Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

re: Joe Hill, may be unpopular opinion around here but I loving love Horns. I'm a sucker for stories where completely inexplicable poo poo happens and is never explained. I mean, I appreciate "The Moving Finger" for gently caress sakes.

Also "Pop Art" is the best short story I've read in 20 years.

Pop Art is so good. You start off amused by the premise and at the end you're like, pondering life. Also NOS4A2 absolutely slaps and is like "what if Stephen King wrote a really good antagonist AND had a good ending?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

I went and looked at the synopsis for this, it really sounds like a grab bag of his dad's favorite ideas and themes remixed but if the pacing is right I can see how it would be very engaging.

The details are really where it excels, it’s very well written and the whole thing with the talents that come with a severe price is very much one of those things where you realize after “oh, right, you had a brilliant but alcoholic/cokehead father”.

Joe Hill has a talent for good turns of phrase that really sells the book. If I had my kindle handy I would post some highlights now, will probably edit them into this post in a bit.

java
May 7, 2005

I’m re-reading Tommyknockers and it’s amazing to me how this book is both incredible storytelling and also just, terrible at the same time.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I love the Tommyknockers, it's a book written to express the very real struggle King dealt with in the 80's of "drugs and alcohol can make you more creative, at the cost of destroying you" with a fun metaphor about aliens.

And then it's a bloated rambling mess that does seem like it's written by someone struggling with those substances. I still like it though, that metaphor gets me.

java
May 7, 2005

FreezingInferno posted:

I love the Tommyknockers, it's a book written to express the very real struggle King dealt with in the 80's of "drugs and alcohol can make you more creative, at the cost of destroying you" with a fun metaphor about aliens.

And then it's a bloated rambling mess that does seem like it's written by someone struggling with those substances. I still like it though, that metaphor gets me.

It’s absolutely a bloated rambling mess, but I’ll be goddamned if the first few chapters don’t draw you in. It’s surprising (even with how awful King is about writing from a woman’s POV) if the sentence construction, brooding sense of unease, and backstory technique isn’t right on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

java posted:

It’s absolutely a bloated rambling mess, but I’ll be goddamned if the first few chapters don’t draw you in. It’s surprising (even with how awful King is about writing from a woman’s POV) if the sentence construction, brooding sense of unease, and backstory technique isn’t right on.

The pacing is the worst part. Sometimes it moves forwards fast (david's magic show!) and sometimes it moves in fits and starts/shits and farts. I identified well with Gard, who was well written, and hated Bobbi, who was not. It was a good book buried in an awful one but I will always remember the killer coke machine.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Duma Key was really good, my only complaint is that it laid on the foreshadowing incredibly thickly, even for Stephen King.

That's the point. It's like watching a train barreling towards a cliff but the button that says "brake" just speeds it up

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

the killer coke machine.

But enough about King's highschool nicknames

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That's the point. It's like watching a train barreling towards a cliff but the button that says "brake" just speeds it up

I don’t mind the foreshadowing per se but it was just so heavy handed that it took me out of the book sometimes.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I will always remember the killer coke machine.

I was always partial to the flying smoke alarms of death.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Duma Key was really good, my only complaint is that it laid on the foreshadowing incredibly thickly, even for Stephen King.

Pretty sure I read that book when it came out and I cannot remember a single thing about it.

Count me in for the Tommyknockers as underrated classic club. It's uneven but still some great writing in there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I don’t mind the foreshadowing per se but it was just so heavy handed that it took me out of the book sometimes.

it read like king was finally trying to follow an outline for a novel and reminding himself to stay on track

and then he still pulls a jive-talking ventriloquist out of his rear end during the last act

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Since I can't find a Joe Hill thread I'll keep talking about him here, as he is son of King.

I'm reading his bibliography in chronological order and while 20th Century Ghosts was a fantastic anthology; Heart Shaped Box is almost daring me to continue reading it. I'm about a third through, but it's like my Kindle weighs 40lbs every time I try to read more. It's just so...meh. I know Hill can write a good novel (read NOS4A2 last year and loved it). This being his first full length outing, it almost seems like he feels he has something to prove. I hope it takes a turn, because it's just not really there.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm about halfway through NOS4A2 and it feels so much like a Stephen King novel I can't imagine not posting about it in the Stephen King thread. Good book so far though, though I'd say it feels more like post-van King than pre. That said I like post-van King a lot.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Untrustable posted:

I'm reading his bibliography in chronological order and while 20th Century Ghosts was a fantastic anthology; Heart Shaped Box is almost daring me to continue reading it. I'm about a third through, but it's like my Kindle weighs 40lbs every time I try to read more. It's just so...meh.

Just wait till you get to The Fireman. Boy, was that one a slog.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Just wait till you get to The Fireman. Boy, was that one a slog.

The Fireman kind of killed my hope for Joe Hill. It was bad.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Hill isn't for me, I think. Nos4a2 was the best one of the ones I've read (horns and hearth shaped box being the others) , but even that I'd only rank at mid-level king imo

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, the Fireman was bad. I thought NOS4A2 was fun, Horns was okay. I do like Locke and Key though.

April
Jul 3, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, the Fireman was bad. I thought NOS4A2 was fun, Horns was okay. I do like Locke and Key though.

Warning: I get wordy.

My opinion, in chronological order cause I'm OCD like that.

20th Century Ghosts - a super solid collection of short stories, with Best New Horror & Pop Art lingering long after I finished reading them. Like years after.

Heart-Shaped Box - I was expecting JH to be just like SK, but Box showed that Hill is capable of much more of an edge. Jude Coyne was kind of a dick, and not overly concerned with redemption, but by the end I kind of loved him.

Horns - I think this is the book Hill had the most fun writing, and as heartbreaking as the end became (the letter!! I can't read it without misting up), the silly puns and song lyrics and snakes and bizarre confessions were just so balls-to-the-wall crazy that you either stomp out in disgust, or just go with it and have a blast. I was in the latter camp, and this one might just be my favorite of his books.

NOS4A2 - This one reads like Hill was trying to be more like his dad. He mostly succeeds, and I thought the characters were great, and Manx and the car were creepy as hell and the ending tied up everything in a satisfactory way. There was just a little too much of everything.

The Fireman - I.... wanted to love it. But it felt like a great setup followed by a fizzle and an extra hundred pages or so tacked on just because. I don't know, I just didn't feel it the way I did the others.

All that said....

I have met Joe Hill a few times, and he's a VERY nice, personable guy, very grateful to the fans who come out to see him, smart, funny, and seemingly mostly unaffected by his father's fame & status. So I kind of hate to say anything negative about his books, because, well, he's just so NICE. But I think he's lost some of his passion & edginess & tolerance for risk. I don't know if it's because he was able to succeed without using his dad's name & can chill a bit, or whether his very public battle with mental illness has had anything to do with it (and the fact that he's spoken out so much, to try to fight the stigma makes me feel like a jerk even more). I am not certain, but I think he got divorced & remarried in there somewhere as well, so maybe he's in a calmer state of mind & can't summon the demons like he used to. But I'll keep reading his stuff regardless, because even when it's bad, at least some parts are always excellent.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

April posted:

But I think he's lost some of his passion & edginess & tolerance for risk. I don't know if it's because he was able to succeed without using his dad's name & can chill a bit, or whether his very public battle with mental illness has had anything to do with it (and the fact that he's spoken out so much, to try to fight the stigma makes me feel like a jerk even more). I am not certain, but I think he got divorced & remarried in there somewhere as well, so maybe he's in a calmer state of mind & can't summon the demons like he used to. But I'll keep reading his stuff regardless, because even when it's bad, at least some parts are always excellent.

So, like father like son?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Khizan posted:

So, like father like son?

You're probably joking, but I think it's too early to say. SK has gone through cycles where he writes a lot of great stuff, then he gets sober and writes some garbage then he gets his mojo back but then he gets hit by a van and loses it again till he gets it back and so on and so forth. Hill may be going through a down cycle & he'll ramp back up, or maybe he only had a few great stories in him & will coast on fumes for a while till he just moves on to something else. I will be kind of sad if he completely loses his touch though, those early books are freakin delicious.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Untrustable posted:

Since I can't find a Joe Hill thread I'll keep talking about him here, as he is son of King.

I'm reading his bibliography in chronological order and while 20th Century Ghosts was a fantastic anthology; Heart Shaped Box is almost daring me to continue reading it. I'm about a third through, but it's like my Kindle weighs 40lbs every time I try to read more. It's just so...meh. I know Hill can write a good novel (read NOS4A2 last year and loved it). This being his first full length outing, it almost seems like he feels he has something to prove. I hope it takes a turn, because it's just not really there.

I had written off (heh) Joe Hill after Heart Shaped Box was highly recommended and I didn’t care for it. Something about a retired death metal guy who gets a hand injury and spends most of the book refusing to go to the hospital? I watched Horns, also not good but that might have been Daniel Radcliffe being mopey.

Will check out the short story collections, those sound better.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I had written off (heh) Joe Hill after Heart Shaped Box was highly recommended and I didn’t care for it. Something about a retired death metal guy who gets a hand injury and spends most of the book refusing to go to the hospital? I watched Horns, also not good but that might have been Daniel Radcliffe being mopey.

Will check out the short story collections, those sound better.

His short stories are all good except the ones he wrote with his dad. Some of them aren't even really horror. Hill goes to some weird places and gives you weird slice of life stuff with no real resolution but it's ok because it's just slice of life stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheAardvark posted:

I'm about halfway through NOS4A2 and it feels so much like a Stephen King novel I can't imagine not posting about it in the Stephen King thread. Good book so far though, though I'd say it feels more like post-van King than pre. That said I like post-van King a lot.

He definitely had a bit of a slump after he got waffled by the van but he’s rebounded for sure- things like 11/22/63 and Revival are as excellent as Dreamcatcher was awful.

Dreamcatcher was such a mess, I basically couldn’t follow it towards the end there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dreamcatcher was such a mess, I basically couldn’t follow it towards the end there.

I read the book and saw the movie in theaters and I'm still not sure why I did either.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I remember a poop demon from the Dreamcatcher movie. Or at least some kind of monster that came out of a toilet. I mostly remember being surprised that THIS is what Damian Lewis decided to follow up Band of Brothers with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

I remember a poop demon from the Dreamcatcher movie. Or at least some kind of monster that came out of a toilet. I mostly remember being surprised that THIS is what Damian Lewis decided to follow up Band of Brothers with.

Shitweasals. Which is such a great name for a horror monster, I wish it was in a better book.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I always remember the segment where they're in the middle of a chase sequence and the friendly army guy starts reminiscing about getting a total rage-boner from smashing up his elderly neighbour's house.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

You’d think poo poo weasels couldn’t be topped, but then you get Duddits. Then the movie director picked up that gauntlet and gave us those eyebrows.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vulgar posted:

You’d think poo poo weasels couldn’t be topped, but then you get Duddits. Then the movie director picked up that gauntlet and gave us those eyebrows.

Making Duddits an alien in the movie was one of the most baffling alterations I had ever seen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Making Duddits an alien in the movie was one of the most baffling alterations I had ever seen.

That reveal had the previously silent and pissed off crowd laughing their asses off in the theater.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The script was so bad it killed Lawrence Kasdan’s career for a decade. That’s just insane.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The script was so bad it killed Lawrence Kasdan’s career for a decade. That’s just insane.

What has he done since other than write Solo with his son?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm in the "tommyknockers was pretty entertaining despite lovely pacing" club. I thought it was engaging enough to keep going despite it being another story about an alcoholic novelist

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Listened to Bazaar of Bad Dreams over the last few weeks. Really good production quality for an audiobook, except for Drunken Fireworks which had narration so terrible I just skipped it entirely.

Any thoughts on Gwendy's Button Box? I enjoyed it, but it felt a little strange for RF to make an appearance again after so many years for a relatively inconsequential story. Is Gwendy's Magic Feather worth checking out?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Tommyknockers posted:

Then there were the Jorgensons out on the Miller Bog Road. Benny Jorgenson died of a stroke, and Iva remarried three years later, becoming Iva Haney. Not long after, her seven-year-old son and five-year-old daughter started having household mishaps. The boy fell getting out of the tub; the girl burned her arm on the stove. Then the boy slipped on the kitchen floor and broke his arm and the girl stepped on a rake half-buried in fallen leaves and the handle spanged her upside the head. Last but hardly least, the boy stumbled on the basement stairs while going after some kindling and fractured his skull. For a while it looked as if he wasn't going to pull through. It was a real run of bad luck, all right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stephen King really got the horror of abuse and how it's often swept under the rug.

E: If the site doesn't continue on, it's been a lot of fun talking about my favorite author with all you guys over the last decade (holy poo poo, ten years?).

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 25, 2020

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lowtax is Steve Kemp and the bed he's jizzing on is a giant book called "How to Not Beat Women"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I won't be happy till Lowtax is sent to Altair-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I won't be happy till Lowtax is sent to Altair-4

What about wherever the Buick 8 sent people? Seems like a lovely spot.