Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only Stephen King adaptation I want any pandemic poo poo in is The Stand, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Aren’t vampires just a form of a pandemic anyway.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah the "vampirism as allegory for plague, disease, corruption of the body & spirit (especially as it relates to "deviant" sexuality)" thing has been subtext of the genre since day 1. Given how heavily more modern depictions have leaned into that framing, especially in using trappings of the AIDS, Ebola, and other infectious disease crises to shape the depictions of vampirism, I don't even know if subtext would sufficient to describe it.

Basically vampire stories have always been pandemic stories but given how exhausted everyone is by anything pandemic related right now I can understand needing a break from that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s not the idea of something representing the disease I hate, it’s the “let’s rip this poo poo that everyone is sick of from the headlines and put it in entertainment” thing that sounds about as fun as dental surgery.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Speaking of King writing his adaptations...

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/liseys-story-first-look-stephen-king-apple-tv-1234617990/

quote:

“Lisey’s Story,” the latest television adaptation of one of Stephen King’s popular horror novels, is slated to premiere on Apple TV+ in the summer.

Apple announced the premiere window, as well as a first look image (pictured above), of the series during its CTAM Winter 2021 Press Tour virtual presentation on Friday. A specific release date for the eight-episode limited series was not provided.

Per Apple, the series will follow Lisey Landon (Julianne Moor) two years after the death of her husband, famous novelist Scott Landon (Clive Owen). A series of unsettling events causes Lisey to face memories of her marriage to Scott that she has deliberately blocked out of her mind.

Joan Allen, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Dane DeHaan, and Ron Cephas Jones will also star in the series. “Lisey’s Story” is directed by Pablo Larraín, and hails from J. J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Episodes of the series was written by King, who served as executive producer alongside Moore, Larraín, Abrams, Ben Stephenson and Juan de Dios Larraín.

“Lisey’s Story’ means a lot to me because its the one I love best,” King said during the TCA panel on Friday. “It’s a story about love and marriage and the creative impulse and also has a kick-rear end villain in it. My idea is to be all the way in as much as possible… This is a passion project.”

“Lisey’s Story” will join upcoming limited series set to premiere on Apple TV+ including “The Shrink Next Door,” based on the podcast by Wondery and Bloomberg Media, and starring Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd and Kathryn Hahn; “Hedy Lamarr,” starring and executive produced by Gal Gadot, and written and executive produced by Sarah Treem; “Five Days At Memorial,” a limited series from Academy Award winner John Ridley; and, the recently announced “WeCrashed,” starring Jared Leto and Anne Hathaway.

“Lisey’s Story” is one of a growing number of television adaptations of King’s works in recent years. HBO premiered “The Outsider” in early 2020 and “The Stand” premiered on CBS All Access (which will be rebranded as Paramount+ on March4), while “The Mist,” “Mr. Mercedes,” and “Grey Matter” are among several adaptations that have premiered recently.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 20, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I know most people didn’t but I fuckin’ loved Lisey’s story. The stuff with the modern day hostage taker, eh. The stuff with Lisey and her husband and his whole story was incredible though and more than made up for it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah all the backstory and flashbacks were great, the modern stuff was pretty meh and his attempts to make the villain scary fell kind of flat. The can opener thing is particular almost put me off the book entirely.

That adaptation money train is going strong though, so it was only a matter of time until Lisey's Story got optioned I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Agreed about the can opener thing, that was loving weird. Loved the book when it was the story of two people coming to understand each other though

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

bobjr posted:

There's a few King books that would be best set in their time period, especially since cell phones would ruin some of the plots.

Needful Things on the other hand could be really interesting with smartphones and social media incorporated into the plot

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I know most people didn’t but I fuckin’ loved Lisey’s story. The stuff with the modern day hostage taker, eh. The stuff with Lisey and her husband and his whole story was incredible though and more than made up for it.

I read it on release when I was much younger and thought it was fine, but just gave it a re-read/listen with the audiobook last year. A big part might just be being older/having more life experience (14 years is a long time), but I found the whole book incredibly moving and felt way more emotionally invested than I had expected. Easily one of my top King books for me now, my partner also listened to it separately and loved it too.

There was definitely a lot more to personally relate to this time, I appreciate as a good unique story among a lot of his books. Big contrast to Cell earlier that year too, though I've never come back to read that again since it released.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toast King posted:

I read it on release when I was much younger and thought it was fine, but just gave it a re-read/listen with the audiobook last year. A big part might just be being older/having more life experience (14 years is a long time), but I found the whole book incredibly moving and felt way more emotionally invested than I had expected. Easily one of my top King books for me now, my partner also listened to it separately and loved it too.

There was definitely a lot more to personally relate to this time, I appreciate as a good unique story among a lot of his books. Big contrast to Cell earlier that year too, though I've never come back to read that again since it released.

At one point it was King’s favorite book he had written (may still be but it’s been a while since that article came out) and even though it’s not my absolute favorite (top five though) I can see why if you wrote it it would be. It’s such a good love story- not a romance, but a story about two people that honestly love each other despite/because of their flaws. Between that and Bag of Bones (also underrated) I wonder if his wife had a health scare because they’re both fantastic contemplations about losing someone that makes up a huge part of your life.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At one point it was King’s favorite book he had written (may still be but it’s been a while since that article came out) and even though it’s not my absolute favorite (top five though) I can see why if you wrote it it would be. It’s such a good love story- not a romance, but a story about two people that honestly love each other despite/because of their flaws. Between that and Bag of Bones (also underrated) I wonder if his wife had a health scare because they’re both fantastic contemplations about losing someone that makes up a huge part of your life.

I always felt like Lisey's Story was almost more of a contemplation about his own hypothetical death than anything else, really - and how much it'd gently caress up his wife and family.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kaworu posted:

I always felt like Lisey's Story was almost more of a contemplation about his own hypothetical death than anything else, really - and how much it'd gently caress up his wife and family.

Book was just a nut kick about loving someone.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i used my free week of CBS plus or whatever for The Stand. They had to cut out all sorts of poo poo to make it fit in 8 hours or thereabouts but then they try to out-do king a la bad endings with the last episode? Ballsy considering the bad ending juggernaut you're trying to dethrone.

I am bummed skarsgaard was essentially wasted on this. They could have just spliced in scenes from "true blood" where he was floating or brooding or whatever and let the walking dude just be an unseen devil. i thought he'd be a fantastic actor for the role but :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How many episodes should there have been? 9 was obviously too few for decent character development. If they were going with a linear timeline they probably could have spent 3 episodes on the pandemic and everything breaking down, then I guess give a full weekly installment to each major character except maybe Frannie and Glen. I'm not sure they skimped too much after Boulder since that's the worst part of the book anyway. From Colorado on, the pacing was okay.

So 15 episodes maybe? The extra cost couldn't be that much more. Nick's episode would've been an one act play in a small town jail. Heck, let the sound guy go home early and just film the whole thing from Nick's perspective.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Usually 80 pages per episode is a good ratio for a TV adaptation and they came in well short of that.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Someone suggested earlier that The Stand would work best as a three-season prestige TV show, and I can't argue with that. Although I think the strongest part of the book is the first half, and it starts to peter out when they get into the rebuilding society/religious war stuff, so an ideal adaptation of The Stand would play the first half straight and then rewrite the second half bit.

Since I had CBS all access to watch Lower Decks, I recently tried to watch The Stand, and good GOD was it terrible! I think I made it through about two episodes, then skipped around a little to see how they treated some of my favorite moments from the book, then canceled my CBS subscription (until Lower Decks season 2 comes around). I'm not sure how much of my hatred for the show just stemmed from my knowledge of the book and seeing how much they hosed it up, but regardless it was striking just how small, dull, and underwhelming everything felt. This is supposed to be a sweeping, epic story, and the show did not convey that at all.

It was also just all so...just so baffling in terms of choices made. So many scenes and character beats that could have been moving and beautiful if they were played straight, but that all got changed, and most of the time I had no idea why. One of the most effecting scenes for me in the book was Larry Underwood waking up with a dead Rita in his tent, not knowing if she'd intentionally ODed or if it had been an accident, but knowing regardless that he'd hosed up and failed her. Then in the show Rita deliberately commits suicide and we don't get to see Larry mentally breaking down with a combination of self-hatred, uncertainty, and survivor's guilt. AND Fran also tries to OD on pills in the show! What the gently caress?! Why this completely unneeded change to her character?

What a terrible adaptation. The 90's miniseries was better (it actually was, it had some great actors and moments, and I'm not just being hyperbolic here). Though I honestly think we did get a good and somewhat updated version of The Stand in the form of the comic book series that came out a few years ago. It's actually really good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rewatching IT 2017 and I like it so much and Chapter 2 was such a disappointment but I will say the camera trick of Pennywise rushing the camera while the background slows down or whatever it is is annoying

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

How many episodes should there have been? 9 was obviously too few for decent character development.

The 1994 miniseries had plenty of character development, you actually cared about Tom and Nick, and it had 4 episodes that were 90 minutes each. This miniseries had plenty of time for decent character development, it just didn't do any.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah this 'how long should the adaptation be' kind of ignores that it's the writing and filmmaking that matters. You can 100% do a better version of THE STAND with the same amount of time. Adaptations shouldn't be just a 1:1 copy of the source, because what's the point?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Rewatching IT 2017 and I like it so much and Chapter 2 was such a disappointment but I will say the camera trick of Pennywise rushing the camera while the background slows down or whatever it is is annoying

That's the Andy Muschietti Special™ as seen in Mama and IT Chapters 1&2. His career started with a monster vibrating and running towards the camera in the 2008 short film Mama, which got him noticed by Guillermo Del Toro, who produced a feature-length version of Mama directed by Muschietti.

If something works keep at it I guess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Phanatic posted:

The 1994 miniseries had plenty of character development, you actually cared about Tom and Nick, and it had 4 episodes that were 90 minutes each. This miniseries had plenty of time for decent character development, it just didn't do any.

There was plenty of character development for the main character of the series, Harold Lauder.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Medullah posted:

There was plenty of character development for the main character of the series, Harold Lauder.

Perennial favorite Harold "turn on your monitor" Lauder.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm listening to Duma Key right now - which I am enjoying quite a bit. I just got to this point where Edgar decides to name his art show "The View from Duma", which I found really kind of amusing because (I think) I can reveal a weird little connection here that most people are probably not at all aware of.

My family had a summer lake-house that was close to ours for a long time when I was growing up, so for a couple decades before I'd read much of his stuff, 'Stephen King' was just a weird and reclusive rich neighbor of ours with a big house whom we always saw walking along the road and at the diner. Anyway, this guy named Dick Beckhardt happened to live between us and the Kings on this lake, and he was friends with both of us. Beckhardt had a very old cabin that's been on the lake for about a hundred years (I think he'd actually built it himself originally) which he called "Shangri-La" it was on the humble side but very beautiful and classical - I think King actually bought it himself after Dick passed away. He used that cabin as the setting for a pretty significant scene in the seventh Dark Tower book, as I recall.

Anyway, late in his life Dick Beckhardt took up painting, and his subject primarily consisted of painting sunsets on the lake - which were, indeed, highly beautiful and variable. He released a book collection of these paintings shortly before he died, and I distinctly recall that it was titled "The View From Shangri-La". I think it also had a number of photographs, too. Anyway, I immediately flashed to the title of that book when I heard Edgar give the title of his show in Duma Key, and I'll be damned if King didn't reference that intentionally.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That’s a cool story. :)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Article I found revisiting the old debate of Shining book vs SHining movie. Not much new in it but faitly interesting

https://aux.avclub.com/is-stephen-king-justified-in-hating-kubrick-s-vision-fo-1798285977

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The new novel would be a fairly inoffensive, tight little story, but then there's some weird soft twist at the end that has no reason to be there at all. I have my thoughts about why he might be thinking about that subject lately, but I'll reserve those for now since even reading that could spoil a little bit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But what about the Shining miniseries?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But what about the Shining miniseries?

The 1997 one?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
No, the 1613 one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The Shining wasn’t written at that time. You’ve made a real dumbass mistake here my friend

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
More like oldtimeless.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
1919 edition

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
1408 edition. It only plays in that mini fridge where Tiny Sam Jackson hangs out.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I just recently got around to reading The Shining (maybe a quarter of the way through it so far), and I've got to say it's probably the best King book I've read so far. It's very tight and deliberate, which feels strange after reading some of his later stuff where King can be a lot more out of control. Reminds me a lot of some of (what I think are) King's better short stories, like Suffer the Little Children and Graveyard Shift, which as I understand it were also written earlier and when he had more restraint with words.

Haven't read Salem's Lot yet, which I think is the other King novel that gets at lot of praise as possibly his best novel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Shining really nails the feeling of isolation and having nowhere to go. I don't remember much from the miniseries, but Kubrick hit all the right notes with the desolation.

Salem's Lot is like a horror film where you have a bunch of characters and one-by-one they disappear at the worst possible times (and then they come back).

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Steven Spielberg, Duffer Bros. Team to Tackle Stephen King's 'Talisman' (Exclusive)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Finished Duma Key today and thoroughly enjoyed it - really was not what I was expecting out of a Stephen King novel. It was told in the 1st person, had a tightly plotted final act, and was never obviously self-indulgent in any particularly annoying or noticeable way.

Now, I have a very odd craving to watch The Langoliers mini-series. One thing I like about this miniseries (despite the insanely over-the-top acting) is that it was actually shot on location at the real Bangor Jetport, and man, you can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

And still the Long Walk remains unadapted.

I am mildly optimistic about a Talisman miniseries. Even Spielberg’s bad stuff (Ready Player One) is still watchable.