't want to just drat a few scared people, he wanted to make sure those who didn't come to him were crushed.

I dunno, I've become very jaded with adaptations. I just mostly read books these days.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Taeke posted:

I had the same experience watching the Zima Blue episode of Love Death Robots, except I do vividly remember reading that short story because it was on one of the best days of life. Going from "wait this is familiar" to "yeah, I've read this story" to all the memories flooding in during the climax of the episode, me sitting by my girlfriend's pool, reading such an appropriate story during the hottest hours of the day while she was a few feet away from me having a siesta, in what was the best week of my 20s, got me a bit emotional.

If they ever do another season of Love Death Robots I hope they adapt The Jaunt (and don't bulk buy a bunch of bland John Scalzi stories to work from again)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

April posted:

Also, SK movies have become their own thing now. I was getting a haircut a year or so ago, and the person cutting my hair was going on & on about how much they loved Stephen King, but after a few questions, they admitted that they had never actually read any of SK's books. But they were a huge SK fan because they have seen every movie with his name on it.

Yeah.

The Stephen King family episode was presented as "Family Guy takes on the books of Stephen King". That's even what the framing story tells you is going to happen. But no! It's just tired parodies of the drat movies! I felt so betrayed.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

High Warlord Zog posted:

If they ever do another season of Love Death Robots I hope they adapt The Jaunt (and don't bulk buy a bunch of bland John Scalzi stories to work from again)

There's a few of King's short stories that would work well on that, but The Jaunt would easily be the best one.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

And yet we’re still waiting for a Long Walk movie.

I thought I read somewhere that this might possibly, maybe, kinda, hopefully, happening? Was it a fever dream?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Taeke posted:

Anything is better than the Under the Dome tv show. Seriously, it's that bad. The worst part is it kinda lulls you in at first with a few good scenes, and I thought that Dean Norris was a good pick and would elevate the rest of it, but then it goes off the rails so fast and hard.

Wrong. You think it's gone off the rails so fast and hard. Then the next episode shows you how much further off the rails it was than you ever imagined. The next episode makes you realize the concept of "rails" no longer has any meaning.

Repeat this for three seasons. It's legit the only show I ever genuinely watched because I wanted to see just how batshit stupid it could get.

April posted:

Yeah.

In 9th grade english we had to do this big paper on someone notable. I chose King. A friend did too....but his entire thing was based on the movies. He'd never read a word. Spergy little me was so goddamn annoyed.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Flaggy posted:

I thought I read somewhere that this might possibly, maybe, kinda, hopefully, happening? Was it a fever dream?

They've assigned a director, but the problem is that this exact thing has happened before. Frank Darabont had the rights to it for a long time, but he never got around to actually making it so the rights lapsed. Now the rights are with New Line and they assigned André Øvredal to direct it. But no casting or real progress has been made afaik.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Alright, you've all made your point. I just picked up a collection of the Richard Bachman stories so that'll keep me happy for a while longer. I read a ton of King when I was in high school but clearly I still missed a lot.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I really hope, deep in my heart of hearts, that a Long Walk movie will be good, and true to the source material. The Long Walk and The Running Man are probably my 2 favourite King books, and well, we all saw how The Running Man movie took some liberties with the book.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I love The Running Man because if it came out now it would be “well, this is a bit on the nose, isn’t it?” but King wrote it in the goddamn 70’s, with the aid of what I can only assume is a crystal ball or a bunch of the precogs from Minority Report.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

They've assigned a director, but the problem is that this exact thing has happened before. Frank Darabont had the rights to it for a long time, but he never got around to actually making it so the rights lapsed. Now the rights are with New Line and they assigned André Øvredal to direct it. But no casting or real progress has been made afaik.

The Long Walk is the Talisman of Stephen King adaptions. Forever in development hell while producers are almost drowning in funding for another Pet Semetary.

At this stage you could probably make a Netflix or Hulu series that's just Stephen King short stories every week and it'd run for 5 seasons easy. Castle Rock was trying to do that, but it seemed to lurch too far off the rails for its second season and I had to bail. Not sure if it ever righted itself.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

At this stage you could probably make a Netflix or Hulu series that's just Stephen King short stories every week and it'd run for 5 seasons easy.

Make Catseye again, cowards.

This is your regular reminder that The Kingcast podcast exists, and a recent discussion was about A Good marriage with Kate Seigel, and it was a really good listen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Teach posted:

Make Catseye again, cowards.

This is your regular reminder that The Kingcast podcast exists, and a recent discussion was about A Good marriage with Kate Seigel, and it was a really good listen.

Is it better than the Losers' Club podcast? And by better I mean 'not three hours long'?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I've not tried The Losers' Club, but each Kingcast is a tight one hour. And (IMHO) it doesn't drag. They have had a good roster of guests on - mainly people involved in the film world, including Alex Winter, Elijah Wood and Mike Flanagan (Gerald's Game, Dr Sleep, director.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve mentioned this before, but watching ninety-nine boys between the ages of 16-22 get shot in the head is a hard sell especially now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I’ve mentioned this before, but watching ninety-nine boys between the ages of 16-22 get shot in the head is a hard sell especially now.

The movie version will have girls too. And probably a romance. And people angry because a character isn't the right race in the...race.