Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Reading the episode description it sounds like they just transposed the sequence where Frannie gets "shocked" back into her faith at Mother Abigail's deathbed on to a scenario that gives her more agency and raises the stakes (I guess?) but doesn't actually add anything to the story beyond letting King further revise his work.

If anything I'm more surprised that they kept the Flagg epilogue as the series stinger, that's an awkward sequence in this day and age even given the themes of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"yeah we don't need Tom Cullen and Ghost Nick getting Stu back to Boulder whatsoever, those guys had maybe 30 minutes screentime between them. Now enjoy this actual loving episode of Lassie."

I have gone from "they might pull it off" to "holy poo poo this bad" to "howling in laughter at how bad it is", gg A++++

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

while I'm at it, if Flagg wasn't setting that nuke off in this version by accident or by having his own hubris turned against him, why didn't God just hit him with lightning in episode 1 and save us all the trouble, goddamn

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I wonder if they were trying to make this more friendly to evangelicals or something like that.

Because this whole "good characters repeatedly quote scripture" certainly wasn't in the original, this whole Flagg is the son of the devil isn't either, and Vegas as the haven for what Christians deem sinful wasn't there.
I mostly fast forwarded through this finale. What a poo poo show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

joepinetree posted:

I wonder if they were trying to make this more friendly to evangelicals or something like that.

Because this whole "good characters repeatedly quote scripture" certainly wasn't in the original, this whole Flagg is the son of the devil isn't either, and Vegas as the haven for what Christians deem sinful wasn't there.

Yeah, in the book Vegas was executing people for weed. It wasn’t hedonistic, it was authoritarian as gently caress

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but in the books Flagg is called the Devil's Imp by Mother Abigail, isn't he?

The Stand is very religious in its own way. I haven't seen the awful adaptation but it sounds like it tried to be religious in a more conventional sense?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, in the book Vegas was executing people for weed. It wasn’t hedonistic, it was authoritarian as gently caress

The more I learn about the book version of Vegas, the more annoyed I get about what we got in the show. It sounds like the book's portrayal was about how lost and frightened people can submit themselves to authoritarianism/fascism, trading their freedom for a perception of safety.

The series' Vegas was.... uh. What if people wanted to do bad things and be selfish. Completely toothless commentary.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sisal Two-Step posted:

The more I learn about the book version of Vegas, the more annoyed I get about what we got in the show. It sounds like the book's portrayal was about how lost and frightened people can submit themselves to authoritarianism/fascism, trading their freedom for a perception of safety.

The series' Vegas was.... uh. What if people wanted to do bad things and be selfish. Completely toothless commentary.

Exactly that. Lloyd’s whole thing was that he was an idiot that knew he was an idiot and would always look to someone that seemed like they’d look out for him even though they often didn’t have his best interests in mind.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Mick Garris cameo at the 4th party. To be honest I don’t mind them skipping Stu’s trip back, but I do mind replacing it with this garbage. I have never seen a adaptation make so made bad decisions in relation to the source material.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That almost makes book version of Vegas kind of a weird choice I think—if you’re going to build your empire in Las loving Vegas of all places, why the gently caress wouldn’t you make it Sex and Drugs and Rock n’ Roll Disneyland? If you wanted to build an authoritarian society where you crucify people for smoking weed then I feel like somewhere like Salt Lake City would be more appropriate, and it would be the type of ham-fisted symbolism that King loves. Sure, the new miniseries was mostly terrible and Orgy Vegas was hokey as gently caress, but at the absolute minimum it was thematically consistent I guess

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sheen Sheen posted:

That almost makes book version of Vegas kind of a weird choice I think—if you’re going to build your empire in Las loving Vegas of all places, why the gently caress wouldn’t you make it Sex and Drugs and Rock n’ Roll Disneyland? If you wanted to build an authoritarian society where you crucify people for smoking weed then I feel like somewhere like Salt Lake City would be more appropriate, and it would be the type of ham-fisted symbolism that King loves. Sure, the new miniseries was mostly terrible and Orgy Vegas was hokey as gently caress, but at the absolute minimum it was thematically consistent I guess

Didn’t Flagg want it for the nearby military bases and infrastructure? Plus I feel like Vegas at least makes it an easier sell to the kind of people he was looking to recruit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, Flagg picked Vegas because of its proximity to the military base and the nukes and also because Vegas still had their power grid up.

E: is the new series wrapped? I’ll probably binge it at some point but it’s pretty depressing reading how badly it dropped the ball.

The Dark Tower Prime series is dead too, right?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Vegas definitely makes sense from a practical perspective re: military bases, but unless King was going for some sort of ironic point, making Vegas a weirdly Puritan society seems a little strange

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Reading through the synopsis again it just dawned on me that some brain genius had the idea to make it so Frannie isn't pregnant at the start of the story, which removes all tension from her baby being born? In addition to undermining a significant part of her characterization (sexist as it might have been). Of course the child of two immune parents is going to be immune. Biologically it is entirely possible that two immune parents don't confer immunity to a child but given how toothless this adaptation has been there's no way Stu's journey back to Boulder was going to culminate in finding out his baby died and that humanity might be straight up doomed.

Even if that's too dark for this adaptation, do Night Surf as a cold open! Have Stu die on the way east! Instead of the Flagg epilogue from the books have the stinger be "Randall Faraday" strolling into town in whatever the equivalent of the Boulder settlement is in Rio or Mumbai or Cape Town or Hong Kong (or even Boulder 100 years from now)!

What a waste of time and money.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

she was pregnant the whole time

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I meant that she's pregnant by some shiftless jerk like she is in the book, rather than Stu being the biological father as in the adaptation.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

I meant that she's pregnant by some shiftless jerk like she is in the book, rather than Stu being the biological father as in the adaptation.

Stu's not the biological father. They don't even touch on who the father was in this adaptation but I don't think Fran and Stu had even had any physical contact when she tells him she's pregnant.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

My mistake then, all the reviews and coverage I've looked at made it sound like Stu is the father or at least the way the timeline jumps around makes it seem ambiguous but maybe that's just selective reading on my part.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey guys I didn’t see any of The Stand miniseries. Is it good?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

More like oldclueless

It’s really really bad

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Sisal Two-Step posted:

The book: scared people and those who think they have been marginalized flock to what is essentially The Last Technocrat, wanting a strong hand to rule them

The series: FetLife as seen on an SVU episode

Mat Cauthon posted:

My mistake then, all the reviews and coverage I've looked at made it sound like Stu is the father or at least the way the timeline jumps around makes it seem ambiguous but maybe that's just selective reading on my part.

She takes out a picture of the dude and talks to it at some point during her first appointment

oldpainless posted:

Hey guys I didn’t see any of The Stand miniseries

more like oldStandless

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Frannie-Daddy chat: A couple episodes back when the nurse/vet lady puts the ultrasound down on her belly, Frannie pulls out a small photograph and holds it up next to the monitor so the camera can kinda see, and the nurse is looking as well.
Frannia says something to the guy in the picture along these lines: "First look at our baby." Then she asks the nurse "Do you think children who only have one immune parent are born immune?" Nurse vague answer.

It was a blink and you miss it line, really.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well instead of watching The Stand I recommend people instead read Revival

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but in the books Flagg is called the Devil's Imp by Mother Abigail, isn't he?

The Stand is very religious in its own way. I haven't seen the awful adaptation but it sounds like it tried to be religious in a more conventional sense?

In this one Mother Abigail describes him a literally the son of the devil.

And yes, it is very religious in a very conventional way.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Vegas definitely makes sense from a practical perspective re: military bases, but unless King was going for some sort of ironic point, making Vegas a weirdly Puritan society seems a little strange

It's been years since I've read the book, but from what I remember I think it was supposed to be sort of a surprise. You know Flagg is setting up in Vegas, but you don't actually see it for quite a while. I think maybe not until Boulder's spies get there. You and the spies are expecting things to be all sorts of crazy Mad Max anarchy, and it turns out that they're very orderly and a hell of a lot more advanced than Boulder.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 12, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, Vegas is a tightly run ship, and is a representation of a return to the old world, going all militaristic and such. Boulder was all about getting close to God and people and the earth or whatever, but even towards the end was hinting to head back to how things were too.

Flaggs whole deal was that he thought he was meant to rule the world and was annoyed that you had a group of people who didn't want to be under him/that his seemingly perfect foresight had flaws. Him being ultra authoritarian was just him flexing his power, really.

Lol at Russell Faraday in this poo poo adaptation.

Darko fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 12, 2021

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The book: scared people and those who think they have been marginalized flock to what is essentially The Last Technocrat, wanting a strong hand to rule them

The series: FetLife as seen on an SVU episode

Very cool how the only on-screen LGBT representation is in the endless orgy scenes in Vegas.

Hey did Nick's death ever matter? I haven't seen the last ep yet.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Take a wild guess if he even gets mentioned again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

Well instead of watching The Stand I recommend people instead read Revival

Everyone needs to listen to this person.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Boat, what happened to Quinn?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Boat, what happened to Quinn?

Quint you mean?

Not sure but I think it's because I pissed off a few people in the Schadenfreude thread for suggesting that it was possible that the Gorilla Glue Girl could have intentionally done that poo poo to go viral and commented that I hope she didn't use it on her weird eyelashes. People do weird poo poo to get famous sometimes (LA Beast, sex tapes, that professor that pretended to be black)

Some people thought my post was racist/misogynist but that's not what I meant at all and was mainly thinking that no one could be that loving stupid (and post about it) so maybe they're going for the likes? If it had been a white dude with a fake mustache super glued to his face I would have said the same thing but pointing out that a young black woman can be stupid or perhaps maybe running a con rubbed some people the wrong way.

At least I think that was it cause it's the only time recently I seemed to catch a lot of poo poo for a post. From some of the reactions I got, I honestly expected a probe for it.

I'd welcome anyone's offer to change it back but it doesn't really bother me. Even though I think having Robert Shaw represented on the forums in all his glory is a net positive for Something Awful.

Are avatar changes/custom titles permanent or temporary? Will it revert back or do I have to do it?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Are avatar changes/custom titles permanent or temporary? Will it revert back or do I have to do it?

They last until someone pays to have them changed to something new. It's cheaper for you to do it than someone else, so once you change it to whatever it'll usually stay that way unless you really pissed someone off enough to spend even more money.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Quint you mean?

Not sure but I think it's because I pissed off a few people in the Schadenfreude thread for suggesting that it was possible that the Gorilla Glue Girl could have intentionally done that poo poo to go viral and commented that I hope she didn't use it on her weird eyelashes. People do weird poo poo to get famous sometimes (LA Beast, sex tapes, that professor that pretended to be black)

Some people thought my post was racist/misogynist but that's not what I meant at all and was mainly thinking that no one could be that loving stupid (and post about it) so maybe they're going for the likes? If it had been a white dude with a fake mustache super glued to his face I would have said the same thing but pointing out that a young black woman can be stupid or perhaps maybe running a con rubbed some people the wrong way.

At least I think that was it cause it's the only time recently I seemed to catch a lot of poo poo for a post. From some of the reactions I got, I honestly expected a probe for it.

I'd welcome anyone's offer to change it back but it doesn't really bother me. Even though I think having Robert Shaw represented on the forums in all his glory is a net positive for Something Awful.

You really should watch the documentary Good Hair if you still think you’re right in thinking this way. You’re not racist, just terribly ignorant on the culture of hair when it comes to people of color and what western culture pressures them into doing in the name of conformity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazokEvX63I

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks for bringing your bullshit into the Stephen King thread as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

They last until someone pays to have them changed to something new. It's cheaper for you to do it than someone else, so once you change it to whatever it'll usually stay that way unless you really pissed someone off enough to spend even more money.

Oh, lol, like an arms race. Thanks. For some reason I got the idea they only last 30 days.

I'll get around to it but to be fair I can be perceived as semi hostile sometimes and sure as poo poo can be kind of dumb on occasion so maybe I deserved it. I'll stay with the gorilla for a bit unless someone wants crazy drunk Robert Shaw back and hooks me up or I just get tired of looking at it. Been here 14 years, post regularly and this has only happened twice so whatever.

I thought it was a little ironic that whoever bought it likely did so since they thought I made a racist post and then used an image of a loving gorilla of all things to make their point about how stupid I am. But maybe that was intentional and designed to reflect on me. Doesn't matter but I tend to 100% associate posters with their av's and assume everyone else does the same thing.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the King thread with avatar chat.

At least it's more interesting than The Stand mini series.

On topic:

Regarding the topic of whether or not King's text was meant to be as overtly religious as it was portrayed in the show: I read an article about the penultimate and coda episodes and it said that he helped co write those so I think that should put that discussion to bed. I was honestly surprised to see the discussion wander into ideas and arguments about if The Stand had strong conceptual and thematic elements touching on God and the Devil or not.

I read it when I was about 15 and even back then it seemed obvious that we're reading about Armageddon, Revelations and pretty basic themes of theocracy at the very least and I couldn't (and can't) imagine interpreting it any other way. Even after my re-read 25 years later, it seemed plain as day as a rather central narrative of the entire epic that was fundamental to the story.

I'd say the show's heavy emphasis on and leaning into that particular element was among the very least of its problems.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Maybe he’s providing an example of what happens when someone’s only exposure to black culture is through Stephen King books.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Somebody asked about it. gently caress off or put me on ignore.

Otherwise let me wear my avatar of shame.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Calm down there boat man, we’re all friends here.

At the same time:

ruddiger posted:

Maybe he’s providing an example of what happens when someone’s only exposure to black culture is through Stephen King books.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, lol, like an arms race. Thanks. For some reason I got the idea they only last 30 days.

I'll get around to it but to be fair I can be perceived as semi hostile sometimes and sure as poo poo can be kind of dumb on occasion so maybe I deserved it. I'll stay with the gorilla for a bit unless someone wants crazy drunk Robert Shaw back and hooks me up or I just get tired of looking at it. Been here 14 years, post regularly and this has only happened twice so whatever.

I thought it was a little ironic that whoever bought it likely did so since they thought I made a racist post and then used an image of a loving gorilla of all things to make their point about how stupid I am. But maybe that was intentional and designed to reflect on me. Doesn't matter but I tend to 100% associate posters with their av's and assume everyone else does the same thing.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the King thread with avatar chat.

At least it's more interesting than The Stand mini series.

On topic:

Regarding the topic of whether or not King's text was meant to be as overtly religious as it was portrayed in the show: I read an article about the penultimate and coda episodes and it said that he helped co write those so I think that should put that discussion to bed. I was honestly surprised to see the discussion wander into ideas and arguments about if The Stand had strong conceptual and thematic elements touching on God and the Devil or not.

I read it when I was about 15 and even back then it seemed obvious that we're reading about Armageddon, Revelations and pretty basic themes of theocracy at the very least and I couldn't (and can't) imagine interpreting it any other way. Even after my re-read 25 years later, it seemed plain as day as a rather central narrative of the entire epic that was fundamental to the story.

I'd say the show's heavy emphasis on and leaning into that particular element was among the very least of its problems.

I don't think anyone, at any point, denied that the stand has a lot of religious influence.
But it is clear that, both in the book and in contemporaneous interviews, King saw it more as different forms of religion. Boulder was the "enlightnened" morality of the new testament that follows the "do unto others" and the whole give up everything to help your neighbor, and Boulder was the "worship me even if you find what i tell you to do repugnant" of the old testament. The book is, as King says, his tale of dark Christianity. The stand miniseries, meanwhile, is just straight up christianity. As for King signing off on it, let's just say that King has been less than selective in terms of adaptations that he gets involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

joepinetree posted:

The book is, as King says, his tale of dark Christianity. The stand miniseries, meanwhile, is just straight up christianity.

No, it's not, it's some weird caricature of some strands of it. It's certainly not Episcopalianism, Catholicism, etc, etc, etc. It's not even the really morally and theologically out-there stuff like premillenial dispensationalism or prosperity gospel. It's like it takes the fact that there are people like some Baptists or Mormons who unironically refer to Las Vegas as "Sin City" and then constructs some strawman theology based on that.

There's not even any emotional depth to it, let alone any honest intent to deal with real theological themes. The whole thing is paper-thin.