Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I've always thought that The Long Walk and Running Man shared a level on the Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
All the Bachman books do.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

bobjr posted:

The Long Walk kind of has some alternate history stuff as is right? Either it could be given a few lines as to why this is a thing, or it could get expanded to it's own separate plot.

The only line i caught said "the Provo Governor for *state*, famous for storming a German nuclear base in Santiago". I took it it to mean Santiago de Chile, and the cold war having gone to some weird places. Wikipedia says it's supposed to be the US losing WWII, which i imagine was confirmed by King somewhere.

The Major is waaaay to baity for any adaptation not to develop his character. Imagine something like Snow from Hunger games or whatever. The protagonist's kids was against the government, from there to full blown rebel plotting to bomb the capitol is an easy step for any adaptation, and you can milk a flashback episode from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t29nlkm--Es

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Not going to lie guys, but a lot of these ideas sound like why you don't typically want to expand these things out to a TV show, because it's all just loaded up with *lore*.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm listening to the audiobook of Needful Things. It has King himself as the narrator, so at least the maine accent is on point. It's got little nods to radio dramas like including a bell sound whenever the door opens to Gaunt's store.

One weird bit though was they ran some jaunty circus-like music on the scene where a couple of people go after each other with knives. I thought it was funny. Turns out, The Losers' Club podcast has King on this week, and he mentions he thought of Needful Things as a comedy and an allegory for consumerism in the Reagan years.

I happened to have stopped the audio book shortly after the knife duel and music and listened to the podcast today, so it kid of skewed how im going to listen to the rest of the book. I thought there was humor in the book, but not that it was intended to be read as "funny" lol. I'm now about halfway through and enjoying it

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Needful Things is a pretty interesting book, I always thought. To me it has the distinction of being the first Stephen King book I ever…. Saw the cover of, and was aware of as a 5-year-old? My mom had a hardcover copy of it shortly after it came out, and I vividly recall studying the cover and puzzling out the words of the title and wondering what it might mean or contain, since adult books (especially “horror” ones) have a certain powerful mystery when you’re a little kid, I think.

It’s a pretty worthwhile book in its own right too, for sure. I think it’s also the first novel that King wrote immediately after he kicked off booze and drugs, which is pretty interesting. I think you can tell it’s a bit more tightly plotted than a lot of his 1980’s output.

Especially for a longer book, I always felt like it had a very clearly delineated opening act, rising action, and climax without a lot of the meandering asides/extended detours or rushed/botched endings that’s characteristic of his longer more epic stuff. With Needful Things, it felt like he knew exactly where he was going and how he was going to get there from the very start.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like I'm pretty current with this thread and I don't see this news - a novella sequel to Cujo is coming

https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/stephen-king-has-written-a-surprise-sequel-to-one-of-his-scariest-books

I hope it's not old news :)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How the gently caress do you do a sequel to Cujo?

Racking my brain here and I got nothing.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
It's a tale of what happens to the bat.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Invisble Manuel posted:

I feel like I'm pretty current with this thread and I don't see this news - a novella sequel to Cujo is coming

https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/stephen-king-has-written-a-surprise-sequel-to-one-of-his-scariest-books

I hope it's not old news :)

bold move encouraging people to reread cujo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Teach posted:

It's a tale of what happens to the bat.

Or whatever was in Tad’s closet.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Or whatever was in Tad’s closet.

That was just the monsters that hides in any kid's closet with some Stephen King "or IS IT?" mixed in. We can't ask King because he doesn't remember writing it. But, of all his novels, this one I just can't see a road forward to make a sequel to it. poo poo, I thought a Shining sequel was a stretch.

A Delores Claiborne follow up where the daughter is grown up, visits the old house and zombie ghost dad crawls out of the well would make more loving sense.

How about a Salem's Lot sequel? Or even Christine? Carrie?

What are they going to do, have it where Cujo was buried in the Pet Semetar...

Oh, wait.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

bold move encouraging people to reread cujo
OMG your'e right. This is one of a tiny number of King works that I've only read once. Yikes. I'm gonna do it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

am I the only one who remembers the epilogue to Cujo where they cut to the barn as one of many St Bernard eggs start to hatch?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

OMG your'e right. This is one of a tiny number of King works that I've only read once. Yikes. I'm gonna do it.

Cujo is loving great.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Cujo is loving great.
I do remember that, but drat that poo poo was bleak. I shouldn't really be bothered by that though, since my favorite novels are Blood Meridian and Suttree. Cujo, like Pet Sematary, is way up there on the list of King works that can actually still get under my skin.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

am I the only one who remembers the epilogue to Cujo where they cut to the barn as one of many St Bernard eggs start to hatch?
James Cameron's Cujos. (Cujoes?)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's probably going to be another story set in Castle Rock that might obliquely reference Cujo and maybe it's something like the rabies was actually a demon and the same demon came back. I guess it could be about a middle-aged Brett.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
In the quest to make everything connect in the most nonsensical way, the rabies was actually Tak.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's probably going to be another story set in Castle Rock that might obliquely reference Cujo and maybe it's something like the rabies was actually a demon and the same demon came back. I guess it could be about a middle-aged Brett.

Eason the Fifth posted:

In the quest to make everything connect in the most nonsensical way, the rabies was actually Tak.

I like my idea better.

Bury that loving dog in the Pet Semetary.

Movie writes itself.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I had a dream a few weeks ago that Stephen King and I were sitting on my porch at dusk, just hanging out and I pitched him a tv show based on all of his books. It was about a group Shop adjacent that had to clean up and investigate after whatever happens in his stories.

At the end of the first season, it would be revealed that the stories that don't have Dark Tower ties would take place in their own different universes. Everything that seemes like plotholes would actually have a unifying..I dunno. Ka?

Anyway, that was my dumb dream, thanks for reading.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Started Midnight Mass on Netflix last night, and am enjoying it so far. Will update with my vital opinions as and when.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm listening to the audiobook of Needful Things. It's got little nods to radio dramas like including a bell sound whenever the door opens to Gaunt's store.

I've never been a fan of audiobooks, but I think I'd like radio drama adaptations of books. Is that a thing?

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I've never been a fan of audiobooks, but I think I'd like radio drama adaptations of books. Is that a thing?

There's a really neat 1984 radio-style adaptation of The Mist (starring William Sadler!) that you should definitely check out.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think a lot of the old Louis L'amour books were done as audio dramas. Get a Walkman and go to any estate sale in the the US and you can find dozens of 'em.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

In America? Not really, though there are some out there, and Audible's been getting on the bandwagon.

In the UK? Absolutely. The adaptations of John LeCarre's Smiley novels are great. But some of my favorites are the adaptations of Simon Brett's Charles Paris mysteries, starring Bill Nighy.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

yeah, kinda. look for audiobooks listed as a "cast reading" or "full cast reading." this is the only king ive heard that intermixes sound effects and stuff, and ive done a fair bit of king audiobook listening in the last decade.

george saunders' "Lincoln in the bardo" full cast reading (David Sedaris and Nick Offerman are the leads if that sways you one way or another, but there are 100+ contributors iirc) is brilliantly done imo. most recently, audible is rolling out an audio version of neil gaiman's "the sandman" (the graphic novel...yeah, an audio comic book) and i listened to part one. it has a star-studded full cast as well and was well done as well imo

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Every time Cujo comes up, I'm reminded of a time King was on a morning talk show. Some viewer called in with a question about Cujo, but pronounced it Koo-Ho.

She has no idea I remember her embarrassing mistake 30 years later.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

filmcynic posted:

There's a really neat 1984 radio-style adaptation of The Mist (starring William Sadler!) that you should definitely check out.

When I was a kid I listened to that version before ever reading anything by him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Only 14% through 11/22/63 but having a complete outsider’s perspective on Derry and not just adolescents’ or adults who spent a chunk of their childhood does more to sell Derry’s creepiness/unpleasantness than It did. Like yeah, It is probably my favorite King book but it’s easy to just not realize that Derry has an aura of fundamental unpleasantness even when It’s in it’s early stages of hibernation.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Last Celebration posted:

Only 14% through 11/22/63 but having a complete outsider’s perspective on Derry and not just adolescents’ or adults who spent a chunk of their childhood does more to sell Derry’s creepiness/unpleasantness than It did. Like yeah, It is probably my favorite King book but it’s easy to just not realize that Derry has an aura of fundamental unpleasantness even when It’s in it’s early stages of hibernation.

The eeriness and evil that infests Derry and the impact it has on it’s inhabitants was really one my favorite things about that book.

Crossovers and/or references to other works are things I really enjoy in all of his works. Loved the men in yellow coats from Hearts in Atlantis for that as well.

Currently reading The Institute and I’m struggling to get through. I’m not that far in but I liked the start of the book better then what appears to be the main story line. Altough I’m sure they’ll intersect somewhere.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Lordy, Firestarter was bad. I’m not saying the original was a masterpiece, but the new one is so flat and compressed that I can’t figure out why they even bothered.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phanatic posted:

I can’t figure out why they even bothered.

The IT adaptation made a poo poo ton of money

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Good LORD, I just looked it up and It: Chapter 1 had a box office gross of $701 million :stare: Off a budget of $35-40 million, no less. Chapter 2 "only" grossed $473 million, and at twice as big a budget. Even so, I actually hadn't realized that those films had been SO insanely profitable. Definitely helps explain why we've had this recent glut of re-adaptations for SK material.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They probably weren't going for a homerun anyways. It had a budget of 12 million, a global box office of 14 million (though the rule of thumb is 2x budget to break even) but it was with simultaneous streaming release. And since even peacock premium is still with ads they probably made money in the end even if it didn't lead to any new subscriptions.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

LochNessMonster posted:

Currently reading The Institute and I’m struggling to get through. I’m not that far in but I liked the start of the book better then what appears to be the main story line. Altough I’m sure they’ll intersect somewhere.

The Institute is a book that had such potential that pissed it away.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So I re-watched the two IT movies and I honestly think they hold up well. Both of them.

Chapter 2 isn't is good as Chapter 1, for sure, but this book is almost unfilmable. I don't know how else you make it work. The TV series had its moments and Curry was great. The child actors were really good in both versions. The film(s) left out the more troubling and weird elements like turtles and gang rape but I still think the two IT movies had a lot of style working in their favor and delivered some genuinely creepy poo poo; especially the first one. I'm watching them and honestly trying to picture or figure out a way to make them work better.

To me, it's one of those things like Watchmen where it just doesn't translate and is really super hard to make a movie out of it. For some reason, this same thing also seems to weigh down The Stand and a bunch of King's work. Carpenter managed to make a decent movie out of Christine and that could real easily have been ultra trash.

and what's even weirder to me is that the first movie raked in huge cash and ended on a cliffhanger that half the audience didn't know about but part 2 just kind of died on the vine

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Does anyone else find it incredibly weird that at no point in any of the Dark Tower books does Roland start a fight by saying “chussit, chissit, chassit, come and get your rear end kicked”??

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981?s=20&t=_rO4UGxTCO5u3n-2x3rrqQ

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

So I re-watched the two IT movies and I honestly think they hold up well. Both of them.

Chapter 2 isn't is good as Chapter 1, for sure, but this book is almost unfilmable. I don't know how else you make it work. The TV series had its moments and Curry was great. The child actors were really good in both versions. The film(s) left out the more troubling and weird elements like turtles and gang rape but I still think the two IT movies had a lot of style working in their favor and delivered some genuinely creepy poo poo; especially the first one. I'm watching them and honestly trying to picture or figure out a way to make them work better.

To me, it's one of those things like Watchmen where it just doesn't translate and is really super hard to make a movie out of it. For some reason, this same thing also seems to weigh down The Stand and a bunch of King's work. Carpenter managed to make a decent movie out of Christine and that could real easily have been ultra trash.

and what's even weirder to me is that the first movie raked in huge cash and ended on a cliffhanger that half the audience didn't know about but part 2 just kind of died on the vine

The kids in It part 1 really put it over the top, for me. You often get burned by the performances of child actors but every single one of them was just wonderful, IMO.

I won’t watch part 2 if I see it on HBO (I didn’t hate it, I’m just kinda lukewarm on it) but 100% of the time if I see part 1 showing, I’ll join it in progress and watch until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

What upsets me about the IT films is that curiosity to wonder just how good it could have been without the studio meddling. I'm sure the studio is glad as hell they meddled given how much money the films ended up making, but I'm definitely not.

I just mean that the guy who was initially slated to make the film - Cary Fukunaga - in my opinion is like 10 times the filmmaker Andy Muschetti is and I can only imagine that his vision of the story would probably have been 10 times better. On leaving production of the film Fukunaga had this to say:

"I was trying to make an unconventional horror film. It didn't fit into the algorithm of what they knew they could spend and make money back on based on not offending their standard genre audience. We invested years and so much anecdotal storytelling in it. Chase and I both put our childhood in that story. So our biggest fear was they were going to take our script and bastardize it so I'm actually thankful that they are going to rewrite the script. I wouldn't want them to stealing our childhood memories and using that."

I'd still love to see the script version of what Fukunaga had in mind, as apparently the draft that Muschetti used was supposedly quite a bit different and "toned down". I dunno, just makes me a bit sad, like I said. Fukunaga has been involved with two of my favorite seasons of television produced in the last decade - Season 1 of True Detective and the series Maniac on Netflix, and it would have been so awesome to have seen his take on IT.