Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Capisano posted:

Also if you're in to audiobooks, Michael C Hall does the narration on Pet Sematary and it's really good.

I listened to the audio book earlier this year and agree, it's excellent.
It also does not have a bad ending. The ending is perfect for the incredibly bleak book that Pet Semetary is.

Also, the recent "remake" of the movie is pretty good too. It does enough different to be worth watching along with the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I don't know where the idea came from that Pet Semetary had a lovely ending because the whole book as great and among King's best work.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I could see the ending being disliked by a number of people. It’s not exactly the kind of ending that leaves you with positive feelings, or even wistful ones. It’s downright bleak, grim, and hopeless,. Which isn’t to say it’s a bad ending, by any means.

I also strongly recommend the version on audible narrated by Michael C. Hall - it’s actually really exceptional, he kinda blew me away a bit which isn’t easy to do with a book like Pet Semetary, which has already been faithfully adapted into a popular and widely seen film. Meaning that when Michael C. Hall portrays Jud Crandall in this audiobook, he has to deal with being measured against Fred Gwynne’s vocal performance from that film - which isn’t easy!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

King's friend and collaborator Peter Straub has passed away:

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1567225864709967876?t=yz6TWksY8oCLhazH5q-35Q&s=19

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
"What you love, you must love all the harder because someday it will be gone."

RIP Mr. Straub

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 7, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm around halfway through Fairy Tale and really like it so far. It's really reserved and missing a lot of his writing gimmicks so far too. It reminds me of the good stuff in The Talisma without actually feeling like a retread.

It also doesn't take place in his "normal" universe as Cujo is a movie in the book that the characters reference.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

"What you love, you must love all the harder because someday it will be gone."

RIP Mr. Straub
Yeah, well. gently caress.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I hope he haunts Mr. King's shaving mirror tomorrow morning, prompt.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Storm of the Century’s been added to Hulu. I’ve been confusing this with The Night Flyer in my brain for god knows how long, glad to finally scratch both off the list.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ruddiger posted:

Storm of the Century’s been added to Hulu. I’ve been confusing this with The Night Flyer in my brain for god knows how long, glad to finally scratch both off the list.

Those are both so good. In parts.

Definitely adaptations that didn't make much of a splash but are very scary.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rolo posted:

I’ve been looking forward to bedtime because I’ve been reading Salems Lot for the first time and doing it in bed at night just feels perfect. I am loving this spooky book.

Man I love him describing all the little doings around town as people begin to drop out of circulation.

I think my favorite is when he describes even busybody gossip Mabel Werts not wanting to see what's going on outside at night for a change.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ruddiger posted:

When I was a kid, I somehow got Storm of the Century and The Perfect Storm mixed up with each other.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zwabu posted:

Man I love him describing all the little doings around town as people begin to drop out of circulation.

I think my favorite is when he describes even busybody gossip Mabel Werts not wanting to see what's going on outside at night for a change.

I’m only like 55% done because at this point I could finish it in one sitting and I don’t want to.

Last night was a longer chapter bouncing around the overall darkness of the town, touching on everyone’s secrets, what the (2 now) converted vampires are up to, then back to what everyone else is doing.

He does this thing where he gives the setting its own identity and personality and I love it. The Overlook Hotel and the town of Derry being characters made me love those books and he’s doing it just well for this one.

Like, I was interested in the town to begin with, it was so interesting to read about, then he threw in some vampires and I’m like OOoooooOoohh!!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How does Storm of the Century hold up? I remember being really bored by it when it aired, but I dunno if it was legitimately boring or if I was just a dumb kid.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Listening to Fairy Tale since last night - I’m only a few hours deep but it seems pretty good so far in a comfortingly consistent Stephen King-ish way. If I had my Stephen King bingo card out I’d already have plenty of tropes marked off - alcoholic father character who recovers via AA, key character dies in a violent car collision, friendship between an old man and a boy, earnest communication between a character with god, references to mid-20th century patent medicine… probably there are a few more I’m not remembering. And I’m expecting plenty more to come, admittedly.

But it’s still quite engaging and fun so far, and a little better even than I was expecting. Doesn’t feel particularly original or radical so far, but that’s OK.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rolo posted:

I’m only like 55% done because at this point I could finish it in one sitting and I don’t want to.

Last night was a longer chapter bouncing around the overall darkness of the town, touching on everyone’s secrets, what the (2 now) converted vampires are up to, then back to what everyone else is doing.

He does this thing where he gives the setting its own identity and personality and I love it. The Overlook Hotel and the town of Derry being characters made me love those books and he’s doing it just well for this one.

Like, I was interested in the town to begin with, it was so interesting to read about, then he threw in some vampires and I’m like OOoooooOoohh!!

‘Salem’s Lot is pretty high up there for King books for me because it’s just mundane small town life being slowly overtaken by a vampire infestation that people are hesitant to accept because come on its loving vampires. Sometimes you want a thousand page story on the thirty year journey of kids killing Cthulhu and sometimes you want something snappy like ‘Salem’s Lot.

There’s a short story indirectly concerning the aftermath of the events of the book in Night Shift that you should read later too, though depending on what version you own it’s already in the book.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

How does Storm of the Century hold up? I remember being really bored by it when it aired, but I dunno if it was legitimately boring or if I was just a dumb kid.
I hate it. A guy I knew just hyped the gently caress out of it so I watched it with him and I figured out the gimmick early in. I found the whole thing lacking. I didn't really want to like it though because this guy was a douche. Pretty sure it still sucked, tho.

Stealth E: Also Salem's Lot is like tied for 1st with The Shining.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Salem's Lot is like tied for 1st with The Shining.

^^Agree with this

Last Celebration posted:

mundane small town life being slowly overtaken by a vampire infestation that people are hesitant to accept because come on its loving vampires.

Also, the infestation is welcome because the town is dead/dying already.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Also Salem's Lot is like tied for 1st with The Shining.

If the last half isn’t total dogshit then it’ll be at least my second favorite King book. God, The Shining is good. I should read it again after this.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’ve never read The Shining or seen the movie, really need to put it on my reading list.

Almost done with The Stand. I agree that the first half about the spread of Captain Tripps and how to survive in a free for all world was much more of a page turner than the second half.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LochNessMonster posted:

I’ve never read The Shining or seen the movie, really need to put it on my reading list.

Almost done with The Stand. I agree that the first half about the spread of Captain Tripps and how to survive in a free for all world was much more of a page turner than the second half.

The Shining movie and book are both god tier but completely separate animals.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I agree and say the same thing about Jurassic Park.

The Shining is such a psychological story, I feel like the book benefited more by being able to straight up say what people were thinking and feeling while the movie, well... Jack Nicholson.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'll second this, and I'd throw Salem's Lot up there, too. It's a genuinely creepy book that when I was reading it, if I didn't have a light on, I'd start getting legitimately creeped out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

Excellent ending, held back in parts by TV miniseries pacing and nothing really "scary" going on.

One of Kings best villain/hero matchups and worked as a good Flagg origin story before Flagg got an origin story. Also another one of those "big groups of people suck together" stories like The Mist and Midnight Mass but both are much better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

‘Salem’s Lot is pretty high up there for King books for me because it’s just mundane small town life being slowly overtaken by a vampire infestation that people are hesitant to accept because come on its loving vampires. Sometimes you want a thousand page story on the thirty year journey of kids killing Cthulhu and sometimes you want something snappy like ‘Salem’s Lot.

There’s a short story indirectly concerning the aftermath of the events of the book in Night Shift that you should read later too, though depending on what version you own it’s already in the book.

Salem's Lot is loving great and, even though it's one of his earliest books, I only got around to reading it like 4 years ago. It did not disappoint. I'd like to see it get the Netflix treatment like Gerald's Game and 1922

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Salem's Lot is loving great and, even though it's one of his earliest books, I only got around to reading it like 4 years ago. It did not disappoint. I'd like to see it get the Netflix treatment like Gerald's Game and 1922

You're gonna have to wait due to the movie. Midnight Mass + Chaplewaite are as close as you're gonna get, and the combo of the two almost simultaneously gave me my fix.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

BB did you watch the one with Rob Lowe?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t know how data privacy and ads work in 2022 but lmfao this had me rolling.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BiggerBoat posted:

How’s the 1922 movie? I only read the story last year, probably my second favorite story in Full Dark, No Stars but it’s hard to pick a favorite since all of them were really good (and dark).

Salem’s Lot is probably still my all time Kijg favorite. One of the few books that has ever seriously creeped me out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

1922 was very good I thought.

Dr. Faustus posted:

BB did you watch the one with Rob Lowe?

I did not

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Didn't want to presume.

It reminded me of the CBS The Shining adaptation in the sense it was very faithful to the source. In that way, it can't go wrong.

Just like The Shining, though, it will find other ways to go wrong.

I'd be pleased to learn if you enjoy it. If you decide to give it a go.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The thing that makes the CBS adaptation of The Shining kinda cool to me is that it was actually filmed at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO - which was the real-life inspiration, the hotel where Stephen King actually worked as a caretaker once in the 1970s. And it’s especially cool to me as someone who lives half an hour away from Estes Park and has driven by the Stanley dozens of times (and went inside to check it out a few times too) on the way to go rock-climbing in Rocky Mountain National Park.

I know I’ve probably mentioned it before but it never really fails to creep me out how many real-life locations I have in common with King novels. Never mind that I grew up in Maine, and the only other place I’ve lived for longer than a couple months is Colorado, in and around Boulder, but there’s also the fact that we had a summer house on Kezar Lake two doors down from the own owned by Stephen King. The guy who lived between us was a mutual friend of ours named Dick Beckhardt, and having Roland walk in that house in Book 7 of the Dark Tower series was beyond surreal. Like reading a Game of Thrones book and having Jon Snow time-travel back to your actual childhood neighbor’s home and have an extended scene there :psyduck:

Thought my head was going to explode the first time I read that. At least I didn’t have to use my imagination much to imagine what the surroundings looked like for all those scenes in and around Lovell (I think he called the town by another name probably to keep tourists away, like how he renamed the real-life Palmer Lane to “Turtleback Lane” for similar (as well as mythology-related) reasons. But then, I suppose I’m in a somewhat unique position to know exactly what was invented or taken from real life as it relates to the scenes in and around that particular area, it wasn’t exactly densely populated.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In retrospect i really should have realized King had been a hotel caretaker at some point in his life, him being pissed about the Kubrick Shining adaptation makes even more sense now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've started Fairy Tale. I'm intrigued so far but man the first couple of chapters are a tough read for me, having had close family battle alcoholism.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I've started Fairy Tale. I'm intrigued so far but man the first couple of chapters are a tough read for me, having had close family battle alcoholism.

I just recently had a dog die of old age, so maybe thats why I enjoyed this so much. I think this is definitely in his top half of novels.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, I’m about two thirds of the way through Fairy Tale and am *really* enjoying it. It feels sort of…. Oddly wholesome and whimsical, for Stephen King.

Like, I mentioned all the tropes that seemed consistent to his work so far in a previous post, but there are just as many tropes (many of them less pleasant ones) that are totally absent from this book. For example, there are almost ZERO scatological references, and the only time making GBS threads/farting is mentioned it’s actually in a somewhat tasteful manner, which is not something I ever thought I’d say about a Stephen King book. There’s no child abuse or pedophilia either, in fact there’s no sexual violence of any kind at all.

I should add that none of this feels forced or like King is consciously trying to sanitize himself, it all just seems to suit the nature of the story. Which (as far as I can tell) is essentially about a boy going on a quest to save his beloved dog - quite wholesome. There are countless charming little fairy tale allusions scattered throughout which also strike me as wholesome (and nostalgic) in a way that’s a little unusual for King.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is FT new? What’s it about? I know I could google these but I like this thread.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Rolo posted:

Is FT new? What’s it about? I know I could google these but I like this thread.

yeah it just came out last Tuesday

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned but he's got a new one called Fairy Tale

Stephen King’s latest is not horror but “dark fantasy,” and it’s just as full of magic, adventure, and the temptations of treasure as the title implies. High schooler Charlie Reade, narrator and protagonist, feels he owes the universe after his alcoholic dad finally gives up booze. Repaying that cosmic debt—by helping a mysterious neighbor who, it turns out, has a doorway to another world—sets Charlie on a quest to save his beloved dog and defeat evil in a cursed land. In Fairy Tale, King takes tropes and twists them, making for a highly entertaining read as Charlie fights to find his way home and earn his happily ever after.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Are there any really cringe patented Stephen King Sex Moments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The children in the sewer.