Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

My wife is watching it. I elected to pass. I'll be curious about what she thinks because she likes some hot garbage sometimes.

Anyway I came into this thread because I'm actually reading King for the first time. Picked up The Outsider at the library. I'm surprised at how workmanlike his writing is. Maybe it's purposeful because of the story and characters, being cops and all, but I still though it would be more stylized.

I'm about halfway through this 600 page book and the characters are just starting to clue into the fact that there might be something fishy going on. Easy read though, the chapters are about 1.5 pages long. Is that a common King thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Alright cool, will do, thanks all. I'm not disliking The Outsider or anything, it's perfectly fine. I guess the short chapters and plain writing was a choice to make it seem more like a police procedural (which, so far, it is), so the style fits the story.

I'll definitely read another, more lauded book after this one. I never liked horror movies so I'm not sure if I've actually seen any movies based on his novels except for The Shining and Christine. And Doctor Sleep, which I thought was excellent.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

You don't like horror movies or horror in general? If it's that latter, read some of the Bachman books. Different Seasons might work well for you.

I never even thought to look at what the library had for Bachman. I will check that out. Thanks!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm back, I was reading The Outsider a few pages ago. I finished, the last 150 pages or so was a bit of a grind, but that may be because my brain is smooth enough to be a telescope mirror. The book probably could have been tightened up a one or two hundred pages or so. I still enjoyed it though, because it's not like the writing was bad.

Re: ending chat, I thought this was a pretty good ending. Sniper shootout, characters going into the cave, and a rather funny dialogue exchange where the outsider says "that's ridiculous and offensive" at being called "just" a run of the mill pedophile. He went down like a chump though. I had to reread one paragraph a few times to make sure I didn't miss something.
Probably thematically appropriate that the scariest monsters to kids (ie, pesos) aren't any danger to adults.

There's enough information about the mechanics of the outsider, without getting stupidly specific like the outsider is from planet zarkxon or whatever. Either way, thematically this book isn't about that at all, and clearly the outsider represents real life pedos, some of whom can fit in just fine with the community, but secretly are monsters.

Characters are obviously King's strength. Maybe one too many cops that I couldn't keep track of, but no biggie.

All in all, I'll take the suggestions you guys posted a couple pages ago and pick out another book.